OREMUS: 6 September 2011

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Sep 5 17:00:00 GMT 2011

OREMUS for September 6
Allen Gardiner, founder of the South American Missionary Society, 1851

Blessed are you, gracious God,
we offer you our thanks and praise.
You have called us into birth and gifted our youthfulness.
You have protected our growth and blessed our maturity.
You have graced our transitions, amid the changes of life.
And you have called us as a people of faith,
to embrace our world with faith and new vision
under the leadership of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

I will exalt you, O Lord,
   because you have lifted me up*
 and have not let my enemies triumph over me.
O Lord my God, I cried out to you,*
 and you restored me to health.
You brought me up, O Lord, from the dead;*
 you restored my life as I was going down to the grave.
Sing to the Lord, you servants of his;*
 give thanks for the remembrance of his holiness.
For his wrath endures but the twinkling of an eye,*
 his favour for a lifetime.
Weeping may spend the night,*
 but joy comes in the morning.
While I felt secure, I said,
   'I shall never be disturbed.*
 You, Lord, with your favour,
   made me as strong as the mountains.'
Then you hid your face,*
 and I was filled with fear.
I cried to you, O Lord;*
 I pleaded with the Lord, saying,
'What profit is there in my blood,
   if I go down to the Pit?*
 will the dust praise you or declare your faithfulness?
'Hear, O Lord, and have mercy upon me;*
 O Lord, be my helper.'
You have turned my wailing into dancing;*
 you have put off my sackcloth and clothed me with joy;
Therefore my heart sings to you without ceasing;*
 O Lord my God, I will give you thanks for ever.

Psalm 31

In you, O Lord, have I taken refuge;
   let me never be put to shame;*
 deliver me in your righteousness.
Incline your ear to me;*
 make haste to deliver me.
Be my strong rock, a castle to keep me safe,
   for you are my crag and my stronghold;*
 for the sake of your name, lead me and guide me.
Take me out of the net
   that they have secretly set for me,*
 for you are my tower of strength.
Into your hands I commend my spirit,*
 for you have redeemed me,
   O Lord, O God of truth.
I hate those who cling to worthless idols,*
 and I put my trust in the Lord.
I will rejoice and be glad because of your mercy;*
 for you have seen my affliction;
   you know my distress.
You have not shut me up in the power of the enemy;*
 you have set my feet in an open place.
Have mercy on me, O Lord, for I am in trouble;*
 my eye is consumed with sorrow,
   and also my throat and my belly.
For my life is wasted with grief,
   and my years with sighing;*
 my strength fails me because of affliction,
   and my bones are consumed.
I have become a reproach to all my enemies
   and even to my neighbours,
   a dismay to those of my acquaintance;*
 when they see me in the street they avoid me.
I am forgotten like the dead, out of mind;*
 I am as useless as a broken pot.
For I have heard the whispering of the crowd;
   fear is all around;*
 they put their heads together against me;
   they plot to take my life.
But as for me, I have trusted in you, O Lord.*
 I have said, 'You are my God.
'My times are in your hand;*
 rescue me from the hand of my enemies,

   and from those who persecute me.
'Make your face to shine upon your servant,*
 and in your lovingkindness save me.'
Lord, let me not be ashamed
   for having called upon you;*
 rather, let the wicked be put to shame;
   let them be silent in the grave.
Let the lying lips be silenced
   which speak against the righteous,*
 haughtily, disdainfully and with contempt.
How great is your goodness, O Lord,
   which you have laid up for those who fear you;*
 which you have done in the sight of all
   for those who put their trust in you.
You hide them in the covert of your presence
   from those who slander them;*
 you keep them in your shelter from the strife of tongues.
Blessed be the Lord!*
 for he has shown me the wonders of his love
   in a besieged city.
Yet I said in my alarm,
   'I have been cut off from the sight of your eyes.'*
 Nevertheless, you heard the sound of my entreaty
   when I cried out to you.
Love the Lord, all you who worship him;*
 the Lord protects the faithful,
   but repays to the full those who act haughtily.
Be strong and let your heart take courage,*
 all you who wait for the Lord.

FIRST READING [Ecclus 11.7–28]:

Do not find fault before you investigate;
   examine first, and then criticize.
Do not answer before you listen,
   and do not interrupt when another is speaking.
Do not argue about a matter that does not concern you,
   and do not sit with sinners when they judge a case.

My child, do not busy yourself with many matters;
   if you multiply activities, you will not be held blameless.
If you pursue, you will not overtake,
   and by fleeing you will not escape.
There are those who work and struggle and hurry,
   but are so much the more in want.
There are others who are slow and need help,
   who lack strength and abound in poverty;
but the eyes of the Lord look kindly upon them;
   he lifts them out of their lowly condition
and raises up their heads
   to the amazement of many.

