OREMUS: 24 September 2011

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Sep 23 23:12:08 GMT 2011

OREMUS for September 24

Blessed are you, God of our weary years,
God of our silent tears,
you have brought us this far along the way.
In times of bitterness you did not abandon us,
but guided us into the path of love and light.
The cry of the poor has become your own cry;
our hunger and thirst for justice is your own desire.
/p>

I love the Lord,
   because he has heard the voice of my supplication,*
 because he has inclined his ear to me
   whenever I called upon him.
The cords of death entangled me;
   the grip of the grave took hold of me;*
 I came to grief and sorrow.
Then I called upon the name of the Lord:*
 'O Lord, I pray you, save my life.'
Gracious is the Lord and righteous;*
 our God is full of compassion.
The Lord watches over the innocent;*
 I was brought very low and he helped me.
Turn again to your rest, O my soul,*
 for the Lord has treated you well.
For you have rescued my life from death,*
 my eyes from tears and my feet from stumbling.
I will walk in the presence of the Lord*

 in the land of the living.
I believed, even when I said,
   'I have been brought very low.'*
 In my distress I said, 'No one can be trusted.'
How shall I repay the Lord*
 for all the good things he has done for me?
I will lift up the cup of salvation*
 and call upon the name of the Lord.
I will fulfil my vows to the Lord*
 in the presence of all his people.
Precious in the sight of the Lord*
 is the death of his servants.
O Lord, I am your servant;*
 I am your servant and the child of your handmaid;
   you have freed me from my bonds.
I will offer you the sacrifice of thanksgiving*
 and call upon the name of the Lord.
I will fulfil my vows to the Lord*
 in the presence of all his people.
In the courts of the Lord's house,*
 in the midst of you, O Jerusalem.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*
 laud him, all you peoples.
For his lovingkindness towards us is great,*

Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good;*
 his mercy endures for ever.
Let Israel now proclaim,*
 'His mercy endures for ever.'
Let the house of Aaron now proclaim,*
 'His mercy endures for ever.'
Let those who fear the Lord now proclaim,*
 'His mercy endures for ever.'
I called to the Lord in my distress;*
 the Lord answered by setting me free.
The Lord is at my side, therefore I will not fear;*
 what can anyone do to me?
The Lord is at my side to help me;*
 I will triumph over those who hate me.
It is better to rely on the Lord*
 than to put any trust in flesh.
It is better to rely on the Lord*
 than to put any trust in rulers.
All the ungodly encompass me;*
 in the name of the Lord I will repel them.
They hem me in, they hem me in on every side;*
 in the name of the Lord I will repel them.
They swarm about me like bees;
   they blaze like a fire of thorns;*
 in the name of the Lord I will repel them.
I was pressed so hard that I almost fell,*
 but the Lord came to my help.
The Lord is my strength and my song,*
 and he has become my salvation.
There is a sound of exultation and victory*
 in the tents of the righteous:
'The right hand of the Lord has triumphed!*
 the right hand of the Lord is exalted!
   the right hand of the Lord has triumphed!'
I shall not die, but live,*
 and declare the works of the Lord.
The Lord has punished me sorely,*
 but he did not hand me over to death.
Open for me the gates of righteousness;*
 I will enter them; I will offer thanks to the Lord.
'This is the gate of the Lord;*
 whoever is righteous may enter.'
I will give thanks to you, for you answered me*
 and have become my salvation.
The same stone which the builders rejected*
 has become the chief cornerstone.
This is the Lord's doing,*
 and it is marvellous in our eyes.
On this day the Lord has acted;*
 we will rejoice and be glad in it.
Hosanna, Lord, hosanna!*
 Lord, send us now success.
Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord;*
 we bless you from the house of the Lord.
God is the Lord; he has shined upon us;*
 form a procession with branches
   up to the horns of the altar.
'You are my God and I will thank you;*
 you are my God and I will exalt you.'
Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good;*
 his mercy endures for ever.

