OREMUS: 13 September 2011

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Sep 12 17:00:00 GMT 2011

OREMUS for September 13
Cyprian, Bishop of Carthage, Martyr, 258

in Christ the walls that divide are broken down,
the chains that enslave are thrown aside,
and we are freed from death and despair
to life and hope,
liberated from hate and war
and empowered to love and seek peace.

Psalm 68 [CCP]

Let God arise and let his enemies be scattered;*
 let those who hate him flee before him.
Let them vanish like smoke
   when the wind drives it away;*
 as the wax melts at the fire,
   so let the wicked perish at the presence of God.
But let the righteous be glad and rejoice before God;*
 let them also be merry and joyful.
Sing to God, sing praises to his name;
   exalt him who rides upon the heavens;*
 Yahweh is his name, rejoice before him!
Father of orphans, defender of widows,*
 God in his holy habitation!
God gives the solitary a home

   and brings forth prisoners into freedom;*
 but the rebels shall live in dry places.
O God, when you went forth before your people,*
 when you marched through the wilderness,
The earth shook and the skies poured down rain,
   at the presence of God, the God of Sinai,*
 at the presence of God, the God of Israel.
You sent a gracious rain, O God, upon your inheritance;*
 you refreshed the land when it was weary.
Your people found their home in it;*
 in your goodness, O God,
   you have made provision for the poor.
The Lord gave the word;*
 great was the company of women who bore the tidings:
'Kings with their armies are fleeing away;*
 the women at home are dividing the spoils.'
Though you lingered among the sheepfolds,*
 you shall be like a dove
   whose wings are covered with silver,
   whose feathers are like green gold.
When the Almighty scattered kings,*
 it was like snow falling in Zalmon.
O mighty mountain, O hill of Bashan!*
 O rugged mountain, O hill of Bashan!
Why do you look with envy, O rugged mountain,
   at the hill which God chose for his resting place?*
 truly, the Lord will dwell there for ever.
The chariots of God are twenty thousand,
   even thousands of thousands;*
 the Lord comes in holiness from Sinai.
You have gone up on high and led captivity captive;
   you have received gifts even from your enemies,*
 that the Lord God might dwell among them.
Blessed be the Lord day by day,*
 the God of our salvation, who bears our burdens.
He is our God, the God of our salvation;*
 God is the Lord, by whom we escape death.
Your procession is seen, O God,*
 your procession into the sanctuary, my God and my King.
The singers go before, musicians follow after,*
 in the midst of maidens playing upon the handdrums.
Bless God in the congregation;*
 bless the Lord, you that are of the fountain of Israel.
There is Benjamin, least of the tribes, at the head;
   the princes of Judah in a company;*
 and the princes of Zebulon and Naphtali.
Send forth your strength, O God;*
 establish, O God, what you have wrought for us.
Kings shall bring gifts to you,*
 for your temple's sake at Jerusalem.
Rebuke the wild beast of the reeds,*
 and the peoples, a herd of wild bulls with its calves.
Trample down those who lust after silver;*
 scatter the peoples that delight in war.
Let tribute be brought out of Egypt;*
 let Ethiopia stretch out her hands to God.
Sing to God, O kingdoms of the earth;*
 sing praises to the Lord.
He rides in the heavens, the ancient heavens;*
 he sends forth his voice, his mighty voice.
Ascribe power to God;*
 his majesty is over Israel;
   his strength is in the skies.
How wonderful is God in his holy places!*
 the God of Israel giving strength and power to his people!
   Blessed be God!

FIRST READING [Ecclus 19.20–end]:

The whole of wisdom is fear of the Lord,
   and in all wisdom there is the fulfilment of the law.
The knowledge of wickedness is not wisdom,
   nor is there prudence in the counsel of sinners.
There is a cleverness that is detestable,
   and there is a fool who merely lacks wisdom.
Better are the God-fearing who lack understanding
   than the highly intelligent who transgress the law.
There is a cleverness that is exact but unjust,
   and there are people who abuse favours to gain a verdict.
There is the villain bowed down in mourning,
but inwardly he is full of deceit.
He hides his face and pretends not to hear,
   but when no one notices, he will take advantage of you.
Even if lack of strength keeps him from sinning,
   he will nevertheless do evil when he finds the opportunity.
A person is known by his appearance,
   and a sensible person is known when first met face to face.
A person’s attire and hearty laughter,
   and the way he walks, show what he is.

