OREMUS: 6 February 2012

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Feb 5 17:00:01 GMT 2012

OREMUS for February 6
[Queen Elizabeth II's Accession to the Throne, 1952]

Let every person be subject
to the governing authorities;
for there is no authority except from God,
and those authorities that exist
have been instituted by God.
Let us worship God.

Blessed are you, most holy God,
the earth is filled with your glory,
and in your presence angels stand in awe.
You send your Spirit to enlarge our vision,
that we may recognize your power
at work in your Son, the King of kings,
and join the apostles and prophets
as heralds of your saving word.

Happy are they
whose transgressions are forgiven,*
 and whose sin is put away!
Happy are they
to whom the Lord imputes no guilt,*
 and in whose spirit there is no guile!
While I held my tongue,
my bones withered away,*
 because of my groaning all day long.
For your hand was heavy
upon me day and night;*
 my moisture was dried up
 as in the heat of summer.
Then I acknowledged my sin to you,*
 and did not conceal my guilt.
I said, 'I will confess
my transgressions to the Lord';*
 then you forgave me the guilt of my sin.
Therefore all the faithful
will make their prayers to you
in time of trouble;*
 when the great waters overflow,
 they shall not reach them.
You are my hiding-place;
you preserve me from trouble;*
 you surround me
 with shouts of deliverance.
'I will instruct you and teach you
in the way that you should go;*
 I will guide you with my eye.
'Do not be like horse or mule,
which have no understanding;*
 who must be fitted with bit and bridle,
 or else they will not stay near you.'
Great are the tribulations of the wicked;*
 but mercy embraces those
 who trust in the Lord.
Be glad, you righteous,
and rejoice in the Lord;*
 shout for joy, all who are true of heart.

Psalm 33

Rejoice in the Lord, you righteous;*
 it is good for the just to sing praises.
Praise the Lord with the harp;*
 play to him upon the psaltery and lyre.
Sing for him a new song;*
 sound a fanfare
 with all your skill upon the trumpet.
For the word of the Lord is right,*
 and all his works are sure.
He loves righteousness and justice;*
 the loving-kindness of the Lord
 fills the whole earth.
By the word of the Lord
were the heavens made,*
 by the breath of his mouth
 all the heavenly hosts.
He gathers up the waters of the ocean
as in a water-skin*
 and stores up the depths of the sea.
Let all the earth fear the Lord;*
 let all who dwell in the world
 stand in awe of him.
For he spoke and it came to pass;*
 he commanded and it stood fast.
The Lord brings the will
of the nations to naught;*
 he thwarts the designs of the peoples.
But the Lord's will stands fast for ever,*
 and the designs of his heart from age to age.
Happy is the nation whose God is the Lord!*
 happy the people
 he has chosen to be his own!
The Lord looks down from heaven,*
 and beholds all the people in the world.
>From where he sits enthroned
he turns his gaze*
 on all who dwell on the earth.
He fashions all the hearts of them*
 and understands all their works.
There is no king
that can be saved by a mighty army;*
 the strong are not delivered
 by great strength.
The horse is a vain hope for deliverance;*
 for all its strength it cannot save.
Behold, the eye of the Lord
is upon those who fear him,*
 on those who wait upon his love,
To pluck their lives from death,*
 and to feed them in time of famine.
Our soul waits for the Lord;*
 he is our help and our shield.
Indeed, our heart rejoices in him,*
 for in his holy name we put our trust.
Let your loving-kindness,
O Lord, be upon us,*
 as we have put our trust in you.

