OREMUS: 23 September 2011

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu Sep 22 17:00:00 GMT 2011

OREMUS for September 23

Blessed are you, O God most mighty,
O God most merciful,
O God our rock and our salvation.
When the world was a formless void,
you formed order and beauty.
You entered our sorrows
in Jesus our brother.
He was born among the poor,
lived under oppression,
and wept over the city.
With infinite love,
he brought your life to all people.

The Lord said to my lord, 'Sit at my right hand,*
 until I make your enemies your footstool.'
The Lord will send the sceptre of your power
   out of Zion,*
 saying, 'Rule over your enemies round about you.
'Princely state has been yours
   from the day of your birth,*
 in the beauty of holiness have I begotten you,
   like dew from the womb of the morning.'
The Lord has sworn and he will not recant:*
 'You are a priest for ever after the order of Melchizedek.'

   I will give thanks to the Lord with my whole heart,*
 in the assembly of the upright, in the congregation.
Great are the deeds of the Lord!*
 they are studied by all who delight in them.
His work is full of majesty and splendour,*
 and his righteousness endures for ever.
He makes his marvellous works to be remembered;*
 the Lord is gracious and full of compassion.
He gives food to those who fear him;*
 he is ever mindful of his covenant.
He has shown his people the power of his works*
 in giving them the lands of the nations.
The works of his hands are faithfulness and justice;*
 all his commandments are sure.
They stand fast for ever and ever,*
 because they are done in truth and equity.
He sent redemption to his people;
   he commanded his covenant for ever;*
 holy and awesome is his name.
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom;*
 those who act accordingly have a good understanding;
   his praise endures for ever.

   Happy are they who fear the Lord*
 and have great delight in his commandments!
Their descendants will be mighty in the land;*
 the generation of the upright will be blessed.
Wealth and riches will be in their house,*
 and their righteousness will last for ever.
Light shines in the darkness for the upright;*
 the righteous are merciful and full of compassion.
It is good for them to be generous in lending*
 and to manage their affairs with justice.
For they will never be shaken;*
 the righteous will be kept in everlasting remembrance.
They will not be afraid of any evil rumours;*
 their heart is right;
   they put their trust in the Lord.
Their heart is established and will not shrink,*
 until they see their desire upon their enemies.
They have given freely to the poor,*
 and their righteousness stands fast for ever;
   they will hold up their head with honour.
The wicked will see it and be angry;
   they will gnash their teeth and pine away;*
 the desires of the wicked will perish.

   Give praise, you servants of the Lord;*
 praise the name of the Lord.
Let the name of the Lord be blessed,*
 from this time forth for evermore.
>From the rising of the sun to its going down*
 let the name of the Lord be praised.
The Lord is high above all nations,*
 and his glory above the heavens.
Who is like the Lord our God,
   who sits enthroned on high,*
 but stoops to behold the heavens and the earth?
He takes up the weak out of the dust*
 and lifts up the poor from the ashes.
He sets them with the princes,*
 with the princes of his people.
He makes the woman of a childless house*
 to be a joyful mother of children.

FIRST READING [Ecclesiasticus 35]:

One who keeps the law makes many offerings;
   one who heeds the commandments makes an offering of well-being.
One who returns a kindness offers choice flour,
   and one who gives alms sacrifices a thank-offering.
To keep from wickedness is pleasing to the Lord,
   and to forsake unrighteousness is an atonement.
Do not appear before the Lord empty-handed,
   for all that you offer is in fulfilment of the commandment.
The offering of the righteous enriches the altar,
   and its pleasing odour rises before the Most High.
The sacrifice of the righteous is acceptable,
   and it will never be forgotten.
Be generous when you worship the Lord,
   and do not stint the first fruits of your hands.
With every gift show a cheerful face,
   and dedicate your tithe with gladness.
Give to the Most High as he has given to you,
   and as generously as you can afford.
For the Lord is the one who repays,
   and he will repay you sevenfold.