Good things and bad, life and death,
   poverty and wealth, come from the Lord.
The Lord’s gift remains with the devout,
   and his favour brings lasting success.
One becomes rich through diligence and self-denial,
   and the reward allotted to him is this:
when he says, ‘I have found rest,
   and now I shall feast on my goods!’
he does not know how long it will be
   until he leaves them to others and dies.

Stand by your agreement and attend to it,
   and grow old in your work.
Do not wonder at the works of a sinner,
   but trust in the Lord and keep at your job;
for it is easy in the sight of the Lord
   to make the poor rich suddenly, in an instant.
The blessing of the Lord is the reward of the pious,
   and quickly God causes his blessing to flourish.
Do not say, ‘What do I need,
   and what further benefit can be mine?’
Do not say, ‘I have enough,
   and what harm can come to me now?’
In the day of prosperity, adversity is forgotten,
   and in the day of adversity, prosperity is not remembered.
For it is easy for the Lord on the day of death
   to reward individuals according to their conduct.
An hour’s misery makes one forget past delights,
   and at the close of one’s life one’s deeds are revealed.
Call no one happy before his death;
   by how he ends, a person becomes known.

HYMN
Words: Charles Wesley (1707-1788)
Tune: Christchurch (Steggall)

See where our great High Priest
Before the Lord appears,
And on his loving breast
The tribes of Israel bears,
Never without his people seen,
The Head of all believing men!

With him the corner-stone
The living stones conjoin;
Christ and his church are one,
One body and one vine;
For us he uses all his powers,
And all he has, or is, is ours.

The promptings of our Head
The members all pursue,
By his good Spirit led
To act, and suffer too
Whate'er he did on earth sustain,
Till glorious all like him we reign.

SECOND READING [Mark 12.1–12]:

Then he began to speak to them in parables. 'A man planted a vineyard, put a fence around it, dug a pit for the wine press, and built a watch-tower; then he leased it to tenants and went to another country. When the season came, he sent a slave to the tenants to collect from them his share of the produce of the vineyard. But they seized him, and beat him, and sent him away empty-handed. And again he sent another slave to them; this one they beat over the head and insulted. Then he sent another, and that one they killed. And so it was with many others; some they beat, and others they killed. He had still one other, a beloved son. Finally he sent him to them, saying, "They will respect my son." But those tenants said to one another, "This is the heir; come, let us kill him, and the inheritance will be ours." So they seized him, killed him, and threw him out of the vineyard. What then will the owner of the vineyard do? He will come and destroy the tenants and give the vineyard to others. Have you not read this scripture:
"The stone that the builders rejected
   has become the cornerstone;
this was the Lord's doing,
   and it is amazing in our eyes"?'

When they realized that he had told this parable against them, they wanted to arrest him, but they feared the crowd. So they left him and went away.

In every time of trouble,
you, O God, are a very present help.
You are with us, sustaining our world in freedom,
restraining the powers of darkness, of death and of destruction;
embracing us all with arms of love, to enfold and to hold.
And so we bring to you our prayers for ourselves,
for those we love, and for our world.

We pray for ourselves and our own needs:
Whatever you would have us to be;
whatever we need to love our neighbor as ourselves,
whatever we need to love one another:
Bountiful Source of Love:
hear our prayer.

We pray for those we love:
Our hopes and dreams for them;
our anguish and anxiety on their behalf;
our desire to make life easier for them.
Bountiful Source of Love:
hear our prayer.

We pray for our world:
Our pain at what we have done to creation;
our wonder at the beauty of that which we have not yet spoiled;
our calling to establish justice and peace.
Bountiful Source of Love:
hear our prayer.

God of the ages,
you call the Church to keep watch in the world
and to discern the signs of the times.
Grant us the wisdom which your Spirit bestows,
that with courage we may proclaim your prophetic word
and complete the work that you have set before us.
We may our prayer through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son,
God for ever and ever. Amen.

Everlasting God,
whose servant Allen Gardiner carried the good news of your Son
to the people of South America,
grant that we who commemorate his service
may know the hope of the gospel in our hearts
and manifest its light in all our ways;

Give us the courage, O God, to pass through shadows
and count the cost of a love beyond measure.  Amen.

The canticle and first collect are from _Common Worship: Daily Prayer, Preliminary

The opening prayer is adapted from a prayer by Diarmuid O'Murchu. The first collect is in _Opening Prayers: Collects in Contemporary Language_. Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999. The closing prayer uses a sentence from Prayers for an Inclusive Church.

The intercession is adapted from a prayer by David Bromell.

Allen Francis Gardiner was born in 1794 and joined the Royal Navy as a young
man. He resigned in 1826 and, on the death of his wife in 1834, dedicated
himself to missionary work. He pioneered a mission to the Zulus in South
Africa for the Church Missionary Society and founded the city of Durban. He
then went to South America to investigate the possibility of evangelism
amongst the indigenous tribes. He travelled extensively and founded the South
American Missionary Society in 1844. With seven other missionaries, he died
of starvation in 1851 on the shores of Tierra del Fuego. [Exciting Holiness]