OREMUS: 9 January 2012

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Jan 8 17:00:00 GMT 2012

OREMUS for January 9
William Laud, Archbishop of Canterbury, 1645

William Laud was appointed Archbishop of Canterbury by his friend and ecclesiastical ally, King Charles, in 1633. The aim of both Archbishop and Monarch was to counter the reforming Puritan movement, which emphasised personal and ecclesial austerity as a means of sustaining conversion. Laud was a High Churchman who felt that the majesty of God should be reflected in the liturgy of the church and rigorously set about ensuring that its ministers should practise what he preached. His relentless approach left no room for variance of practice -- but neither did the Puritans -- and the latter had the upper hand in Parliament and eventually impeached him in 1640 and imprisoned him in the Tower of London. His friend the King did not -- or could not -- come to his assistance and he was beheaded on January 10, 1645

God's love has flooded our hearts,
through the Holy Spirit he has given given us.
Let us worship God.

Blessed are you, Lord our God,
you rule over all things
that have been and ever shall be.
You are the hope of prisoners,
the haven of the tempest-tossed
and refuge to the pilgrim.
You give us minds and hearts
ready to receive
previous gifts from your hands.

We have heard with our ears, O God,
   our forebears have told us,*
 the deeds you did in their days,
   in the days of old.
How with your hand you drove the peoples out
   and planted our forebears in the land;*
 how you destroyed nations and made your people flourish.
For they did not take the land by their sword,
   nor did their arm win the victory for them;*
 but your right hand, your arm,
   and the light of your countenance,
   because you favoured them.
You are my King and my God;*
 you command victories for Jacob.
Through you we pushed back our adversaries;*
 through your name we trampled on those
   who rose up against us.
For I do not rely on my bow,*
 and my sword does not give me the victory.
Surely, you gave us victory over our adversaries*
 and put those who hate us to shame.
Every day we gloried in God,*
 and we will praise your name for ever.
Nevertheless, you have rejected and humbled us*
 and do not go forth with our armies.
You have made us fall back before our adversary,*
 and our enemies have plundered us.
You have made us like sheep to be eaten*
 and have scattered us among the nations.
You are selling your people for a trifle*
 and are making no profit on the sale of them.
You have made us the scorn of our neighbours,*
 a mockery and derision to those around us.
You have made us a byword among the nations,*
 a laughingstock among the peoples.
My humiliation is daily before me,*
 and shame has covered my face;
Because of the taunts of the mockers and blasphemers,*
 because of the enemy and avenger.
All this has come upon us;*
 yet we have not forgotten you,
   nor have we betrayed your covenant.
Our heart never turned back,*
 nor did our footsteps stray from your path;
Though you thrust us down into a place of misery,*
 and covered us over with deep darkness.
If we have forgotten the name of our God,*
 or stretched out our hands to some strange god,
Will not God find it out?*
 for he knows the secrets of the heart.
Indeed, for your sake we are killed all the day long;*
 we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter.
Awake, O Lord! why are you sleeping?*
 Arise! do not reject us for ever.
Why have you hidden your face*
 and forgotten our affliction and oppression?
We sink down into the dust;*
 our body cleaves to the ground.
Rise up and help us,*
 and save us for the sake of your steadfast love.

Psalm 45

My heart is stirring with a noble song;
   let me recite what I have fashioned for the king;*
 my tongue shall be the pen of a skilled writer.
You are the fairest of men;*
 grace flows from your lips,
   because God has blessed you for ever.
Strap your sword upon your thigh, O mighty warrior,*
 in your pride and in your majesty.
Ride out and conquer in the cause of truth*
 and for the sake of justice.
Your right hand will show you marvellous things;*
 your arrows are very sharp, O mighty warrior.
The peoples are falling at your feet,*
 and the king's enemies are losing heart.
Your throne, O God, endures for ever and ever,*
 a sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of your kingdom;
   you love righteousness and hate iniquity;
Therefore God, your God, has anointed you*
 with the oil of gladness above your fellows.
All your garments are fragrant with myrrh, aloes and cassia,*
 and the music of strings from ivory palaces makes you glad.
Kings' daughters stand among the ladies of the court;*
 on your right hand is the queen,
   adorned with the gold of Ophir.
'Hear, O daughter; consider and listen closely;*
 forget your people and your family's house.
'The king will have pleasure in your beauty;*
 he is your master; therefore do him honour.
'The people of Tyre are here with a gift;*
 the rich among the people seek your favour.'
All glorious is the princess as she enters;*
 her gown is clothofgold.
In embroidered apparel she is brought to the king;*
 after her the bridesmaids follow in procession.
With joy and gladness they are brought,*
 and enter into the palace of the king.
'In place of fathers, O king, you shall have sons;*
 you shall make them princes over all the earth.
'I will make your name to be remembered
   from one generation to another;*
 therefore nations will praise you for ever and ever.'

Psalm 46

God is our refuge and strength,*
 a very present help in trouble;
Therefore we will not fear, though the earth be moved,*
 and though the mountains be toppled
   into the depths of the sea;
Though its waters rage and foam,*
 and though the mountains tremble at its tumult.
The Lord of hosts is with us;*
 the God of Jacob is our stronghold.
There is a river whose streams
   make glad the city of God,*
 the holy habitation of the Most High.
God is in the midst of her;
   she shall not be overthrown;*
 God shall help her at the break of day.
The nations make much ado
   and the kingdoms are shaken;*
 God has spoken and the earth shall melt away.
The Lord of hosts is with us;*
 the God of Jacob is our stronghold.
Come now and look upon the works of the Lord,*
 what awesome things he has done on earth.
It is he who makes war to cease in all the world;*
 he breaks the bow and shatters the spear
   and burns the shields with fire.
'Be still, then, and know that I am God;*
 I will be exalted among the nations;
   I will be exalted in the earth.'
The Lord of hosts is with us;*
 the God of Jacob is our stronghold.