Do not offer him a bribe, for he will not accept it;
   and do not rely on a dishonest sacrifice;
for the Lord is the judge,
   and with him there is no partiality.
He will not show partiality to the poor;
   but he will listen to the prayer of one who is wronged.
He will not ignore the supplication of the orphan,
   or the widow when she pours out her complaint.
Do not the tears of the widow run down her cheek
   as she cries out against the one who causes them to fall?
One whose service is pleasing to the Lord will be accepted,
   and his prayer will reach to the clouds.
The prayer of the humble pierces the clouds,
   and it will not rest until it reaches its goal;
it will not desist until the Most High responds
   and does justice to the righteous, and executes judgement.
Indeed, the Lord will not delay,
   and like a warrior will not be patient
until he crushes the loins of the unmerciful
   and repays vengeance on the nations;
until he destroys the multitude of the insolent,
   and breaks the sceptres of the unrighteous;
until he repays mortals according to their deeds,
   and the works of all according to their thoughts;
until he judges the case of his people
   and makes them rejoice in his mercy.
His mercy is as welcome in time of distress
   as clouds of rain in time of drought.

HYMN
Words: Philip Doddridge (1702-1751), John Logan (1748-1788), Michael Bruce (1746-1767), Scottish Paraphrases (1781)
Tune: Abridge, Burford, Dundee, Martyrdom, St Columba, Salzburg, Stracathro, Tallis' Ordinal

O God of Bethel, by whose hand
thy people still are fed,
who through this earthly pilgrimage
hast all our fathers led:

Our vows, our prayers, we now present
before thy throne of grace:
God of our fathers, be the God
of their succeeding race.

Through each perplexing path of life
our wandering footsteps guide;
give us each day our daily bread,
and raiment fit provide.

O spread thy covering wings around,
till all our wanderings cease,
and at our Father's loved abode
our souls arrive in peace.

To thee as to our Covenant-God
we'll our whole selves resign;
and this not as a tithe alone,
for all we have is thine.

Such blessings from thy gracious hand
our humble prayers implore;
and thou shalt be our chosen God,
and portion evermore.

SECOND READING [Mark 15.1–15]:

As soon as it was morning, the chief priests held a consultation with the elders and scribes and the whole council. They bound Jesus, led him away, and handed him over to Pilate. Pilate asked him, 'Are you the King of the Jews?' He answered him, 'You say so.' Then the chief priests accused him of many things. Pilate asked him again, 'Have you no answer? See how many charges they bring against you.' But Jesus made no further reply, so that Pilate was amazed.

Now at the festival he used to release a prisoner for them, anyone for whom they asked. Now a man called Barabbas was in prison with the rebels who had committed murder during the insurrection. So the crowd came and began to ask Pilate to do for them according to his custom. Then he answered them, 'Do you want me to release for you the King of the Jews?' For he realized that it was out of jealousy that the chief priests had handed him over. But the chief priests stirred up the crowd to have him release Barabbas for them instead. Pilate spoke to them again, 'Then what do you wish me to do with the man you call the King of the Jews?' They shouted back, 'Crucify him!' Pilate asked them, 'Why, what evil has he done?' But they shouted all the more, 'Crucify him!' So Pilate, wishing to satisfy the crowd, released Barabbas for them; and after flogging Jesus, he handed him over to be crucified.

Foundation of all that is,

you are our dwelling place for all time.

For what you have wrought through the waters of baptism
and your indwelling Spirit:
We praise you, Lord.

For the peace and strength of your surrounding mercy:
We praise you, Lord.

For all the ways your grace has shaped the patterns of our lives:
We praise you, Lord.

Free us and all your church to be at home with you today.
Strong God, hear us.

Make our hearts hospitable to all whom we meet today.
Strong God, hear us.

Steady in us all our choices and encounters.
Strong God, hear us.

Hold tenderly to your Church,
east, west, north, south,
past, present and future for Christ(s sake.
Strong God, hear us.

Almighty God, you have created the heavens and the earth, and ourselves1 in your image: Teach us to discern your hand in all your works and to serve you with reverence and thanksgiving; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who is alive and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever. Amen.

Quicken us with your Word, O Lord,
grant the peace on earth
which is a foretaste of the kingdom to come. Amen.

The opening prayer is from _Evangelical Lutheran Worship_, (c) 2006 Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.  The closing prayer is Swedish in origin.