OREMUS: 5 January 2012

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Jan 4 17:00:00 GMT 2012

OREMUS for January 5

Blessed are you, loving and merciful God:
when peaceful silence lay over all,
and the night had run half of her swift course,
your all-powerful Word leaped down from heaven,
to take our flesh, to restore us to dignity,
and to reveal the power
of the new and everlasting covenant you have made with us:

http://www.oremus.org/chrocant.html

Psalm 24

The earth is the Lord's and all that is in it,*
 the world and all who dwell therein.
For it is he who founded it upon the seas*
 and made it firm upon the rivers of the deep.
'Who can ascend the hill of the Lord?*
 and who can stand in his holy place?'
'Those who have clean hands and a pure heart,*
 who have not pledged themselves to falsehood,
   nor sworn by what is a fraud.
'They shall receive a blessing from the Lord*
 and a just reward from the God of their salvation.'
Such is the generation of those who seek him,*
 of those who seek your face, O God of Jacob.
Lift up your heads, O gates;
   lift them high, O everlasting doors;*
 and the King of glory shall come in.
'Who is this King of glory?'*
 'The Lord, strong and mighty,
   the Lord, mighty in battle.'
Lift up your heads, O gates;
   lift them high, O everlasting doors;*
 and the King of glory shall come in.
'Who is he, this King of glory?'*
 'The Lord of hosts,
   he is the King of glory.'

Psalm 25

To you, O Lord, I lift up my soul;
   my God, I put my trust in you;*
 let me not be humiliated,
   nor let my enemies triumph over me.
Let none who look to you be put to shame;*
 let the treacherous be disappointed in their schemes.
Show me your ways, O Lord,*
 and teach me your paths.
Lead me in your truth and teach me,*
 for you are the God of my salvation;
   in you have I trusted all the day long.
Remember, O Lord, your compassion and love,*
 for they are from everlasting.
Remember not the sins of my youth
   and my transgressions;*
 remember me according to your love
   and for the sake of your goodness, O Lord.
Gracious and upright is the Lord;*
 therefore he teaches sinners in his way.
He guides the humble in doing right*
 and teaches his way to the lowly.
All the paths of the Lord are love and faithfulness*
 to those who keep his covenant and his testimonies.
For your name's sake, O Lord,*
 forgive my sin, for it is great.
Who are they who fear the Lord?*
 he will teach them the way that they should choose.
They shall dwell in prosperity,*
 and their offspring shall inherit the land.
The Lord is a friend to those who fear him*
 and will show them his covenant.
My eyes are ever looking to the Lord,*
 for he shall pluck my feet out of the net.
Turn to me and have pity on me,*
 for I am left alone and in misery.
The sorrows of my heart have increased;*
 bring me out of my troubles.
Look upon my adversity and misery*
 and forgive me all my sin.
Look upon my enemies, for they are many,*
 and they bear a violent hatred against me.
Protect my life and deliver me;*
 let me not be put to shame, for I have trusted in you.
Let integrity and uprightness preserve me,*
 for my hope has been in you.
Deliver Israel, O God,*
 out of all his troubles.

Psalm 26

Give judgement for me, O Lord,
   for I have lived with integrity;*
 I have trusted in the Lord and have not faltered.
Test me, O Lord, and try me;*
 examine my heart and my mind.
For your love is before my eyes;*
 I have walked faithfully with you.
I have not sat with the worthless,*
 nor do I consort with the deceitful.
I have hated the company of evildoers;*
 I will not sit down with the wicked.
I will wash my hands in innocence, O Lord,*
 that I may go in procession round your altar,
Singing aloud a song of thanksgiving*
 and recounting all your wonderful deeds.
Lord, I love the house in which you dwell*
 and the place where your glory abides.
Do not sweep me away with sinners,*
 nor my life with those who thirst for blood,
Whose hands are full of evil plots,*
 and their right hand full of bribes.
As for me, I will live with integrity;*
 redeem me, O Lord, and have pity on me.
My foot stands on level ground;*
 in the full assembly I will bless the Lord.

