OREMUS: 19 January 2012

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Jan 18 17:00:00 GMT 2012

OREMUS for January 19

Live lives worthy of the God
who calls us into his kingdom and glory.
Let us worship God.

Blessed are you, O God,
and blessed is your glorious name,
worthy of praise from every mouth,
of confession from every tongue,
of worship from every creature.
You created the world in your grace,
and by your compassion you redeemed it.

Come, let us sing to the Lord;*
 let us shout for joy
 to the rock of our salvation.
Let us come
before his presence with thanksgiving*
 and raise a loud shout to him with psalms.
For the Lord is a great God,*
 and a great king above all gods.
In his hand are the depths of the earth,*
   and the heights of the hills are his also.
The sea is his, for he made it,*
 and his hands have moulded the dry land.
Come, let us bow down and bend the knee,*
 and kneel before the Lord our Maker.
For he is our God,
   and we are the people of his pasture
   and the sheep of his hand.*
 O that today
 you would hearken to his voice!
'Harden not your hearts,
   as your forebears did in the wilderness,*
 at Meribah, and on that day at Massah,
   when they tempted me.
'They put me to the test,*
 though they had seen my works.
'Forty years long
I detested that generation and said,*
 "This people are wayward in their
  hearts;  they do not know my ways."
'So I swore in my wrath,*
 "They shall not enter into my rest."'

 sing to the Lord, all the whole earth.
Sing to the Lord and bless his name;*
 proclaim the good news of his salvation
 from day to day.
Declare his glory among the nations*
 and his wonders among all peoples.
For great is the Lord
and greatly to be praised;*
 he is more to be feared than all gods.
As for all the gods of the nations,
they are but idols;*
 but it is the Lord who made the heavens.
O the majesty and magnificence
of his presence!*
 O the power and the splendour
 of his sanctuary!
Ascribe to the Lord,
you families of the peoples;*
 ascribe to the Lord honour and power.
Ascribe to the Lord
the honour due to his name;*
 bring offerings and come into his courts.
Worship the Lord in the beauty of holiness;*
 let the whole earth tremble before him.
Tell it out among the nations:
'The Lord is king!*
 he has made the world so firm
 that it cannot be moved;
 he will judge the peoples with equity.'
Let the heavens rejoice
and let the earth be glad;
let the sea thunder and all that is in it;*
 let the field be joyful and all that is therein.
Then shall all the trees of the wood
shout for joy before the Lord
when he comes,*
 when he comes to judge the earth.
He will judge the world with righteousness*
 and the peoples with his truth.

Psalm 97

The Lord is king; let the earth rejoice;*
 let the multitude of the isles be glad.
Clouds and darkness are round about him,*
 righteousness and justice
 are the foundations of his throne.
A fire goes before him*
 and burns up his enemies on every side.
His lightnings light up the world;*
 the earth sees it and is afraid.
The mountains melt like wax
at the presence of the Lord,*
 at the presence of the Lord
 of the whole earth.
The heavens declare his righteousness,*
 and all the peoples see his glory.
Confounded be all
who worship carved images
and delight in false gods!*
 Bow down before him, all you gods.
Zion hears and is glad
and the cities of Judah rejoice,*
 because of your judgements, O Lord.
For you are the Lord:
most high over all the earth;*
 you are exalted far above all gods.
The Lord loves those who hate evil;*
 he preserves the lives of his saints
 and delivers them
 from the hand of the wicked.
Light has sprung up for the righteous,*
 and joyful gladness for those
 who are true-hearted.
Rejoice in the Lord, you righteous,*
 and give thanks to his holy name.
FIRST READING [Genesis 6:1-8]:

When people began to multiply on the face of the ground, and daughters were born to them, the sons of God saw that they were fair; and they took wives for themselves of all that they chose. Then the Lord said, 'My spirit shall not abide in mortals for ever, for they are flesh; their days shall be one hundred and twenty years.' The Nephilim were on the earth in those days—and also afterwards—when the sons of God went in to the daughters of humans, who bore children to them. These were the heroes that were of old, warriors of renown.

