OREMUS: 22 January 2012

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Jan 21 17:00:01 GMT 2012

OREMUS for January 22
The Third Sunday after Epiphany

The time has arrived;
the kingdom of God is upon you.
Repent, and believe the gospel.
Let us worship God.

Blessed are you, God of peace:
for calling the followers of your Son to peace,
not only to have peace but also to make it,
to renounce all violence and all tumult.
You call us to keep the peace
by choosing to endure suffering ourselves
rather than inflict it on others;
you call us to maintain fellowship
where others would break it off.
You call us to renounce hatred and wrong,
that we may overcome evil with good,
and establish the peace of God
in the midst of a world of war and hate.
Blessed be God forever!

 and his mercy endures for ever.
Let all those
whom the Lord has redeemed proclaim*
 that he redeemed them
 from the hand of the foe.
He gathered them out of the lands;*
 from the east and from the west,
   from the north and from the south.
Some wandered in desert wastes;*
 they found no way to a city
 where they might dwell.
They were hungry and thirsty;*
 their spirits languished within them.
Then they cried to the Lord in their trouble,*
 and he delivered them from their distress.
He put their feet on a straight path*
 to go to a city where they might dwell.
Let them give thanks
to the Lord for his mercy*
 and the wonders he does for his children.
For he satisfies the thirsty*
 and fills the hungry with good things.
Some sat in darkness and deep gloom,*
 bound fast in misery and iron;
Because they rebelled
against the words of God*
 and despised the counsel of the Most High.
So he humbled their spirits
with hard labour;*
 they stumbled and there was none to help.
Then they cried to the Lord in their trouble,*
 and he delivered them from their distress.
He led them
out of darkness and deep gloom*
 and broke their bonds asunder.
Let them give thanks
to the Lord for his mercy*
 and the wonders he does for his children.
For he shatters the doors of bronze*
 and breaks in two the iron bars.
Some were fools
and took to rebellious ways;*
 they were afflicted because of their sins.
They abhorred all manner of food*
 and drew near to death's door.
Then they cried to the Lord in their trouble,*
 and he delivered them from their distress.
He sent forth his word and healed them*
 and saved them from the grave.
Let them give thanks
to the Lord for his mercy*
 and the wonders he does for his children.
Let them offer a sacrifice of thanksgiving*
 and tell of his acts with shouts of joy.
Some went down to the sea in ships*
 and plied their trade in deep waters;
They beheld the works of the Lord*
 and his wonders in the deep.
Then he spoke and a stormy wind arose,*
 which tossed high the waves of the sea.
They mounted up to the heavens
   and fell back to the depths;*
 their hearts melted because of their peril.
They reeled and staggered like drunkards*
 and were at their wits' end.
Then they cried to the Lord in their trouble,*
 and he delivered them from their distress.
He stilled the storm to a whisper*
 and quieted the waves of the sea.
Then were they glad because of the calm,*
 and he brought them to the harbour
 they were bound for.
Let them give thanks
to the Lord for his mercy*
 and the wonders he does for his children.
Let them exalt him
in the congregation of the people*
 and praise him in the council of the elders.
The Lord changed rivers into deserts,*
 and water-springs into thirsty ground,
A fruitful land into salt flats,*
 because of the wickedness
 of those who dwell there.
He changed deserts into pools of water*
 and dry land into water-springs.
He settled the hungry there,*
 and they founded a city to dwell in.
They sowed fields and planted vineyards,*
 and brought in a fruitful harvest.
He blessed them,
so that they increased greatly;*
 he did not let their herds decrease.
Yet when they were diminished
and brought low,*
 through stress of adversity and sorrow,
He lifted up the poor out of misery*
 and multiplied their families
 like flocks of sheep.
He pours contempt on princes*
 and makes them wander in trackless wastes.
The upright will see this and rejoice,*
 but all wickedness will shut its mouth.
Whoever is wise will ponder these things,*
 and consider well the mercies of the Lord.

