OREMUS: 12 February 2012

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Feb 11 17:00:01 GMT 2012

OREMUS for February 12
The Sixth Sunday after Epiphany

You have turned my mourning into dancing;
you have taken off my sackcloth
and clothed me with joy,
so that my soul may praise you
and not be silent.
Let us worship God.

Blessed are you, gracious God,
source of all healing.
In Jesus Christ you heal the sick
and mend the broken.
He is the source of healing and forgiveness
and of the fullness of life found only in you.
By your Spirit, you come upon all
that we may receive your healing touch
and be made whole,
to the glory of Jesus Christ our Redeemer.

You are to be praised, O God, in Zion;*
 to you shall vows
 be performed in Jerusalem.
To you that hear prayer
shall all flesh come,*
 because of their transgressions.
Our sins are stronger than we are,*
 but you will blot them out.
Happy are they whom you choose
and draw to your courts to dwell there!*
 they will be satisfied
 by the beauty of your house,
 by the holiness of your temple.
Awesome things will you show us
in your righteousness,
O God of our salvation,*
 O Hope of all the ends of the earth
 and of the seas that are far away.
You make fast the mountains
by your power;*
 they are girded about with might.
You still the roaring of the seas,*
 the roaring of their waves,
   and the clamour of the peoples.
Those who dwell at the ends of the earth
will tremble at your marvellous signs;*
 you make the dawn and the dusk
 to sing for joy.
You visit the earth and water it abundantly;
you make it very plenteous;*
 the river of God is full of water.
You prepare the grain,*
 for so you provide for the earth.
You drench the furrows
and smooth out the ridges;*
 with heavy rain you soften the ground
 and bless its increase.
You crown the year with your goodness,*
 and your paths overflow with plenty.
May the fields of the wilderness
be rich for grazing,*
 and the hills be clothed with joy.
May the meadows
cover themselves with flocks
and the valleys
cloak themselves with grain;*
 let them shout for joy and sing.

Psalm 66

Be joyful in God, all you lands;*
 sing the glory of his name;
   sing the glory of his praise.
Say to God,
'How awesome are your deeds!*
 because of your great strength
 your enemies cringe before you.
'All the earth bows down before you,*
 sings to you, sings out your name.'
Come now and see the works of God,*
 how wonderful he is
 in his doing towards all people.
He turned the sea into dry land,
so that they went through the water on foot,*
 and there we rejoiced in him.
In his might he rules for ever;
his eyes keep watch over the nations;*
 let no rebel rise up against him.
Bless our God, you peoples;*
 make the voice of his praise to be heard;
Who holds our souls in life,*
 and will not allow our feet to slip.
For you, O God, have proved us;*
 you have tried us just as silver is tried.
You brought us into the snare;*
 you laid heavy burdens upon our backs.
You let enemies ride over our heads;
we went through fire and water;*
 but you brought us out
 into a place of refreshment.
I will enter your house with burnt-offerings
and will pay you my vows,*
 which I promised with my lips
 and spoke with my mouth
 when I was in trouble.
I will offer you sacrifices of fat beasts
with the smoke of rams;*
 I will give you oxen and goats.
Come and listen, all you who fear God,*
 and I will tell you what he has done for me.
I called out to him with my mouth,*
 and his praise was on my tongue.
If I had found evil in my heart,*
 the Lord would not have heard me;
But in truth God has heard me;*
 he has attended to the voice of my prayer.
Blessed be God,
who has not rejected my prayer,*
 nor withheld his love from me.

Psalm 67

May God be merciful to us and bless us,*
 show us the light
 of his countenance and come to us.
Let your ways be known upon earth,*
 your saving health among all nations.
Let the peoples praise you, O God;*
 let all the peoples praise you.
Let the nations be glad and sing for joy,*
 for you judge the peoples with equity
   and guide all the nations upon earth.
Let the peoples praise you, O God;*
 let all the peoples praise you.
The earth has brought forth her increase;*
 may God, our own God,
 give us his blessing.
May God give us his blessing,*
 and may all the ends of the earth
 stand in awe of him.
FIRST READING [Proverbs 8:1,22-31]:

Does not wisdom call,
and does not understanding raise her voice?

