OREMUS: 18 October 2011

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Oct 17 21:52:59 GMT 2011

OREMUS for October 18
Saint Luke the Evangelist

for making the mystery of Christ your Son
known to us through the scriptures,
the work of those enlightened by your Holy Spirit.
Through these writings which have become
a fertile seed for all generations
the words and acts of the Savior
bear rich fruit to your praise and glory.

The Lord is king; he has put on splendid apparel;*
 the Lord has put on his apparel
   and girded himself with strength.
He has made the whole world so sure*
 that it cannot be moved;
Ever since the world began,
   your throne has been established;*
 you are from everlasting.
The waters have lifted up, O Lord,
   the waters have lifted up their voice;*
 the waters have lifted up their pounding waves.
Mightier than the sound of many waters,
   mightier than the breakers of the sea,*
 mightier is the Lord who dwells on high.
Your testimonies are very sure,*
 and holiness adorns your house, O Lord,
   for ever and for evermore.

Psalm 94

O Lord God of vengeance,*
 O God of vengeance, show yourself.
Rise up, O Judge of the world;*
 give the arrogant their just deserts.
How long shall the wicked, O Lord,*
 how long shall the wicked triumph?
They bluster in their insolence;*
 all evildoers are full of boasting.
They crush your people, O Lord,*
 and afflict your chosen nation.
They murder the widow and the stranger*
 and put the orphans to death.
Yet they say, 'The Lord does not see,*
 the God of Jacob takes no notice.'
Consider well, you dullards among the people;*
 when will you fools understand?
He that planted the ear, does he not hear?*
 he that formed the eye, does he not see?
He who admonishes the nations, will he not punish?*
 he who teaches all the world, has he no knowledge?
The Lord knows our human thoughts;*
 how like a puff of wind they are.
Happy are they whom you instruct, O Lord!*
 whom you teach out of your law;
To give them rest in evil days,*
 until a pit is dug for the wicked.
For the Lord will not abandon his people,*
 nor will he forsake his own.
For judgement will again be just,*
 and all the true of heart will follow it.
Who rose up for me against the wicked?*
 who took my part against the evildoers?
If the Lord had not come to my help,*
 I should soon have dwelt in the land of silence.
As often as I said, 'My foot has slipped',*
 your love, O Lord, upheld me.
When many cares fill my mind,*
 your consolations cheer my soul.
Can a corrupt tribunal have any part with you,*
 one which frames evil into law?
They conspire against the life of the just*
 and condemn the innocent to death.
But the Lord has become my stronghold,*
 and my God the rock of my trust.
He will turn their wickedness back upon them
   and destroy them in their own malice;*
 the Lord our God will destroy them.

FIRST READING [Ezekiel 14.1–11]:

Certain elders of Israel came to me and sat down before me. And the word of the Lord came to me: Mortal, these men have taken their idols into their hearts, and placed their iniquity as a stumbling-block before them; shall I let myself be consulted by them? Therefore speak to them, and say to them, Thus says the Lord God: Any of those of the house of Israel who take their idols into their hearts and place their iniquity as a stumbling-block before them, and yet come to the prophet—I the Lord will answer those who come with the multitude of their idols, in order that I may take hold of the hearts of the house of Israel, all of whom are estranged from me through their idols.

Therefore say to the house of Israel, Thus says the Lord God: Repent and turn away from your idols; and turn away your faces from all your abominations. For any of those of the house of Israel, or of the aliens who reside in Israel, who separate themselves from me, taking their idols into their hearts and placing their iniquity as a stumbling-block before them, and yet come to a prophet to inquire of me by him, I the Lord will answer them myself. I will set my face against them; I will make them a sign and a byword and cut them off from the midst of my people; and you shall know that I am the Lord.

If a prophet is deceived and speaks a word, I, the Lord, have deceived that prophet, and I will stretch out my hand against him, and will destroy him from the midst of my people Israel. And they shall bear their punishment—the punishment of the inquirer and the punishment of the prophet shall be the same— so that the house of Israel may no longer go astray from me, nor defile themselves any more with all their transgressions. Then they shall be my people, and I will be their God, says the Lord God.

