OREMUS: 24 October 2011

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Oct 23 17:00:00 GMT 2011

Visit our website at http://www.oremus.org for more resources*******************************************************

OREMUS for October 24

Hidden God, we worship you.
By ourselves, we could not know you;
no human wisdom can discover you,
no argument lead to you,
no enterprise reveal you;
in the wealth of its knowledge
the world fails to find you.
But you came to search for us
in the frailty of a human life;
you trusted yourself to the fragile faith
of wavering disciples.
We praise you that in our very weakness
we can know you;
that stumbling blocks become stepping stones,
and the foolishness of the cross
the very truth that quickens us to life.

Happy are they whose way is blameless,*
 who walk in the law of the Lord!
Happy are they who observe his decrees*
 and seek him with all their hearts!
Who never do any wrong,*
 but always walk in his ways.
You laid down your commandments,*
 that we should fully keep them.
O that my ways were made so direct*
 that I might keep your statutes!
Then I should not be put to shame,*
 when I regard all your commandments.
I will thank you with an unfeigned heart,*
 when I have learned your righteous judgements.
I will keep your statutes;*
 do not utterly forsake me.
How shall the young cleanse their way?*
 By keeping to your words.
With my whole heart I seek you;*
 let me not stray from your commandments.
I treasure your promise in my heart,*
 that I may not sin against you.
Blessed are you, O Lord;*
 instruct me in your statutes.
With my lips will I recite*
 all the judgements of your mouth.
I have taken greater delight in the way of your decrees*
 than in all manner of riches.
I will meditate on your commandments*
 and give attention to your ways.
My delight is in your statutes;*
 I will not forget your word.
Deal bountifully with your servant,*
 that I may live and keep your word.
Open my eyes, that I may see*
 the wonders of your law.
I am a stranger here on earth;*
 do not hide your commandments from me.
My soul is consumed at all times*
 with longing for your judgements.
You have rebuked the insolent;*
 cursed are they who stray from your commandments!
Turn from me shame and rebuke,*
 for I have kept your decrees.
Even though rulers sit and plot against me,*
 I will meditate on your statutes.
For your decrees are my delight,*
 and they are my counsellors.

My soul cleaves to the dust;*
 give me life according to your word.
I have confessed my ways and you answered me;*
 instruct me in your statutes.
Make me understand the way of your commandments,*
 that I may meditate on your marvellous works.
My soul melts away for sorrow;*
 strengthen me according to your word.
Take from me the way of lying;*
 let me find grace through your law.
I have chosen the way of faithfulness;*
 I have set your judgements before me.
I hold fast to your decrees;*
 O Lord, let me not be put to shame.
I will run the way of your commandments,*
 for you have set my heart at liberty.

FIRST READING [Ezekiel 24.15–end]:

The word of the Lord came to me: Mortal, with one blow I am about to take away from you the delight of your eyes; yet you shall not mourn or weep, nor shall your tears run down. Sigh, but not aloud; make no mourning for the dead. Bind on your turban, and put your sandals on your feet; do not cover your upper lip or eat the bread of mourners. So I spoke to the people in the morning, and at evening my wife died. And on the next morning I did as I was commanded.

Then the people said to me, 'Will you not tell us what these things mean for us, that you are acting in this way?' Then I said to them: The word of the Lord came to me: Say to the house of Israel, Thus says the Lord God: I will profane my sanctuary, the pride of your power, the delight of your eyes, and your heart's desire; and your sons and your daughters whom you left behind shall fall by the sword. And you shall do as I have done; you shall not cover your upper lip or eat the bread of mourners. Your turbans shall be on your heads and your sandals on your feet; you shall not mourn or weep, but you shall pine away in your iniquities and groan to one another. Thus Ezekiel shall be a sign to you; you shall do just as he has done. When this comes, then you shall know that I am the Lord God.

And you, mortal, on the day when I take from them their stronghold, their joy and glory, the delight of their eyes and their heart's affection, and also their sons and their daughters, on that day, one who has escaped will come to you to report to you the news. On that day your mouth shall be opened to the one who has escaped, and you shall speak and no longer be silent. So you shall be a sign to them; and they shall know that I am the Lord.

HYMN
Words: Isaac Watts (1674-1748), 1707,
as altered by John Wesley (1703-1791), 1737.

Tune: Old Hundredth (Genevan Psalter, 1551)

Before Jehovah's awful throne,
ye nations, bow with sacred joy;
know that the Lord is God alone;
he can create, and he destroy.

His sovereign power, without our aid,
made us of clay, and formed us men;
and when like wandering sheep we strayed,
he brought us to his fold again.

We'll crowd thy gates with thankful songs,
high as the heavens our voices raise;
and earth, with her ten thousand tongues,
shall fill thy courts with sounding praise.

Wide as the world is thy command,
vast as eternity thy love;
firm as a rock thy truth must stand,
when rolling years shall cease to move.

SECOND READING [John 20.19–end]:

When it was evening on that day, the first day of the week, and the doors of the house where the disciples had met were locked for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood among them and said, 'Peace be with you.' After he said this, he showed them his hands and his side. Then the disciples rejoiced when they saw the Lord. Jesus said to them again, 'Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, so I send you.' When he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, 'Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained.'

But Thomas (who was called the Twin), one of the twelve, was not with them when Jesus came. So the other disciples told him, 'We have seen the Lord.' But he said to them, 'Unless I see the mark of the nails in his hands, and put my finger in the mark of the nails and my hand in his side, I will not believe.'

A week later his disciples were again in the house, and Thomas was with them. Although the doors were shut, Jesus came and stood among them and said, 'Peace be with you.' Then he said to Thomas, 'Put your finger here and see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it in my side. Do not doubt but believe.' Thomas answered him, 'My Lord and my God!' Jesus said to him, 'Have you believed because you have seen me? Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have come to believe.'

Now Jesus did many other signs in the presence of his disciples, which are not written in this book. But these are written so that you may come to believe that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, and that through believing you may have life in his name.

Blessed are you, eternal God,
to be praised and glorified for ever.

Hear us as we pray for your holy catholic Church,
make us all one, that the world may believe.

Grant that every member of the Church may truly and humbly serve you:
that the life of Christ may be revealed in us.

Strengthen all who minister in Christ's name:
give them courage to proclaim your Gospel.

Inspire and lead those who hold authority in the nations of the world:
guide them in the ways of justice and peace.

Make us alive to the needs of our community:
help us to share each other's joys and burdens.

Look with kindness on our homes and families:
grant that your love may grow in our hearts.

Deepen our compassion for all who suffer from sickness, grief or trouble:
in your presence may they find their strength.

We remember those who have died:
Father, into your hands we commend them.

We praise you for all your saints who have entered your eternal glory:
bring us all to share in your heavenly kingdom.

Jesus, who meets us in the guise of stranger,
whose face is glimpsed in breaking open hospitality,
create among us
countless meeting places:
in setting of table,
in opening of doors
in sharing of food
in offering greetings
that we meet you
in every stranger,
and in this sharing of Gospel,
discover our own place in the family of God. Amen.

Pour out your Spirit, O God, over all the world,
to inspire every heart with knowledge and love of you. Amen.

The opening prayer is from Book of Common Order, (c) 1994, Panel on Worship of the Church of Scotland. The closing prayer use phrases from a prayer in _Opening Prayers: Collects in Contemporary Language_ (c) Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

The intercession is from _New Patterns for Worship_, copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council, 2002. The collect is from the Pray Now website:
http://www.churchofscotland.org.uk/worship/wpprayer24.htm