FIRST READING [Jonah 3:1-5,10]:

The word of the Lord came to Jonah a second time, saying, "Get up, go to Nineveh, that great city, and proclaim to it the message that I tell you." So Jonah set out and went to Nineveh, according to the word of the Lord. Now Nineveh was an exceedingly large city, a three days' walk across. Jonah began to go into the city, going a day's walk. And he cried out, "Forty days more, and Nineveh shall be overthrown!" And the people of Nineveh believed God; they proclaimed a fast, and everyone, great and small, put on sackcloth. When God saw what they did, how they turned from their evil ways, God changed his mind about the calamity that he had said he would bring upon them; and he did not do it.

HYMN
Words: Horatius Bonar (1808-1889)
Tune: Quam dilecta

Thy way, not mine, O Lord,
However dark it be!
Lead me by Thine own hand,
Choose out the path for me.
Smooth let it be or rough,
It will be still the best,
Winding or straight, it leads
Right onward to Thy rest.

I dare not choose my lot;
I would not, if I might:
Choose Thou for me, my God;
So shall I walk aright.
The kingdom that I seek
Is Thine; so let the way
That leads to it be Thine,
Else I must surely stray.

Take Thou my cup, and it
With joy or sorrow fill
As best to Thee may seem;
Choose Thou my good and ill.
Not mine, not mine the choice
In things or great or small;
Be Thou my Guide, my Strength,
My Wisdom, and my All.

SECOND READING [John 3:16-21]:

Jesus said, "For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him may not perish but may have eternal life. "Indeed, God did not send the Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him. Those who believe in him are not condemned; but those who do not believe are condemned already, because they have not believed in the name of the only Son of God. And this is the judgment, that the light has come into the world, and people loved darkness rather than light because their deeds were evil. For all who do evil hate the light and do not come to the light, so that their deeds may not be exposed. But those who do what is true come to the light, so that it may be clearly seen that their deeds have been done in God."

Coming before the Father, with confidence we bring our needs and the needs of our world.

We pray for all who die before their expected time, particularly those who suffer a violent death: that they might be brought within the saving embrace of God and welcomed to the peace of their everlasting home. Lord, hear us.

We pray for all who are losing their jobs in the present economic climate; we pray for young people who cannot find a job: that new opportunities might arise to afford them the experience of working in dignity and peace. Lord, hear us.

We pray for the Church throughout the world, particularly in those places where people are persecuted or diminished for living their faith: that every country might honour people’s right to worship in freedom. Lord, hear us.

With the coming of the Olympic Games, we pray for all who travel in hope to the United Kingdom: that they may experience a warm welcome and, without fear or favour, participate to the best of their ability. Lord, hear us.

We pray for the stability of health services around the world: that all who go to hospital might be given the service and attention they need; and that all who minister there might do their work with skill and patience. Lord, hear us.

Beloved Father, hear the prayers that we make and those we struggle to make: through Christ our Lord. Amen.

God of the prophets,
you call us from evil to serve you.
Fulfill in us your commonwealth
of justice and joy,
that the light of your presence
may be revealed to all nations,
to the glory of Jesus' name. Amen.

Nothing is more practical than
finding God, than
falling in Love
in a quite absolute, final way.
What you are in love with,
what seizes your imagination, will affect everything.
It will decide
what will get you out of bed in the morning,
what you do with your evenings,
how you spend your weekends,
what you read, whom you know,
what breaks your heart,
and what amazes you with joy and gratitude.
Fall in Love, stay in love,
and it will decide everything.

The opening sentence is Mark 1:15. The opening prayer of thanksgiving is based on a passage from The Cost of Discipleship by Dietrich Bonhoeffer. The closing prayer is attributed to Fr. Pedro Arrupe, SJ (1907–1991) in _Finding God in All Things: A Marquette Prayer Book_ The petitions are gathered by Redemptorist Publications and are published each Friday on their website: http://www.rpbooks.co.uk/page.php?page=prayers. The collect is reprinted from _Revised Common Lectionary Prayers_, copyright (c) 2002 Consultation on Common Texts