OREMUS: 29 February 2012

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue Feb 28 17:00:00 GMT 2012

OREMUS for February 29

O God, make speed to save us.
O Lord, make haste to help us.

One does not live by bread alone,
bt by every word that comes
from the mouth of God.
Let us worship God.

Blessed are you, gracious God,
although we once were strangers,
you receive us as friends
and draw us home to you.
You set your living bread before us
that, feasting around your table,
we may be strengthened to continue the work
to which your Son commissioned us.
Blessed be God forever!

I cry to the Lord with my voice;*
 to the Lord I make loud supplication.
I pour out my complaint before him*
 and tell him all my trouble.
When my spirit languishes within me,
you know my path;*
 in the way wherein I walk
 they have hidden a trap for me.
I look to my right hand
and find no one who knows me;*
 I have no place to flee to
 and no one cares for me.
I cry out to you, O Lord;*
 I say, 'You are my refuge,
 my portion in the land of the living.'
Listen to my cry for help,
for I have been brought very low;*
 save me from those who pursue me,
 for they are too strong for me.
Bring me out of prison,
that I may give thanks to your name;*
 when you have dealt bountifully with me,
 the righteous will gather around me.

Psalm 143

Lord, hear my prayer,
and in your faithfulness
heed my supplications;*
 answer me in your righteousness.
Enter not into judgement with your servant,*
 for in your sight
 shall no one living be justified.
For my enemy has sought my life
and has crushed me to the ground;*
 making me live in dark places
 like those who are long dead.
My spirit faints within me;*
 my heart within me is desolate.
I remember the time past;
I muse upon all your deeds;*
 I consider the works of your hands.
I spread out my hands to you;*
 my soul gasps to you like a thirsty land.
O Lord, make haste to answer me;
my spirit fails me;*
 do not hide your face from me
 or I shall be like those
 who go down to the Pit.
Let me hear of your loving-kindness
in the morning, for I put my trust in you;*
 show me the road that I must walk,
 for I lift up my soul to you.
Deliver me from my enemies, O Lord,*
 for I flee to you for refuge.
Teach me to do what pleases you,
for you are my God;*
 let your good Spirit lead me
 on level ground.
Revive me, O Lord, for your name's sake;*
 for your righteousness' sake,
 bring me out of trouble.
Of your goodness, destroy my enemies
and bring all my foes to naught,*
 for truly I am your servant.

FIRST READING [Ezekiel 4:1-17]:

And you, O mortal, take a brick and set it before you. On it portray a city, Jerusalem; and put siege-works against it, and build a siege-wall against it, and cast up a ramp against it; set camps also against it, and plant battering-rams against it all round. Then take an iron plate and place it as an iron wall between you and the city; set your face towards it, and let it be in a state of siege, and press the siege against it. This is a sign for the house of Israel.

Then lie on your left side, and place the punishment of the house of Israel upon it; you shall bear their punishment for the number of the days that you lie there. For I assign to you a number of days, three hundred and ninety days, equal to the number of the years of their punishment; and so you shall bear the punishment of the house of Israel. When you have completed these, you shall lie down a second time, but on your right side, and bear the punishment of the house of Judah; forty days I assign you, one day for each year. You shall set your face towards the siege of Jerusalem, and with your arm bared you shall prophesy against it. See, I am putting cords on you so that you cannot turn from one side to the other until you have completed the days of your siege.

And you, take wheat and barley, beans and lentils, millet and spelt; put them into one vessel, and make bread for yourself. During the number of days that you lie on your side, three hundred and ninety days, you shall eat it. The food that you eat shall be twenty shekels a day by weight; at fixed times you shall eat it. And you shall drink water by measure, one-sixth of a hin; at fixed times you shall drink. You shall eat it as a barley-cake, baking it in their sight on human dung. The Lord said, 'Thus shall the people of Israel eat their bread, unclean, among the nations to which I will drive them.' Then I said, 'Ah Lord God! I have never defiled myself; from my youth up until now I have never eaten what died of itself or was torn by animals, nor has carrion flesh come into my mouth.' Then he said to me, 'See, I will let you have cow's dung instead of human dung, on which you may prepare your bread.'

