OREMUS: 6 March 2012

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Mar 5 17:00:01 GMT 2012

OREMUS for March 6

O God, make speed to save us.
O Lord, make haste to help us.

May I never boast of anything
except the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ,
by which the world is crucified to me,
and I to the world.
Let us worship God.

Blessed are you, God of the covenant,
in the mystery of the cross
you promise everlasting life to the world.
You gather all peoples into your arms,
and shelter us with your mercy,
that we may rejoice in the life we share
in your Son, Jesus Christ, our Savior and Lord.

I will exalt you, O Lord,
because you have lifted me up*
 and have not let my enemies
 triumph over me.
O Lord my God, I cried out to you,*
 and you restored me to health.
You brought me up, O Lord,
from the dead;*
 you restored my life
 as I was going down to the grave.
Sing to the Lord, you servants of his;*
 give thanks for the remembrance
 of his holiness.
For his wrath endures
but the twinkling of an eye,*
 his favour for a lifetime.
Weeping may spend the night,*
 but joy comes in the morning.
While I felt secure, I said,
'I shall never be disturbed.*
 You, Lord, with your favour,
 made me as strong as the mountains.'
Then you hid your face,*
 and I was filled with fear.
I cried to you, O Lord;*
 I pleaded with the Lord, saying,
'What profit is there in my blood,
if I go down to the Pit?*
 will the dust praise you
 or declare your faithfulness?
'Hear, O Lord, and have mercy upon me;*
 O Lord, be my helper.'
You have turned my wailing into dancing;*
 you have put off my sack-cloth
 and clothed me with joy;
Therefore my heart sings
to you without ceasing;*
 O Lord my God, I will give
 you thanks for ever.

Psalm 31

In you, O Lord, have I taken refuge;
let me never be put to shame;*
 deliver me in your righteousness.
Incline your ear to me;*
 make haste to deliver me.
Be my strong rock, a castle to keep me safe,
for you are my crag and my stronghold;*
 for the sake of your name,
 lead me and guide me.
Take me out of the net
that they have secretly set for me,*
 for you are my tower of strength.
Into your hands I commend my spirit,*
 for you have redeemed me,
 O Lord, O God of truth.
I hate those who cling to worthless idols,*
 and I put my trust in the Lord.
I will rejoice and be glad
because of your mercy;*
 for you have seen my affliction;
 you know my distress.
You have not shut me up
in the power of the enemy;*
 you have set my feet in an open place.
Have mercy on me, O Lord,
for I am in trouble;*
 my eye is consumed with sorrow,
 and also my throat and my belly.
For my life is wasted with grief,
and my years with sighing;*
 my strength fails me because of affliction,
 and my bones are consumed.
I have become a reproach to all my enemies
and even to my neighbours,
a dismay to those of my acquaintance;*
 when they see me in the street
 they avoid me.
I am forgotten like the dead, out of mind;*
 I am as useless as a broken pot.
For I have heard
the whispering of the crowd;
fear is all around;*
 they put their heads together against me;
 they plot to take my life.
But as for me,
I have trusted in you, O Lord.*
 I have said, 'You are my God.
'My times are in your hand;*
 rescue me from the hand of my enemies,
 and from those who persecute me.
'Make your face
to shine upon your servant,*
 and in your loving-kindness save me.'
Lord, let me not be ashamed
for having called upon you;*
 rather, let the wicked be put to shame;
 let them be silent in the grave.
Let the lying lips be silenced
which speak against the righteous,*
 haughtily, disdainfully and with contempt.
How great is your goodness, O Lord,
which you have laid up
for those who fear you;*
 which you have done in the sight of all
 for those who put their trust in you.
You hide them
in the covert of your presence
from those who slander them;*
 you keep them in your shelter
 from the strife of tongues.
Blessed be the Lord!*
 for he has shown me
 the wonders of his love
 in a besieged city.
Yet I said in my alarm, 'I have been cut off
from the sight of your eyes.'*
 Nevertheless, you heard
 the sound of my entreaty
 when I cried out to you.
Love the Lord, all you who worship him;*
 the Lord protects the faithful,
 but repays to the full
 those who act haughtily.
Be strong and let your heart take courage,*
 all you who wait for the Lord.

FIRST READING [Ezekiel 12:1-20]:

The word of the Lord came to me: Mortal, you are living in the midst of a rebellious house, who have eyes to see but do not see, who have ears to hear but do not hear; for they are a rebellious house. Therefore, mortal, prepare for yourself an exile's baggage, and go into exile by day in their sight; you shall go like an exile from your place to another place in their sight. Perhaps they will understand, though they are a rebellious house. You shall bring out your baggage by day in their sight, as baggage for exile; and you shall go out yourself at evening in their sight, as those do who go into exile. Dig through the wall in their sight, and carry the baggage through it. In their sight you shall lift the baggage on your shoulder, and carry it out in the dark; you shall cover your face, so that you may not see the land; for I have made you a sign for the house of Israel.

