OREMUS: 10 September 2011

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Sep 9 17:00:00 GMT 2011

OREMUS for September 10

Blessed are you, God of life,
you nurture and sustain your people.
You bless us with abundance;
you gift us with your graciousness;
you know our every need.
In the birthing forth of creation
you call us into being.
You gift us with healthy and wholeness;
you sustain our every endeavor.
You feed your hungering people.
You call us to work for justice,
to share our table with all creation,
to feed the needy at our door,
to see nobody left in need.
We give you thanks and praise you:

The Lord, the God of gods, has spoken;*
 he has called the earth
   from the rising of the sun to its setting.
Out of Zion, perfect in its beauty,*
 God reveals himself in glory.
Our God will come and will not keep silence;*
 before him there is a consuming flame,
   and round about him a raging storm.
He calls the heavens and the earth from above*
 to witness the judgement of his people.
'Gather before me my loyal followers,*
 those who have made a covenant with me
   and sealed it with sacrifice.'
Let the heavens declare the rightness of his cause;*
 for God himself is judge.
Hear, O my people, and I will speak:
   'O Israel, I will bear witness against you;*
 for I am God, your God.
'I do not accuse you because of your sacrifices;*
 your offerings are always before me.
'I will take no bullcalf from your stalls,*
 nor hegoats out of your pens;
'For the beasts of the forest are mine,*
 the herds in their thousands upon the hills.
'I know every bird in the sky,*
 and the creatures of the fields are in my sight.
'If I were hungry, I would not tell you,*
 for the whole world is mine and all that is in it.
'Do you think I eat the flesh of bulls,*
 or drink the blood of goats?
'Offer to God a sacrifice of thanksgiving*
 and make good your vows to the Most High.
'Call upon me in the day of trouble;*
 I will deliver you and you shall honour me.'
But to the wicked God says:*
 'Why do you recite my statutes,
   and take my covenant upon your lips;
'Since you refuse discipline,*
 and toss my words behind your back?
'When you see a thief, you make him your friend,*
 and you cast in your lot with adulterers.
'You have loosed your lips for evil,*
 and harnessed your tongue to a lie.
'You are always speaking evil of your brother*
 and slandering your own mother's son.
'These things you have done and I kept still,*
 and you thought that I am like you.
'I have made my accusation;*
 I have put my case in order before your eyes.
'Consider this well, you who forget God,*
 lest I rend you and there be none to deliver you.
'Whoever offers me the sacrifice of thanksgiving
   honours me;*
 but to those who keep in my way
   will I show the salvation of God.'

Psalm 51

Have mercy on me, O God,
   according to your lovingkindness;*
 in your great compassion blot out my offences.
Wash me through and through from my wickedness*
 and cleanse me from my sin.
For I know my transgressions,*
 and my sin is ever before me.
Against you only have I sinned*
 and done what is evil in your sight.
And so you are justified when you speak*
 and upright in your judgement.
Indeed, I have been wicked from my birth,*
 a sinner from my mother's womb.
For behold, you look for truth deep within me,*
 and will make me understand wisdom secretly.
Purge me from my sin and I shall be pure;*
 wash me and I shall be clean indeed.
Make me hear of joy and gladness,*
 that the body you have broken may rejoice.
Hide your face from my sins*
 and blot out all my iniquities.
Create in me a clean heart, O God,*
 and renew a right spirit within me.
Cast me not away from your presence*
 and take not your holy Spirit from me.
Give me the joy of your saving help again*
 and sustain me with your bountiful Spirit.
I shall teach your ways to the wicked,*
 and sinners shall return to you.
Deliver me from death, O God,*
 and my tongue shall sing of your righteousness,
   O God of my salvation.
Open my lips, O Lord,*
 and my mouth shall proclaim your praise.
Had you desired it, I would have offered sacrifice,*
 but you take no delight in burntofferings.
The sacrifice of God is a troubled spirit;*
 a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise.
Be favourable and gracious to Zion,*
 and rebuild the walls of Jerusalem.
Then you will be pleased with the appointed sacrifices,
   with burntofferings and oblations;*
 then shall they offer young bullocks upon your altar.

Psalm 52

You tyrant, why do you boast of wickedness*
 against the godly all day long?
You plot ruin; your tongue is like a sharpened razor,*
 O worker of deception.
You love evil more than good*
 and lying more than speaking the truth.
You love all words that hurt,*
 O you deceitful tongue.
The righteous shall see and tremble,*
 and they shall laugh, saying,
'This is the one who did not take God for a refuge,*
 but trusted in great wealth and relied upon wickedness.'
But I am like a green olive tree in the house of God;*
 I trust in the mercy of God for ever and ever.
I will give you thanks for what you have done*
 and declare the goodness of your name
   in the presence of the godly.