Psalm 34

I will bless the Lord at all times;*
 his praise shall ever be in my mouth.
I will glory in the Lord;*
 let the humble hear and rejoice.
Proclaim with me
the greatness of the Lord;*
 let us exalt his name together.
I sought the Lord and he answered me*
 and delivered me out of all my terror.
Look upon him and be radiant,*
 and let not your faces be ashamed.
I called in my affliction
and the Lord heard me*
 and saved me from all my troubles.
The angel of the Lord
encompasses those who fear him,*
 and he will deliver them.
Taste and see that the Lord is good;*
 happy are they who trust in him!
Fear the Lord, you that are his saints,*
 for those who fear him lack nothing.
The young lions lack and suffer hunger,*
 but those who seek the Lord
 lack nothing that is good.
Come, children, and listen to me;*
 I will teach you the fear of the Lord.
Who among you loves life*
 and desires long life to enjoy prosperity?
Keep your tongue from evil-speaking*
 and your lips from lying words.
Turn from evil and do good;*
 seek peace and pursue it.
The eyes of the Lord
are upon the righteous,*
 and his ears are open to their cry.
The face of the Lord
is against those who do evil,*
 to root out the remembrance
 of them from the earth.
The righteous cry and the Lord hears them*
 and delivers them from all their troubles.
The Lord is near to the brokenhearted*
 and will save those
 whose spirits are crushed.
Many are the troubles of the righteous,*
 but the Lord will deliver him
 out of them all.
He will keep safe all his bones;*
 not one of them shall be broken.
Evil shall slay the wicked,*
 and those who hate the righteous
 will be punished.
The Lord ransoms the life of his servants,*
 and none will be punished who trust in him.
FIRST READING [Genesis 16:1-14]:

Now Sarai, Abram's wife, bore him no children. She had an Egyptian slave-girl whose name was Hagar, and Sarai said to Abram, 'You see that the Lord has prevented me from bearing children; go in to my slave-girl; it may be that I shall obtain children by her.' And Abram listened to the voice of Sarai. So, after Abram had lived for ten years in the land of Canaan, Sarai, Abram's wife, took Hagar the Egyptian, her slave-girl, and gave her to her husband Abram as a wife. He went in to Hagar, and she conceived; and when she saw that she had conceived, she looked with contempt on her mistress. Then Sarai said to Abram, 'May the wrong done to me be on you! I gave my slave-girl to your embrace, and when she saw that she had conceived, she looked on me with contempt. May the Lord judge between you and me!' But Abram said to Sarai, 'Your slave-girl is in your power; do to her as you please.' Then Sarai dealt harshly with her, and she ran away from her.

The angel of the Lord found her by a spring of water in the wilderness, the spring on the way to Shur. And he said, 'Hagar, slave-girl of Sarai, where have you come from and where are you going?' She said, 'I am running away from my mistress Sarai.' The angel of the Lord said to her, 'Return to your mistress, and submit to her.' The angel of the Lord also said to her, 'I will so greatly multiply your offspring that they cannot be counted for multitude.' And the angel of the Lord said to her, 'Now you have conceived and shall bear a son; you shall call him Ishmael, for the Lord has given heed to your affliction. He shall be a wild ass of a man, with his hand against everyone, and everyone's hand against him; and he shall live at odds with all his kin.'
So she named the Lord who spoke to her, 'You are El-roi'; for she said, 'Have I really seen God and remained alive after seeing him?' Therefore the well was called Beer-lahai-roi; it lies between Kadesh and Bered.

HYMN
Words: Robert S Bridges (1844-1930), after F Robert Tailour (1599-1637)
Tune: Donne secours

The Queen, O God, her heart to thee upraiseth;
With her the nation bows before thy face;
With high thanksgiving thee thy glad Church praiseth,
Our strength thy spirit, our trust and hope thy grace.

Unto great honour, glory undeserved,
Hast thou exalted us, and drawn thee nigh;
Nor, from thy judgements when our feet had swerved,
Didst thou forsake, nor leave us, Lord most high.

In thee our fathers trusted and were savèd,
In thee destroyèd thrones of tyrants proud;
>From ancient bondage freed the poor enslavèd;
To sow thy truth poured out their saintly blood.

Unto our minds give freedom and uprightness;
Let strength and courage lead o'er land and wave;
To our souls' armour grant celestial brightness,
Joy to our hearts, and faith beyond the grave.

Our plenteous nation still in power extending,
Increase our joy, uphold us by thy word;
Beauty and wisdom all our ways attending,
Good will to man and peace through Christ our Lord.

SECOND READING [Hebrews 13:1-8]:

Let mutual love continue. Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for by doing that some have entertained angels without knowing it. Remember those who are in prison, as though you were in prison with them; those who are being tortured, as though you yourselves were being tortured. Let marriage be held in honour by all, and let the marriage bed be kept undefiled; for God will judge fornicators and adulterers. Keep your lives free from the love of money, and be content with what you have; for he has said, 'I will never leave you or forsake you.' So we can say with confidence, 'The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid. What can anyone do to me?'

Remember your leaders, those who spoke the word of God to you; consider the outcome of their way of life, and imitate their faith. Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and for ever.

