OREMUS: 26 January 2012

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Jan 25 17:00:00 GMT 2012

OREMUS for January 26
Timothy and Titus, Companions of Paul

On the day following the Conversion of St Paul, the Church remembers his two companions, 'partners and fellow-workers in God's service'. Timothy, we are told, had a Jewish mother and a Greek father, whilst Titus was wholly Greek. It was because of Titus that Paul stood out against compulsory circumcision but, to avoid suspicion from other Jews, Timothy was circumcised. They are honoured in the Church for their devotion and faithfulness to the gospel.

The saying is sure
and worthy of full acceptance,
that Christ Jesus
came into the world to save sinners
--of whom I am the foremost.
But for that very reason I received mercy,
so that in me, as the foremost,
Jesus Christ might display
the utmost patience,
making me an example to those
who would come
to believe in him for eternal life.
Let us worship God.

Blessed are you, God,
for the radiance of your Christ,
a light which has dawned for those
who walked in the shadow of death.
We sing the wonders of your saving power
and for the many gifts you bestow on us.

Your word is a lantern to my feet*
 and a light upon my path.
I have sworn and am determined*
 to keep your righteous judgements.
I am deeply troubled;*
 preserve my life, O Lord,
 according to your word.
Accept, O Lord,
the willing tribute of my lips,*
 and teach me your judgements.
My life is always in my hand,*
 yet I do not forget your law.
The wicked have set a trap for me,*
 but I have not strayed
 from your commandments.
Your decrees are my inheritance for ever;*
 truly, they are the joy of my heart.
I have applied my heart
to fulfil your statutes*
 for ever and to the end.
I hate those who have a divided heart,*
 but your law do I love.
You are my refuge and shield;*
 my hope is in your word.
Away from me, you wicked!*
 I will keep the commandments of my God.
Sustain me according to your promise,
that I may live,*
 and let me not be disappointed in my hope.
Hold me up and I shall be safe,*
 and my delight shall be
 ever in your statutes.
You spurn all who stray from your statutes;*
 their deceitfulness is in vain.
In your sight all the wicked of the earth
are but dross;*
 therefore I love your decrees.
My flesh trembles with dread of you;*
 I am afraid of your judgements.
I have done what is just and right;*
 do not deliver me to my oppressors.
Be surety for your servant's good;*
 let not the proud oppress me.
My eyes have failed
from watching for your salvation*
 and for your righteous promise.
Deal with your servant
according to your lovingkindness*
 and teach me your statutes.
I am your servant; grant me understanding,*
 that I may know your decrees.
It is time for you to act, O Lord,*
 for they have broken your law.
Truly, I love your commandments*
 more than gold and precious stones.
I hold all your commandments
to be right for me;*
 all paths of falsehood I abhor.
Your decrees are wonderful;*
 therefore I obey them with all my heart.
When your word goes forth it gives light;*
 it gives understanding to the simple.
I open my mouth and pant;*
 I long for your commandments.
Turn to me in mercy,*
 as you always do to those
 who love your name.
Steady my footsteps in your word;*
 let no iniquity have dominion over me.
Rescue me from those who oppress me,*
 and I will keep your commandments.
Let your countenance shine
upon your servant*
 and teach me your statutes.
My eyes shed streams of tears,*
 because people do not keep your law.
You are righteous, O Lord,*
 and upright are your judgements.
You have issued your decrees*
 with justice and in perfect faithfulness.
My indignation has consumed me,*
 because my enemies forget your words.
Your word has been tested to the uttermost,*
 and your servant holds it dear.
I am small and of little account,*
 yet I do not forget your commandments.
Your justice is an everlasting justice*
 and your law is the truth.
Trouble and distress have come upon me,*
 yet your commandments are my delight.
The righteousness
of your decrees is everlasting;*
 grant me understanding, that I may live.
FIRST READING [Genesis 9:18-29]:

The sons of Noah who went out of the ark were Shem, Ham, and Japheth. Ham was the father of Canaan. These three were the sons of Noah; and from these the whole earth was peopled.

Noah, a man of the soil, was the first to plant a vineyard. He drank some of the wine and became drunk, and he lay uncovered in his tent. And Ham, the father of Canaan, saw the nakedness of his father, and told his two brothers outside. Then Shem and Japheth took a garment, laid it on both their shoulders, and walked backwards and covered the nakedness of their father; their faces were turned away, and they did not see their father's nakedness. When Noah awoke from his wine and knew what his youngest son had done to him, he said, 'Cursed be Canaan; lowest of slaves shall he be to his brothers.' He also said, 'Blessed by the Lord my God be Shem; and let Canaan be his slave. May God make space for Japheth, and let him live in the tents of Shem; and let Canaan be his slave.'

