OREMUS: 19 February 2012

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Feb 18 17:00:00 GMT 2012

OREMUS for February 19
The Last Sunday after Epiphany
The Sunday next before Lent

The God who said,
"Out of darkness the light shall shine!"
is the same God
who made light shine in our hearts
to bring us the knowledge of God's glory
shining in the face of Christ.
Let us worship God.

Blessed are you, O Lord our God,
clothed in majesty and splendor,
wrapped in light as with a robe.
In the solitude of a mountain height
you revealed your glory in Jesus Christ
even as he faced death on the cross.
We praise you for this glimpse
of the mystery of our redemption
by him whose death conquered death,
and whose rising gives eternal life.

Sing to the Lord a new song,*
 for he has done marvellous things.
With his right hand and his holy arm*
 has he won for himself the victory.
The Lord has made known his victory;*
 his righteousness has he openly shown
 in the sight of the nations.
He remembers his mercy and faithfulness
to the house of Israel,*
 and all the ends of the earth have seen
 the victory of our God.
Shout with joy to the Lord, all you lands;*
 lift up your voice, rejoice and sing.
Sing to the Lord with the harp,*
 with the harp and the voice of song.
With trumpets and the sound of the horn*
 shout with joy before the King, the Lord.
Let the sea make a noise and all that is in it,*
 the lands and those who dwell therein.
Let the rivers clap their hands,*
 and let the hills ring out with joy
 before the Lord,
 when he comes to judge the earth.
In righteousness shall he judge the world,*
 and the peoples with equity.

Psalm 99

The Lord is king; let the people tremble;*
 he is enthroned upon the cherubim;
 let the earth shake.
The Lord is great in Zion;*
 he is high above all peoples.
Let them confess his name,
which is great and awesome;*
 he is the Holy One.
'O mighty King, lover of justice,
you have established equity;*
 you have executed justice
 and righteousness in Jacob.'
Proclaim the greatness of the Lord our God
and fall down before his footstool;*
 he is the Holy One.
Moses and Aaron among his priests,
and Samuel among those
who call upon his name,*
 they called upon the Lord
 and he answered them.
He spoke to them out of the pillar of cloud;*
 they kept his testimonies
 and the decree that he gave them.
'O Lord our God,
you answered them indeed;*
 you were a God who forgave them,
 yet punished them for their evil deeds.'
Proclaim the greatness of the Lord our God
and worship him upon his holy hill;*
 for the Lord our God is the Holy One.

Psalm 100

Be joyful in the Lord, all you lands;*
 serve the Lord with gladness
 and come before his presence with a song.
Know this: The Lord himself is God;*
 he himself has made us and we are his;
 we are his people
 and the sheep of his pasture.
Enter his gates with thanksgiving;
go into his courts with praise;*
 give thanks to him and call upon his name.
For the Lord is good;
his mercy is everlasting;*
 and his faithfulness endures
 from age to age.

Psalm 101

I will sing of mercy and justice;*
 to you, O Lord, will I sing praises.
I will strive to follow a blameless course;
O when will you come to me?*
 I will walk with sincerity of heart
 within my house.
I will set no worthless thing
before my eyes;*
 I hate the doers of evil deeds;
 they shall not remain with me.
A crooked heart shall be far from me;*
 I will not know evil.
Those who in secret slander their neighbours
I will destroy;*
 those who have a haughty look
 and a proud heart I cannot abide.
My eyes are upon the faithful in the land,
that they may dwell with me,*
 and only those who lead a blameless life
 shall be my servants.
Those who act deceitfully
shall not dwell in my house,*
 and those who tell lies
 shall not continue in my sight.
I will soon destroy
all the wicked in the land,*
 that I may root out all evildoers
 from the city of the Lord.

FIRST READING [Exodus 24:12-18]:

The Lord said to Moses, 'Come up to me on the mountain, and wait there; and I will give you the tablets of stone, with the law and the commandment, which I have written for their instruction.' So Moses set out with his assistant Joshua, and Moses went up into the mountain of God. To the elders he had said, 'Wait here for us, until we come to you again; for Aaron and Hur are with you; whoever has a dispute may go to them.'

