OREMUS: 12 October 2011

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue Oct 11 17:00:01 GMT 2011

OREMUS for October 12
Wilfrid of Ripon, Bishop, Missionary, 709

Blessed are you, Lord our God,
you dwell in unapproachable light,
pure Essence and Perfection of Being!
Self-existent, Necessary, Infinite and Eternal!
You comprehend within yourself
all nature, all wisdom, all justice,
all goodness, all truth and all holiness.

You are to be praised, O God, in Zion;*
 to you shall vows be performed in Jerusalem.
To you that hear prayer shall all flesh come,*
 because of their transgressions.
Our sins are stronger than we are,*
 but you will blot them out.
Happy are they whom you choose
   and draw to your courts to dwell there!*
 they will be satisfied by the beauty of your house,
   by the holiness of your temple.
Awesome things will you show us in your righteousness,
   O God of our salvation,*
 O Hope of all the ends of the earth
   and of the seas that are far away.
You make fast the mountains by your power;*
 they are girded about with might.
You still the roaring of the seas,*
 the roaring of their waves,
   and the clamour of the peoples.
Those who dwell at the ends of the earth
   will tremble at your marvellous signs;*
 you make the dawn and the dusk to sing for joy.
You visit the earth and water it abundantly;
   you make it very plenteous;*
 the river of God is full of water.
You prepare the grain,*
 for so you provide for the earth.
You drench the furrows and smooth out the ridges;*
 with heavy rain you soften the ground
   and bless its increase.
You crown the year with your goodness,*
 and your paths overflow with plenty.
May the fields of the wilderness be rich for grazing,*
 and the hills be clothed with joy.
May the meadows cover themselves with flocks
   and the valleys cloak themselves with grain;*
 let them shout for joy and sing.

Psalm 66

Be joyful in God, all you lands;*
 sing the glory of his name;
   sing the glory of his praise.
Say to God, 'How awesome are your deeds!*
 because of your great strength
   your enemies cringe before you.
'All the earth bows down before you,*
 sings to you, sings out your name.'
Come now and see the works of God,*
 how wonderful he is in his doing towards all people.
He turned the sea into dry land,
   so that they went through the water on foot,*
 and there we rejoiced in him.
In his might he rules for ever;
   his eyes keep watch over the nations;*
 let no rebel rise up against him.
Bless our God, you peoples;*
 make the voice of his praise to be heard;
Who holds our souls in life,*
 and will not allow our feet to slip.
For you, O God, have proved us;*
 you have tried us just as silver is tried.
You brought us into the snare;*
 you laid heavy burdens upon our backs.
You let enemies ride over our heads;
   we went through fire and water;*
 but you brought us out into a place of refreshment.
I will enter your house with burntofferings
   and will pay you my vows,*
 which I promised with my lips
   and spoke with my mouth when I was in trouble.
I will offer you sacrifices of fat beasts
   with the smoke of rams;*
 I will give you oxen and goats.
Come and listen, all you who fear God,*
 and I will tell you what he has done for me.
I called out to him with my mouth,*
 and his praise was on my tongue.
If I had found evil in my heart,*
 the Lord would not have heard me;
But in truth God has heard me;*
 he has attended to the voice of my prayer.
Blessed be God, who has not rejected my prayer,*
 nor withheld his love from me.

Psalm 67

May God be merciful to us and bless us,*
 show us the light of his countenance and come to us.
Let your ways be known upon earth,*
 your saving health among all nations.
Let the peoples praise you, O God;*
 let all the peoples praise you.
Let the nations be glad and sing for joy,*
 for you judge the peoples with equity
   and guide all the nations upon earth.
Let the peoples praise you, O God;*
 let all the peoples praise you.
The earth has brought forth her increase;*
 may God, our own God, give us his blessing.
May God give us his blessing,*
 and may all the ends of the earth stand in awe of him.

FIRST READING [Ezekiel 9]:

Then God cried in my hearing with a loud voice, saying, 'Draw near, you executioners of the city, each with his destroying weapon in his hand.' And six men came from the direction of the upper gate, which faces north, each with his weapon for slaughter in his hand; among them was a man clothed in linen, with a writing-case at his side. They went in and stood beside the bronze altar.

