OREMUS: 1 March 2012

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Feb 29 17:00:00 GMT 2012

OREMUS for March 1
David, Bishop of Menevia, Patron of Wales

David, or Dewi, was a monk and a bishop in the sixth century. He was reputed to be an exemplar of the ascetic, spiritual life but was also highly regarded for his kindness and compassion to others, particularly the poor and the sick. He is believed to have founded the monastery at Menevia, now St David's, and also at least a dozen other monasteries. He is said to have based his Rule for his monasteries on that of the Egyptian desert monks, with a strong emphasis on hard work, abstinence from alcohol and a refraining from unnecessary speech. He died in about the year 601 and has been regarded as the patron saint of Wales since at least the twelfth century.

O God, make save to save us.
O Lord, make haste to help us.

Jesus said,
"You did not choose me but I chose you.
And I appointed you to go and bear fruit,
fruit that will last."
Let us worship God.

Blessed are you, God most holy.
Your waters cleanse and refresh the earth.
You give us the water of wisdom to drink
that we may delight
in the love and teaching of Christ.
You pour upon us the water of life,
which leads us to him
who is the living spring,
Christ Jesus your Beloved.

Happy are they who have not walked
  in the counsel of the wicked,*
 nor lingered in the way of sinners,
  nor sat in the seats of the scornful!
Their delight is in the law of the Lord,*
 and they meditate on his law day and night.
They are like trees planted by streams of water,
  bearing fruit in due season,
  with leaves that do not wither;*
 everything they do shall prosper.
It is not so with the wicked:*
 they are like chaff which the wind blows away;
Therefore the wicked shall not stand upright
  when judgement comes,*
 nor the sinner in the council of the righteous.
For the Lord knows the way of the righteous,*
 but the way of the wicked is doomed.

Psalm 2

Why are the nations in an uproar?*
 Why do the peoples mutter empty threats?
Why do the kings of the earth rise up in revolt
  and the princes plot together,*
 against the Lord and against his anointed?
'Let us break their yoke', they say;*
 'let us cast off their bonds from us.'
He whose throne is in heaven is laughing;*
 the Lord has them in derision.
Then he speaks to them in his wrath*
 and his rage fills them with terror.
'I myself have set my king*
 upon my holy hill of Zion.'
Let me announce the decree of the Lord:*
 he said to me, 'You are my Son;
  this day have I begotten you.
'Ask of me and I will give you the nations for
  your inheritance*
 and the ends of the earth for your possession.
'You shall crush them with an iron rod*
 and shatter them like a piece of pottery.'
And now, you kings, be wise;*
 be warned, you rulers of the earth.
Submit to the Lord with fear,*
 and with trembling bow before him;
Lest he be angry and you perish;*
 for his wrath is quickly kindled.
Happy are they all*
 who take refuge in him!

Psalm 3

Lord, how many adversaries I have!*
 how many there are who rise up against me!
How many there are who say of me,*
 'There is no help for him in his God.'
But you, O Lord, are a shield about me;*
 you are my glory, the one who lifts up my head.
I call aloud upon the Lord*
 and he answers me from his holy hill;
I lie down and go to sleep;*
 I wake again, because the Lord sustains me.
I do not fear the multitudes of people*
 who set themselves against me all around.
Rise up, O Lord; set me free, O my God;*
 surely, you will strike all my enemies across the face,
  you will break the teeth of the wicked.
Deliverance belongs to the Lord.*
 Your blessing be upon your people!

Psalm 4

Answer me when I call, O God, defender of my cause;*
 you set me free when I am hard-pressed;
  have mercy on me and hear my prayer.
'You mortals, how long will you dishonour my glory;*
 how long will you worship dumb idols
  and run after false gods?'
Know that the Lord does wonders for the faithful;*
 when I call upon the Lord, he will hear me.
Tremble, then, and do not sin;*
 speak to your heart in silence upon your bed.
Offer the appointed sacrifices*
 and put your trust in the Lord.
Many are saying, 'O that we might see better times!'*
 Lift up the light of your countenance upon us, O Lord.
You have put gladness in my heart,*
 more than when grain and wine and oil increase.
I lie down in peace; at once I fall asleep;*
 for only you, Lord, make me dwell in safety.

Psalm 5

Give ear to my words, O Lord;*
 consider my meditation.
Hearken to my cry for help, my King and my God,*
 for I make my prayer to you.
In the morning, Lord, you hear my voice;*
 early in the morning I make my appeal
  and watch for you.
For you are not a God who takes pleasure in wickedness*
 and evil cannot dwell with you.
Braggarts cannot stand in your sight;*
 you hate all those who work wickedness.
You destroy those who speak lies;*
 the bloodthirsty and deceitful, O Lord, you abhor.
But as for me, through the greatness of your mercy,
  I will go into your house;*
 I will bow down towards your holy temple in awe of you.
Lead me, O Lord, in your righteousness,
  because of those who lie in wait for me;*
 make your way straight before me.
For there is no truth in their mouth;*
 there is destruction in their heart;
Their throat is an open grave;*
 they flatter with their tongue.
Declare them guilty, O God;*
 let them fall, because of their schemes.
Because of their many transgressions cast them out,*
 for they have rebelled against you.
But all who take refuge in you will be glad;*
 they will sing out their joy for ever.
You will shelter them,*
 so that those who love your name may exult in you.
For you, O Lord, will bless the righteous;*
 you will defend them with your favour as with a shield.

FIRST READING [Ezekiel 5:1-17]:

And you, O mortal, take a sharp sword; use it as a barber's razor and run it over your head and your beard; then take balances for weighing, and divide the hair. One-third of the hair you shall burn in the fire inside the city, when the days of the siege are completed; one-third you shall take and strike with the sword all around the city; and one-third you shall scatter to the wind, and I will unsheathe the sword after them. Then you shall take from these a small number, and bind them in the skirts of your robe. From these, again, you shall take some, throw them into the fire, and burn them up; from there a fire will come out against all the house of Israel.