I did just as I was commanded. I brought out my baggage by day, as baggage for exile, and in the evening I dug through the wall with my own hands; I brought it out in the dark, carrying it on my shoulder in their sight.

In the morning the word of the Lord came to me: Mortal, has not the house of Israel, the rebellious house, said to you, 'What are you doing?' Say to them, 'Thus says the Lord God: This oracle concerns the prince in Jerusalem and all the house of Israel in it.' Say, 'I am a sign for you: as I have done, so shall it be done to them; they shall go into exile, into captivity.' And the prince who is among them shall lift his baggage on his shoulder in the dark, and shall go out; he shall dig through the wall and carry it through; he shall cover his face, so that he may not see the land with his eyes. I will spread my net over him, and he shall be caught in my snare; and I will bring him to Babylon, the land of the Chaldeans, yet he shall not see it; and he shall die there. I will scatter to every wind all who are around him, his helpers and all his troops; and I will unsheathe the sword behind them. And they shall know that I am the Lord, when I disperse them among the nations and scatter them through the countries. But I will let a few of them escape from the sword, from famine and pestilence, so that they may tell of all their abominations among the nations where they go; then they shall know that I am the Lord.

The word of the Lord came to me: Mortal, eat your bread with quaking, and drink your water with trembling and with fearfulness; and say to the people of the land, Thus says the Lord God concerning the inhabitants of Jerusalem in the land of Israel: They shall eat their bread with fearfulness, and drink their water in dismay, because their land shall be stripped of all it contains, on account of the violence of all those who live in it. The inhabited cities shall be laid waste, and the land shall become a desolation; and you shall know that I am the Lord.

HYMN
Words: Charles Wesley (1707-1788)
Tune: St Petersburg

Weary souls that wander wide
>From the central point of bliss,
Turn to Jesus crucified,
Fly to those dear wounds of his:
Sink into the cleansing flood;
Rise into the life of God.

Find in Christ the way of peace,
Peace unspeakable, unknown;
By his pain he gives you ease,
Life by his expiring groan:
Rise, exalted by his fall;
Find in Christ your all in all.

O believe the record true :
God to you his Son hath given.
Ye may now be happy too,
Find on earth the life of heaven,
Live the life of heaven above,
All the life of glorious love.

This is the universal bliss,
Bliss for every soul designed;
God's divinest promise this,
God's great gift to all mankind:
Blest in Christ this moment be!
Blest to all eternity!

SECOND READING [Romans 3:9-20]:

What then? Are we any better off? No, not at all; for we have already charged that all, both Jews and Greeks, are under the power of sin, as it is written: 'There is no one who is righteous, not even one; there is no one who has understanding, there is no one who seeks God. All have turned aside, together they have become worthless; there is no one who shows kindness, there is not even one.'

'Their throats are opened graves; they use their tongues to deceive.'

'The venom of vipers is under their lips.'

'Their mouths are full of cursing and bitterness.'

'Their feet are swift to shed blood;  ruin and misery are in their paths, and the way of peace they have not known.'

'There is no fear of God before their eyes.'

Now we know that whatever the law says, it speaks to those who are under the law, so that every mouth may be silenced, and the whole world may be held accountable to God. For 'no human being will be justified in his sight' by deeds prescribed by the law, for through the law comes the knowledge of sin.

Eternal God, we praise you for your mighty love given in Christ's sacrifice on the cross, and the new life we have received by his resurrection. Especially we thank you for
the presence of Christ in our weakness and suffering...
(We thank you, Lord.)
the ministry of Word and Sacrament...
all who work to help and heal...
sacrifices made to our benefit...
opportunities for our generous giving...

God of grace, let our concern for others reflect Christ's selfgiving love, not only in our prayers, but also in our practice. Especially we pray for
those subjected to tyranny and oppression...
(Lord, hear our prayer.)
wounded and injured people...
those who face death...
those who may be our enemies...
the church in Latin America...

Helper of the helpless,
Comfort of the afflicted,
may your servants who stand in the midst of evil
find strength in the knowledge of your presence,
and praise you for the wonders of your love;
through Jesus Christ our Redeemer. Amen.

Trusting in God's compassion,

Watch over your Church
with your perpetual steadfast love;
support us hen our human weakness falters;
and guide us to the things that will save us. Amen.
The psalms are from _Celebrating Common Prayer_ (Mowbray), (c) The Society of Saint Francis 1992, which is used with permission. The biblical passage is from The New Revised Standard Version (Anglicized Edition), copyright (c) 1989, 1995 by the Division of Christian Educationof  the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA. Used by permission. All rights reserved. The opening sentence is Galatians 6:14. The opening prayer of thanksgiving is from _Evangelical Lutheran Worship_, (c) 2006 Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. The closing sentence is from _Celebrating the Christian Year_ by Alan Griffiths.