OREMUS: 25 October 2011

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Oct 24 17:00:00 GMT 2011

OREMUS for October 25

Blessed are you, true God,
in essence One and Undivided,
who reigns for ever, Trinity sublime!
We give you thanks that in Christ our Savior
you broke the grip of death,
you foiled our ancient foe;
the resurrection of Jesus floods the universe with glory;
the way to paradise is opened wide;
with sounds the whole creation
echoes our song of praise,

Your hands have made me and fashioned me;*
 give me understanding,
   that I may learn your commandments.
Those who fear you will be glad when they see me,*
 because I trust in your word.

I know, O Lord, that your judgements are right*
 and that in faithfulness you have afflicted me.
Let your lovingkindness be my comfort*
 as you have promised to your servant.
Let your compassion come to me, that I may live,*
 for your law is my delight.
Let the arrogant be put to shame,
   for they wrong me with lies;*
 but I will meditate on your commandments.
Let those who fear you turn to me,*
 and also those who know your decrees.
Let my heart be sound in your statutes,*
 that I may not be put to shame.

My soul has longed for your salvation;*
 I have put my hope in your word.
My eyes have failed from watching for your promise,*
 and I say, 'When will you comfort me?'
I have become like a leather flask in the smoke,*
 but I have not forgotten your statutes.
How much longer must I wait?*
 when will you give judgement
   against those who persecute me?
The proud have dug pits for me;*
 they do not keep your law.
All your commandments are true;*
 help me, for they persecute me with lies.
They had almost made an end of me on earth,*
 but I have not forsaken your commandments.
In your lovingkindness, revive me,*
 that I may keep the decrees of your mouth.

O Lord, your word is everlasting;*
 it stands firm in the heavens.
Your faithfulness remains
   from one generation to another;*
 you established the earth and it abides.
By your decree these continue to this day,*
 for all things are your servants.
If my delight had not been in your law,*
 I should have perished in my affliction.
I will never forget your commandments,*
 because by them you give me life.
I am yours; O that you would save me!*
 for I study your commandments.
Though the wicked lie in wait for me to destroy me,*
 I will apply my mind to your decrees.
I see that all things come to an end,*
 but your commandment has no bounds.

O how I love your law!*
 all the day long it is in my mind.
Your commandment has made me wiser
   than my enemies,*
 and it is always with me.
I have more understanding than all my teachers,*
 for your decrees are my study.
I am wiser than the elders,*
 because I observe your commandments.
I restrain my feet from every evil way,*
 that I may keep your word.
I do not shrink from your judgements,*
 because you yourself have taught me.
How sweet are your words to my taste!*
 they are sweeter than honey to my mouth.
Through your commandments I gain understanding;*
 therefore I hate every lying way.

FIRST READING [Job 4:1–21]:

The word of the Lord came to me: Mortal, say to the prince of Tyre, Thus says the Lord God:
Because your heart is proud
   and you have said, 'I am a god;
I sit in the seat of the gods,
   in the heart of the seas',
yet you are but a mortal, and no god,
   though you compare your mind
   with the mind of a god.
You are indeed wiser than Daniel;
   no secret is hidden from you;
by your wisdom and your understanding
   you have amassed wealth for yourself,
and have gathered gold and silver
   into your treasuries.
By your great wisdom in trade
   you have increased your wealth,
   and your heart has become proud in your wealth.
Therefore, thus says the Lord God:
Because you compare your mind
   with the mind of a god,
therefore, I will bring strangers against you,
   the most terrible of the nations;
they shall draw their swords against the beauty of your wisdom
   and defile your splendour.
They shall thrust you down to the Pit,
   and you shall die a violent death
   in the heart of the seas.
Will you still say, 'I am a god',
   in the presence of those who kill you,
though you are but a mortal, and no god,
   in the hands of those who wound you?
You shall die the death of the uncircumcised
   by the hand of foreigners;
   for I have spoken, says the Lord God.