FIRST READING [Proverbs 22:1-9]:

A good name is to be chosen rather than great riches,
   and favour is better than silver or gold.
The rich and the poor have this in common:
   the Lord is the maker of them all.
The clever see danger and hide;
   but the simple go on, and suffer for it.
The reward for humility and fear of the Lord
   is riches and honour and life.
Thorns and snares are in the way of the perverse;
   the cautious will keep far from them.
Train children in the right way,
   and when old, they will not stray.
The rich rules over the poor,
   and the borrower is the slave of the lender.
Whoever sows injustice will reap calamity,
   and the rod of anger will fail.
Those who are generous are blessed,
   for they share their bread with the poor.

HYMN
Words: Graham Kendrick
Tune: Meekness and Majesty

Meekness and majesty manhood and deity
In perfect harmony the Man who is God
Lord of eternity dwells in humanity
Kneels in humility and washes our feet
Refrain:
O what a mystery meekness and majesty
Bow down and worship for this is your God
This is your God

Father's pure radiance perfect in innocence
Yet learns obedience to death on a cross
Suffering to give us life
Conquering through sacrifice
And as they crucify prays, "Father forgive." (Refrain)

Wisdom unsearchable God the invisible
Love indestructible in frailty appears
Lord of infinity stooping so tenderly
Lifts our humanity to the heights of His throne. (Refrain)

SECOND READING [1 John 4:19-5:4]:

We love because he first loved us. Those who say, ‘I love God’, and hate their brothers or sisters, are liars; for those who do not love a brother or sister whom they have seen, cannot love God whom they have not seen. The commandment we have from him is this: those who love God must love their brothers and sisters also.

Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ has been born of God, and everyone who loves the parent loves the child. By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and obey his commandments. For the love of God is this, that we obey his commandments. And his commandments are not burdensome, for whatever is born of God conquers the world. And this is the victory that conquers the world, our faith.

Come to us, God of peace.
Come with your healing and your reconciling power.
Come, that fear may be cast out by love;
that weapons may be replaced by trust;
that violence may give way to gentleness:
Come to us, God of peace.

Come to us, God of justice.
Come with your righteous judgments and your mercy.
Come, that we may hear the cries of the oppressed
 in every land;
that we may see the suffering of the poor in our own land;
that we may return to the way of righteousness
	and compassion:
Come to us, God of justice.

Come to us, God of love.
Come with your extravagant kindness and your goodness.
Come, that we may see you in the people
 of every race and culture;
that we may embrace you in the lonely, the bereaved
 and the rejected;
that we may be an accepting and a caring church: Come to us, God of love.

Come to us, God of unity.
Come with your forgiveness and your healing grace.
Come, that we may witness to reconciliation
	for a divided world;
that we may gather around Christ’s table as one people;
that we may affirm one church, one faith, one Lord:
Come to us, God of unity.

Come to us, God of hope.
Come to us with your promises,
come in your mysterious presence.
Come, that we may marvel at your faithfulness
 in past generations;
that we may celebrate the new things you are doing
 among us today;
that we may be your pilgrim people
 on our journey to your kingdom:
 Come to us, God of hope.

Almighty God, source of light and essence of love,
in your mercy, grant that the light
that fell on the stable at Bethlehem
may fall on us,
and the love born in the Christ-child
be born in usus,
that our lives may continually reflect
your light and your love
to the glory of his name. Amen.

let us pray in faith and trust:

 The Lord's Prayer

The Eternal Light shine in our hearts.
The Eternal Light deliver us from evil.
The Eternal God grant us a glimpse of glory.  Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is by Stephen Benner. The closing prayer is by David Adam. The intercession is from Uniting in Worship 2, The Uniting Church in Australia. The collect is by Frank Topping from Daily Prayer