OREMUS: 27 January 2012

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu Jan 26 17:00:00 GMT 2012

OREMUS for January 27
John Chrysostom, Bishop of Constantinople, Teacher of the Faith, 407

John was born in Antioch in about 347. He was a brilliant preacher which earned him in the sixth century the surname 'Chrysostom', literally 'golden-mouthed'. He is honoured as one of the four Greek Doctors of the Church. Against his wish he was made Patriarch of Constantinople in 398. He set about reforming the Church and exposing corruption amongst the clergy and in the Imperial administration. "Mules bear fortunes and Christ dies of hunger at your gate," he is alleged to have cried out. He fell foul of the Empress Eudoxia and, in spite of the support of Pope Innocent I of Rome, was sent into exile twice, finally dying of exhaustion and starvation in September 407, with the words "Glory be to God for everything" on his lips.

How sweet are your words to my taste;
sweeter than honey in my mouth.
Let us worship God.

Blessed are you, almighty and eternal God:
we thank you that you created the universe
and that you have revealed yourself to us in human form
in Jesus Christ your Son, our Lord.
We thank you for the mission of love
shown to us by the example
of Christ's life and offering of himself on the cross.

When I was in trouble I called to the Lord,*
 I called to the Lord and he answered me.
Deliver me, O Lord, from lying lips*
 and from the deceitful tongue.
What shall be done to you
and what more besides,*
 O you deceitful tongue?
The sharpened arrows of a warrior,*
 along with hot glowing coals.
How hateful it is
that I must lodge in Meshech*
 and dwell among the tents of Kedar!
Too long have I had to live*
 among the enemies of peace.
I am on the side of peace,*
 but when I speak of it, they are for war.

Psalm 121

I lift up my eyes to the hills;*
 from where is my help to come?
My help comes from the Lord,*
 the maker of heaven and earth.
He will not let your foot be moved*
 and he who watches over you
 will not fall asleep.
Behold, he who keeps watch over Israel*
 shall neither slumber nor sleep;
The Lord himself watches over you;*
 the Lord is your shade at your right hand,
So that the sun shall not strike you by day,*
 nor the moon by night.
The Lord shall preserve you from all evil;*
 it is he who shall keep you safe.
The Lord shall watch over your going out
and your coming in,*
 from this time forth for evermore.

Psalm 122

I was glad when they said to me,*
 'Let us go to the house of the Lord.'
Now our feet are standing*
 within your gates, O Jerusalem.
Jerusalem is built as a city*
 that is at unity with itself.
To which the tribes go up,
the tribes of the Lord,*
 the assembly of Israel,
 to praise the name of the Lord.
For there are the thrones of judgement,*
 the thrones of the house of David.
Pray for the peace of Jerusalem:*
 'May they prosper who love you.
'Peace be within your walls*
 and quietness within your towers.
'For my family and companions' sake,*
   I pray for your prosperity.
'Because of the house of the Lord our God,*
 I will seek to do you good.'

Psalm 123

To you I lift up my eyes,*
 to you enthroned in the heavens.
As the eyes of servants
look to the hand of their masters,*
 and the eyes of a maid
 to the hand of her mistress,
So our eyes look to the Lord our God,*
 until he show us his mercy.
Have mercy upon us, O Lord, have mercy,*
 for we have had
 more than enough of contempt,
Too much of the scorn of the indolent rich,*
 and of the derision of the proud.

Psalm 124

If the Lord had not been on our side,*
 let Israel now say;
If the Lord had not been on our side,*
 when enemies rose up against us;
Then would they have
swallowed us up alive*
 in their fierce anger towards us;
Then would the waters
have overwhelmed us*
 and the torrent gone over us;
Then would the raging waters*
 have gone right over us.
Blessed be the Lord!*
 he has not given us over
 to be a prey for their teeth.
We have escaped like a bird
from the snare of the fowler;*
 the snare is broken and we have escaped.
Our help is in the name of the Lord,*
 the maker of heaven and earth.

Psalm 125

Those who trust in the Lord
are like Mount Zion,*
 which cannot be moved,
 but stands fast for ever.
The hills stand about Jerusalem;*
 so does the Lord
 stand round about his people,
 from this time forth for evermore.
The sceptre of the wicked shall not hold
sway over the land allotted to the just,*
 so that the just
 shall not put their hands to evil.
Show your goodness, O Lord,
to those who are good*
 and to those who are true of heart.
As for those who turn aside
to crooked ways, the Lord will lead them
away with the evildoers;*
 but peace be upon Israel.