Then Moses went up on the mountain, and the cloud covered the mountain. The glory of the Lord settled on Mount Sinai, and the cloud covered it for six days; on the seventh day he called to Moses out of the cloud. Now the appearance of the glory of the Lord was like a devouring fire on the top of the mountain in the sight of the people of Israel. Moses entered the cloud, and went up on the mountain. Moses was on the mountain for forty days and forty nights.

HYMN
Words: Samuel Greg (1804-1876)
Tune: Unde et memores

Stay, Master, stay upon this heavenly hill;
A little longer, let us linger still;
With all the mighty ones of old beside,
Near to the aweful Presence still abide;
Before the throne of light we trembling stand,
And catch a glimpse into the spirit-land.

Stay, Master stay! We breathe a purer air;
This life is not the life that waits us there;
Thoughts, feelings, flashes, glimpses come and go;
We cannot speak them - nay, we do not know;
Wrapt in this cloud of light we seem to be
The thing we fain would grow - eternally.

No, saith the Lord, the hour is past, we go;
Our home, our life, our duties lie below.
While here we kneel upon the mount of prayer,
The plough lies waiting in the furrow there.
Here we sought God that we might know his will;
There we must do it, serve him, seek him still.

If man aspires to reach the throne of God,
O'er the dull plains of earth must lie the road:
He who best does his lowly duty here,
Shall mount the highest in a nobler sphere:
At God's own feet our spirits seek their rest,
And he is nearest him who serves him best.

SECOND READING [2 Corinthians 3:12-18]:

Since, then, we have such a hope, we act with great boldness, not like Moses, who put a veil over his face to keep the people of Israel from gazing at the end of the glory that was being set aside. But their minds were hardened. Indeed, to this very day, when they hear the reading of the old covenant, that same veil is still there, since only in Christ is it set aside. Indeed, to this very day whenever Moses is read, a veil lies over their minds; but when one turns to the Lord, the veil is removed. Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. And all of us, with unveiled faces, seeing the glory of the Lord as though reflected in a mirror, are being transformed into the same image from one degree of glory to another; for this comes from the Lord, the Spirit.

In the power of the Spirit
and in union with Christ,
let us pray to the Father.
Lord of glory, it is good that we are here.
In peace we make our prayer to you.
In trust we confirm our faith in you …
Help us to set our faces steadfastly
to where you would have us go.
Lord, look with favour.
Lord, transfigure and heal.

Lord of glory, look with favour on your Church,
proclaiming your beloved Son to the world
and listening to the promptings of his Spirit …
May she be renewed in holiness
that she may reflect your glory.
Lord, look with favour.
Lord, transfigure and heal.

Lord of glory, look with favour
on the nations of the world,
scarred by hatred, strife and war …
May they be healed by the touch of your hand.
Lord, look with favour.
Lord, transfigure and heal.

Lord of glory, look with favour
on those in need and distress,
suffering as your Son has suffered
and waiting for the salvation you promise …
May the day break
and Christ the Morning Star
bring them the light of his presence.
Lord, look with favour.
Lord, transfigure and heal.

Lord of glory, it is good if we suffer with you
so that we shall be glorified with you.
According to your promise
bring all Christ’s brothers and sisters …
to see him with their own eyes in majesty
and to be changed into his likeness
from glory to glory.
To him be praise, dominion and worship
now and for all eternity. Amen.

Holy God, mighty and immortal,
you are beyond our knowing,
yet we see your glory
in the face of Jesus Christ,
whose compassion illumines the world.
Transform us into the likeness of Christ,
whose love renewed our humanity
so that we may share in his divinity,
for he lives and reigns for ever and ever. Amen.

Reveal the glory and presence of your Spirit,
alive in the world today,
and free us from all doubts,
and empower us to act
as a transfigured people. Amen.

The psalms are from _Celebrating Common Prayer_ (Mowbray), (c) The Society of Saint Francis 1992, which is used with permission. The biblical passage is from The New Revised Standard Version (Anglicized Edition), copyright (c) 1989, 1995 by the Division of Christian Education of  the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA. Used by permission. All rights reserved. The opening sentence is 2 Corinthians 4:6. The opening prayer of thanksgiving is adapted from prayers in _Book of Common Worship_, (c) 1993 Westminster / John Knox Press. The collect and closing sentence are reprinted from _Revised Common Lectionary Prayers_, copyright (c) 2002 Consultation on Common Texts. The intercession is from _Common Worship: Festivals_, material from which is included in this service is copyright (c) The Archbishops( Council.