OREMUS: 7 February 2012

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Feb 6 17:00:01 GMT 2012

OREMUS for February 7

God is a forgiving God,
gracious and compassionate,
long-suffering and ever constant,
and did not abandon us.
Let us worship God.

Blessed are you, God of light and goodness,
the beams of your brightness
overcome the darkness of our souls.
You fill us with holy love,
open to us the treasures of your wisdom,
encourage what you have begun in us,
and prompt us to ask in prayer
what your spirit already desires for us.

Do not fret yourself because of evildoers;*
 do not be jealous of those who do wrong.
For they shall soon wither like the grass,*
 and like the green grass fade away.
Put your trust in the Lord and do good;*
 dwell in the land and feed on its riches.
Take delight in the Lord,*
 and he shall give you your heart’s desire.
Commit your way to the Lord
and put your trust in him,*
 and he will bring it to pass.
He will make your righteousness
as clear as the light*
 and your just dealing as the noonday.
Be still before the Lord*
 and wait patiently for him.
Do not fret yourself
over the one who prospers,*
 the one who succeeds in evil schemes.
Refrain from anger, leave rage alone;*
 do not fret yourself; it leads only to evil.
For evildoers shall be cut off,*
 but those who wait upon the Lord
 shall possess the land.
In a little while the wicked
shall be no more;*
 you shall search out their place,
 but they will not be there.
But the lowly shall possess the land;*
 they will delight in abundance of peace.
The wicked plot against the righteous*
 and gnash at them with their teeth.
The Lord laughs at the wicked,*
 because he sees that their day will come.
The wicked draw their sword
and bend their bow
to strike down the poor and needy,*
 to slaughter those who are upright
 in their ways.
Their sword shall go
through their own heart,*
 and their bow shall be broken.
The little that the righteous have*
 is better than great riches of the wicked.
For the power of the wicked
shall be broken,*
 but the Lord upholds the righteous.
The Lord cares for the lives of the godly,*
 and their inheritance shall last for ever.
They shall not be ashamed in bad times,*
 and in days of famine
 they shall have enough.
As for the wicked, they shall perish,*
 and the enemies of the Lord,
 like the glory of the meadows, shall vanish;
 they shall vanish like smoke.
The wicked borrow and do not repay,*
 but the righteous are generous in giving.
Those who are blessed by God
shall possess the land,*
 but those who are cursed by him
 shall be destroyed.
Our steps are directed by the Lord;*
 he strengthens those
 in whose way he delights.
If they stumble,
they shall not fall headlong,*
 for the Lord holds them by the hand.
I have been young and now I am old,*
 but never have I seen
 the righteous forsaken,
 or their children begging bread.
The righteous are always
generous in their lending,*
 and their children shall be a blessing.
Turn from evil and do good,*
 and dwell in the land for ever.
For the Lord loves justice;*
 he does not forsake his faithful ones.
They shall be kept safe for ever,*
 but the offspring of the wicked
 shall be destroyed.
The righteous shall possess the land*
 and dwell in it for ever.
The mouth of the righteous utters wisdom,*
 and their tongue speaks what is right.
The law of their God is in their heart,*
 and their footsteps shall not falter.
The wicked spy on the righteous*
 and seek occasion to kill them.
The Lord will not abandon them
to their hand,*
 nor let them be found guilty
 when brought to trial.
Wait upon the Lord and keep his way;*
 he will raise you up to possess the land,
 and when the wicked are cut off,
 you will see it.
I have seen the wicked in their arrogance,*
 flourishing like a tree in full leaf.
I went by and, behold, they were not there;*
 I searched for them,
 but they could not be found.
Mark those who are honest;
observe the upright;*
 for there is a future for the peaceable.
Transgressors shall be destroyed,
one and all;*
 the future of the wicked is cut off.
But the deliverance of the righteous
comes from the Lord;*
 he is their stronghold in time of trouble.
The Lord will help them and rescue them;*
 he will rescue them from the wicked
 and deliver them,
 because they seek refuge in him.
FIRST READING [Genesis 16:15-17:14]:

Hagar bore Abram a son; and Abram named his son, whom Hagar bore, Ishmael. Abram was eighty-six years old when Hagar bore him Ishmael.

