OREMUS: 21 October 2011

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu Oct 20 22:29:30 GMT 2011

OREMUS for October 21

Blessed are you, gracious God,
for Jesus Christ, your First-Begotten,
born of Mary, who by his own free will
accepted death and rose again
to save and raise the lost.
By dying, he has trampled death.
Death's might is now undone,
its sting is crushed;
with all creation's powers let us praise
the risen Lord who saves our souls
and who will come again to judge the world
which his creating hand has formed and made.

 for his mercy endures for ever.
Who can declare the mighty acts of the Lord*
 or show forth all his praise?
Happy are those who act with justice*
 and always do what is right!
Remember me, O Lord,
   with the favour you have for your people,*
 and visit me with your saving help;
That I may see the prosperity of your elect
   and be glad with the gladness of your people,*
 that I may glory with your inheritance.
We have sinned as our forebears did;*
 we have done wrong and dealt wickedly.

In Egypt they did not consider your marvellous works,
   nor remember the abundance of your love;*
 they defied the Most High at the Red Sea.
But he saved them for his name's sake,*
 to make his power known.
He rebuked the Red Sea and it dried up,*
 and he led them through the deep as through a desert.
He saved them from the hand of those who hated them*
 and redeemed them from the hand of the enemy.
The waters covered their oppressors;*
 not one of them was left.
Then they believed his words*
 and sang him songs of praise.
But they soon forgot his deeds*
 and did not wait for his counsel.
A craving seized them in the wilderness,*
 and they put God to the test in the desert.
He gave them what they asked,*
 but sent leanness into their soul.
They envied Moses in the camp,*
 and Aaron, the holy one of the Lord.
The earth opened and swallowed Dathan*
 and covered the company of Abiram.
Fire blazed up against their company,*
 and flames devoured the wicked.
Israel made a bullcalf at Horeb*
 and worshipped a molten image;
And so they exchanged their Glory*
 for the image of an ox that feeds on grass.
They forgot God their saviour,*
 who had done great things in Egypt,
Wonderful deeds in the land of Ham,*
 and fearful things at the Red Sea.
So he would have destroyed them,
   had not Moses his chosen
   stood before him in the breach,*
 to turn away his wrath from consuming them.

Our forebears refused the pleasant land*
 and would not believe God's promise.
They grumbled in their tents*
 and would not listen to the voice of the Lord.
So he lifted his hand against them,*
 to overthrow them in the wilderness,
To cast out their seed among the nations,*
 and to scatter them throughout the lands.
They joined themselves to BaalPeor*
 and ate sacrifices offered to the dead.
They provoked him to anger with their actions,*
 and a plague broke out among them.
Then Phinehas stood up and interceded,*
 and the plague came to an end.
This was reckoned to him as righteousness*
 throughout all generations for ever.
Again they provoked his anger at the waters of Meribah,*
 so that he punished Moses because of them;
For they so embittered his spirit*
 that he spoke rash words with his lips.
They did not destroy the peoples*
 as the Lord had commanded them.
They intermingled with the heathen*
 and learned their pagan ways,
So that they worshipped their idols,*
 which became a snare to them.! v37 >
They sacrificed their sons*
 and their daughters to evil spirits.
They shed innocent blood,
   the blood of their sons and daughters,*
 which they offered to the idols of Canaan,
   and the land was defiled with blood.
Thus they were polluted by their actions*
 and went whoring in their evil deeds;
Therefore the wrath of the Lord
   was kindled against his people*
 and he abhorred his inheritance.
He gave them over to the hand of the heathen,*
 and those who hated them ruled over them.
Their enemies oppressed them,*
 and they were humbled under their hand.
Many a time did he deliver them,
   but they rebelled through their own devices,*
 and were brought down in their iniquity.
Nevertheless, he saw their distress,*
 when he heard their lamentation.
He remembered his covenant with them*
 and relented in accordance with his great mercy.
He caused them to be pitied*
 by those who held them captive.
Save us, O Lord our God,
   and gather us from among the nations,*
 that we may give thanks to your holy name
   and glory in your praise.
Blessed be the Lord, the God of Israel,
   from everlasting and to everlasting;*
 and let all the people say, 'Amen!'
   Alleluia!

FIRST READING [Ezekiel 18.21–32]:

But if the wicked turn away from all their sins that they have committed and keep all my statutes and do what is lawful and right, they shall surely live; they shall not die. None of the transgressions that they have committed shall be remembered against them; for the righteousness that they have done they shall live. Have I any pleasure in the death of the wicked, says the Lord God, and not rather that they should turn from their ways and live? But when the righteous turn away from their righteousness and commit iniquity and do the same abominable things that the wicked do, shall they live? None of the righteous deeds that they have done shall be remembered; for the treachery of which they are guilty and the sin they have committed, they shall die.