After the flood Noah lived for three hundred and fifty years. All the days of Noah were nine hundred and fifty years; and he died.

HYMN
Words: Charles Wesley (1707-1788)
Tune: From Strength to Strength, St Ethelwald

Soldiers of Christ, arise,
And put your armour on,
Strong in the strength which God supplies
Through his eternal Son;
Strong in the Lord of hosts,
And in his mighty power,
Who in the strength of Jesus trusts
Is more than conqueror.

Stand then in his great might,
With all his strength endued;
But take, to arm you for the fight,
The panoply of God;
That, having all things done,
And all your conflicts passed,
Ye may o'ercome through Christ alone,
And stand entire at last.

Leave no unguarded place,
No weakness of the soul;
Take every virtue, every grace,
And fortify the whole:
Indissolubly joined,
To battle all proceed;
But arm yourselves with all the mind
That was in Christ, your Head.

>From strength to strength go on,
Wrestle, and fight, and pray,
Tread all the powers of darkness down,
And win the well-fought day;
Still let the Spirit cry
In all his soldiers: come!
Till Christ the Lord descend from high,
And take the conquerors home.

Pray, without ceasing pray,
Your captain gives the word;
His summons cheerfully obey,
And call upon the Lord:
To God your every want
In instant prayer display;
Pray always; pray, and never faint;
Pray, without ceasing pray!

In fellowship, alone,
To God with faith draw near,
Approach his courts, besiege his throne
With all the powers of prayer:
Go to his temple, go,
Nor from his altar move;
Let every house his worship know,
And every heart his love.

Pour out your souls to God,
And bow them with your knees,
And spread your hearts and hands abroad,
And pray for Zion's peace;
Your guides and brethren bear
For ever on your mind;
Extend the arms of mighty prayer,
Ingrasping all mankind.

SECOND READING [Hebrews 11:1-7]:

Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. Indeed, by faith our ancestors received approval. By faith we understand that the worlds were prepared by the word of God, so that what is seen was made from things that are not visible.

By faith Abel offered to God a more acceptable sacrifice than Cain's. Through this he received approval as righteous, God himself giving approval to his gifts; he died, but through his faith he still speaks. By faith Enoch was taken so that he did not experience death; and 'he was not found, because God had taken him.' For it was attested before he was taken away that 'he had pleased God.' And without faith it is impossible to please God, for whoever would approach him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him. By faith Noah, warned by God about events as yet unseen, respected the warning and built an ark to save his household; by this he condemned the world and became an heir to the righteousness that is in accordance with faith.

We pray to God our Father, saying:
Lord, may your word
dwell richly in their hearts.

For all Christian people,
knit together by your word of life;
and for all who teach and guard the faith:
Lord, may your word
dwell richly in their hearts.

For those who study
and translate the Scriptures:
Lord, may your word
dwell richly in their hearts.

For those who are mocked
and persecuted for their faith:
Lord, may your word
dwell richly in their hearts.

For those who long to know you,
and your living Word:
Lord, may your word
dwell richly in their hearts.

For those tempted to forsake your way;
for those whose hearts
are hardened and unfeeling,
and for those who threaten war:
Lord, may your word
dwell richly in their hearts.

For those bowed down
with grief, fear or sickness, (especially. . .)
Lord, may your word
dwell richly in their hearts.

Giving thanks for those
who have died in the faith of Christ,
we rejoice with the ever-blessed Virgin Mary
and all your saints,
trusting in the promise of your word fulfilled.
Lord of the Church:
hear our prayer,
and make us one in heart and mind
to serve you in Christ our Lord. Amen.

Righteous Lord God, we ask you to make your face shine upon us that, as we yearn for you, we may know you ever close at hand and rejoice in the life you give; through Jesus Christ our Lord.  Amen.

Almighty God, by the preaching of your apostle Paul you called your servants Timothy and Titus and made them his trusted partners in the work of spreading and establishing your gospel. Strengthen us in this present time to stand fast in all our adversities and to live in true godliness, that with confidence and gladness we may look for the glorious appearing of our Savior Jesus Christ; who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit,

May Christ, who calls us,
make us ready witnesses to him
and multiply the number of those
who acknowledge you
and celebrate your holy Name. Amen.

The biography is from Exciting Holiness © European Province of the Society of Saint Francis, 1997. The opening sentence is 1 Timothy 1:15-16. The opening prayer of thanksgiving and the closing sentence are adapted from _Celebrating the Christian Year_ (c) Canterbury Press, Norwich.