OREMUS: 22 October 2011

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Oct 21 17:00:00 GMT 2011

OREMUS for October 22

Blessed are you, O Lord God Almighty,
and great and wonderful are your deeds.
Just and true are your ways,
O King of the nations.
For you alone are holy,
and all nations will come and worship you:

My heart is firmly fixed, O God, my heart is fixed;*
 I will sing and make melody.
 I myself will waken the dawn.
I will confess you among the peoples, O Lord;*
 I will sing praises to you among the nations.
For your lovingkindness is greater than the heavens,*
 and your glory over all the earth.
So that those who are dear to you may be delivered,*
 save with your right hand and answer me.

Psalm 109:1-4, 20-30

Hold not your tongue, O God of my praise;*
 for the mouth of the wicked,
   the mouth of the deceitful, is opened against me.
They speak to me with a lying tongue;*
 they encompass me with hateful words
   and fight against me without a cause.
Despite my love, they accuse me;*
 but as for me, I pray for them.
They repay evil for good,*
 and hatred for my love.
But you, O Lord my God,
   O deal with me according to your name;*
 for your tender mercy's sake, deliver me.
For I am poor and needy,*
 and my heart is wounded within me.
I have faded away like a shadow when it lengthens;*
 I am shaken off like a locust.
My knees are weak through fasting,*
 and my flesh is wasted and gaunt.
I have become a reproach to them;*
 they see and shake their heads.
Help me, O Lord my God;*
 save me for your mercy's sake.
Let them know that this is your hand,*
 that you, O Lord, have done it.
They may curse, but you will bless;*
 let those who rise up against me be put to shame,
   and your servant will rejoice.
Let my accusers be clothed with disgrace*
 and wrap themselves in their shame as in a cloak.
I will give great thanks to the Lord with my mouth;*
 in the midst of the multitude will I praise him;
Because he stands at the right hand of the needy,*
 to save his life from those who would condemn him.

FIRST READING [Ezekiel 20.1–20]:

In the seventh year, in the fifth month, on the tenth day of the month, certain elders of Israel came to consult the Lord, and sat down before me. And the word of the Lord came to me: Mortal, speak to the elders of Israel, and say to them: Thus says the Lord God: Why are you coming? To consult me? As I live, says the Lord God, I will not be consulted by you. Will you judge them, mortal, will you judge them? Then let them know the abominations of their ancestors, and say to them: Thus says the Lord God: On the day when I chose Israel, I swore to the offspring of the house of Jacob—making myself known to them in the land of Egypt—I swore to them, saying, I am the Lord your God. On that day I swore to them that I would bring them out of the land of Egypt into a land that I had searched out for them, a land flowing with milk and honey, the most glorious of all lands. And I said to them, Cast away the detestable things your eyes feast on, every one of you, and do not defile yourselves with the idols of Egypt; I am the Lord your God. But they rebelled against me and would not listen to me; not one of them cast away the detestable things their eyes feasted on, nor did they forsake the idols of Egypt.

Then I thought I would pour out my wrath upon them and spend my anger against them in the midst of the land of Egypt. But I acted for the sake of my name, that it should not be profaned in the sight of the nations among whom they lived, in whose sight I made myself known to them in bringing them out of the land of Egypt. So I led them out of the land of Egypt and brought them into the wilderness. I gave them my statutes and showed them my ordinances, by whose observance everyone shall live. Moreover, I gave them my sabbaths, as a sign between me and them, so that they might know that I the Lord sanctify them. But the house of Israel rebelled against me in the wilderness; they did not observe my statutes but rejected my ordinances, by whose observance everyone shall live; and my sabbaths they greatly profaned.
Then I thought I would pour out my wrath upon them in the wilderness, to make an end of them. But I acted for the sake of my name, so that it should not be profaned in the sight of the nations, in whose sight I had brought them out. Moreover, I swore to them in the wilderness that I would not bring them into the land that I had given them, a land flowing with milk and honey, the most glorious of all lands, because they rejected my ordinances and did not observe my statutes, and profaned my sabbaths; for their heart went after their idols. Nevertheless, my eye spared them, and I did not destroy them or make an end of them in the wilderness.

