OREMUS: 1 December 2011

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Nov 30 17:00:00 GMT 2011

OREMUS for December 1

Blessed are you, Lord, and great,
we rejoice because you come to save us.
You are the unchanging one
steadfast through all generations,
and now are present with power,
in the coming of the Christ.
In your coming those who are powerful
meet the eternal Power
and know how small they are.
and those who are rich meet the riches of grace.

http://www.oremus.org/advocant.html

Psalm 6

Lord, do not rebuke me in your anger;*
 do not punish me in your wrath.
Have pity on me, Lord, for I am weak;*
 heal me, Lord, for my bones are racked.
My spirit shakes with terror;*
 how long, O Lord, how long?
Turn, O Lord, and deliver me;*
 save me for your mercy's sake.
For in death no one remembers you;*
 and who will give you thanks in the grave?
I grow weary because of my groaning;*
 every night I drench my bed
   and flood my couch with tears.
My eyes are wasted with grief*
 and worn away because of all my enemies.
Depart from me, all evildoers,*
 for the Lord has heard the sound of my weeping.
The Lord has heard my supplication;*
 the Lord accepts my prayer.
All my enemies shall be confounded and quake with fear;*
 they shall turn back and suddenly be put to shame.

Psalm 7

O Lord my God, I take refuge in you;*
 save and deliver me from all who pursue me;
Lest like a lion they tear me in pieces*
 and snatch me away with none to deliver me.
O Lord my God, if I have done these things:*
 if there is any wickedness in my hands,
If I have repaid my friend with evil,*
 or plundered one who without cause is my enemy;
Then let my enemy pursue and overtake me,*
 trample my life into the ground,
   and lay my honour in the dust.
Stand up, O Lord, in your wrath;*
 rise up against the fury of my enemies.
Awake, O my God, decree justice;*
 let the assembly of the peoples gather round you.
Be seated on your lofty throne, O Most High;*
 O Lord, judge the nations.
Give judgement for me
   according to my righteousness, O Lord,*
 and according to my innocence, O Most High.
Let the malice of the wicked come to an end,
   but establish the righteous;*
 for you test the mind and heart, O righteous God.
God is my shield and defence;*
 he is the saviour of the true in heart.
God is a righteous judge;*
 God sits in judgement every day.
If they will not repent, God will whet his sword;*
 he will bend his bow and make it ready.
He has prepared his weapons of death;*
 he makes his arrows shafts of fire.
Look at those who are in labour with wickedness,*
 who conceive evil and give birth to a lie.
They dig a pit and make it deep*
 and fall into the hole that they have made.
Their malice turns back upon their own head;*
 their violence falls on their own scalp.
I will bear witness that the Lord is righteous;*
 I will praise the name of the Lord Most High.

Psalm 8

O Lord our governor,*
 how exalted is your name in all the world!
Out of the mouths of infants and children*
 your majesty is praised above the heavens.
You have set up a stronghold against your adversaries,*
 to quell the enemy and the avenger.
When I consider your heavens, the work of your fingers,*
 the moon and the stars you have set in their courses,
What are mortals, that you should be mindful of them?*
 mere human beings, that you should seek them out?
You have made them little lower than the angels;*
 you adorn them with glory and honour.
You give them mastery over the works of your hands;*
 and put all things under their feet,
All sheep and oxen,*
 even the wild beasts of the field,
The birds of the air, the fish of the sea,*
 and whatsoever walks in the paths of the sea.
O Lord our governor,*
 how exalted is your name in all the world!

FIRST READING [Isaiah 43:1-7]:

But now thus says the Lord,
   he who created you, O Jacob,
   he who formed you, O Israel:
Do not fear, for I have redeemed you;
   I have called you by name, you are mine.
When you pass through the waters, I will be with you;
   and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you;
when you walk through fire you shall not be burned,
   and the flame shall not consume you.
For I am the Lord your God,
   the Holy One of Israel, your Saviour.
I give Egypt as your ransom,
   Ethiopia and Seba in exchange for you.
Because you are precious in my sight,
   and honoured, and I love you,
I give people in return for you,
   nations in exchange for your life.
Do not fear, for I am with you;
   I will bring your offspring from the east,
   and from the west I will gather you;
I will say to the north, 'Give them up',
   and to the south, 'Do not withhold;
bring my sons from far away
   and my daughters from the end of the earth—
everyone who is called by my name,
   whom I created for my glory,
   whom I formed and made.'