FIRST READING [Ecclus 17.1–24]:

The Lord created human beings out of earth,
   and makes them return to it again.
He gave them a fixed number of days,
   but granted them authority over everything on the earth.
He endowed them with strength like his own,
   and made them in his own image.
He put the fear of them in all living beings,
   and gave them dominion over beasts and birds.
Discretion and tongue and eyes,
   ears and a mind for thinking he gave them.
He filled them with knowledge and understanding,
   and showed them good and evil.
He put the fear of him into their hearts
   to show them the majesty of his works.
And they will praise his holy name,
   to proclaim the grandeur of his works.
He bestowed knowledge upon them,
   and allotted to them the law of life.
He established with them an eternal covenant,
   and revealed to them his decrees.
Their eyes saw his glorious majesty,
   and their ears heard the glory of his voice.
He said to them, ‘Beware of all evil.’
   And he gave commandment to each of them concerning a neighbour.
Their ways are always known to him;
   they will not be hid from his eyes.
He appointed a ruler for every nation,
   but Israel is the Lord’s own portion.
All their works are as clear as the sun before him,
   and his eyes are ever upon their ways.
Their iniquities are not hidden from him,
   and all their sins are before the Lord.
One’s almsgiving is like a signet ring with the Lord,
   and he will keep a person’s kindness like the apple of his eye.
Afterwards he will rise up and repay them,
   and he will bring their recompense on their heads.
Yet to those who repent he grants a return,
   and he encourages those who are losing hope.

HYMN
Words: Robert Seymour Bridges (1844-1930) from Joachim Neander (1650-1680)
Tune: Michael

All my hope on God is founded;
all my trust he shall renew;
he, my guide through changing order,
only good and only true:
God unknown,
he alone
calls my heart to be his own.

Human pride and earthly glory,
sword and crown betray his trust;
what with care and toil we fashion,
tower and temple, fall to dust;
but God's power,
hour by hour,
is my temple and my tower.

God's great goodness lasts for ever,
deep his wisdom, passing thought;
splendour, light and life attend him,
beauty springing out of nought;
evermore
from his store
countless stars rise and adore.

Day by day the almighty giver
grants to us his gifts of love;
in his will our souls find pleasure,
leading to our home above:
love shall stand
at his hand,
joy shall wait on his command.

Still from man to God eternal
sacrifice of praise be done;
high above all praises praising
for the gift of Christ his Son:
hear Christ's call,
one and all-
those who follow shall not fall.

SECOND READING [Mark 12.35–end]:

While Jesus was teaching in the temple, he said, 'How can the scribes say that the Messiah is the son of David? David himself, by the Holy Spirit, declared,
"The Lord said to my Lord,
'Sit at my right hand,
   until I put your enemies under your feet.' "
David himself calls him Lord; so how can he be his son?' And the large crowd was listening to him with delight.

As he taught, he said, 'Beware of the scribes, who like to walk around in long robes, and to be greeted with respect in the market-places, and to have the best seats in the synagogues and places of honour at banquets! They devour widows' houses and for the sake of appearance say long prayers. They will receive the greater condemnation.'

He sat down opposite the treasury, and watched the crowd putting money into the treasury. Many rich people put in large sums. A poor widow came and put in two small copper coins, which are worth a penny. Then he called his disciples and said to them, 'Truly I tell you, this poor widow has put in more than all those who are contributing to the treasury. For all of them have contributed out of their abundance; but she out of her poverty has put in everything she had, all she had to live on.'

Beginning and End of all things,
we bless you for the present that is ever yielding
to your new heaven and new earth.

For all the means of grace,
we praise you, O Lord.

For every prompting of your Spirit
we praise you, O Lord.

We yield our cares to your unceasing mercy:
Attend the sick and the suffering,
In your mercy, Lord, hear us.

Touch the dying:
In your mercy, Lord, hear us.

Claim the newborn:
In your mercy, Lord, hear us.

Shelter the homeless:
In your mercy, Lord, hear us.

Sing in the fearful:
In your mercy, Lord, hear us.

Chasten the arrogant and powerful:
In your mercy, Lord, hear us.

Lift up the lowly:
In your mercy, Lord, hear us.

Center the Church:
In your mercy, Lord, hear us.

Grant peace to Jerusalem and every people:
In your mercy, Lord, hear us.

Shape our lives by the mystery
of Christ crucified, risen and interceding for us:
In your mercy, Lord, hear us.

God of the ages, you call the church to keep watch in the world and to discern the signs of the times: Grant us the wisdom which your Spirit bestows, that with courage we may proclaim your prophetic word, and complete the work that you have set before us; through your Son, our Lord Jesus Christ, who lives and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit, one God, forever and ever. Amen.

Enlighten our minds, renew our wills,
and make us willing and able freely to answer
your call to share the gospel
with all you are drawing to Jesus. Amen.

The opening prayer is from www.diarmuid13.com. The closing prayer is from Seeking God's Face by Philip F. Reinders.