OREMUS: 31 January 2012

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Jan 30 17:00:01 GMT 2012

OREMUS for January 31

Do not be afraid,
says the Lord,
for I am with you.
Let us worship God.

Blessed are you,
O God of of all the prophets,
you knew us and chose us
before you formed us in the womb.
You fill us with faith
that speaks your word,
hope that does  not disappoint,
and love that bears all things for your sake,
until that day when we shall know you fully,
even as we are known by you.
Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

Alleluia! How good it is
to sing praises to our God!*
 how pleasant it is
 to honour him with praise!
He makes grass
to grow upon the mountains*
He is not impressed
by the might of a horse,*
 he has no pleasure in human strength;
But the Lord has pleasure
in those who fear him,*
 in those who await his gracious favour.
Worship the Lord, O Jerusalem;*
 praise your God, O Zion;
For he has strengthened
the bars of your gates;*
 he satisfies you with the finest wheat.
He sends out his command to the earth,*
 and his word runs very swiftly.
He gives snow like wool;*
 he scatters hoarfrost like ashes.
 who can stand against his cold?
He declares his word to Jacob,*

Alleluia! Praise the Lord from the heavens;*
 he gave them a law
 which shall not pass away.
Praise the Lord from the earth,*
 you sea-monsters and all deeps;
 the children of Israel,
 a people who are near him. Alleluia!

Psalm 149

Alleluia! Sing to the Lord a new song;*
 sing his praise
 in the congregation of the faithful.
Let Israel rejoice in his maker;*
 let the children of Zion
 be joyful in their king.
Let them praise his name in the dance;*
 let them sing praise to him
 with timbrel and harp.
 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

Alleluia! Praise God in his holy temple;*
Praise him with the blast of the ram’s-horn;*
 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.
Let everything that has breath*
 praise the Lord. Alleluia!

FIRST READING [Genesis 12:9-13:1]:

And Abram journeyed on by stages towards the Negeb.

Now there was a famine in the land. So Abram went down to Egypt to reside there as an alien, for the famine was severe in the land. When he was about to enter Egypt, he said to his wife Sarai, 'I know well that you are a woman beautiful in appearance; and when the Egyptians see you, they will say, “This is his wife”; then they will kill me, but they will let you live. Say you are my sister, so that it may go well with me because of you, and that my life may be spared on your account.' When Abram entered Egypt the Egyptians saw that the woman was very beautiful. When the officials of Pharaoh saw her, they praised her to Pharaoh. And the woman was taken into Pharaoh's house. And for her sake he dealt well with Abram; and he had sheep, oxen, male donkeys, male and female slaves, female donkeys, and camels.

But the Lord afflicted Pharaoh and his house with great plagues because of Sarai, Abram's wife. So Pharaoh called Abram, and said, 'What is this you have done to me? Why did you not tell me that she was your wife? Why did you say, “She is my sister”, so that I took her for my wife? Now then, here is your wife; take her, and be gone.' And Pharaoh gave his men orders concerning him; and they set him on the way, with his wife and all that he had.

So Abram went up from Egypt, he and his wife and all that he had, and Lot with him, into the Negeb.

HYMN
Words: Thomas H Gill (1819-1906)
Tune: Cornwall (886 D)

Not, Lord, Thine ancient works alone,
Thy wonders to past ages shown,
Make our glad spirits glow;
Our eyes behold Thy works of might;
On us full beam Thy wonders bright;
The living God we know.

We joy not only to be told
How with Thy saints and seers of old
Thou madest sweet abode:
We of Thy presence bright can tell;
Thou in Thy living saints dost dwell:
We trust the living God.

Thou settest us each task divine;
We bless that helping hand of Thine,
This strength by Thee bestowed:
Thou minglest in the glorious fight,
Thine own the cause, Thine own the might;
We serve the living God.

Ah! soon we droop; ah! soon we tire;
Our fainting hearts new strength require,
Again would quickened be:
We ask no priest; we seek no shrine;
To Thee we come, for life divine,
Thou living God, to Thee!

O more than satisfy our need;
Our inmost divine desires exceed;
Our daily quickener be:
Thou living God, possess us still;
Thy wondrous life in us fulfil,
Our blessed life in Thee!

SECOND READING [Hebrews 11:32-40]:

And what more should I say? For time would fail me to tell of Gideon, Barak, Samson, Jephthah, of David and Samuel and the prophets— who through faith conquered kingdoms, administered justice, obtained promises, shut the mouths of lions, quenched raging fire, escaped the edge of the sword, won strength out of weakness, became mighty in war, put foreign armies to flight. Women received their dead by resurrection. Others were tortured, refusing to accept release, in order to obtain a better resurrection. Others suffered mocking and flogging, and even chains and imprisonment. They were stoned to death, they were sawn in two, they were killed by the sword; they went about in skins of sheep and goats, destitute, persecuted, tormented— of whom the world was not worthy. They wandered in deserts and mountains, and in caves and holes in the ground.

Yet all these, though they were commended for their faith, did not receive what was promised, since God had provided something better so that they would not, without us, be made perfect.

you bring your chosen people
together in one communion,
in the body of your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.
We rejoice in your light and your peace
for your whole Church in heaven and on earth.
Lord of mercy:
Lord, hear us.

Give to all who mourn
a sure confidence in your loving care,
that we may cast all our sorrow on you,
and know the consolation of your love.
Lord of mercy:
Lord, hear us.

Give your faithful people pardon and peace,
that we may be cleansed from all our sins,
and serve you with a quiet mind.
Lord of mercy:
Lord, hear us.

Give us strength to meet the days ahead
in the joyful expectation of eternal life
with those you love.
Lord of mercy:
Lord, hear us.

Give to us who are still in our pilgrimage,
and who walk as yet by faith,
your Holy Spirit to lead us
in holiness and righteousness all our days.
Lord of mercy:
Lord, hear us.

May all who have been made one with Christ
in his death and in his resurrection
die to sin and rise to newness of life.
Lord of mercy:
Lord, hear us.

Lord God, King of the Universe,
you show the bright glory of your reign
in acts of mercy and enduring love:
raise the spirits of the downcast
and restore those who have fallen away,
that your Church may continually sing of your saving help;

May we always delight
in the blessing of your life-giving grace. Amen.

The opening sentence is Jeremiah 1:8. The opening prayer of thanksgiving is adapted from a prayer reprinted from _Revised Common Lectionary Prayers_, copyright (c) 2002 Consultation on Common Texts. The closing sentence is adapted from a prayer in the 1998 Sacramentary.