OREMUS: 1 February 2012

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue Jan 31 17:00:00 GMT 2012

OREMUS for February 1
Brigid, Abbess of Kildare, ca. 525

Brigid (also known as Bride) was born in the latter part of the fifth century, of humble origin just five miles from Kildare. She was to become first a nun in the monastery there and then its Abbess. She is believed to have been baptised by St Patrick and the stories of her portray a woman of great compassion. She is even said to have been consecrated a bishop by Bishop Ibor, because of her resemblance to the Virgin Mary, but this may have been put abroad to support the claim of the primacy of the Abbey of Kildare. By her prayers and miracles, she is reputed to have strongly influenced the formation of the Church throughout Ireland, where she is, with St Patrick, the patron saint. She died in about the year 525.

Let your light shine before others,
so that they may see your good works
and give glory to your Father in heaven.
Let us worship God.

Glory and praise to God the Father,
the Almighty, the Creator,
the Lord of our whole universe.
Glory and praise to the Son, the Redeemer,
who has removed our fear and our guilt
by taking the world’s sin upon himself.
Glory and praise to the Spirit,
our guide and our hope,
by whom we are built up
in fellowship, knowledge and love.
To the Trinity, one God,
the source of life and truth and wholeness,
be all honour and power and glory
from the whole creation until the end of time.

Lord, do not rebuke me in your anger;*
 do not punish me in your wrath.
Have pity on me, Lord, for I am weak;*
 heal me, Lord, for my bones are racked.
My spirit shakes with terror;*
 how long, O Lord, how long?
Turn, O Lord, and deliver me;*
 save me for your mercy’s sake.
For in death no one remembers you;*
 and who will give you thanks in the grave?
I grow weary because of my groaning;*
 every night I drench my bed
   and flood my couch with tears.
My eyes are wasted with grief*
 and worn away because of all my enemies.
Depart from me, all evildoers,*
 for the Lord has heard
 the sound of my weeping.
The Lord has heard my supplication;*
 the Lord accepts my prayer.
All my enemies shall be confounded
and quake with fear;*
 they shall turn back
 and suddenly be put to shame.

Psalm 7

O Lord my God, I take refuge in you;*
 save and deliver me
 from all who pursue me;
Lest like a lion they tear me in pieces*
 and snatch me away
 with none to deliver me.
O Lord my God,
if I have done these things:*
 if there is any wickedness in my hands,
If I have repaid my friend with evil,*
 or plundered one
 who without cause is my enemy;
Then let my enemy pursue
and overtake me,*
 trample my life into the ground,
 and lay my honour in the dust.
Stand up, O Lord, in your wrath;*
 rise up against the fury of my enemies.
Awake, O my God, decree justice;*
 let the assembly of the peoples
 gather round you.
Be seated on your lofty throne,
O Most High;*
 O Lord, judge the nations.
Give judgement for me
according to my righteousness, O Lord,*
 and according to my innocence,
 O Most High.
Let the malice of the wicked come to an end,
but establish the righteous;*
 for you test the mind and heart,
 O righteous God.
God is my shield and defence;*
 he is the saviour of the true in heart.
God is a righteous judge;*
 God sits in judgement every day.
If they will not repent,
God will whet his sword;*
 he will bend his bow and make it ready.
He has prepared his weapons of death;*
 he makes his arrows shafts of fire.
Look at those
who are in labour with wickedness,*
 who conceive evil and give birth to a lie.
They dig a pit and make it deep*
 and fall into the hole that they have made.
Their malice turns back
upon their own head;*
 their violence falls on their own scalp.
I will bear witness
that the Lord is righteous;*
 I will praise the name
 of the Lord Most High.

Psalm 8

O Lord our governor,*
 how exalted is your name in all the world!
Out of the mouths of infants and children*
 your majesty is praised above the heavens.
You have set up a stronghold
against your adversaries,*
 to quell the enemy and the avenger.
When I consider your heavens,
the work of your fingers,*
 the moon and the stars
 you have set in their courses,
What are mortals,
that you should be mindful of them?*
 mere human beings,
 that you should seek them out?
You have made them
little lower than the angels;*
 you adorn them with glory and honour.
You give them mastery
over the works of your hands;*
 and put all things under their feet,
All sheep and oxen,*
 even the wild beasts of the field,
The birds of the air, the fish of the sea,*
 and whatsoever walks
 in the paths of the sea.
O Lord our governor,*
 how exalted is your name in all the world!
FIRST READING [Genesis 13:2-18]:

Now Abram was very rich in livestock, in silver, and in gold. He journeyed on by stages from the Negeb as far as Bethel, to the place where his tent had been at the beginning, between Bethel and Ai, to the place where he had made an altar at the first; and there Abram called on the name of the Lord. Now Lot, who went with Abram, also had flocks and herds and tents, so that the land could not support both of them living together; for their possessions were so great that they could not live together, and there was strife between the herders of Abram's livestock and the herders of Lot's livestock. At that time the Canaanites and the Perizzites lived in the land.

