OREMUS: 21 January 2012

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Jan 20 17:00:01 GMT 2012

OREMUS for January 21

Jesus revealed his glory,
and his disciples believed in him.
Let us worship God.

Blessed are you, O Lord,
the day is yours, and the night;
you have prepared the light and the sun;
they continue this day according to your ordinance,
for all things serve you.

Give thanks to the Lord
and call upon his name;*
 make known his deeds among the peoples.
Sing to him, sing praises to him,*
 and speak of all his marvellous works.
Glory in his holy name;*
 let the hearts of those
 who seek the Lord rejoice.
Search for the Lord and his strength;*
 continually seek his face.
Remember the marvels he has done,*
 his wonders and the judgements
 of his mouth,
O offspring of Abraham his servant,*
 O children of Jacob his chosen.
He is the Lord our God;*
 his judgements prevail in all the world.
He has always been mindful
of his covenant,*
 the promise he made
 for a thousand generations:
The covenant he made with Abraham,*
 the oath that he swore to Isaac,
Which he established as a statute for Jacob,*
 an everlasting covenant for Israel,
Saying, 'To you will I give
the land of Canaan*
 to be your allotted inheritance.'
When they were few in number,*
 of little account and sojourners in the land,
Wandering from nation to nation*
 and from one kingdom to another,
He let no one oppress them*
 and rebuked kings for their sake,
Saying, 'Do not touch my anointed*
 and do my prophets no harm.'
Then he called for a famine in the land*
 and destroyed the supply of bread.
He sent a man before them,*
 Joseph, who was sold as a slave.
They bruised his feet in fetters;*
 his neck they put in an iron collar.
Until his prediction came to pass,*
 the word of the Lord tested him.
The king sent and released him;*
 the ruler of the peoples set him free.
He set him as master over his household,*
 as a ruler over all his possessions,
To instruct his princes according to his will*
 and to teach his elders wisdom.
Israel came into Egypt,*
 and Jacob became a sojourner
 in the land of Ham.
The Lord made his people
exceedingly fruitful;*
 he made them stronger than their enemies;
Whose heart he turned,
so that they hated his people,*
 and dealt unjustly with his servants.
He sent Moses his servant,*
 and Aaron whom he had chosen.
They worked his signs among them,*
 and portents in the land of Ham.
He sent darkness and it grew dark;*
 but the Egyptians rebelled
 against his words.
He turned their waters into blood*
 and caused their fish to die.
Their land was overrun by frogs,*
 in the very chambers of their kings.
He spoke and there came swarms of insects*
 and gnats within all their borders.
He gave them hailstones instead of rain,*
 and flames of fire throughout their land.
He blasted their vines and their fig trees*
 and shattered every tree in their country.
He spoke and the locust came,*
 and young locusts without number,
Which ate up all the green plants
in their land*
 and devoured the fruit of their soil.
He struck down the first-born of their land,*
 the first-fruits of all their strength.
He led out his people with silver and gold;*
 in all their tribes
 there was not one that stumbled.
Egypt was glad of their going,*
 because they were afraid of them.
He spread out a cloud for a covering*
 and a fire to give light in the night season.
They asked and quails appeared,*
 and he satisfied them
 with bread from heaven.
He opened the rock and water flowed,*
 so the river ran in the dry places.
For God remembered his holy word*
 and Abraham his servant.
So he led forth his people with gladness,*
 his chosen with shouts of joy.
He gave his people the lands of the nations,*
 and they took the fruit of others' toil,
That they might keep his statutes*
 and observe his laws.
   Alleluia!
FIRST READING [Jeremiah 3:21-4:2]:

A voice on the bare heights is heard,
   the plaintive weeping of Israel's children,
because they have perverted their way,
   they have forgotten the Lord their God:
Return, O faithless children,
   I will heal your faithlessness.

'Here we come to you;
   for you are the Lord our God.
Truly the hills are a delusion,
   the orgies on the mountains.
Truly in the Lord our God
   is the salvation of Israel.
'But from our youth the shameful thing has devoured all for which our ancestors had laboured, their flocks and their herds, their sons and their daughters. Let us lie down in our shame, and let our dishonour cover us; for we have sinned against the Lord our God, we and our ancestors, from our youth even to this day; and we have not obeyed the voice of the Lord our God.'

If you return, O Israel,
says the Lord,
   if you return to me,
if you remove your abominations
from my presence,
   and do not waver,
and if you swear, 'As the Lord lives!'
   in truth, in justice, and in uprightness,
then nations shall be blessed by him,
   and by him they shall boast.

HYMN
Words: William Cowper (1731-1800)
Tune: Redhead no. 4, Wareham, Warrington, Uffingham

Jesus, where'er thy people meet,
there they behold thy mercy-seat;
where'er they seek thee, thou art found,
and every place is hallowed ground.

For thou, within no walls confined,
inhabitest the humble mind;
such ever bring thee where they come,
and going, take thee to their home.

Dear Shepherd of thy chosen few,
thy former mercies here renew;
here to our waiting hearts proclaim
the sweetness of thy saving name.

Here may we prove the power of prayer,
to strengthen faith and sweeten care,
to teach our faint desires to rise,
and bring all heaven before our eyes.

Lord, we are few, but thou art near;
nor short thine arm, nor deaf thine ear;
O rend the heavens, come quickly down,
and make a thousand hearts thine own!

SECOND READING [Titus 2:1-8,11-14]:

But as for you, teach what is consistent with sound doctrine. Tell the older men to be temperate, serious, prudent, and sound in faith, in love, and in endurance.

Likewise, tell the older women to be reverent in behaviour, not to be slanderers or slaves to drink; they are to teach what is good, so that they may encourage the young women to love their husbands, to love their children, to be self-controlled, chaste, good managers of the household, kind, being submissive to their husbands, so that the word of God may not be discredited.

Likewise, urge the younger men to be self-controlled. Show yourself in all respects a model of good works, and in your teaching show integrity, gravity, and sound speech that cannot be censured; then any opponent will be put to shame, having nothing evil to say of us.

For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation to all, training us to renounce impiety and worldly passions, and in the present age to live lives that are self-controlled, upright, and godly, while we wait for the blessed hope and the manifestation of the glory of our great God and Saviour, Jesus Christ. He it is who gave himself for us that he might redeem us from all iniquity and purify for himself a people of his own who are zealous for good deeds.

Most holy and gracious God,
we praise you for the glorious freedom
we have together in Christ Jesus.

You have called us to be brothers and sisters
in the covenant of your Church.
Hear our desire to live in covenant relationships
of binding and loosing,
so that we may truly be your faithful people.
Gracious God,
hear our prayer.

Enlarge our understandings of how we can work together
to raise up your Church and your mission
in this technological age.
Gracious God,
hear our prayer.

Forgive us for not being sensitive to one another
and for preferring to be loners instead of joining in our common cause.
Gracious God,
hear our prayer.

As you have forgiven us, may we forgive one another.
May our love flow like an everlasting river,
making our baptismal covenant a daily reality.
Gracious God,
hear our prayer.

Merciful God,
you brought your people out of slavery
and led them to freedom in the promised land;
feed us on our journey with the bread of heaven
that we may hunger and thirst for righteousness
until your kingdom comes;

The Spirit who hovered over the face of the waters
at creation, at our birth and our baptism,
grant us the gift of the freedom of Christ:
in the name of God,
who created us, who forms us, and who loves us. Amen.

The opening sentence is John 2:11. The opening prayer of thanksgiving is after a prayer by Lancelot Andrewes and the closing sentence is from _Uniting in Worship_, The Uniting Church in Australia.