OREMUS: 28 October 2011

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu Oct 27 17:00:00 GMT 2011

OREMUS for October 28
Saints Simon and Jude, Apostles

for your Son, the eternal Shepherd,
who will never forsake his flock.
We give you thanks for the witness
of the holy apostles and their successors
whom you have called to be shepherds of your Church.

 for his mercy endures for ever.
Give thanks to the God of gods,*
 for his mercy endures for ever.
Give thanks to the Lord of lords,*
 for his mercy endures for ever.
Who only does great wonders,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
Who by his wisdom made the heavens,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
Who spread out the earth upon the waters,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
Who created great lights,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
The sun to rule the day,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
The moon and the stars to govern the night,*
 for his mercy endures for ever.
Who struck down the firstborn of Egypt,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
And brought out Israel from among them,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
With a mighty hand and a stretchedout arm,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
Who divided the Red Sea in two,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
And made Israel to pass through the midst of it,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
But swept Pharaoh and his army into the Red Sea,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
Who led his people through the wilderness,*
 for his mercy endures for ever.
Who struck down great kings,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
And slew mighty kings,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
Sihon, king of the Amorites,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
And Og, the king of Bashan,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
And gave away their lands for an inheritance,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;

An inheritance for Israel his servant,*
 for his mercy endures for ever.
Who remembered us in our low estate,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
And delivered us from our enemies,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
Who gives food to all creatures,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
Give thanks to the God of heaven,*
 for his mercy endures for ever.

Psalm 137

By the waters of Babylon we sat down and wept,*
 when we remembered you, O Zion.
As for our harps, we hung them up*
 on the trees in the midst of that land.
For those who led us away captive asked us for a song,
   and our oppressors called for mirth:*
 'Sing us one of the songs of Zion.'
How shall we sing the Lord's song*
 upon an alien soil?
If I forget you, O Jerusalem,*
 let my right hand forget its skill.
Let my tongue cleave to the roof of my mouth
   if I do not remember you,*
 if I do not set Jerusalem above my highest joy.
Remember the day of Jerusalem, O Lord,
   against the people of Edom,*
 who said, ‘Down with it! down with it!
   even to the ground!’
O Daughter of Babylon, doomed to destruction,*
 happy the one who pays you back
   for what you have done to us!
Happy shall he be who takes your little ones,*
 and dashes them against the rock!

 before the gods I will sing your praise.
I will bow down towards your holy temple
   and praise your name,*
 because of your love and faithfulness;
For you have glorified your name*
 and your word above all things.
When I called, you answered me;*
 you increased my strength within me.
All the kings of the earth will praise you, O Lord,*
 when they have heard the words of your mouth.
They will sing of the ways of the Lord,*
 that great is the glory of the Lord.
Though the Lord be high, he cares for the lowly;*
 he perceives the haughty from afar.
Though I walk in the midst of trouble,
   you keep me safe;*
 you stretch forth your hand
   against the fury of my enemies;
   your right hand shall save me.
The Lord will make good his purpose for me;*
 O Lord, your love endures for ever;
   do not abandon the works of your hands.

FIRST READING [Ezekiel 34.1–16]:

The word of the Lord came to me: Mortal, prophesy against the shepherds of Israel: prophesy, and say to them—to the shepherds: Thus says the Lord God: Ah, you shepherds of Israel who have been feeding yourselves! Should not shepherds feed the sheep? You eat the fat, you clothe yourselves with the wool, you slaughter the fatlings; but you do not feed the sheep. You have not strengthened the weak, you have not healed the sick, you have not bound up the injured, you have not brought back the strayed, you have not sought the lost, but with force and harshness you have ruled them. So they were scattered, because there was no shepherd; and scattered, they became food for all the wild animals. My sheep were scattered, they wandered over all the mountains and on every high hill; my sheep were scattered over all the face of the earth, with no one to search or seek for them.

Therefore, you shepherds, hear the word of the Lord: As I live, says the Lord God, because my sheep have become a prey, and my sheep have become food for all the wild animals, since there was no shepherd; and because my shepherds have not searched for my sheep, but the shepherds have fed themselves, and have not fed my sheep; therefore, you shepherds, hear the word of the Lord: Thus says the Lord God, I am against the shepherds; and I will demand my sheep at their hand, and put a stop to their feeding the sheep; no longer shall the shepherds feed themselves. I will rescue my sheep from their mouths, so that they may not be food for them.

For thus says the Lord God: I myself will search for my sheep, and will seek them out. As shepherds seek out their flocks when they are among their scattered sheep, so I will seek out my sheep. I will rescue them from all the places to which they have been scattered on a day of clouds and thick darkness. I will bring them out from the peoples and gather them from the countries, and will bring them into their own land; and I will feed them on the mountains of Israel, by the watercourses, and in all the inhabited parts of the land. I will feed them with good pasture, and the mountain heights of Israel shall be their pasture; there they shall lie down in good grazing land, and they shall feed on rich pasture on the mountains of Israel. I myself will be the shepherd of my sheep, and I will make them lie down, says the Lord God. I will seek the lost, and I will bring back the strayed, and I will bind up the injured, and I will strengthen the weak, but the fat and the strong I will destroy. I will feed them with justice.