FIRST READING [Genesis 11:1-9]:

Now the whole earth had one language and the same words. And as they migrated from the east, they came upon a plain in the land of Shinar and settled there. And they said to one another, 'Come, let us make bricks, and burn them thoroughly.' And they had brick for stone, and bitumen for mortar. Then they said, 'Come, let us build ourselves a city, and a tower with its top in the heavens, and let us make a name for ourselves; otherwise we shall be scattered abroad upon the face of the whole earth.' The Lord came down to see the city and the tower, which mortals had built. And the Lord said, 'Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them. Come, let us go down, and confuse their language there, so that they will not understand one another's speech.' So the Lord scattered them abroad from there over the face of all the earth, and they left off building the city. Therefore it was called Babel, because there the Lord confused the language of all the earth; and from there the Lord scattered them abroad over the face of all the earth.

HYMN
Words: Joachim Neander (1650-1680) paraphrased Robert Bridges (1844-1930)
Tune: Michael, Meine Hoffnung

All my hope on God is founded;
He doth still my trust renew.
Me through change and chance he guideth,
Only good and only true.
God unknown,
He alone
Calls my heart to be his own.

Pride of man and earthly glory,
Sword and crown betray his trust;
What with care and toil he buildeth,
Tower and temple, fall to dust.
But God's power,
Hour by hour,
Is my temple and my tower.

God's great goodness ay endureth,
Deep his wisdom, passing thought:
Splendour, light, and life attend him,
Beauty springeth out of nought.
Evermore,
>From his store
New-born worlds rise and adore.

Daily doth the almighty giver
Bounteous gifts on us bestow.
His desire our soul delighteth,
Pleasure leads us where we go.
Love doth stand
At his hand;
Joy doth wait on his command.

Still from man to God eternal
Sacrifice of praise be done,
High above all praises praising
For the gift of Christ his Son.
Christ doth call
One and all:
Ye who follow shall not fall.

SECOND READING [Hebrews 11:8-12]:

By faith Abraham obeyed when he was called to set out for a place that he was to receive as an inheritance; and he set out, not knowing where he was going. By faith he stayed for a time in the land he had been promised, as in a foreign land, living in tents, as did Isaac and Jacob, who were heirs with him of the same promise. For he looked forward to the city that has foundations, whose architect and builder is God. By faith he received power of procreation, even though he was too old—and Sarah herself was barren—because he considered him faithful who had promised. Therefore from one person, and this one as good as dead, descendants were born, 'as many as the stars of heaven and as the innumerable grains of sand by the seashore.'

We pray for the use
of God's gifts to his Church,
saying Jesus, Lord of your Church:
in your mercy, hear us

God our Father,
you give us gifts that we may work together
in the service of your Son:
Bless those who lead,
that they may be firm in faith,
yet humble before you.
Jesus, Lord of your Church:
in your mercy hear us.

Bless those who teach,
that they may increase our understanding,
and be open to your word for them:
Jesus, Lord of your Church:
in your mercy hear us.

Bless those who minister healing,
that they may bring wholeness to other,
yet know your healing in themselves:
Jesus, Lord of your Church:
in your mercy hear us.

Bless those through whom you speak,
that they may proclaim your word in power,
yet have their ears open
to your gentle whisper:
Jesus, Lord of your Church:
in your mercy hear us.

Bless those who work in your world today
that they may live for you, fulfil your purposes,
and seek your kingdom first
in the complexity of their daily lives.
Jesus, Lord of your Church:
in your mercy hear us.

Bless those who feel
they have no gifts and are not valued,
and those who are powerless
by the world's standards,
that they may share their experience
of the work of your Spirit.
Jesus, Lord of your Church:
in your mercy hear us.

Set my heart on fire with love for you,
O Christ my God,
that in its flame I may love you
with all my heart,
with all my soul, with all my strength,
and my neighbour as myself,
so that keeping your commandments
I may glorify you,
the giver of all good gifts.

O God, you gave a golden eloquence to your servant John that he might declare your justice before the face of the proud and mighty. Grant us, after his example, such faithfulness to your word, that we may strengthen the hearts of the weary and sustain those who are afflicted by wrong; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who is alive and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever. Amen.

Let the words of my mouth and the thoughts of my heart be acceptable in your sight, O Lord, my strength and my redeemer. 	Amen.

The biography is from Exciting Holiness © European Province of the Society of Saint Francis, 1997. The opening sentence is Psalm 119:103. The opening prayer of thanksgiving is adapted from a prayer by Neil Dixon and the closing sentence is Psalm 19:14. The second collect is from For All the Saints, Anglican Church of Canada.