HYMN
Words: Hardwicke Drummond Rawnsley, 1906
Tune: Jesus ist das schoenste Licht

Savior, who didst healing give,
still in power go before us;
thou through death didst men live,
unto fuller life restore us;
strength from thee the fainting found,
deaf men heard, the blind went seeing;
at thy touch was banished sickness,
and the leper felt new being.

Thou didst work thy deeds of old
through the loving hands of others;
still thy mercies manifold
bless men by the hands of brothers;
angels still before thy face
go, sweet health to brothers bringing;
still, hearts glow to tell his praises
with whose name the Church is ringing.

Loved physician! for his word
lo, the Gospel page burns brighter,
mission servant of the Lord,
painter true and perfect writer;
Savior of thy bounty send
such as Luke of Gospel story,
friends to all in body's prison
till the sufferers see thy glory.

SECOND READING [Acts 16:6-12a]:

Paul and his companions went through the region of Phrygia and Galatia, having been forbidden by the Holy Spirit to speak the word in Asia. When they had come opposite Mysia, they attempted to go into Bithynia, but the Spirit of Jesus did not allow them; so, passing by Mysia, they went down to Troas. During the night Paul had a vision: there stood a man of Macedonia pleading with him and saying, 'Come over to Macedonia and help us.' When he had seen the vision, we immediately tried to cross over to Macedonia, being convinced that God had called us to proclaim the good news to them.

We set sail from Troas and took a straight course to Samothrace, the following day to Neapolis, and from there to Philippi, which is a leading city of the district of Macedonia and a Roman colony. We remained in this city for some days.

God the Father, your will for all people is health and salvation;
We praise you and bless you, Lord.

God the Son, you came that we might have life, and might
have it more abundantly;
We praise you and bless you, Lord.

God the Holy Spirit, you make our bodies the temple of your
presence;
-We praise you and bless you, Lord.

Holy Trinity, one God, in you we live and move and have our
being;
We praise you and bless you, Lord.

Lord, grant your healing grace to all who are sick, injured,
or disabled, that they may be made whole;
Hear us, Lord of life.

Grant to all who seek your guidance, and to all who are
lonely, anxious or despondent, a knowledge of your will and
an awareness of your presence;
Hear us, Lord of life.

Mend broken relationships, and restore those in emotional
distress to soundness of mind and serenity of spirit;
Hear us, Lord of life.

Bless physicians, nurses, and all others who minister to the
suffering granting them wisdom and skill, sympathy and
patience;
Hear us, Lord of life.

Grant to the dying peace and a holy death, and uphold by the
grace and consolation of your Holy Spirit those who are
bereaved;
Hear us, Lord of life.

Restore to wholeness whatever is broken by sin, in our
lives, in our nation, and in the world;
Hear us, Lord of life.

You are the Lord, who does wonders
You have declared your power among the peoples.

With you, Lord, is the well of life
And in your light we see light.

Hear us, Lord of life
Heal us, and make us whole.

Almighty God,
you called Luke the physician,
whose praise is in the gospel,
to be an evangelist and physician of the soul
by the grace of the Spirit
and through the wholesome medicine of the gospel,
give your Church the same love and power to heal;
through Jesus Christ your Son our Lord,
who is alive and reigns with you

May we be mindful of God's call to holiness
and be clothed in the practice of good works,
that we may come to God's banquet prepared
to feast with the whole world.Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving uses phrases from a prayer in
_Opening Prayers: Collects in Contemporary Language_.
Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

The intercession and the collect are from _Common Worship: Services
and Prayers for the Church of England_, material from which is included
in this service is copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council, 2000.

Luke was a dear friend of the apostle Paul, and is mentioned by him three times in his Letters. Paul describes him as 'the belovèd physician' and, in his second Letter to Timothy, as his only companion in prison. He is believed to be the author of two books of the New Testament, firstly the gospel which stands in his name and also the Acts of the Apostles. Luke's narrative of the life of Christ has a pictorial quality and shows the sequential pattern from the nativity through to the death and resurrection. The developed sense of theology that comes over in Paul's writings is virtually unknown in those of Luke but, as a Gentile, Luke makes clear that the good news of salvation is for all, regardless of sex, social position or nationality. Traditionally, Luke wrote his gospel in Greece and died in Boeotia at the age of eighty-four. [Exciting Holiness]