OREMUS: 30 January 2012

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Jan 29 17:00:00 GMT 2012

OREMUS for January 30
Charles, King and Martyr, 1649

Born in 1600, the second son of James the First, Charles became heir apparent when he was twelve years old on the death of his brother. He succeeded to the throne in 1625, where he came up against the increasing power of an antagonistic Parliament. Combined with the religious puritanism which was prevalent, this made Charles staunch in his resistance of the power of either force in the land. He frequently dismissed sittings of Parliament and tried to enforce high-church Anglican practice on all, throughout both kingdoms of England and Scotland. Opposition resulted in civil war. After Charles' imprisonment and trial, he was put to death on this day in 1649. Although some see him as a victim of his own pride, his faith and willingness to suffer and die for what he believed in are not in doubt.

Your kingdom, O Lord,
is an everlasting kingdom,
and your dominion endures from age to age.
Let us worship God.

Blessed are you, O God,
your Spirit teaches us
the hidden wisdom of the gospel,
so that we may hunger and thirst for holiness,
work tirelessly for peace,
and be counted among those
who seek first the blessedness
of your kingdom.
For these and all you mercies, we praise you,
Father, Son, and Holy Spirit:
Blessed be God forever!

Blessed be the Lord my rock!*
 who trains my hands to fight
 and my fingers to battle;
My help and my fortress,
my stronghold and my deliverer,*
 my shield in whom I trust,
 who subdues the peoples under me.
O Lord, what are we
that you should care for us?*
 mere mortals that you should think of us?
We are like a puff of wind;*
 our days are like a passing shadow.
Bow your heavens, O Lord,
and come down;*
 touch the mountains and they shall smoke.
Hurl the lightning and scatter them;*
 shoot out your arrows and rout them.
Stretch out your hand from on high;*
 rescue me and deliver me
 from the great waters,
 from the hand of foreign peoples,
Whose mouths speak deceitfully*
 and whose right hand is raised in falsehood.
O God, I will sing to you a new song;*
 I will play to you on a ten-stringed lyre.
You give victory to kings*
 and have rescued David your servant.
Rescue me from the hurtful sword*
 and deliver me
 from the hand of foreign peoples,
Whose mouths speak deceitfully*
 and whose right hand is raised in falsehood.
May our sons be like plants
well nurtured from their youth,*
 and our daughters like
 sculptured corners of a palace.
May our barns be filled to overflowing*
 with all manner of crops;
May the flocks in our pastures
increase by thousands
and tens of thousands;*
 may our cattle be fat and sleek.
May there be no breaching of the walls,
no going into exile,*
 no wailing in the public squares.
Happy are the people of whom this is so!*
 happy are the people
 whose God is the Lord!

Psalm 145

I will exalt you, O God my King,*
 and bless your name for ever and ever.
Every day will I bless you*
 and praise your name for ever and ever.
Great is the Lord and greatly to be praised;*
 there is no end to his greatness.
One generation shall praise
your works to another*
 and shall declare your power.
I will ponder
the glorious splendour of your majesty*
 and all your marvellous works.
They shall speak
of the might of your wondrous acts,*
 and I will tell of your greatness.
They shall publish the remembrance
of your great goodness;*
 they shall sing of your righteous deeds.
The Lord is gracious
and full of compassion,*
 slow to anger and of great kindness.
The Lord is loving to everyone*
 and his compassion is over all his works.
All your works praise you, O Lord,*
 and your faithful servants bless you.
They make known
the glory of your kingdom*
 and speak of your power;
That the peoples may know of your power*
 and the glorious splendour
 of your kingdom.
Your kingdom is an everlasting kingdom;*
 your dominion endures throughout all ages.
The Lord is faithful in all his words*
 and merciful in all his deeds.
The Lord upholds all those who fall;*
 he lifts up those who are bowed down.
The eyes of all wait upon you, O Lord,*
 and you give them their food in due season.
You open wide your hand*
 and satisfy the needs
 of every living creature.
The Lord is righteous in all his ways*
 and loving in all his works.
The Lord is near to those
who call upon him,*
 to all who call upon him faithfully.
He fulfils the desire of those who fear him,*
 he hears their cry and helps them.
The Lord preserves all those who love him,*
 but he destroys all the wicked.
My mouth shall speak
the praise of the Lord;*
 let all flesh bless his holy name
 for ever and ever.

Psalm 146

Alleluia! Praise the Lord, O my soul!*
 I will sing praises to my God
 while I have my being.
When they breathe their last,
they return to earth,*
 and in that day their thoughts perish.
Happy are they who have
the God of Jacob for their help!*
Who gives justice
to those who are oppressed,*
 the Lord lifts up those
 who are bowed down;
 your God, O Zion,
 throughout all generations. Alleluia!
FIRST READING [Genesis 11:27-12:8]:

Now these are the descendants of Terah. Terah was the father of Abram, Nahor, and Haran; and Haran was the father of Lot. Haran died before his father Terah in the land of his birth, in Ur of the Chaldeans. Abram and Nahor took wives; the name of Abram's wife was Sarai, and the name of Nahor's wife was Milcah. She was the daughter of Haran the father of Milcah and Iscah. Now Sarai was barren; she had no child.

