OREMUS: 16 September 2011

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu Sep 15 17:00:00 GMT 2011

OREMUS for September 16
Edward Bouverie Pusey, Priest, Tractarian, 1882

Blessed are you, gracious and loving God,
you created the heavens and the earth
and all that is in them.
You made us in your own image;
and in countless ways you show us your mercy.
Blessed are you, Father, Son, Holy Spirit:

O God, the heathen have come into your inheritance;
   they have profaned your holy temple;*
 they have made Jerusalem a heap of rubble.
They have given the bodies of your servants
   as food for the birds of the air,*
 and the flesh of your faithful ones
   to the beasts of the field.
They have shed their blood like water
   on every side of Jerusalem,*
 and there was no one to bury them.
We have become a reproach to our neighbours,*
 an object of scorn and derision to those around us.
How long will you be angry, O Lord?*
 will your fury blaze like fire for ever?
Pour out your wrath upon the heathen
   who have not known you*
 and upon the kingdoms
   that have not called upon your name.
For they have devoured Jacob*
 and made his dwelling a ruin.
Remember not our past sins;
   let your compassion be swift to meet us;*
 for we have been brought very low.
Help us, O God our Saviour, for the glory of your name;*
 deliver us and forgive us our sins, for your name's sake.     [
Why should the heathen say, 'Where is their God?'*
 Let it be known among the heathen and in our sight
   that you avenge the shedding
   of your servants' blood.]
Let the sorrowful sighing of the prisoners
   come before you,*
 and by your great might
   spare those who are condemned to die.     [
May the revilings with which
   they reviled you, O Lord,*
 return sevenfold into their bosoms.]
We are your people and the sheep of your pasture;*
 we will give you thanks for ever
   and show forth your praise from age to age.

Psalm 80

Hear, O Shepherd of Israel, leading Joseph like a flock;*
 shine forth, you that are enthroned upon the cherubim.
In the presence of Ephraim, Benjamin and Manasseh,*
 stir up your strength and come to help us.
Restore us, O God of hosts;*
 show the light of your countenance
   and we shall be saved.
O Lord God of hosts,*
 how long will you be angered
   despite the prayers of your people?
You have fed them with the bread of tears;*
 you have given them bowls of tears to drink.
You have made us the derision of our neighbours,*
 and our enemies laugh us to scorn.
Restore us, O God of hosts;*
 show the light of your countenance
   and we shall be saved.
You have brought a vine out of Egypt;*
 you cast out the nations and planted it.
You prepared the ground for it;*
 it took root and filled the land.
The mountains were covered by its shadow*
 and the towering cedar trees by its boughs.
You stretched out its tendrils to the Sea*
 and its branches to the River.
Why have you broken down its wall,*
 so that all who pass by pluck off its grapes?
The wild boar of the forest has ravaged it,*
 and the beasts of the field have grazed upon it.
Turn now, O God of hosts, look down from heaven;
   behold and tend this vine;*
 preserve what your right hand has planted.
They burn it with fire like rubbish;*
 at the rebuke of your countenance let them perish.
Let your hand be upon the man of your right hand,*
 the son of man you have made so strong for yourself.
And so will we never turn away from you;*
 give us life, that we may call upon your name.
Restore us, O Lord God of hosts;*
 show the light of your countenance
   and we shall be saved.

Psalm 81

Sing with joy to God our strength*
 and raise a loud shout to the God of Jacob.
Raise a song and sound the timbrel,*
 the merry harp and the lyre.
Blow the ram'shorn at the new moon,*
 and at the full moon, the day of our feast.
For this is a statute for Israel,*
 a law of the God of Jacob.
He laid it as a solemn charge upon Joseph,*
 when he came out of the land of Egypt.
I heard an unfamiliar voice saying,*
 'I eased his shoulder from the burden;
   his hands were set free from bearing the load.'
You called on me in trouble and I saved you;*
 I answered you from the secret place of thunder
   and tested you at the waters of Meribah.
Hear, O my people, and I will admonish you:*
 O Israel, if you would but listen to me!
There shall be no strange god among you;*
 you shall not worship a foreign god.
I am the Lord your God,
   who brought you out of the land of Egypt and said,*
 'Open your mouth wide and I will fill it.'
And yet my people did not hear my voice,*
 and Israel would not obey me.
So I gave them over to the stubbornness
   of their hearts,*
 to follow their own devices.
O that my people would listen to me!*
 that Israel would walk in my ways!
I should soon subdue their enemies*
 and turn my hand against their foes.
Those who hate the Lord would cringe before him,*
 and their punishment would last for ever.
But Israel would I feed with the finest wheat*
 and satisfy him with honey from the rock.

FIRST READING [Ecclus 22.27–23.15]:

Who will set a guard over my mouth,
   and an effective seal upon my lips,
so that I may not fall because of them,
   and my tongue may not destroy me?
O Lord, Father and Master of my life,
   do not abandon me to their designs,
   and do not let me fall because of them!
Who will set whips over my thoughts,
   and the discipline of wisdom over my mind,
so as not to spare me in my errors,
   and not overlook my sins?
Otherwise my mistakes may be multiplied,
   and my sins may abound,
and I may fall before my adversaries,
   and my enemy may rejoice over me.
O Lord, Father and God of my life,
   do not give me haughty eyes,
   and remove evil desire from me.
Let neither gluttony nor lust overcome me,
   and do not give me over to shameless passion.