The Lord saw that the wickedness of humankind was great in the earth, and that every inclination of the thoughts of their hearts was only evil continually. And the Lord was sorry that he had made humankind on the earth, and it grieved him to his heart. So the Lord said, 'I will blot out from the earth the human beings I have created—people together with animals and creeping things and birds of the air, for I am sorry that I have made them.' But Noah found favour in the sight of the Lord.

HYMN
Words: Scottish Paraphrases (1781)
Tune: Almsgiving, Boston, Commandments, Eisenach, Melcombe, Wareham, Warrington, Winchester New

Where high the heavenly temple stands,
the house of God not made with hands,
a great High Priest our nature wears,
the guardian of mankind appears.

He who for men their surety stood,
and poured on earth his precious blood,
pursues in heaven his mighty plan,
the Saviour and the Friend of man.<BR

Though now ascended up on high,
he bends on earth a brother's eye;
partaker of the human name,
he knows the frailty of our frame.

Our fellow-sufferer yet retains
a fellow-feeling of our pains;
and still remembers in the skies
his tears, his agonies and cries.

In every pang that rends the heart
the Man of Sorrows has a part;
he sympathizes with our grief,
and to the sufferer sends relief.

With boldness, therefore, at the throne,
let us make all our sorrows known;
and ask the aid of heavenly power
to help us in the evil hour.

SECOND READING [Hebrews 9:11-15, 24-28]:

But when Christ came as a high priest of the good things that have come, then through the greater and perfect tent (not made with hands, that is, not of this creation), he entered once for all into the Holy Place, not with the blood of goats and calves, but with his own blood, thus obtaining eternal redemption. For if the blood of goats and bulls, with the sprinkling of the ashes of a heifer, sanctifies those who have been defiled so that their flesh is purified, how much more will the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without blemish to God, purify our conscience from dead works to worship the living God! For this reason he is the mediator of a new covenant, so that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance, because a death has occurred that redeems them from the transgressions under the first covenant.

For Christ did not enter a sanctuary made by human hands, a mere copy of the true one, but he entered into heaven itself, now to appear in the presence of God on our behalf. Nor was it to offer himself again and again, as the high priest enters the Holy Place year after year with blood that is not his own; for then he would have had to suffer again and again since the foundation of the world. But as it is, he has appeared once for all at the end of the age to remove sin by the sacrifice of himself. And just as it is appointed for mortals to die once, and after that the judgement, so Christ, having been offered once to bear the sins of many, will appear a second time, not to deal with sin, but to save those who are eagerly waiting for him.

O God our Salvation, you are near to all who call:
hear and answer our prayers.

You are a refuge for the oppressed;
be our stronghold in troubled times.

You stand at the right hand of the needy;
rescue all who are wrongfully condemned.

You raise the poor from the dust;
restore dignity to those who seek refuge.

You give food to the hungry;
uphold the cause of the destitute.

You watch over those who wander and sustain the widow;
provide protection in the face of danger.

You heal the brokenhearted;
bind up the wounds of all who suffer.

You call us to be your Church,
send us out to do your will in the world.

You are a mighty God who loves justice;
establish your equity for all people.

Praise be to you, O Lord;
you hear and answer our prayers.

Creator of all,
we give you thanks for a world full of wonder,
but above all because you have called us
into a holy fellowship with you and with each other.
Guide us in the ways of your new creation,
rooted and grounded in Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Now to him who by the power at work within us
is able to accomplish abundantly far more
than all we can ask or imagine,
to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus
to all generations, forever and ever. Amen.

The opening sentence is 1 Thessalonians 2:12. The opening prayer of thanksgiving is adapted from _Book of Common Order of the Church of Scotland_, (c) 1994, Panel on Worship of the Church of Scotland. The closing sentence is Ephesians 3:20-21, NRSV