OREMUS: 20 February 2012

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Feb 19 17:00:00 GMT 2012

OREMUS for February 20
William Grant Broughton, First Bishop of Australia, 1853

When the English first settled Australia in the eighteenth century, they established churches under the authority of the Bishop of London. Over the next two centuries the Anglican Church of Australia gradually moved towards independence from England. In 1814, responsibility for British subjects in Australia passed from the Bishop of London to the new Bishop of Calcutta,
and in 1836 Australia was formed into a diocese with its own bishop, William Grant Broughton (1785-1853). With this new recognition of the diocese of Australia came a time of great religious expansion and church building. By 1847 this expansion had become so great that Australia was split into separate dioceses of Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide, and Newcastle, each with their own bishops. Broughton was named the first Bishop of Sydney. Broughton died in London in 1853 during a missionary fundraising trip.

May I never boast of anything
except the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ,
by which the world has been crucified to me,
and I to the world.
Let us worship God.

Blessed are you, God of light and truth,
you open our eyes
to the glory of your presence
in the world around us,
but chiefly in the face
of Jesus Christ your Son our Lord,
that we may grow into his likeness,
and attain the happy fulfilment of our hope
when the splendour of the Saviour
will be revealed.

Bless the Lord, O my soul;*
 O Lord my God,
 how excellent is your greatness!
 you are clothed with majesty and splendour.
You wrap yourself with light
as with a cloak*
 and spread out the heavens like a curtain.
You lay the beams of your chambers
in the waters above;*
 you make the clouds your chariot;
 you ride on the wings of the wind.
You make the winds your messengers*
 and flames of fire your servants.
You have set the earth
upon its foundations,*
 so that it never shall move at any time.
You covered it with the deep
as with a mantle;*
 the waters stood higher than the mountains.
At your rebuke they fled;*
 at the voice of your thunder
 they hastened away.
They went up into the hills
and down to the valleys beneath,*
 to the places you had appointed for them.
You set the limits that they should not pass;*
 they shall not again cover the earth.
You send the springs into the valleys;*
 they flow between the mountains.
All the beasts of the field
drink their fill from them,*
 and the wild asses quench their thirst.
Beside them the birds of the air
make their nests*
 and sing among the branches.
You water the mountains
from your dwelling on high;*
 the earth is fully satisfied
 by the fruit of your works.
You make grass grow for flocks and herds*
 and plants to serve us all;
That they may bring forth
food from the earth,*
 and wine to gladden our hearts,
Oil to make a cheerful countenance,*
 and bread to strengthen the heart.
The trees of the Lord are full of sap,*
 the cedars of Lebanon which he planted,
In which the birds build their nests,*
 and in whose tops
 the stork makes his dwelling.
The high hills are a refuge
for the mountain goats,*
 and the stony cliffs for the rock badgers.
You appointed the moon
to mark the seasons,*
 and the sun knows the time of its setting.
You make darkness that it may be night,*
 in which all the beasts of the forest prowl.
The lions roar after their prey*
 and seek their food from God.
The sun rises and they slip away*
 and lay themselves down in their dens.
The labourer goes forth to work*
  and to toil until the evening.
O Lord, how manifold are your works!*
 in wisdom you have made them all;
 the earth is full of your creatures.
Yonder is the great and wide sea
with its living things too many to number,*
 creatures both small and great.
There move the ships,
and there is that Leviathan,*
 which you have made for the sport of it.
All of them look to you*
 to give them their food in due season.
You give it to them, they gather it;*
 you open your hand
 and they are filled with good things.
You hide your face and they are terrified;*
 you take away their breath
 and they die and return to their dust.
You send forth your Spirit
and they are created;*
 and so you renew the face of the earth.
May the glory of the Lord endure for ever;*
 may the Lord rejoice in all his works.
He looks at the earth and it trembles;*
 he touches the mountains and they smoke.
I will sing to the Lord as long as I live;*
 I will praise my God while I have my being.
May these words of mine please him;*
 I will rejoice in the Lord.
Let sinners be consumed out of the earth,*
 and the wicked be no more.
Bless the Lord, O my soul.*
 Alleluia!