HYMN
Words: Dorothy Greenwell (1821-1882)
Tune: Gonfalon Royal, St Sepulchre

And art thou come with us to dwell,
our prince, our guide, our love, our Lord?
And is thy name Immanuel,
God present with his world restored?

The heart is glad for thee: it knows
none now shall bid it err or mourn,
and o'er its desert breaks the rose
in triumph o'er the grieving thorn.

Thou bringest all again; with thee
is light, is space, is breadth, and room
for each thing fair, beloved and free,
to have its hour of life and bloom.

Each heart's deep instinct, unconfessed;
each lowly wish, each daring claim;
all, all that life hath long repressed,
unfolds, undreading blight or blame.

Thy reign eternal will not cease;
thy years are sure and glad, and slow,
within thy mighty world of peace
the humblest flower hath leave to blow.

The world is glad for thee; the heart
is glad for thee, and all is well
and fixed, and sure, because thou art,
whose name is called Immanuel. Amen.

SECOND READING [Revelation 19]:

After this I heard what seemed to be the loud voice of a great multitude in heaven, saying,
'Hallelujah!
Salvation and glory and power to our God,
   for his judgements are true and just;
And the twenty-four elders and the four living creatures fell down and worshipped God who is seated on the throne, saying,
'Amen. Hallelujah!'

And from the throne came a voice saying,
'Praise our God,
   all you his servants,
and all who fear him,
   small and great.'
Then I heard what seemed to be the voice of a great multitude, like the sound of many waters and like the sound of mighty thunder-peals, crying out,
'Hallelujah!
For the Lord our God
   the Almighty reigns.
Let us rejoice and exult
   and give him the glory,
for the marriage of the Lamb has come,
   and his bride has made herself ready;
to her it has been granted to be clothed
   with fine linen, bright and pure'—
for the fine linen is the righteous deeds of the saints.

And the angel said to me, 'Write this: Blessed are those who are invited to the marriage supper of the Lamb.' And he said to me, 'These are true words of God.' Then I fell down at his feet to worship him, but he said to me, 'You must not do that! I am a fellow-servant with you and your comrades who hold the testimony of Jesus. Worship God! For the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.'

Watchful at all times,
let us pray for strength to stand with confidence
before our Maker and Redeemer.

That God may bring in his kingdom with judgement and mercy,
let us pray to the Lord:
Come in your might, Lord Jesus.

That God may establish among the nations
his sceptre of righteousness, let us pray to the Lord:
Come in your might, Lord Jesus.

That the Church may seek him in the scriptures
and recognise him in the breaking of the bread,
let us pray to the Lord:
Come in your might, Lord Jesus.

That God may bind up the brokenhearted,
restore the sick and raise up all who have fallen,
let us pray to the Lord:
Come in your might, Lord Jesus.

That the light of God's coming may dawn
on all who live in darkness and in the shadow of death,
let us pray to the Lord:
Come in your might, Lord Jesus.

That with all the saints in light,
we may shine forth as lights of the world,
let us pray to the Lord:
Come in your might, Lord Jesus.

So we commend ourselves and all for whom we pray
to the mercy and protection of our heavenly Father:

God of mercy, we pray you,
listen to our prayer
and stand by us in all our trials.
Let the presence of your Son
free us from self-centeredness
and may the hope of his glorious return
fill us with longing to see him face to face.
We make this prayer
through Jesus Christ, the Lord. Amen.

Awaiting his coming in glory,

Forgive our impatience, Lord,
perfect our faith,
and, while we wait for the fulfilment of your promises,
grant us to have a good hope because of your word;

_Common Worship: Services and Prayers for the Church of England_, material from which is included in this service is copyright
(c) The Archbishops' Council, 2000.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is from _ Worship from the United Reformed Church_ and the closing sentence is from _New Patterns for Worship.

The collect is by Alan Griffiths.