OREMUS: 18 January 2012

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue Jan 17 17:00:01 GMT 2012

OREMUS for January 18
The Confession of Saint Peter the Apostle

Today we commemorate the confession of Simon Peter as told in the Gospel according to Matthew. When Jesus asked, 'Who do you say that I am?' Simon spoke up and said, 'You are the Christ, the Son of the living God!' Jesus then responded: 'Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah! It was not flesh and blood that revealed this to you, but my Father in heaven. And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church.'

This Jesus God raised up,
and of that all of us are witnesses.
Let us worship God.

Blessed are you, almighty God,
you inspired Simon Peter
to confess Jesus as the Messiah
and Son of the living God.
You establish your church
on the rock of such faith in Jesus,
so that in unity and peace
it may proclaim one truth
and follow one Lord.

Lord, you have been our refuge*
 from one generation to another.
Before the mountains were brought forth,
   or the land and the earth were born,*
 from age to age you are God.
You turn us back to the dust and say,*
 'Go back, O child of earth.'
For a thousand years in your sight
   are like yesterday when it is past*
 and like a watch in the night.
You sweep us away like a dream;*
 we fade away suddenly like the grass.
In the morning it is green and flourishes;*
 in the evening it is dried up and withered.
For we consume away in your displeasure;*
 we are afraid
 because of your wrathful indignation.
Our iniquities you have set before you,*
 and our secret sins
 in the light of your countenance.
When you are angry, all our days are gone;*
 we bring our years to an end like a sigh.
The span of our life is seventy years,
   perhaps in strength even eighty;*
 yet the sum of them
 is but labour and sorrow,
 for they pass away quickly and we are gone.
Who regards the power of your wrath?*
 who rightly fears your indignation?
So teach us to number our days*
 that we may apply our hearts to wisdom.
Return, O Lord; how long will you tarry?*
 be gracious to your servants.
Satisfy us by your loving-kindness
in the morning;*
 so shall we rejoice and be glad
 all the days of our life.
Make us glad by the measure of the days
that you afflicted us*
 and the years
 in which we suffered adversity.
Show your servants your works*
 and your splendour to their children.
May the graciousness
of the Lord our God be upon us;*
 prosper the work of our hands;
 prosper our handiwork.

Psalm 91
He who dwells
in the shelter of the Most High,*
 abides under the shadow of the Almighty.
He shall say to the Lord,
'You are my refuge and my stronghold,*
 my God in whom I put my trust.'
He shall deliver you
from the snare of the hunter*
 and from the deadly pestilence.
He shall cover you with his pinions,
and you shall find refuge under his wings;*
 his faithfulness shall be
 a shield and buckler.
You shall not be afraid
of any terror by night,*
 nor of the arrow that flies by day;
Of the plague that stalks in the darkness,*
 nor of the sickness
 that lays waste at midday.
A thousand shall fall at your side
and ten thousand at your right hand,*
 but it shall not come near you.
Your eyes have only to behold*
 to see the reward of the wicked.
Because you have made
the Lord your refuge,*
 and the Most High your habitation.
There shall no evil happen to you,*
 neither shall any plague
 come near your dwelling.
For he shall give his angels
charge over you,*
 to keep you in all your ways.
They shall bear you in their hands,*
 lest you dash your foot against a stone.
You shall tread upon the lion and adder;*
 you shall trample the young lion
 and the serpent under your feet.
Because he is bound to me in love,
therefore will I deliver him;*
 I will protect him,
 because he knows my name.
He shall call upon me
and I will answer him;*
 I am with him in trouble,
 I will rescue him and bring him to honour.
With long life will I satisfy him,*
 and show him my salvation.
Psalm 92

It is a good thing
to give thanks to the Lord,*
 and to sing praises to your name,
 O Most High;
To tell of your loving-kindness
early in the morning*
 and of your faithfulness in the night season;
On the psaltery and on the lyre*
 and to the melody of the harp.
For you have made me glad
by your acts, O Lord;*
 and I shout for joy
 because of the works of your hands.
Lord, how great are your works!*
 your thoughts are very deep.
The dullard does not know,
nor does the fool understand,*
 that though the wicked grow like weeds,
 and all the workers of iniquity flourish,
They flourish only to be destroyed for ever;*
 but you, O Lord, are exalted for evermore.
For lo, your enemies, O Lord,
lo, your enemies shall perish,*
 and all the workers of iniquity
 shall be scattered.
But my horn you have exalted
like the horns of wild bulls;*
 I am anointed with fresh oil.
My eyes also gloat over my enemies,*
 and my ears rejoice to hear the doom of the
 wicked who rise up against me.
The righteous shall flourish
like a palm tree,*
 and shall spread abroad
 like a cedar of Lebanon.
Those who are planted
in the house of the Lord*
 shall flourish in the courts of our God;
They shall still bear fruit in old age;*
 they shall be green and succulent;
That they may show
how upright the Lord is,*
 my rock, in whom there is no fault.