FIRST READING [Genesis 1:1-19]:

In the beginning when God created the heavens and the earth, the earth was a formless void and darkness covered the face of the deep, while a wind from God swept over the face of the waters. Then God said, 'Let there be light'; and there was light. And God saw that the light was good; and God separated the light from the darkness. God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And there was evening and there was morning, the first day.

And God said, 'Let there be a dome in the midst of the waters, and let it separate the waters from the waters.' So God made the dome and separated the waters that were under the dome from the waters that were above the dome. And it was so. God called the dome Sky. And there was evening and there was morning, the second day.

And God said, 'Let the waters under the sky be gathered together into one place, and let the dry land appear.' And it was so. God called the dry land Earth, and the waters that were gathered together he called Seas. And God saw that it was good. Then God said, 'Let the earth put forth vegetation: plants yielding seed, and fruit trees of every kind on earth that bear fruit with the seed in it.' And it was so. The earth brought forth vegetation: plants yielding seed of every kind, and trees of every kind bearing fruit with the seed in it. And God saw that it was good. And there was evening and there was morning, the third day.

And God said, 'Let there be lights in the dome of the sky to separate the day from the night; and let them be for signs and for seasons and for days and years, and let them be lights in the dome of the sky to give light upon the earth.' And it was so. God made the two great lights—the greater light to rule the day and the lesser light to rule the night—and the stars. God set them in the dome of the sky to give light upon the earth, to rule over the day and over the night, and to separate the light from the darkness. And God saw that it was good. And there was evening and there was morning, the fourth day.

HYMN
Words: Rebus creatis nil egens, Charles Coffin (1676-1749), tr. Compilers of Hymns Ancient and Modern (1889)
Meter: LM

O God, the joy of heaven above,
Thou didst not need thy creatures' love,
When from thy secret place was said
The word that earth's foundation laid.

Thou spakest:-worlds began to be;
They stand before thy majesty;
And all to their Creator raise
A wondrous harmony of praise.

But ere, O Lord, this lovely earth
>From thy creative will had birth,
Thou in thy counsels didst unfold,
Another world of fairer mould.

That world doth our Redeemer frame,
And build upon his mighty Name;
His Holy Church shall last for aye,
Till time itself hath passed away.

SECOND READING [Hebrews 1:1-6]:

Long ago God spoke to our ancestors in many and various ways by the prophets, but in these last days he has spoken to us by a Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, through whom he also created the worlds. He is the reflection of God's glory and the exact imprint of God's very being, and he sustains all things by his powerful word. When he had made purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high, having become as much superior to angels as the name he has inherited is more excellent than theirs.
 For to which of the angels did God ever say,
'You are my Son;
   today I have begotten you'?
Or again,
'I will be his Father,
   and he will be my Son'?
And again, when he brings the firstborn into the world, he says,
'Let all God's angels worship him.'

Loving God, you care for all your children; you know each one and hear each prayer, you know each house and see each need. Give peace and love to those who call upon you, and receive us into the kingdom of your light.

Bless your Church, here and everywhere. Confirm your people in the faith of the Gospel,
inspire them with love for your house, zeal in your service, and joy in the well-being of your kingdom.

Bless the leaders of the nations, especially __, that they may fulfil their service for the welfare of the people. Bless the whole world with peace. Kindle in the hearts of all people the true love of peace, and guide with your wisdom the leaders of the nations, that your kingdom may advance until the earth be filled with the knowledge of your love.

Bless with your comfort all that are in trouble or pain. Heal those who are sick; support those who are dying; console those who mourn; supply the wants of those who are in need. And be near to those whom now we name in silence . . .

Bless our homes, that love and joy may dwell there; and keep those who are absent from us
within the protection of your love.

Bless us with the remembrance of those people of every age and place, and for those dear to our own hearts, who kept the faith on earth and have entered into the joy of your heavenly presence.
Inspire us by their example, encourage us by their fellowship, and bring us with them at the last
to glory everlasting. Through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Lord, I give and offer up unto you my self and all that is mine, actions and words, repose and silence; preserve and guide me, and direct my hand and mind and tongue to those that are acceptable to you, and keep me from those things which would keep me from Jesus Christ my Lord. Amen.

O God, the everlasting Sovereign,
you ordain the whole of our nature
for delight in the beauty of holiness,
that we may reverence you with our bodies
even as we worship you with our souls.
Lead us in the way of your servant William Laud,
and grant us so to be mindful of his service
that we may never grow weary in our earnest care
for the integrity and welfare of your Church;

Fill your Church, we pray, with all truth,
in all truth with all peace,
that our offering may be grounded upon your mercy
and our worship may be governed by your loveAmen.

The opening sentence is Romans 5:5. The opening prayer of thanksgiving is adapted from a prayer by Alcuin of York. The second collect and closing sentence are from For All the Saints, Anglican Church of Canada. The intercession is _Book of Common Order of the Church of Scotland_, (c) 1994, Panel on Worship of the Church of Scotland. The first prayer is adapted from a prayer by William Laud. The biography is from Exciting Holiness.