FIRST READING [Proverbs 27:1-6,10-12]:

Do not boast about tomorrow,
for you do not know what a day may bring.
Let another praise you, and not your own mouth—
a stranger, and not your own lips.
A stone is heavy, and sand is weighty,
but a fool’s provocation is heavier than both.
Wrath is cruel, anger is overwhelming,
but who is able to stand before jealousy?
Better is open rebuke
than hidden love.
Well meant are the wounds a friend inflicts,
but profuse are the kisses of an enemy.
Do not forsake your friend or the friend of your parent;
do not go to the house of your kindred
on the day of your calamity.
Better is a neighbour who is nearby
than kindred who are far away.
Be wise, my child, and make my heart glad,
so that I may answer whoever reproaches me.
The clever see danger and hide;
but the simple go on, and suffer for it.

HYMN
Words: Scottish Translations and Paraphrases (1745), Michael Bruce (1746-1767)
Tune: Glasgow, Manchester, Southwark

Behold, the mountain of the Lord
in latter days shall rise,
on mountain-tops, above the hills,
and draw the wondering eyes.

To this the joyful nations round,
all tribes and tongues, shall flow;
up to the hill of God, they'll say,
and to his house, we'll go.

The beam that shines from Zion's hill
shall lighten every land;
the King who reigns in Salem's towers
shall all the world command.

Among the nations he shall judge;
his judgements truth shall guide;
his sceptre shall protect the just,
and quell the sinner's pride.

No strife shall vex Messiah's reign
or mar the peaceful years;
to ploughshares men shall beat their swords,
to pruning-hooks their spears.

No longer hosts, encountering hosts,
shall crowds of slain deplore;
they hang the trumpet in the hall,
and study war no more.

Come then, O come, from every land
to worship at his shrine;
and, walking in the light of God,
with holy beauties shine.

SECOND READING [2 Peter 1:3-15]:

Jesus' divine power has given us everything needed for life and godliness, through the knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness. Thus he has given us, through these things, his precious and very great promises, so that through them you may escape from the corruption that is in the world because of lust, and may become participants in the divine nature. For this very reason, you must make every effort to support your faith with goodness, and goodness with knowledge, and knowledge with self-control, and self-control with endurance, and endurance with godliness, and godliness with mutual affection, and mutual affection with love. For if these things are yours and are increasing among you, they keep you from being ineffective and unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. For anyone who lacks these things is short-sighted and blind, and is forgetful of the cleansing of past sins. Therefore, brothers and sisters, be all the more eager to confirm your call and election, for if you do this, you will never stumble. For in this way, entry into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ will be richly provided for you.

Therefore I intend to keep on reminding you of these things, though you know them already and are established in the truth that has come to you. I think it right, as long as I am in this body, to refresh your memory, since I know that my death will come soon, as indeed our Lord Jesus Christ has made clear to me. And I will make every effort so that after my departure you may be able at any time to recall these things.

in silence
you watched,
you waited,
you yearned

    until your heart
    could break no more

so you came to us . . .

in a stable
where no one noticed you;

by a well
where you welcomed the outsider;

on a hillside
where you fed hungry souls;

on a cross
when you died for us

        in love,
        you came to us.

in silence
we watch,
we wait, we yearn.

        come, Lord Jesus,
        that we might rejoice
        once again.
        Amen.

Eternal light,
shine in our hearts.
Eternal wisdom,
scatter the darkness of our ignorance.
Eternal compassion, have mercy on us.
Turn us to seek your face,
and enable us to reflect your goodness,
through Jesus Christ our Savior and Lord.  Amen.

Everlasting God, your messengers have carried the Good News of Christ to the ends of the earth: grant that we who remember William Grant Broughton and the builders of your Church in Australia may know the truth of the Gospel in our hearts and build upon the foundations they have laid; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit one God, now and for ever. Amen.

Fix in our hearts
the mage of your Son in glory,
that, sustained on the path of discipleship,
we may pass over with him to newness of life. Amen.

The opening sentence is Galatians 6:14. The opening prayer of thanksgiving is adapted from     _Book of Common Order of the Church of Scotland_, (c) 1994, Panel on Worship of the Church of Scotland. The prayer is (c) Thom M. Shuman and is used with permission. The second collect is adapted from a prayer in _A Prayer Book for
Australia_, (c) 1995, The Anglican Church of Australia Trust Corporation.  The closing sentence is in _Opening Prayers: Collects in Contemporary Language_. Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.