FIRST READING [Ecclus 37.7–24]:

All counsellors praise the counsel they give,
   but some give counsel in their own interest.
Be wary of a counsellor,
   and learn first what is his interest,
   for he will take thought for himself.
He may cast the lot against you
   and tell you, ‘Your way is good’,
   and then stand aside to see what happens to you.
Do not consult one who regards you with suspicion;
   hide your intentions from those who are jealous of you.
Do not consult with a woman about her rival
   or with a coward about war,
with a merchant about business
   or with a buyer about selling,
with a miser about generosity
   or with the merciless about kindness,
with an idler about any work
   or with a seasonal labourer about completing his work,
with a lazy servant about a big task—
   pay no attention to any advice they give.
But associate with a godly person
   whom you know to be a keeper of the commandments,
who is like-minded with yourself,
   and who will grieve with you if you fail.
And heed the counsel of your own heart,
   for no one is more faithful to you than it is.
For our own mind sometimes keeps us better informed
   than seven sentinels sitting high on a watch-tower.
But above all pray to the Most High
   that he may direct your way in truth.

Discussion is the beginning of every work,
   and counsel precedes every undertaking.
The mind is the root of all conduct;
   it sprouts four branches,
good and evil, life and death;
   and it is the tongue that continually rules them.
Some people may be clever enough to teach many,
   and yet be useless to themselves.
A skilful speaker may be hated;
   he will be destitute of all food,
for the Lord has withheld the gift of charm,
   since he is lacking in all wisdom.
If a person is wise to his own advantage,
   the fruits of his good sense will be praiseworthy.
A wise person instructs his own people,
   and the fruits of his good sense will endure.
A wise person will have praise heaped upon him,
   and all who see him will call him happy.

HYMN
Words: Don Pickard (born 1941) © 1993 Stainer & Bell Ltd Used with permission
Tune: Der Gott der Hoffnung (CM)

The God of hope is God who comes,
To wait with us in faith;
Within our darkness and our fears,
Our comforter and strength.

The God who comes is God who speaks:
A living, human word;
Within our neighbours' joys and tears
The voice of God is heard.

We look for God to come, and yet,
Unknown, God comes to be
Till the imprisoned, trampled ones
Are in God's presence free.

We celebrate the God who is:
Love has a human face!
God greets the humble, lifts the poor,
And we are filled with grace.

SECOND READING [Mark 15.16–32]:

Then the soldiers led him into the courtyard of the palace (that is, the governor's headquarters); and they called together the whole cohort. And they clothed him in a purple cloak; and after twisting some thorns into a crown, they put it on him. And they began saluting him, 'Hail, King of the Jews!' They struck his head with a reed, spat upon him, and knelt down in homage to him. After mocking him, they stripped him of the purple cloak and put his own clothes on him. Then they led him out to crucify him.

They compelled a passer-by, who was coming in from the country, to carry his cross; it was Simon of Cyrene, the father of Alexander and Rufus. Then they brought Jesus to the place called Golgotha (which means the place of a skull). And they offered him wine mixed with myrrh; but he did not take it. And they crucified him, and divided his clothes among them, casting lots to decide what each should take.

It was nine o'clock in the morning when they crucified him. The inscription of the charge against him read, 'The King of the Jews.' And with him they crucified two bandits, one on his right and one on his left. Those who passed by derided him, shaking their heads and saying, 'Aha! You who would destroy the temple and build it in three days, save yourself, and come down from the cross!' In the same way the chief priests, along with the scribes, were also mocking him among themselves and saying, 'He saved others; he cannot save himself. Let the Messiah, the King of Israel, come down from the cross now, so that we may see and believe.' Those who were crucified with him also taunted him.

Planting God,
how beautiful on the mountains are the feet of those
who bring good news.

Around your table we are bound together as your Body
for the life of the world.
Grant us a grower's wisdom, O Lord.

Deliver us from impatience
that will not wait for fruit to ripen:
Grant us a grower(s wisdom, O Lord.

Save us from forcing others to see what we see
and embrace what we embrace:
Grant us a grower(s wisdom, O Lord.

Liberate us from anger rooted in self-justification:
Grant us a grower(s wisdom, O Lord.

Fix our gaze upon you
so that we are not overwhelmed by the want and failure of others:
Grant us a grower(s wisdom, O Lord.

Sow yourself in our words and deeds
that become food for hungry souls:
Grant us a grower(s wisdom, O Lord.

O God, you are rich in love for your people. Show us the treasure that endures and, when we are tempted by greed, remind us of your lavish mercy. Call us back into your service and make us worthy to be entrusted with the wealth that never fails. We ask this through your Son, our Lord Jesus Christ, who lives and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit, one God, forever and ever. Amen.

Teach us your ways of justice, O Lord,
and lead us to practice your generosity.  Amen.

The opening prayer and closing prayer are adapted from _Revised Common
Lectionary Prayers_, copyright (c) 2002 Consultation on Common Texts