Terah took his son Abram and his grandson Lot son of Haran, and his daughter-in-law Sarai, his son Abram's wife, and they went out together from Ur of the Chaldeans to go into the land of Canaan; but when they came to Haran, they settled there. The days of Terah were two hundred and five years; and Terah died in Haran.

Now the Lord said to Abram, 'Go from your country and your kindred and your father's house to the land that I will show you. I will make of you a great nation, and I will bless you, and make your name great, so that you will be a blessing. I will bless those who bless you, and the one who curses you I will curse; and in you all the families of the earth shall be blessed.'

So Abram went, as the Lord had told him; and Lot went with him. Abram was seventy-five years old when he departed from Haran. Abram took his wife Sarai and his brother's son Lot, and all the possessions that they had gathered, and the persons whom they had acquired in Haran; and they set forth to go to the land of Canaan. When they had come to the land of Canaan, Abram passed through the land to the place at Shechem, to the oak of Moreh. At that time the Canaanites were in the land. Then the Lord appeared to Abram, and said, 'To your offspring I will give this land.' So he built there an altar to the Lord, who had appeared to him. From there he moved on to the hill country on the east of Bethel, and pitched his tent, with Bethel on the west and Ai on the east; and there he built an altar to the Lord and invoked the name of the Lord.

HYMN
Words: George Rawson (1807-1889)
Tune: Ellacombe, St Matthew

We limit not the truth of God
To our poor reach of mind,
By notions of our day and sect,
Crude, partial, and confined;
No, let a new and better hope
Within our hearts be stirred:
Refrain:
The Lord hath yet more light and truth
To break forth from His word.

Who dares to bind to his dull sense
The oracles of heaven,
For all the nations, tongues, and climes,
And all the ages given?
That universe, how much unknown!
That ocean unexplored!
Refrain

Darkling our great forefathers went
The first steps of the way;
'Twas but the dawning, yet to grow
Into the perfect day.
And grow it shall; our glorious Sun
More fervid rays afford:
Refrain

O Father, Son and Spirit, send
Us increase from above;
Enlarge, expand all Christian souls
To comprehend Thy love:
And make us to go on to know,
With nobler powers conferred,
Refrain

SECOND READING [Hebrews 11:23-31]:

By faith Moses was hidden by his parents for three months after his birth, because they saw that the child was beautiful; and they were not afraid of the king's edict. By faith Moses, when he was grown up, refused to be called a son of Pharaoh's daughter, choosing rather to share ill-treatment with the people of God than to enjoy the fleeting pleasures of sin. He considered abuse suffered for the Christ to be greater wealth than the treasures of Egypt, for he was looking ahead to the reward. By faith he left Egypt, unafraid of the king's anger; for he persevered as though he saw him who is invisible. By faith he kept the Passover and the sprinkling of blood, so that the destroyer of the firstborn would not touch the firstborn of Israel.

By faith the people passed through the Red Sea as if it were dry land, but when the Egyptians attempted to do so they were drowned. By faith the walls of Jericho fell after they had been encircled for seven days. By faith Rahab the prostitute did not perish with those who were disobedient, because she had received the spies in peace.

Father, we pray now for other people,
with whom we share the benefits of your love.
We pray for the people
with whom we share most intimately:
our families, and our friends;
we pray, too, for the people
with whom we find it difficult
to share anything:
those who hate or dislike us,
those whom we fear and distrust;
we pray for all the men and women
and the children who are suffering today:
people who know pain and disease,
poverty and hunger,
fear and doubt, loneliness and sadness;
we pray for people who govern the world:
our own government, and all governments,
all who are involved in political life;
we pray for the affairs of the world,
and the life of the nations:
for peace among the nations,
and peace within each nation;
we pray for the Church of Jesus Christ,
of which we are a part,
and for all Christian work and witness.
Inspire by your love
all who are trying to serve you;
comfort by your love
all who are in trouble;
strengthen by your love
all who bear great responsibility;
create by your love a true sense
of community among humankind;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Almighty and most merciful Father, look down upon us thy unworthy servants through the mediation and merits of Jesus Christ, in whom only thou art well pleased. Purify our hearts by thy Holy Spirit, and as thou dost add days to our lives, so good Lord, we beseech thee to add repentance to our days; that we have passed this mortal life we may be partakers of thine everlasting kingdom; through the merits of Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Almighty God, ruler and sustainer of all things in heaven and earth, you gave to King Charles of England courage patiently to endure to the end for his beliefs; grant us a like willingness to suffer for the truth, to the glory of your name; through Jesus Christ, our king and our Redeemer.
through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever. Amen.

Let all the ends of the earth remember and turn to you, O Lord, for you are the ruler over the nations. Amen.

The biography is from Exciting Holiness © European Province of the Society of Saint Francis, 1997. The opening sentence is Psalm 145:13. The opening prayer of thanksgiving in _Opening Prayers: Collects in Contemporary Language_. Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999. The intercession is from the Church of Scotland. The first collect is by Charles I. The second collect is from For All the Saints, Anglican Church of New Zealand. The closing sentence is Psalm 22:27-28.