OREMUS: 12 September 2011

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Sep 11 17:00:00 GMT 2011

OREMUS for September 12
John Henry Hobart, Bishop of New York, 1830

Blessed are you, gracious God, source of all healing.
In Jesus Christ you heal the sick
and mend the broken.
He is the source of healing and forgiveness
and of the fullness of life found only in you.
By your Spirit, you come upon all
that we may receive your healing touch
and be made whole,
to the glory of Jesus Christ our Redeemer.

For God alone my soul in silence waits;*
 from him comes my salvation.
He alone is my rock and my salvation,*
 my stronghold, so that I shall not be greatly shaken.
How long will you assail me to crush me,
   all of you together,*
 as if you were a leaning fence, a toppling wall?
They seek only to bring me down
   from my place of honour;*
 lies are their chief delight.
They bless with their lips,*
 but in their hearts they curse.
For God alone my soul in silence waits;*
 truly, my hope is in him.
He alone is my rock and my salvation,*
 my stronghold, so that I shall not be shaken.
In God is my safety and my honour;*
 God is my strong rock and my refuge.
Put your trust in him always, O people,*
 pour out your hearts before him, for God is our refuge.
Those of high degree are but a fleeting breath,*
 even those of low estate cannot be trusted.
On the scales they are lighter than a breath,*
 all of them together.
Put no trust in extortion;
   in robbery take no empty pride;*
 though wealth increase, set not your heart upon it.
God has spoken once, twice have I heard it,*
 that power belongs to God.
Steadfast love is yours, O Lord,*
 for you repay everyone according to his deeds.

Psalm 63

O God, you are my God; eagerly I seek you;*
 my soul thirsts for you, my flesh faints for you,
   as in a barren and dry land where there is no water;
Therefore I have gazed upon you in your holy place,*
 that I might behold your power and your glory.
For your lovingkindness is better than life itself;*
 my lips shall give you praise.
So will I bless you as long as I live*
 and lift up my hands in your name.
My soul is content, as with marrow and fatness,*
 and my mouth praises you with joyful lips,
When I remember you upon my bed,*
 and meditate on you in the night watches.
For you have been my helper,*
 and under the shadow of your wings I will rejoice.
My soul clings to you;*
 your right hand holds me fast.

Psalm 64

Hear my voice, O God, when I complain;*
 protect my life from fear of the enemy.
Hide me from the conspiracy of the wicked,*
 from the mob of evildoers.
They sharpen their tongue like a sword,*
 and aim their bitter words like arrows,
That they may shoot down the blameless from ambush;*
 they shoot without warning and are not afraid.
They hold fast to their evil course;*
 they plan how they may hide their snares.
They say, 'Who will see us?
   who will find out our crimes?*
 we have thought out a perfect plot.'
The human mind and heart are a mystery;*
 but God will loose an arrow at them,
   and suddenly they will be wounded.
He will make them trip over their tongues,*
 and all who see them will shake their heads.
Everyone will stand in awe and declare God's deeds;*
 they will recognise his works.
The righteous will rejoice in the Lord
   and put their trust in him,*
 and all who are true of heart will glory.

FIRST READING [Ecclus 19.4–17]:

One who trusts others too quickly has a shallow mind,
   and one who sins does wrong to himself.
One who rejoices in wickedness will be condemned,
   but one who hates gossip has less evil.
Never repeat a conversation,
   and you will lose nothing at all.
With friend or foe do not report it,
   and unless it would be a sin for you, do not reveal it;
for someone may have heard you and watched you,
   and in time will hate you.
Have you heard something? Let it die with you.
   Be brave, it will not make you burst!
Having heard something, the fool suffers birth-pangs
   like a woman in labour with a child.
Like an arrow stuck in a person’s thigh,
   so is gossip inside a fool.

Question a friend; perhaps he did not do it;
   or if he did, so that he may not do it again.
Question a neighbour; perhaps he did not say it;
   or if he said it, so that he may not repeat it.
Question a friend, for often it is slander;
   so do not believe everything you hear.
A person may make a slip without intending it.
   Who has not sinned with his tongue?
Question your neighbour before you threaten him;
   and let the law of the Most High take its course.