Moreover, the word of the Lord came to me: Mortal, raise a lamentation over the king of Tyre, and say to him, Thus says the Lord God:
You were the signet of perfection,
   full of wisdom and perfect in beauty.
You were in Eden, the garden of God;
   every precious stone was your covering,
carnelian, chrysolite, and moonstone,
   beryl, onyx, and jasper,
sapphire, turquoise, and emerald;
   and worked in gold were your settings
   and your engravings.
On the day that you were created
   they were prepared.
With an anointed cherub as guardian I placed you;
   you were on the holy mountain of God;
   you walked among the stones of fire.
You were blameless in your ways
   from the day that you were created,
   until iniquity was found in you.
In the abundance of your trade
   you were filled with violence, and you sinned;
so I cast you as a profane thing from the mountain of God,
   and the guardian cherub drove you out
   from among the stones of fire.
Your heart was proud because of your beauty;
   you corrupted your wisdom for the sake of your splendour.
I cast you to the ground;
   I exposed you before kings,
   to feast their eyes on you.
By the multitude of your iniquities,
   in the unrighteousness of your trade,
   you profaned your sanctuaries.
So I brought out fire from within you;
   it consumed you,
and I turned you to ashes on the earth
   in the sight of all who saw you.
All who know you among the peoples
   are appalled at you;
you have come to a dreadful end
   and shall be no more for ever.

HYMN
Words: William Henry Burleigh, 1868
Music: Song 22

Lead us, O Father, in the paths of peace;
without thy guiding hand we go astray,
and doubts appall, and sorrows still increase;
lead us through Christ, the true and living Way.

Lead us, O Father, in the paths of truth;
unhelped by thee, in error's maze we grope,
while passion strains, and folly dims our youth,
and age comes on, uncheered by faith and hope.

Lead us, O Father, in the paths of right;
blindly we stumble when we walk alone,
involved in shadows of a darksome night;
only with thee we journey safely on.

Lead us, O Father, to thy heavenly rest,
however rough and steep the pathway be;
through joy or sorrow, as thou deemest best,
until our lives are perfected in thee.

SECOND READING [Matthew 2.1–15]:

n the time of King Herod, after Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judea, wise men from the East came to Jerusalem, asking, 'Where is the child who has been born king of the Jews? For we observed his star at its rising, and have come to pay him homage.' When King Herod heard this, he was frightened, and all Jerusalem with him; and calling together all the chief priests and scribes of the people, he inquired of them where the Messiah was to be born. They told him, 'In Bethlehem of Judea; for so it has been written by the prophet:
"And you, Bethlehem, in the land of Judah,
   are by no means least among the rulers of Judah;
for from you shall come a ruler
   who is to shepherd my people Israel." '

Then Herod secretly called for the wise men and learned from them the exact time when the star had appeared. Then he sent them to Bethlehem, saying, 'Go and search diligently for the child; and when you have found him, bring me word so that I may also go and pay him homage.' When they had heard the king, they set out; and there, ahead of them, went the star that they had seen at its rising, until it stopped over the place where the child was. When they saw that the star had stopped, they were overwhelmed with joy. On entering the house, they saw the child with Mary his mother; and they knelt down and paid him homage. Then, opening their treasure-chests, they offered him gifts of gold, frankincense, and myrrh. And having been warned in a dream not to return to Herod, they left for their own country by another road.
 Now after they had left, an angel of the Lord appeared to Joseph in a dream and said, 'Get up, take the child and his mother, and flee to Egypt, and remain there until I tell you; for Herod is about to search for the child, to destroy him.' Then Joseph got up, took the child and his mother by night, and went to Egypt, and remained there until the death of Herod. This was to fulfil what had been spoken by the Lord through the prophet, 'Out of Egypt I have called my son.'

Make your ways known upon earth, Lord God,
your saving power among all peoples.

Renew your Church in holiness,
and help us to serve you with joy.

Guide the leaders of this and every nation,
that justice may prevail throughout the world.

Let not the needy be forgotten,
nor the hope of the poor be taken away.

Make us instruments of your peace
and let your glory be over all the earth.

O gracious and holy God,
give us diligence to seek you,
wisdom to perceive you,
and patience to wait for you.
Grant us, O God,
a mind to meditate on you,
eyes to behold you,
ears to listen for your Word,
a heart to love you,
and a life to proclaim you,
through the power of the Spirit
of Jesus Christ, our Lord. Amen.

May the God whose likeness we bear
focus our hearts and wills on the Gospel,
that we may render worthy worship and loving service
in Jesus' Name. Amen.

The opening and closing prayers are based on prayers by Alan Griffiths. The intercession is from _New Patterns for Worship_, copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council, 2002. The collect is attributed to Saint Benedict.