O God, give wisdom to those who govern us, a sense of justice to those who wield power, that they may frame laws that are life-giving, that the poor and the weak may breathe freely. May they defend the cause of the needy, save the abandoned and orphans, disarm the rebellious and violent.

May such wisdom endure like the sun and moon, giving light from one age to the next. May justice rain down like showers, that water the new sown fields.  In our days may justice flourish, and abundance of peace till the moon be no more.

May wisdom reign from sea to sea, following the great rivers to the end of the earth. May folly bow down to truth, the enemies of justice lick the dust. May all the rulers of the peoples seek wisdom, the nations serve the ways of justice and truth.

Those who are wise deliver the needy when they call, the weak and those who have no one to speak for them. They will rescue them from oppression and violence and their lives are precious in their sight.

So may there be abundance of grain in the land, to the tops of the hills may it wave. Let the mountains be laden with peace, with prosperity that follows from justice. May the corn swell with the gentle rains, the sheaves thicken like the grass of the meadows.

May prayer be made for those in high office, that they may bear their burdens with wisdom. May blessings be invoked on them from day to day, may they be heartened by the prayers of the people.

Blessed by the God of all the earth, who alone is all wisdom and justice, who alone works great wonders. Blessed be the glorious name of God, may the universe be filled with God’s glory. Let the Amen echo with praise.

O righteous Lord, lover of righteousness, may your Holy Spirit be with our rulers, with our sovereign and all in authority under her, that they may govern in faith and fear, striving to put down all that is evil and to encourage all that is good. Give your spirit of wisdom to those who make our laws, grant that they may understand the responsibility and authority they bear, that they may may not do it lightly, but instead work to put away all wrong and oppression, and advance the true welfare of your people. Amen.

O God, who providest for thy people by thy power, and rulest over them in love: Vouchsafe so to bless thy Servant our Queen, that under her this nation may be wisely governed, and thy Church may serve thee in all godly quietness; and grant that she being devoted to thee with her whole heart, and persevering in good works unto the end, may, by thy guidance, come to thine everlasting kingdom; through Jesus Christ thy Son our Lord, who liveth and reigneth with thee and the Holy Ghost, ever one God, world without end. Amen.

O Lord our God, who upholdest and governest all things by the word of thy power: Receive our humble prayers for our Sovereign Lady ELIZABETH, as on this day, set over us by thy grace and providence to be our Queen; and, together with her, bless, we beseech thee, Philip Duke of Edinburgh, Charles Prince of Wales, and all the Royal Family; that they, ever trusting in thy goodness, protected by thy power, and crowned with thy gracious and endless favour, may long continue before thee in peace and safety, joy and honour, and after death may obtain everlasting life and glory, by the merits and mediation of Christ Jesus our Saviour, who with thee and the Holy Ghost liveth and reigneth ever one God, world without end. Amen.

Almighty God, who rulest over all the kingdoms of the world, and dost order them according to thy good pleasure: We yield thee unfeigned thanks, for that thou wast pleased, as on this day, to set thy Servant our Sovereign Lady, Queen ELIZABETH, upon the Throne of this Realm. Let thy wisdom be her guide, and let thine arm strengthen her; let truth and justice, holiness and righteousness, peace and charity, abound in her days; direct all her counsels and endeavours to thy glory, and the welfare of her subjects; give us grace to obey her cheerfully for conscience sake, and let her always possess the hearts of her people; let her reign be long and prosperous, and crown her with everlasting life in the world to come; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Grant us patience, grant us courage,
grant us foresight and great faith,
be our security in our anxieties,
our inspirataion in our opportunities,
and in our plans and actions
may your kingdom come, your will be done. Amen.
The psalms are from _Celebrating Common Prayer_ (Mowbray), (c) The Society of Saint Francis 1992, which is used with permission. The biblical passage is from The New Revised Standard Version (Anglicized Edition), copyright (c) 1989, 1995 by the Division of Christian Education of  the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA. Used by permission. All rights reserved. The opening sentence is Romans 13:1. The opening prayer of thanksgiving is in _Opening Prayers: Collects in Contemporary Language _. Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999. The intercession is a paraphrase of Psalm 72 by Jim Cotter.  The first collect is adapted from a prayer by Thomas Arnold (195-1842). The three collects are from the Accession Day service in The Book of Common Prayer. The closing sentence is adapted from a prayer by Lilian Cox.