FIRST READING [Genesis 4:17-26]:

Cain knew his wife, and she conceived and bore Enoch; and he built a city, and named it Enoch after his son Enoch. To Enoch was born Irad; and Irad was the father of Mehujael, and Mehujael the father of Methushael, and Methushael the father of Lamech. Lamech took two wives; the name of one was Adah, and the name of the other Zillah. Adah bore Jabal; he was the ancestor of those who live in tents and have livestock. His brother's name was Jubal; he was the ancestor of all those who play the lyre and pipe. Zillah bore Tubal-cain, who made all kinds of bronze and iron tools. The sister of Tubal-cain was Naamah.

Lamech said to his wives: 'Adah and Zillah, hear my voice; you wives of Lamech, listen to what I say: I have killed a man for wounding me, a young man for striking me. If Cain is avenged sevenfold, truly Lamech seventy-sevenfold.'

Adam knew his wife again, and she bore a son and named him Seth, for she said, 'God has appointed for me another child instead of Abel, because Cain killed him.' To Seth also a son was born, and he named him Enosh. At that time people began to invoke the name of the Lord.

HYMN
Words: William Walsham How, 1871
Tune: Croft's 136th, Love Unknown

Thou art the Christ, O Lord,
the Son of God most high!
For ever be adored
that Name in earth and sky,
in which, though mortal strength may fail,
the saints of God at last prevail!

O surely he was blest
with blessedness unpriced,
who, taught of God, confessed
the Godhead in the Christ!
For of thy Church, Lord, thou didst own
thy saint a true foundation-stone.

Thrice fallen, thrice restored!
The bitter lesson learned,
that heart for thee, O Lord,
with triple ardor burned.
The cross he took he laid not down
until he grasped the martyr's crown.

O bright triumphant faith,
O courage void of fears!
O love most strong in death,
O penitential tears!
By these, Lord, keep us lest we fall,
and make us go where thou shalt call.

SECOND READING [Acts 4:8-13]:

Then Peter, filled with the Holy Spirit, said to them, 'Rulers of the people and elders, if we are questioned today because of a good deed done to someone who was sick and are asked how this man has been healed, let it be known to all of you, and to all the people of Israel, that this man is standing before you in good health by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom you crucified, whom God raised from the dead. This Jesus is "the stone that was rejected by you, the builders; it has become the cornerstone." There is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given among mortals by which we must be saved.'

Now when they saw the boldness of Peter and John and realized that they were uneducated and ordinary men, they were amazed and recognized them as companions of Jesus.

Eternal God,
you have raised Jesus Christ from the dead
and exalted him to your right hand in glory,
and through him called your Church into being,
that your people might know you,
and that they might make your name known.

We pray for the church
the Church universal, and local....
the unity of the Church....
the ministries of the Church....
the mission of the Church....
the renewal of the Church....
all Christians in this place....

Eternal God, we give you thanks

for the apostolic gospel committed to your Church,
the continuing presence and power of your Spirit,
the ministry of Word, Sacrament and Prayer....

for the divine mission in which we are called to share,
the will to unity and its fruit in common action,
the faithful witness of those who are true to Christ....

for all works of compassion
and every service that proclaims your love.

In peace and unity
may your people offer the unfailing sacrifice of praise,
and make your glory known;

who inspired Simon Peter,
first among the apostles,
to confess Jesus as Messiah and Son of the living God:
Keep your Church steadfast upon the rock of this faith,
so that in unity and peace we may proclaim
the one truth and follow the one Lord,
our Savior Jesus Christ;
who lives and reigns with you,
in the unity of the Holy Spirit,
one God, now and forever. Amen.

let us pray in faith and trust:

- The Lord's Prayer

Stir us with your voice
and enlighten our lives with your grace
that we may give ourselves fully
to Christ's call to mission and ministry. Amen.

The biography is from _For All the Saints_, (c) General Synod of the Anglican Church of Canada, 1994. The opening sentence is Acts 2:32. The opening prayer of thanksgiving is adapted from _Evangelical Lutheran Worship_, (c) 2006 Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. The collect is from The Book of Common Prayer_ (1979)