The Lord created me
at the beginning of his work,
the first of his acts of long ago.
Ages ago I was set up,
at the first, before the beginning of the earth.
When there were no depths I was brought forth,
when there were no springs
abounding with water.
Before the mountains had been shaped,
before the hills, I was brought forth—
when he had not yet made earth and fields,
or the world’s first bits of soil.
When he established the heavens, I was there,
when he drew a circle on the face of the deep,
when he made firm the skies above,
when he established the fountains of the deep,
when he assigned to the sea its limit,
so that the waters
might not transgress his command,
when he marked out the foundations of the earth,
then I was beside him, like a master worker;
and I was daily his delight,
rejoicing before him always,
rejoicing in his inhabited world
and delighting in the human race.

HYMN
Words: Nicolaus L von Zinzendorf (1700-1760). vv 1 and 4 translated  John Gambold (1711-1771) vv 2 and 3 translated Anonymous
Tune: Der Mond (886 888)

O Christ the Church's Head and Lord!
To us thy saving light afford,
Thy Spirit be our guide;
Grant us the glad and childlike heart
To take in faithful service part,
And may we ever thine abide.

Our hands for blessing hallowed be,
Our bodies temples unto thee,
Our souls enjoy thy peace;
Thy word divine our spirits cheer,
Grant us the still small voice to hear,
That bids our anxious care to cease.

Give us an inward listening ear
For all thou hast to teach us here,
A single eye and will;
Right priestly lips to tell thy praise,
And feet, earth's rugged, weary ways
To traverse without fearing ill.

With thy own oil our hands anoint,
Our pilgrim path do thou appoint,
No peril may we shun,
Shrink from no labour, fear no foe,
But onward persevering go,
Until our Master's work be done.

SECOND READING [Colossians 1:15-20]:

Jesus Christ is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation; for in him all things in heaven and on earth were created, things visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or powers—all things have been created through him and for him. He himself is before all things, and in him all things hold together. He is the head of the body, the church; he is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, so that he might come to have first place in everything. For in him all the fullness of God was pleased to dwell, and through him God was pleased to reconcile to himself all things, whether on earth or in heaven, by making peace through the blood of his cross.

My brothers and sisters, let us bring our prayers to the Lord, our rock and our salvation.

We pray for the people of Syria, in the face of the violence and oppression in their land: that the violence may be ended, and a way may be found to a lasting and just peace.

We pray for the leaders of the European nations, as they seek to deal with the financial crisis: that they may always keep in mind those who are poorest and most vulnerable.

We pray for those who are suffering in the winter weather; for those who have to travel, those who are homeless, and those who cannot afford to heat their homes: that they may be kept safe and protected during this time.

We pray for doctors, nurses and all who work in the health service: that they may be inspired by a desire to serve those in their care, and that their work may be rightly valued in our society.

We pray for all those with disease or disability that is regarded as incurable: that we may do all that we can to help and support them to live life in its fullness.

Heavenly Father, who sent your Son Jesus Christ to bring healing and salvation to the world, we ask you to hear the prayers that we offer through the same Christ our Lord. Amen.

Everliving God, your Son, Jesus Christ, healed the lepers and brought good news to the despised and outcast: Grant us your gifts of compassion and self-control, that in serving others in their need we may strive for the imperishable wreath that you bestow on all who truly love you; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever. Amen.

May the God of all mercy
forgives our sins,
release us from suffering,
and restore us to wholeness and strength. Amen.
The psalms are from _Celebrating Common Prayer_ (Mowbray), (c) The Society of Saint Francis 1992, which is used with permission. The biblical passage is from The New Revised Standard Version (Anglicized Edition), copyright (c) 1989, 1995 by the Division of Christian Education of  the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA. Used by permission. All rights reserved. The opening sentence is Psalm 30:11-12. The opening prayer of thanksgiving and the closing sentence are adapted from prayers from _Book of Common Worship_, (c) 1993 Westminster / John Knox Press. The petitions are gathered by Redemptorist Publications and are published each Friday on their website: http://www.rpbooks.co.uk/page.php?page=prayers The collect is from _A Prayer Book for Australia_. (c) 1995, The Anglican Church of Australia Trust Corporation.