Now the glory of the God of Israel had gone up, from the cherub on which it rested, to the threshold of the house. The Lord called to the man clothed in linen, who had the writing-case at his side, and said to him, 'Go through the city, through Jerusalem, and put a mark on the foreheads of those who sigh and groan over all the abominations that are committed in it.' To the others he said in my hearing, 'Pass through the city after him, and kill; your eye shall not spare, and you shall show no pity. Cut down old men, young men and young women, little children and women, but touch no one who has the mark. And begin at my sanctuary.' So they began with the elders who were in front of the house. Then he said to them, 'Defile the house, and fill the courts with the slain. Go!' So they went out and killed in the city. While they were killing, and I was left alone, I fell prostrate on my face and cried out, 'Ah Lord God! will you destroy all who remain of Israel as you pour out your wrath upon Jerusalem?' He said to me, 'The guilt of the house of Israel and Judah is exceedingly great; the land is full of bloodshed and the city full of perversity; for they say, "The Lord has forsaken the land, and the Lord does not see." As for me, my eye will not spare, nor will I have pity, but I will bring down their deeds upon their heads.'

Then the man clothed in linen, with the writing-case at his side, brought back word, saying, 'I have done as you commanded me.'

HYMN
Words: Fred Kaan (1929-2009) (c) Stainer & Bell, Ltd. Used by permission
Tune: Linnington, Little Cornard

God is unique and one -
Maker, Sustainer, Lord!
Patterns of life were spun
by his creative Word.
Of his intention, love and care
we are with growing trust aware.

Love came to earth in Christ,
our common life to share,
choosing to be the least,
willing a cross to bear.
He died and rose, that we might live
and all our love - responding - give.

The Holy Spirit moves
people to trace God's plan;
such inspiration proves
more than the mind can span.
Each listening heart is led to find
the will of God for humankind.

God shall forever reign,
Ruler of time and space;
Here, in the midst of life,
seen in the human face.
We give expression to our creed
by love in thought, in word and deed.

SECOND READING [John 17.1–5]:

After Jesus had spoken these words, he looked up to heaven and said, 'Father, the hour has come; glorify your Son so that the Son may glorify you, since you have given him authority over all people, to give eternal life to all whom you have given him. And this is eternal life, that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom you have sent. I glorified you on earth by finishing the work that you gave me to do. So now, Father, glorify me in your own presence with the glory that I had in your presence before the world existed.'

Creator and Sustainer of life, God,
who ever calls us back
to his ways of justice and peace:
we thank you for the gift of the land,
for its beauty, and its resources,
and the rich heritage we enjoy.
Merciful, mighty God:
hear our prayer.

And so we pray:
for those who make decisions about our land and its resources;
for those who work on the land and sea,
in our cities, and in commerce and industry;
for artists, scientists, politicians, and visionaries.
Merciful, mighty God:
hear our prayer.

We thank you for giving us life, and for giving us our life together.
We pray for all who through their own or others' actions
are deprived of fullness of life;
for all who know sickness, disability, and an untimely death;
for all who devote their lives to ministering to the needs of others.
Merciful, mighty God:
hear our prayer.

Give us reverence for life in this, your created world.
May we reflect the goodness of your creation
in the society we create with and for one another.
Merciful, mighty God:
hear our prayer.

God of the narrow way,
you call us to shed
all that burdens the lightness of life:
help us to surrender false wealth,
embrace our need of you
and live for your kingdom above all things;
through Jesus Christ, the richness of God. Amen.

Almighty God,
who called our forebears to the light of the gospel
by the preaching of your servant Wilfrid:
help us, who keep his life and labour in remembrance,
to glorify your name by following the example
of his zeal and perseverance;

Lord Jesus Christ,
by the power of your presence
open the mind of God to us,
that in your light we may see light,
and in your strength be strong. Amen.

The opening prayer is by Susanna Wesley. The first collect and the closing sentence are from _Book of Common Order of the Church of Scotland_, (c) 1994, Panel on Worship of the Church of Scotland.

Wilfrid, or Wilfrith, was born of a noble family in Northumbria in about the year 633. He was educated at the monastery of Lindisfarne, but disapproved of what he judged to be their Celtic insularity. He journeyed to Canterbury and then to Rome. He spent three years at Lyons and was there admitted as a monk. He was appointed Abbot of Ripon and took with him the Roman monastic system and Benedictine Rule, which he immediately introduced. At the Synod of Whitby, his dominance was largely responsible for the victory of the Roman party over the Celts and, when he was elected Bishop of York, he went to Compiègne to be consecrated by twelve Frankish bishops rather than risk any doubt of schism by being ordained by Celtic bishops. There were upsets first with Chad and then with Archbishop Theodore of Canterbury, but the Roman authorities took his side and he was eventually restored to his See. After further disputes, he resigned the See of York and became Bishop of Hexham, spending his remaining years in the monastery at Ripon. His gift to the English church was to make it more clearly a part of the Church universal, but his manner and methods were not such as to draw people close to him at a personal level. He died on this day at Ripon in the year 709. [Exciting Holiness]