HYMN
Words: Horatio R. Palmer (1834-1907), 1868

Yield not to temptation, for yielding is sin;
each victory will help you some other to win;
fight manfully onward, dark passions subdue,
look ever to Jesus, he'll carry you through.
Refrain:
Ask the Savior to help you,
comfort, strengthen and keep you;
he is willing to aid you,
he will carry you through.

Shun evil companions, bad language disdain,
God's Name hold in reverence, nor take it in vain;
be thoughtful and earnest, kindhearted and true,
look ever to Jesus, he'll carry you through. Refrain

To him that o'ercometh, God giveth a crown;
Through faith we shall conquer, though often cast down;
He Who is our Savior our strength will renew;
Look ever to Jesus, He'll carry you through. Refrain

SECOND READING [Mark 13.14–23]:

Jesus said, 'But when you see the desolating sacrilege set up where it ought not to be (let the reader understand), then those in Judea must flee to the mountains; someone on the housetop must not go down or enter the house to take anything away; someone in the field must not turn back to get a coat. Woe to those who are pregnant and to those who are nursing infants in those days! Pray that it may not be in winter. For in those days there will be suffering, such as has not been from the beginning of the creation that God created until now, no, and never will be. And if the Lord had not cut short those days, no one would be saved; but for the sake of the elect, whom he chose, he has cut short those days. And if anyone says to you at that time, "Look! Here is the Messiah!" or "Look! There he is!"—do not believe it. False messiahs and false prophets will appear and produce signs and omens, to lead astray, if possible, the elect. But be alert; I have already told you everything.'

Faithful God, Lord of all,
we offer our prayers to you
for a world in need.

Lord of the Church, we pray for your people throughout the world,
especially in the Diocese of
Give unity in the Spirit
that we may be one in the witness of saving love
and glorify you with one mind and mouth.
Faithful God,
hear our prayer.

Head of the Body,
give us wisdom to follow your commandments,
to live peacefully and do justly,
and to walk humbly with you.
Faithful God,
hear our prayer.

Creator and ruler of the universe,
give to all who exercise authority
wisdom and virtue to govern justly
and bring peace across the land.
Faithful God,
hear our prayer.

Source of all compassion,
give to all who suffer
the light of your presence and the caring of your people,
to bring calm and comfort.
Faithful God,
hear our prayer.

Giver of good to all,
take from us any evil thought or will
that we may forgive those who offend us or seek our harm
as you have forgiven us.
Faithful God,
hear our prayer.

All-knowing One, you who see us as we are
and know us as we should be:
forgive our sins, set us free from fear,
and give us lives abundant with your guiding presence,
that we may be yours for ever,
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Revive your Church, Lord God of hosts,
whenever it falls into complacency and sloth,
by raising up devoted leaders,
like your servant John Henry Hobart
whom we remember today;
and grant that their faith and vigor of mind
may awaken your people
to your message and their mission;

Keep alive in us the memory of your mercy,
that our angers may be calmed and our resentments dispelled.
May we discover the forgiveness
promised to those who forgive
and become a people rich in mercy. Amen.

The opening prayer from _Book of Common Worship_, (c) 1993 Westminster / John Knox Press.  The closing prayer is in _Opening Prayers: Collects in Contemporary Language_. Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

The intercession is adapted by Stephen Benner from a prayer by Arlene M. Mark, from
_Words for Worship_; used by permission of Herald Press.

After the American Revolution, the Church of England was disestablished and the Episcopal Church was founded. Relatively few clergy and a general resentment against a church associated with the Crown led to a period of decline for Anglicanism in the United States. John Henry Hobart was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 14 September 1775, the son of
a ship's captain. He was educated at the University of Pennsylvania and Princeton
University, ordained deacon in 1798 and priest in 1801. Called as assistant minister to
Trinity Church, New York, in 1803, at age 36 he was elected assistant bishop of the
diocese in 1811, becoming diocesan in 1816.
Hobart was particularly concerned with promoting vocations to the ordained ministry and
founded two institutions: a college in Geneva (later Hobart College) and General
Theological Seminary in New York City.
He not only looked after the Diocese of New York (46,000 square miles and virtual
wilderness west and north of Albany) he served as rector of Trinity Parish, the wealthiest
and most influential church in the country. He also had oversight of the dioceses of
Connecticut and New Jersey.
Hobart died on September 12, 1830 at the age of 55, and is buried under the chancel of
Trinity Church, New York. [Cynthia McFarland, abridged]