Listen, my children, to instruction concerning the mouth;
   one who observes it will never be caught.
Sinners are overtaken through their lips;
   by them the reviler and the arrogant are tripped up.
Do not accustom your mouth to oaths,
   nor habitually utter the name of the Holy One;
for as a servant who is constantly under scrutiny
   will not lack bruises,
so also the person who always swears and utters the Name
   will never be cleansed from sin.
One who swears many oaths is full of iniquity,
   and the scourge will not leave his house.
If he swears in error, his sin remains on him,
   and if he disregards it, he sins doubly;
if he swears a false oath, he will not be justified,
   for his house will be filled with calamities.

There is a manner of speaking comparable to death;
   may it never be found in the inheritance of Jacob!
Such conduct will be far from the godly,
   and they will not wallow in sins.
Do not accustom your mouth to coarse, foul language,
   for it involves sinful speech.
Remember your father and mother
   when you sit among the great,
or you may forget yourself in their presence,
   and behave like a fool through bad habit;
then you will wish that you had never been born,
   and you will curse the day of your birth.
Those who are accustomed to using abusive language
   will never become disciplined as long as they live.

HYMN
Words: John Keble (1792-1866)
Tune: Abends

Sun of my soul, my Saviour dear,
it is not night if You are near;
O may no earth-born cloud arise
to hide You from Your servant's eyes.

When the soft dews of kindly sleep
my wearied eyelids gently steep,
be my last thought, how sweet to rest
for ever on my Saviour's breast!

Abide with me from morn till eve,
for without You I cannot live;
abide with me when night is nigh,
for without You I dare not die.

If some poor wandering child of Yours
have spurned today Your holy voice,
now, Lord, the gracious work begin;
let them no more be ruled by sin.

Watch by the sick; enrich the poor
with blessings from Your boundless store;
be every mourner's bed tonight,
like infant's slumbers, pure and light.

Come near and bless us when we wake,
ere through the world our way we take;
till in the ocean of Your love
we lose ourselves in heaven above.

SECOND READING [Mark 14.1–11]:

It was two days before the Passover and the festival of Unleavened Bread. The chief priests and the scribes were looking for a way to arrest Jesus by stealth and kill Jesus; for they said, 'Not during the festival, or there may be a riot among the people.'

While he was at Bethany in the house of Simon the leper, as he sat at the table, a woman came with an alabaster jar of very costly ointment of nard, and she broke open the jar and poured the ointment on his head. But some were there who said to one another in anger, 'Why was the ointment wasted in this way? For this ointment could have been sold for more than three hundred denarii, and the money given to the poor.' And they scolded her. But Jesus said, 'Let her alone; why do you trouble her? She has performed a good service for me. For you always have the poor with you, and you can show kindness to them whenever you wish; but you will not always have me. She has done what she could; she has anointed my body beforehand for its burial. Truly I tell you, wherever the good news is proclaimed in the whole world, what she has done will be told in remembrance of her.'

Then Judas Iscariot, who was one of the twelve, went to the chief priests in order to betray him to them. When they heard it, they were greatly pleased, and promised to give him money. So he began to look for an opportunity to betray him.

Almighty and gracious God,
we bless you for your mercy in Christ
and your nearness by the Word and the Spirit.

Hear us as we embrace in the circle of love:

the life and witness of your Church,
Generous God, hear us.

the world and its longing,
especially for peace wherever conflict persists.
Generous God, hear us.

the cares of our own lives,
Generous God, hear us.

and those particular concerns your Spirit awakens in us,
Generous God, hear us.

O God, fountain of love,
pour your love into our souls,
that we may love those whom you love
with the love you give us,
and think and speak with the love you give us,
and think and speak of them tenderly, meekly, lovingly;
and so loving our brothers and sisters for your sake,
may grow in your love,
and dwelling in your love may dwell in you,
for Jesus Christ's sake. Amen.

Lift up our souls, O Lord,
to the pure, serene light of your presence;
that, like your servant Edward Bouverie Pusey,
we may breathe freely, rest in your love,
and then return, full of your peace,
to do and bear those things which shall please you;

Work your holy will in us and through us this day.
May we do something this day for love of you;
something which shall please you;
that we may be nearer to you.  Amen.

The opening prayer from _Book of Common Worship_, (c) 1993 Westminster / John Knox Press. The first collect and closing sentence are by Edward Bouverie Pusey.

The second collect is based on a  prayer by Pusey.

Edward Pusey was born in 1800 and educated at Oxford, where he became a Fellow of Oriel College in 1823. He became an expert in biblical languages and criticism and in 1828 he was appointed Regius Professor of Hebrew in Oxford, the same year he was ordained. His patristic studies and firm adherence to a Catholic interpretation of doctrine made him one of the leaders of the Oxford Movement. He was significant in encouraging the revival of Religious Life within the Church of England and was a noted preacher. His austere way of life made him much revered by his contemporaries and they founded Pusey House and Library in Oxford in his memory, following his death on this day in 1882. [Exciting Holiness]