OREMUS: 12 March 2012

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Mar 11 17:00:00 GMT 2012

OREMUS for March 12

Repent,
for the kingdom of heaven has come near.
Let us worship God.

Blessed are you, eternal God,
your kingdom has broken
into our troubled world
through the life, death,
and resurrection of your Son.
You call us to hear your word and obey it,
and bring your saving love
to fruition in our lives.

For God alone my soul in silence waits;*
 from him comes my salvation.
He alone is my rock and my salvation,*
 my stronghold, so that I shall
 not be greatly shaken.
How long will you assail me to crush me,
all of you together,*
 as if you were a leaning fence,
 a toppling wall?
They seek only to bring me down
from my place of honour;*
 lies are their chief delight.
They bless with their lips,*
 but in their hearts they curse.
For God alone my soul in silence waits;*
 truly, my hope is in him.
He alone is my rock and my salvation,*
 my stronghold, so that I shall not be shaken.
In God is my safety and my honour;*
 God is my strong rock and my refuge.
Put your trust in him always, O people,*
 pour out your hearts before him,
 for God is our refuge.
Those of high degree
are but a fleeting breath,*
 even those of low estate cannot be trusted.
On the scales they are lighter than a breath,*
 all of them together.
Put no trust in extortion;
in robbery take no empty pride;*
 though wealth increase,
 set not your heart upon it.
God has spoken once, twice have I heard it,*
 that power belongs to God.
Steadfast love is yours, O Lord,*
 for you repay everyone
 according to his deeds.

Psalm 63

O God, you are my God;
eagerly I seek you;*
 my soul thirsts for you,
 my flesh faints for you,
 as in a barren and dry land
 where there is no water;
Therefore I have gazed upon you
in your holy place,*
 that I might behold
 your power and your glory.
For your loving-kindness
is better than life itself;*
 my lips shall give you praise.
So will I bless you as long as I live*
 and lift up my hands in your name.
My soul is content,
as with marrow and fatness,*
 and my mouth praises you with joyful lips,
When I remember you upon my bed,*
 and meditate on you in the night watches.
For you have been my helper,*
 and under the shadow of your wings
 I will rejoice.
My soul clings to you;*
 your right hand holds me fast.
May those who seek my life to destroy it*
 go down into the depths of the earth;
Let them fall upon the edge of the sword,*
 and let them be food for jackals.
But the king will rejoice in God;
all those who swear by him will be glad,*
 for the mouth of those
 who speak lies shall be stopped.

Psalm 64

Hear my voice, O God, when I complain;*
 protect my life from fear of the enemy.
Hide me from the conspiracy
of the wicked,*
 from the mob of evildoers.
They sharpen their tongue like a sword,*
 and aim their bitter words like arrows,
That they may shoot down
the blameless from ambush;*
 they shoot without warning
 and are not afraid.
They hold fast to their evil course;*
 they plan how they may hide their snares.
They say, 'Who will see us?
who will find out our crimes?*
 we have thought out a perfect plot.'
The human mind and heart are a mystery;*
 but God will loose an arrow at them,
 and suddenly they will be wounded.
He will make them trip over their tongues,*
 and all who see them will shake their heads.
Everyone will stand in awe
and declare God's deeds;*
 they will recognise his works.
The righteous will rejoice in the Lord
and put their trust in him,*
 and all who are true of heart will glory.

FIRST READING [Ezekiel 15]:

The word of the Lord came to me:
O mortal,
how does the wood of the vine
surpass all other wood—the vine branch
that is among the trees of the forest?
Is wood taken from it to make anything?
Does one take a peg from it
on which to hang any object?
It is put in the fire for fuel;
when the fire has consumed both ends of it
and the middle of it is charred,
is it useful for anything?
When it was whole it was used for nothing;
how much less—when the fire has consumed it,
and it is charred—
can it ever be used for anything!

Therefore thus says the Lord God: Like the wood of the vine among the trees of the forest, which I have given to the fire for fuel, so I will give up the inhabitants of Jerusalem. I will set my face against them; although they escape from the fire, the fire shall still consume them; and you shall know that I am the Lord, when I set my face against them. And I will make the land desolate, because they have acted faithlessly, says the Lord God.

HYMN
Words: Percy Dearmer (1867-1936)
Tune: Zum Frieden (87 87 D)

Thou true vine, that heals the nations,
Tree of life, thy branches we.
They who leave thee fade and wither,
None bear fruit except in thee,
Cleanse us, make us sane and simple,
Till we merge our lives in thine,
Gain ourselves in thee, the vintage,
Give ourselves through thee, the vine.

Nothing can we do without thee;
On thy life depends each one;
If we keep thy words and love thee,
All we ask for shall be done.
May we, loving one another,
Radiant in thy light abide;
So through us, made fruitful by thee,
Shall our God be glorified.

SECOND READING [Romans 6:1-11]:

What then are we to say? Should we continue in sin in order that grace may abound? By no means! How can we who died to sin go on living in it? Do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? Therefore we have been buried with him by baptism into death, so that, just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, so we too might walk in newness of life.

For if we have been united with him in a death like his, we will certainly be united with him in a resurrection like his. We know that our old self was crucified with him so that the body of sin might be destroyed, and we might no longer be enslaved to sin. For whoever has died is freed from sin. But if we have died with Christ, we believe that we will also live with him. We know that Christ, being raised from the dead, will never die again; death no longer has dominion over him. The death he died, he died to sin, once for all; but the life he lives, he lives to God. So you also must consider yourselves dead to sin and alive to God in Christ Jesus.

Save your people, Lord, and bless your inheritance,
Govern and uphold them now and always.

Day by day, we bless you;
We praise your name for ever.

Keep us today, Lord, from all sin;

Have mercy on us, Lord, have mercy.

We long for your salvation, O Lord:
grant us understanding, that we may live.

Lord, show us your love and mercy,
For we put our trust in you.

In you, Lord, is our hope:
Let us not be confounded at the last

Gracious God,
let your boundless compassion
cleanse and sustain your Church,
and since without you it cannot stand,
support it and keep it faithful to your word.
We make this prayer through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Let the bread of our service,
blessed and broken in Christ's hands,
be spiritual food to feed this world's hunger. Amen.
The psalms are from _Celebrating Common Prayer_ (Mowbray), (c) The Society of Saint Francis 1992, which is used with permission. The biblical passage is from The New Revised Standard Version (Anglicized Edition), copyright (c) 1989, 1995 by the Division of Christian Education of  the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA. Used by permission. All rights reserved. The opening sentence is Matthew 4:17. The opening prayer of thanksgiving is from _Evangelical Lutheran Worship_, (c) 2006 Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. The collect and closing sentence are from _Celebrating the Christian Year_ by Alan Griffiths. The intercession is from _Common Worship: Daily Prayer_, material from which is included in this service is copyright (c) The Archbishops( Council.