Thus says the Lord God: This is Jerusalem; I have set her in the centre of the nations, with countries all around her. But she has rebelled against my ordinances and my statutes, becoming more wicked than the nations and the countries all around her, rejecting my ordinances and not following my statutes. Therefore thus says the Lord God: Because you are more turbulent than the nations that are all around you, and have not followed my statutes or kept my ordinances, but have acted according to the ordinances of the nations that are all around you; therefore thus says the Lord God: I, I myself, am coming against you; I will execute judgements among you in the sight of the nations. And because of all your abominations, I will do to you what I have never yet done, and the like of which I will never do again. Surely, parents shall eat their children in your midst, and children shall eat their parents; I will execute judgements on you, and any of you who survive I will scatter to every wind. Therefore, as I live, says the Lord God, surely, because you have defiled my sanctuary with all your detestable things and with all your abominations—therefore I will cut you down; my eye will not spare, and I will have no pity. One-third of you shall die of pestilence or be consumed by famine among you; one-third shall fall by the sword around you; and one-third I will scatter to every wind and will unsheathe the sword after them.

My anger shall spend itself, and I will vent my fury on them and satisfy myself; and they shall know that I, the Lord, have spoken in my jealousy, when I spend my fury on them. Moreover, I will make you a desolation and an object of mocking among the nations around you, in the sight of all that pass by. You shall be a mockery and a taunt, a warning and a horror, to the nations around you, when I execute judgements on you in anger and fury, and with furious punishments—I, the Lord, have spoken— when I loose against you my deadly arrows of famine, arrows for destruction, which I will let loose to destroy you, and when I bring more and more famine upon you, and break your staff of bread. I will send famine and wild animals against you, and they will rob you of your children; pestilence and bloodshed shall pass through you; and I will bring the sword upon you. I, the Lord, have spoken.

HYMN
Words: William Williams, 1745; trans. Peter Williams, 1771
Tune: Cwm Rhondda

Guide me, O thou great Jehovah,
pilgrim though this barren land;
I am weak, but thou art mighty;
hold me with thy powerful hand;
Bread of heaven, Bread of heaven,
feed me till I want no more,
feed me till I want no more.

Open now the crystal fountain,
whence the healing stream doth flow;
let the fire and cloudy pillar
lead me all my journey through;
strong Deliverer, strong Deliverer.
be thou still my Strength and Shield,
be thou still my Strength and Shield.

When I tread the verge of Jordan,
bid my anxious fears subside;
bear me through the swelling current,
land me safe on Canaan's side;
songs of praises, songs of praises,
I will ever give to thee,
I will ever give to thee.

SECOND READING [Romans 2:12-24]:

All who have sinned apart from the law will also perish apart from the law, and all who have sinned under the law will be judged by the law. For it is not the hearers of the law who are righteous in God's sight, but the doers of the law who will be justified. When Gentiles, who do not possess the law, do instinctively what the law requires, these, though not having the law, are a law to themselves. They show that what the law requires is written on their hearts, to which their own conscience also bears witness; and their conflicting thoughts will accuse or perhaps excuse them on the day when, according to my gospel, God, through Jesus Christ, will judge the secret thoughts of all.

But if you call yourself a Jew and rely on the law and boast of your relation to God and know his will and determine what is best because you are instructed in the law, and if you are sure that you are a guide to the blind, a light to those who are in darkness, a corrector of the foolish, a teacher of children, having in the law the embodiment of knowledge and truth, you, then, that teach others, will you not teach yourself? While you preach against stealing, do you steal? You that forbid adultery, do you commit adultery? You that abhor idols, do you rob temples? You that boast in the law, do you dishonour God by breaking the law? For, as it is written, 'The name of God is blasphemed among the Gentiles because of you.'

We beg you, Lord, to help and defend us.

Deliver the oppressed...
Save us, O Lord.

Pity those we find insignificant...
Save us, O Lord.

Raise the fallen...
Save us, O Lord.

Show yourself to the needy...
Save us, O Lord.

Heal the sick...
Save us, O Lord.

Bring back those who have gone astray...
Save us, O Lord.

Feed the hungry...
Save us, O Lord.

Lift up the weak...
Save us, O Lord.

Take off the prisoner's chains...
Save us, O Lord.

May every nation come to know
that you alone are God,
that Jesus Christ is your Son,
that we are your people,
the sheep of your pasture. Amen.

Almighty and ever-living God,
throughout time you free the oppressed,
heal the sick,
and make whole all that you have made.
Look with compassion
on the world wounded by sin,
and by your power restore us
to wholeness of life,
through Jesus Christ, our Savior and Lord. Amen.

Great Jehovah,
you gave the bishop David
to the Welsh church
to iphold the faith
and to be an example of Christian perfection.
Grant that the music of your gospel
swell to a mighty song for all the world.
Through Jesus Christ your Son our Lord,

May we seek you above all things,
and live the new life of Christ. Amen

Society of Saint Francis 1992, which is used with permission. The biblical passage is from The New Revised Standard Version (Anglicized Edition), copyright (c) 1989, 1995 by the Division of Christian Education of  the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA. Used by permission. All rights reserved. The biography is from Exciting Holiness © European Province of the Society of Saint Francis, 1997. The opening sentence is John 15:16. The opening prayer and closing sentence are based on sentences from _Celebrating the Christian Year_ by Alan Griffiths. The second collect is based on sentences from Griffiths and a prayer in For All the Saints, Anglican Church of New Zealand. The first collect is from _Evangelical Lutheran Worship_, (c) 2006 Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.