OREMUS: 28 September 2011

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue Sep 27 17:00:01 GMT 2011

OREMUS for September 28

most majestic, most motherly,
our strength and our song:
You show us a vision of the tree of life
with fruits for all
and leaves that heal the nations.
Blessed be God forever!

Lord, remember David*
 and all the hardships he endured;
How he swore an oath to the Lord*
 and vowed a vow to the Mighty One of Jacob:
'I will not come under the roof of my house,*
 nor climb up into my bed;
'I will not allow my eyes to sleep,*
 nor let my eyelids slumber;
'Until I find a place for the Lord,*
 a dwelling for the Mighty One of Jacob.'
'The Ark! We heard it was in Ephrathah;*
 we found it in the fields of Jearim.
'Let us go to God's dwelling place;*
 let us fall upon our knees before his footstool.'
Arise, O Lord, into your restingplace,*
 you and the ark of your strength.
Let your priests be clothed with righteousness;*
 let your faithful people sing with joy.
For your servant David's sake,*
 do not turn away the face of your anointed.
The Lord has sworn an oath to David;*
 in truth, he will not break it:
'A son, the fruit of your body*
 will I set upon your throne.
'If your children keep my covenant
   and my testimonies that I shall teach them,*
 their children will sit upon your throne for evermore.'
For the Lord has chosen Zion,*
 he has desired her for his habitation:
'This shall be my restingplace for ever;*
 here will I dwell, for I delight in her.
'I will surely bless her provisions,*
 and satisfy her poor with bread.
'I will clothe her priests with salvation,*
 and her faithful people will rejoice and sing.
'There will I make the horn of David flourish;*
 I have prepared a lamp for my anointed.
As for his enemies, I will clothe them with shame;*
 but as for him, his crown will shine.(

Psalm 133

O how good and pleasant it is,*
 when a family lives together in unity!
It is like fine oil upon the head*
 that runs down upon the beard,
Upon the beard of Aaron,*
 and runs down upon the collar of his robe.
It is like the dew of Hermon*
 that falls upon the hills of Zion.
For there the Lord has ordained the blessing:*
 life for evermore.

Psalm 134

Behold now, bless the Lord,
   all you servants of the Lord,*
 you that stand by night in the house of the Lord.
Lift up your hands in the holy place
   and bless the Lord;*
 the Lord who made heaven and earth
   bless you out of Zion.

FIRST READING [Ecclus 39.13–end]:

Listen to me, my faithful children, and blossom
   like a rose growing by a stream of water.
Send out fragrance like incense,
   and put forth blossoms like a lily.
Scatter the fragrance, and sing a hymn of praise;
   bless the Lord for all his works.
Ascribe majesty to his name
   and give thanks to him with praise,
with songs on your lips, and with harps;
   this is what you shall say in thanksgiving:

'All the works of the Lord are very good,
   and whatever he commands will be done at the appointed time.
No one can say, “What is this?” or “Why is that?”—
   for at the appointed time all such questions will be answered.
At his word the waters stood in a heap,
   and the reservoirs of water at the word of his mouth.
When he commands, his every purpose is fulfilled,
   and none can limit his saving power.
The works of all are before him,
   and nothing can be hidden from his eyes.
>From the beginning to the end of time he can see everything,
   and nothing is too marvellous for him.
No one can say, “What is this?” or “Why is that?”—
   for everything has been created for its own purpose.

'His blessing covers the dry land like a river,
   and drenches it like a flood.
But his wrath drives out the nations,
   as when he turned a watered land into salt.
To the faithful his ways are straight,
   but full of pitfalls for the wicked.
>From the beginning good things were created for the good,
   but for sinners good things and bad.
The basic necessities of human life
   are water and fire and iron and salt
and wheat flour and milk and honey,
   the blood of the grape and oil and clothing.
All these are good for the godly,
   but for sinners they turn into evils.

'There are winds created for vengeance,
   and in their anger they can dislodge mountains;
on the day of reckoning they will pour out their strength
   and calm the anger of their Maker.
Fire and hail and famine and pestilence,
   all these have been created for vengeance;
the fangs of wild animals and scorpions and vipers,
   and the sword that punishes the ungodly with destruction.
They take delight in doing his bidding,
   always ready for his service on earth;
   and when their time comes they never disobey his command.'