HYMN
Words: John Ellerton, 1875
Tune: Alleluia dulce carmen, Oriel

Thou who sentest thine apostles
two and two before thy face,
partners in the night of toiling,
heirs together of thy grace,
throned at length, their labors ended,
each in his appointed place;

Praise to thee for thy champions
whom our hymns today proclaim:
one, whose zeal by thee enlightened
burned anew with nobler flame;
one, the kinsman of thy childhood,
brought at last to know thy Name.

Praise to thee! thy fire within them
spake in love and wrought in power:
seen in mighty signs and wonders
in thy Church's morning hour;
heard in tones of sternest warning
when the storms began to lower.

God the Father, great and wondrous
in thy works, to thee be praise;
King of saints, to thee be glory,
just and true in all thy ways;
praise to thee, from Both proceeding,
Holy Ghost, through endless days.

SECOND READING [John 15:17-27]:

Jesus said, 'I am giving you these commands so that you may love one another.

'If the world hates you, be aware that it hated me before it hated you. If you belonged to the world, the world would love you as its own. Because you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world—therefore the world hates you. Remember the word that I said to you, “Servants are not greater than their master.” If they persecuted me, they will persecute you; if they kept my word, they will keep yours also. But they will do all these things to you on account of my name, because they do not know him who sent me. If I had not come and spoken to them, they would not have sin; but now they have no excuse for their sin. Whoever hates me hates my Father also. If I had not done among them the works that no one else did, they would not have sin. But now they have seen and hated both me and my Father. It was to fulfil the word that is written in their law, “They hated me without a cause.”

'When the Advocate comes, whom I will send to you from the Father, the Spirit of truth who comes from the Father, he will testify on my behalf. You also are to testify because you have been with me from the beginning.'

Let us pray for the whole people of God in Christ Jesus,
and for all people according to their needs.

Almighty and everlasting God,
we humbly thank you for all the numerous blessings
which you have given us for the benefit of both body and soul.
Though we are worthy of none of your blessings,
you still abundantly provide according to your will.
By your grace, continue to grant all that your people need
for time and eternity.
Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

O Lord,
we praise you especially for preserving your Word and Sacraments
throughout the generations by your apostles and their successors.
Give to all bishops and to all who hear them zeal for the truth,
so that they may always proclaim and promote the Gospel
and bring the good news of salvation to more people in our generation.
Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

Faithful Father, continue to nurture and extend your Church on earth
by guiding our choices of those who study for the priesthood.
Let your Spirit work unhindered in all our seminaries and schools.
To all teachers and other servants of the Church
grant faithfulness to their callings,
and to all our people grant a love of your name
and the desire to serve you their whole life long.
Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

For all the saints who, by your grace, now rest from their labors,
we give you thanks (especially for ____________).
For those saints who are still strangers and pilgrims on earth,
grant protection and power to remain in your Word,
keep the true faith, and live in ways that are fitting for members of your household.

Lord, in your mercy,

you have built your Church on the foundation
of the apostles and prophets
with Jesus Christ himself as the chief cornerstone:
We thank you for the apostles Simon and Jude,
and we pray that we may reveal your love and mercy,
and being joined together in unity of spirit
may grow into a holy temple, acceptable to you;
through our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ;
one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

To Jesus Christ, who loves us
and freed us from our sins by his blood
and made us to be a kingdom,
priests serving his God and Father,
to him be glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is adapted by Stephen Benner from _We Give
You Thanks and Praise: The Ambrosian Eucharistic Prefaces_, translated by Alan
Griffiths, (c) The Canterbury Press Norwich, 1999.

The intercession is based (heavily adapted) from a prayer by the Lutheran
Church--Missouri Synod.

The collect is from _A Prayer Book for Australia_, (c) 1995, The Anglican
Church of Australia Trust Corporation.

Simon and Jude were named among the twelve apostles in the gospels of Matthew, Mark and Luke. Simon is called 'the Zealot', probably because he belonged to a nationalist resistance movement opposing the Roman occupation forces. There is no indication in the gospels whether Simon moved from the Zealot party to be a follower of Christ or, on the other hand, if after the resurrection he became a supporter of that group, seeing it as a response to God's call to proclaim the kingdom.

Luke describes Jude as the son of James, while the Letter of Jude has him as the brother of James, neither of which negates the other. It seems he is the same person as Thaddæus, which may have been a last name. Owing to the similarity of his name to that of Judas Iscariot, Jude was rarely invoked in prayer and it seems likely that because of this, interceding through him was seen as a final resort when all else failed. He became known, therefore, as the patron saint of lost causes.

The two apostles are joined together on this day because a church, which had recently acquired their relics, was dedicated to their memory in Rome in the seventh century. [Exciting Holiness]