Then he said to me, Mortal, I am going to break the staff of bread in Jerusalem; they shall eat bread by weight and with fearfulness; and they shall drink water by measure and in dismay. Lacking bread and water, they will look at one another in dismay, and waste away under their punishment.

HYMN
Words: Johann Franck (1618-1677) translated Catherine Winkworth (1827-1878)
Tune: Schmücke dich

Deck thyself, my soul, with gladness,
Leave the gloomy haunts of sadness,
Come into the daylight's splendour,
There with joy thy praises render
Unto him whose grace unbounded
Hath this wondrous banquet founded;
High o'er all the heavens he reigneth,
Yet to dwell with thee he deigneth.

Now I sink before thee lowly
Filled with joy most deep and holy,
As with trembling awe and wonder
On thy mighty works I ponder:
How, by mystery surrounded,
Depth no mortal ever sounded,
None may dare to pierce or bidden
Secrets that with thee are hidden.

Sun, who all my life dost brighten;
Light, who dost my soul enlighten,
Joy, the sweetest e'er one knoweth;
Fount, when all my being floweth:
At thy feet I cry, my Maker,
Let me be a fit partaker
Of this blessed food from heaven,
For our good, thy glory, given.

Jesus, Bread of Life, I pray thee,
Let me gladly here obey thee;
Never to my hurt invited,
Be thy love with love requited:
>From this banquet let me measure,
Lord, how vast and deep its treasure;
Through the gifts thou here dost give me,
As thy guest in heaven receive me.

SECOND READING [Romans 2:1-11]:

Therefore you have no excuse, whoever you are, when you judge others; for in passing judgement on another you condemn yourself, because you, the judge, are doing the very same things. You say, 'We know that God's judgement on those who do such things is in accordance with truth.' Do you imagine, whoever you are, that when you judge those who do such things and yet do them yourself, you will escape the judgement of God? Or do you despise the riches of his kindness and forbearance and patience? Do you not realize that God's kindness is meant to lead you to repentance? But by your hard and impenitent heart you are storing up wrath for yourself on the day of wrath, when God's righteous judgement will be revealed. For he will repay according to each one's deeds: to those who by patiently doing good seek for glory and honour and immortality, he will give eternal life; while for those who are self-seeking and who obey not the truth but wickedness, there will be wrath and fury. There will be anguish and distress for everyone who does evil, the Jew first and also the Greek, but glory and honour and peace for everyone who does good, the Jew first and also the Greek. For God shows no partiality.

O God, source of love and compassion
in the suffering of all your children,
we offer our compassion also
for the hungry and the sick
in body, mind, or heart;
the depressed and the lonely;
all living in fear and under stress;
all stricken in grief;
the unemployed and the rejected;
and those burning with hatred.
Strengthen us to work for their healing,
and inspire us to build with you
the kingdom of love
in which none will cause suffering to others
and all will be caring, loving children of yours,
our compassionate, all-embracing God,
ever present, ever loving,
never failing. Amen.

O God,
eternal goodness, immeasurable love,
you place your gifts before us;
we eat and are satisfied.
Fill us and this world in all its need
with the life that comes only from you,
through Jesus Christ, our Savior and Lord. Amen.

May we temper our desire for earthly goods,
and learn to pursue the eternal good things
which you have prepared
for those who are faithful. Amen.

Society of Saint Francis 1992, which is used with permission. The biblical passage is from The New Revised Standard Version (Anglicized Edition), copyright (c) 1989, 1995 by the Division of Christian Education of  the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA. Used by permission. All rights reserved. The opening sentence is Psalm 91:11. The opening prayer of thanksgiving is reprinted from _Revised Common Lectionary Prayers_, copyright (c) 2002 Consultation on Common Texts. The collect is from _Evangelical Lutheran Worship_, (c) 2006 Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. The intercession is reprinted by permission from _The Worship Sourcebook_, (c) 2004 CRC Publications. The closing sentence is from _Celebrating the Christian Year_ by Alan Griffiths.