HYMN
Words: John R MacDuff (1818-1895)
Tune: Rhuddlan, Neander

Christ is coming! let creation
Bid her groans and travail cease;
Let the glorious proclamation
Hope restore, and faith increase:
Christ is coming!
Come, Thou blessèd Prince of Peace.

Earth can now but tell the story
Of Thy bitter cross and pain;
She shall yet behold Thy glory,
When Thou comest back to reign:
Christ is coming!
Let each heart repeat the strain.

Though once cradled in a manger;
Oft no pillow but the sod;
Here an alien and a stranger,
Mocked of man, and bruised of God -
All creation
Yet shall own Thy kingly rod.

Long Thine exiles have been pining,
Far from rest, and home, and Thee;
But in heavenly vesture shining,
They shall soon Thy glory see:
Christ is coming!
Haste the joyous jubilee!

With that blessèd hope before us,
Let no harp remain unstrung;
Let the mighty advent chorus
Onward roll from tongue to tongue:
Christ is coming!
Come, Lord Jesus, quickly come!

SECOND READING [Mark 13.24-31]:

Jesus said,  'But in those days, after that suffering,
the sun will be darkened,
   and the moon will not give its light,
and the stars will be falling from heaven,
   and the powers in the heavens will be shaken.
Then they will see "the Son of Man coming in clouds" with great power and glory. Then he will send out the angels, and gather his elect from the four winds, from the ends of the earth to the ends of heaven.

'From the fig tree learn its lesson: as soon as its branch becomes tender and puts forth its leaves, you know that summer is near. So also, when you see these things taking place, you know that he is near, at the very gates. Truly I tell you, this generation will not pass away until all these things have taken place. Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will not pass away.

Grant us to look with your eyes of compassion,
O merciful God, at the long travail of humankind:
the wars, the hungry millions,
the countless refugees,
the natural disasters,
the cruel and needless deaths,
our inhumanity to one another,
the heartbreak and hopelessness of so many lives.
Hasten the coming of the messianic age
when the nations shall be at peace,
and we shall live free from fear and free from want
and there shall be no more pain or tears,
in the security of your will,
the assurance of your love,
the coming of your Kingdom,
O God of righteousness, O Lord of compassion. Amen.

Scandalous God,
you suffer our will to power,
the narrowness of our faith:
lead us on the path of loss
where empires tremble
and terror yields to wisdom's cry
and the open hands of love;
through Jesus Christ, the crucified Lord. Amen.

Holy God,
who brought Cyprian to faith in Christ,
made him a bishop in the Church
and crowned his witness with a martyr's death:
grant that, after his example,
we may love the Church and her teachings,
find your forgiveness within her fellowship
and so come to share the heavenly banquet
you have prepared for us;

Let your peace, O God,
fill our hearts, our world, our universe. Amen.

The opening prayer uses phrases from a hymn by Walter Farquahrson and a prayer by
Satish Kumar. The closing prayer uses a sentence from the same prayer by Kumar. The intercession is by George Appleton. The first collect is from Prayers for an Inclusive Church.

Born in Carthage in about the year 200, Cyprian was a teacher of rhetoric and a lawyer in the city before his conversion to Christianity. He gave away his pagan library and set his mind to study the sacred Scriptures and the commentaries that were beginning to proliferate. He became a priest and then, in the year 248, was elected Bishop of Carthage by the people of the city, together with the assembled priests and other bishops present. He showed compassion to returning apostates, whilst always insisting on the need for unity in the Church. During the persecution of Valerian, the Christian clergy were required to participate in pagan worship; Cyprian refused and was first exiled and then condemned to death. He died September 15, 258. [Exciting Holiness]