When Abram was ninety-nine years old, the Lord appeared to Abram, and said to him, 'I am God Almighty; walk before me, and be blameless. And I will make my covenant between me and you, and will make you exceedingly numerous.' Then Abram fell on his face; and God said to him, 'As for me, this is my covenant with you: You shall be the ancestor of a multitude of nations. No longer shall your name be Abram, but your name shall be Abraham; for I have made you the ancestor of a multitude of nations. I will make you exceedingly fruitful; and I will make nations of you, and kings shall come from you. I will establish my covenant between me and you, and your offspring after you throughout their generations, for an everlasting covenant, to be God to you and to your offspring after you. And I will give to you, and to your offspring after you, the land where you are now an alien, all the land of Canaan, for a perpetual holding; and I will be their God.'

God said to Abraham, 'As for you, you shall keep my covenant, you and your offspring after you throughout their generations. This is my covenant, which you shall keep, between me and you and your offspring after you: Every male among you shall be circumcised. You shall circumcise the flesh of your foreskins, and it shall be a sign of the covenant between me and you. Throughout your generations every male among you shall be circumcised when he is eight days old, including the slave born in your house and the one bought with your money from any foreigner who is not of your offspring. Both the slave born in your house and the one bought with your money must be circumcised. So shall my covenant be in your flesh an everlasting covenant. Any uncircumcised male who is not circumcised in the flesh of his foreskin shall be cut off from his people; he has broken my covenant.'

HYMN
Words: Frederick Lucian Hosmer (1840-1929)
Meter: 77 77

Many things in life there are
Past our understanding far,
And the humblest flower that grows
Hides a secret no one knows.

All unread by outer sense
Lies the soul's experience;
Mysteries around us rise,
We, the deeper mysteries!

While we may so little scan
Of thy vast creation's plan,
Teach us, O our God, to be
Humble in our walk with thee!

May we trust, through ill and good,
Thine unchanging Fatherhood,
And our highest wisdom find
In the reverent heart and mind!

Clearer vision shall be ours,
Larger wisdom, ampler powers,
And the meaning yet appear
Of what passes knowledge here.

SECOND READING [Hebrews 13:15-21]:

Through him, then, let us continually offer a sacrifice of praise to God, that is, the fruit of lips that confess his name. Do not neglect to do good and to share what you have, for such sacrifices are pleasing to God.

Obey your leaders and submit to them, for they are keeping watch over your souls and will give an account. Let them do this with joy and not with sighing—for that would be harmful to you.

Pray for us; we are sure that we have a clear conscience, desiring to act honourably in all things. I urge you all the more to do this, so that I may be restored to you very soon.

Now may the God of peace, who brought back from the dead our Lord Jesus, the great shepherd of the sheep, by the blood of the eternal covenant, make you complete in everything good so that you may do his will, working among us that which is pleasing in his sight, through Jesus Christ, to whom be the glory for ever and ever. Amen.

Save your people, Lord,
and bless your inheritance,
Govern and uphold them now and always.

Day by day, we bless you;
We praise your name for ever.

Keep us today, Lord, from all sin;
Have mercy on us, Lord, have mercy.

We long for your salvation, O Lord:
grant us understanding, that we may live.

Lord, show us your love and mercy,
For we put our trust in you.

In you, Lord, is our hope:
Let us not be confounded at the last

Loving God,
you have called forth disciples and prophets
to live and speak your word.
Give us ears to hear,
lives to respond,
and voices to proclaim
the good news of salvation,
which we know in our Savior Jesus Christ,
who lives and reigns
with you and the Holy Spirit,
one God, now and forever. Amen.

Turn your face to us and show us your glory:
then shall our longing be satisfied,
and our life complete. Amen.
The psalms are from _Celebrating Common Prayer_ (Mowbray), (c) The Society of Saint Francis 1992, which is used with permission. The biblical passage is from The New Revised Standard Version (Anglicized Edition), copyright (c) 1989, 1995 by the Division of Christian Education of  the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA. Used by permission. All rights reserved. The opening sentence is Nehemiah 9:17. The opening prayer of thanksgiving and closing sentence adapted from the _Book of Common Order of the Church of Scotland_, (c) 1994, Panel on Worship of the Church of Scotland.
The collect is reprinted from _Revised Common Lectionary Prayers_, copyright (c) 2002 Consultation on Common Texts.