So from the beginning I have been convinced of all this
   and have thought it out and left it in writing:
All the works of the Lord are good,
   and he will supply every need in its time.
No one can say, 'This is not as good as that',
   for everything proves good in its appointed time.
So now sing praise with all your heart and voice,
   and bless the name of the Lord.

HYMN
Words: Isaac Watts (1674-1748)
Tune: St Bernard

With joy we contemplate the grace
of our high priest above;
his heart is made of tenderness,
and overflows with love.

Touched with a sympathy within,
our frailty he has known;
he knows what fierce temptations mean,
for he has felt our own.

But holy, innocent and pure
the great Redeemer stood,
while Satan's worst assaults he bore
and did resist to blood.

He, in the days of fragile flesh,
poured out his cries and tears
and, as our head, now feels afresh
what every member bears.

He will not quench the smouldering wick
but fans it to a flame,
the wounded reed he will not break,
nor scorn the lowest name.

Then let our humble faith confess
his mercy and his power:
so we shall find his saving grace
when comes the evil hour.

SECOND READING [Mark 16.9–end]:

And all that had been commanded them they told briefly to those around Peter. And afterwards Jesus himself sent out through them, from east to west, the sacred and imperishable proclamation of eternal salvation.

Now after he rose early on the first day of the week, he appeared first to Mary Magdalene, from whom he had cast out seven demons. She went out and told those who had been with him, while they were mourning and weeping. But when they heard that he was alive and had been seen by her, they would not believe it.

After this he appeared in another form to two of them, as they were walking into the country. And they went back and told the rest, but they did not believe them.

Later he appeared to the eleven themselves as they were sitting at the table; and he upbraided them for their lack of faith and stubbornness, because they had not believed those who saw him after he had risen. And he said to them, 'Go into all the world and proclaim the good news to the whole creation. The one who believes and is baptized will be saved; but the one who does not believe will be condemned. And these signs will accompany those who believe: by using my name they will cast out demons; they will speak in new tongues; they will pick up snakes in their hands, and if they drink any deadly thing, it will not hurt them; they will lay their hands on the sick, and they will recover.'

So then the Lord Jesus, after he had spoken to them, was taken up into heaven and sat down at the right hand of God. And they went out and proclaimed the good news everywhere, while the Lord worked with them and confirmed the message by the signs that accompanied it. ]]

Let us pray for our own needs and for the needs of others,
following the pattern which Jesus gave
when he taught us to pray to God our Father.

Through our love of the countryside,
through our care for animals,
through our respect for property and tools,
Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name.

On our farms and in our homes,
in our colleges and schools,
where machinery is made, and where policy is planned,
Father, your kingdom come.

By our seeking your guidance,
by our keeping your commandments,
by our living true to our consciences,
Father, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.

For the millions who live in poverty and hunger,
for our own needs, and the requirements of our neighbours,
by cooperation, sympathy, and generosity,
Give us today our daily bread.

Because we have broken your commandments,
doing what we ought not to do,
and neglecting what we ought to do,
Forgive us our sins.

If any have injured us by injustice, double dealing or exploitation,
We forgive those who sin against us.

When prosperity lulls us to false security,
or adversity prompts us to despair,
when success makes us boastful,
or failure makes us bitter,
Save us from the time of trial, and deliver us from evil.

God of love,
your Son gave us a new commandment,
that we should love one another,
even as you love us,
the unworthy and the wandering.
Give us a mind forgetful of past ill-will
and a heart to love one another;
through the same Jesus Christ,
your Son, our Saviour. Amen.

Guide us, O Lord, in all the changes of life,
that with faith, hope, and love, we may follow your divine will. Amen.

The opening prayer is from _Evangelical Lutheran Worship_, (c) 2006 Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. The collect and closing sentence are from  _Book of Common Order of the Church of Scotland_, (c) 1994, Panel on Worship of the Church of Scotland.