Yet you say, 'The way of the Lord is unfair.' Hear now, O house of Israel: Is my way unfair? Is it not your ways that are unfair? When the righteous turn away from their righteousness and commit iniquity, they shall die for it; for the iniquity that they have committed they shall die. Again, when the wicked turn away from the wickedness they have committed and do what is lawful and right, they shall save their life. Because they considered and turned away from all the transgressions that they had committed, they shall surely live; they shall not die. Yet the house of Israel says, 'The way of the Lord is unfair.' O house of Israel, are my ways unfair? Is it not your ways that are unfair?

Therefore I will judge you, O house of Israel, all of you according to your ways, says the Lord God. Repent and turn from all your transgressions; otherwise iniquity will be your ruin. Cast away from you all the transgressions that you have committed against me, and get yourselves a new heart and a new spirit! Why will you die, O house of Israel? For I have no pleasure in the death of anyone, says the Lord God. Turn, then, and live.

HYMN
Words: William Boyd Carpenter (1841-1918)

Music: St. Petersburg

Before thy throne, O God, we kneel:
give us a conscience quick to feel,
a ready mind to understand
the meaning of thy chastening hand;
whate'er the pain and shame may be,
bring us, O Father, nearer thee.

Search out our hearts and make us true;
help us to give to all their due.
>From love of pleasure, lust of gold,
from sins which make the heart grow cold,
wean us and train us with thy rod;
teach us to know our faults, O God.

For sins of heedless word and deed,
for pride ambitions to succeed,
for crafty trade and subtle snare
to catch the simple unaware,
for lives bereft of purpose high,
forgive, forgive, O Lord, we cry.

Let the fierce fires which burn and try,
our inmost spirits purify:
consume the ill; purge out the shame;
O God, be with us in the flame;
a newborn people may we rise,
more pure, more true, more nobly wise.

SECOND READING [John 19.31–end]:

Since it was the day of Preparation, the Jews did not want the bodies left on the cross during the sabbath, especially because that sabbath was a day of great solemnity. So they asked Pilate to have the legs of the crucified men broken and the bodies removed. Then the soldiers came and broke the legs of the first and of the other who had been crucified with him. But when they came to Jesus and saw that he was already dead, they did not break his legs. Instead, one of the soldiers pierced his side with a spear, and at once blood and water came out. (He who saw this has testified so that you also may believe. His testimony is true, and he knows that he tells the truth.) These things occurred so that the scripture might be fulfilled, 'None of his bones shall be broken.' And again another passage of scripture says, 'They will look on the one whom they have pierced.'

After these things, Joseph of Arimathea, who was a disciple of Jesus, though a secret one because of his fear of the Jews, asked Pilate to let him take away the body of Jesus. Pilate gave him permission; so he came and removed his body. Nicodemus, who had at first come to Jesus by night, also came, bringing a mixture of myrrh and aloes, weighing about a hundred pounds. They took the body of Jesus and wrapped it with the spices in linen cloths, according to the burial custom of the Jews. Now there was a garden in the place where he was crucified, and in the garden there was a new tomb in which no one had ever been laid. And so, because it was the Jewish day of Preparation, and the tomb was nearby, they laid Jesus there.

Let us pray for our own needs and for the needs of others,
following the pattern which Jesus gave
when he taught us to pray to God our Father.

Through our love of the countryside,
through our care for animals,
through our respect for property and tools,
Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name.

On our farms and in our homes,
in our colleges and schools,
where machinery is made, and where policy is planned,
Father, your kingdom come.

By our seeking your guidance,
by our keeping your commandments,
by our living true to our consciences,
Father, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.

For the millions who live in poverty and hunger,
for our own needs, and the requirements of our neighbours,
by co-operation, sympathy, and generosity,
Give us today our daily bread.

Because we have broken your commandments,
doing what we ought not to do,
and neglecting what we ought to do,
Forgive us our sins.

If any have injured us by injustice, double dealing or exploitation,
We forgive those who sin against us.

When prosperity lulls us to false security,
or adversity prompts us to despair,
when success makes us boastful,
or failure makes us bitter,
Save us from the time of trial, and deliver us from evil.

In the assurance of faith,
in the confidence of hope,
in the will to serve,
help us to love Christ as Lord,
and our neighbour as ourselves.
For the kingdom, the power,
and the glory are yours now and for ever. Amen.

May the God whose likeness we bear
focus our hearts and wills on the Gospel,
that we may render worthy worship and loving service
in Jesus' Name. Amen.

http://www.scottishepiscopal.com

The opening and closing prayers are adapted from prayers by Alan Griffiths.