I said to their children in the wilderness, Do not follow the statutes of your parents, nor observe their ordinances, nor defile yourselves with their idols. I the Lord am your God; follow my statutes, and be careful to observe my ordinances, and hallow my sabbaths that they may be a sign between me and you, so that you may know that I the Lord am your God.

HYMN
Words: Paulus Gerhardt (1607-1676) Robert Bridges (1844-1930)
Tune: Innsbruck

The duteous day now closeth,
Each flower and tree reposeth,
Shade creeps o'er wild and wood:
Let us, as night is falling,
On God our maker calling
Give thanks to him, the giver good.

Now all the heavenly splendour
Breaks forth in starlight tender
>From myriad worlds unknown;
And man, the marvel seeing,
Forgets his selfish being,
For joy of beauty not his own.

His care he drowneth yonder,
Lost in the abyss of wonder;
To heaven his soul doth steal:
This life he disesteemeth,
The day it is that dreameth,
That does from truth his vision seal

Awhile his mortal blindness
May miss God's loving-kindness,
And grope in faithless strife:
But when life's day is over
Shall death's fair night discover
The fields of everlasting life.

SECOND READING [John 20.1–10]:

Early on the first day of the week, while it was still dark, Mary Magdalene came to the tomb and saw that the stone had been removed from the tomb. So she ran and went to Simon Peter and the other disciple, the one whom Jesus loved, and said to them, 'They have taken the Lord out of the tomb, and we do not know where they have laid him.' Then Peter and the other disciple set out and went towards the tomb. The two were running together, but the other disciple outran Peter and reached the tomb first. He bent down to look in and saw the linen wrappings lying there, but he did not go in. Then Simon Peter came, following him, and went into the tomb. He saw the linen wrappings lying there, and the cloth that had been on Jesus' head, not lying with the linen wrappings but rolled up in a place by itself. Then the other disciple, who reached the tomb first, also went in, and he saw and believed; for as yet they did not understand the scripture, that he must rise from the dead. Then the disciples returned to their homes.

We pray for the family of the church, for loving relationships,
and for the life of families around us, saying
Jesus, Lord of love:
in your mercy, hear us.

Jesus, born in poverty and soon a refugee,
be with families today who are poor
and live in hunger and want. . .
Jesus, Lord of love:
in your mercy, hear us.

Jesus, who grew in wisdom and in favor with God and the people
in the family of Joseph the carpenter,
bring wisdom and the presence of God
into the work and growth of families today. . .
Jesus, Lord of love:
in your mercy, hear us.

Jesus, who blessed marriage in the wedding at Cana,
be with those preparing for marriage
and with those who come to the end of their resources. . .
Jesus, Lord of love:
in your mercy, hear us.

Jesus, who healed Peter's mother in law,
bring healing to hurt relationships and families today. . .
Jesus, Lord of love:
in your mercy, hear us.

Jesus, who on the cross said,
'Mother, behold your son',
provide today for those who lose their families,
the bereaved and childless, orphans and widows. . .
Jesus, Lord of love:
in your mercy, hear us.

Jesus, who on the seashore provided food for the disciples,
bring the whole Church on earth and in heaven
 into your risen presence to eat at the eternal banquet.
Jesus, Lord of love:
in your mercy, hear us.

Sovereign God,
raise your throne in our hearts.
Created by you, let us live in your image;
created for you, let us act for your glory;
redeemed by you, let us give you what is yours,
through Jesus Christ, our Savior and Lord. Amen.

Shape us into willing servants of your kingdom,
and make us desire always and only your will. Amen.

The collect and closing prayer are from _Evangelical Lutheran Worship_, (c) 2006 Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.

The opening prayer is based on Revelation 15:3-4