Then Abram said to Lot, 'Let there be no strife between you and me, and between your herders and my herders; for we are kindred. Is not the whole land before you? Separate yourself from me. If you take the left hand, then I will go to the right; or if you take the right hand, then I will go to the left.' Lot looked about him, and saw that the plain of the Jordan was well watered everywhere like the garden of the Lord, like the land of Egypt, in the direction of Zoar; this was before the Lord had destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah. So Lot chose for himself all the plain of the Jordan, and Lot journeyed eastwards; thus they separated from each other. Abram settled in the land of Canaan, while Lot settled among the cities of the Plain and moved his tent as far as Sodom. Now the people of Sodom were wicked, great sinners against the Lord.

The Lord said to Abram, after Lot had separated from him, 'Raise your eyes now, and look from the place where you are, northwards and southwards and eastwards and westwards; for all the land that you see I will give to you and to your offspring for ever. I will make your offspring like the dust of the earth; so that if one can count the dust of the earth, your offspring also can be counted. Rise up, walk through the length and the breadth of the land, for I will give it to you.' So Abram moved his tent, and came and settled by the oaks of Mamre, which are at Hebron; and there he built an altar to the Lord.

HYMN
Words: Im aonarán dom ins an slied, Attributed to Columba of Iona (521-597)
Tune: Emain Macha, Sowby (86 86 88)

Alone with none but thee, my God,
I journey on my way:
What need I fear when thou art near,
O King of night and day?
More safe am I within thy hand
Than if a host should round me stand.

My destined time is known to thee,
And death will keep his hour;
Did warriors strong around me throng,
They could not stay his power:
No walls of stone can man defend
When thou thy messenger dost send.

My life I yield to thy decree,
And bow to thy control
In peaceful calm, for from thine arm
No power can wrest my soul:
Could earthly omens e'er appal
A man that heeds the heavenly call?

The child of God can fear no ill,
His chosen, dread no foe;
We leave our fate with thee, and wait
Thy bidding when to go:
'Tis not from chance our comfort springs,
Thou art our trust, O King of kings.

SECOND READING [Hebrews 12:1-4]:

Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight and the sin that clings so closely, and let us run with perseverance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus the pioneer and perfecter of our faith, who for the sake of the joy that was set before him endured the cross, disregarding its shame, and has taken his seat at the right hand of the throne of God.

Consider him who endured such hostility against himself from sinners, so that you may not grow weary or lose heart. In your struggle against sin you have not yet resisted to the point of shedding your blood.

Merciful God,
you give us every good gift.
Hear our prayers which we now offer
through your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

We pray for your Church.
May our divisions be healed,
that we may go into the world
proclaiming your Good News.
Lord, in your mercy:
hear our prayer.

We pray for the physical
and spiritual well-being
of our family and friends,
that they may rejoice
in your mercy and love
and share in your joy
in your heavenly Kingdom.
Lord, in your mercy:
hear our prayer.

We pray for those who work,
especially those who are stressed
or overwhelmed,
that they may know
you are their refuge and strength.
Lord, in your mercy:
hear our prayer.

We pray for those who are persecuted
for fighting for justice and liberty,
that they may remember
that you are the source
of all things just and free.
Lord, in your mercy:

by grace alone you call us
and accept us in your service.
Strengthen us by your Spirit
and make us worthy of your call.
Through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Creator of life and light,
you call your people
to holiness of life and a compassionate spirit;
grant that like Brigid of Kildare
we may show your love
to the poor and the hungry
and follow with zeal and devotion the way
of your Son Jesus Christ, our Redeemer. Amen.

God, jolt our lives to turn and look at you once more. Amen.

The biography is from Exciting Holiness © European Province of the Society of Saint Francis, 1997. The opening sentence is Matthew 5:16. The opening prayer of thanksgiving is from the Church of Scotland. The closing sentence is adapted from _Chalice Worship_, (c) Chalice Press, 1997. Reproduced with permission. The second collect is from For All the Saints, Anglican Church of New Zealand.