OREMUS: 25 November 2011

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu Nov 24 17:00:01 GMT 2011

OREMUS for November 25

Blessed are you, Lord.
We give thanks that in the creation of the world,
when you laid the earth’s foundation
and set its corner-stone in place,
the morning stars sang in chorus
and the angels of God all shouted for joy.
By the power of your Spirit,
you made the universe;
by the might of your Word,
you gave us life.

Teach me, O Lord, the way of your statutes,*
 and I shall keep it to the end.
Give me understanding and I shall keep your law;*
 I shall keep it with all my heart.
Make me go in the path of your commandments,*
 for that is my desire.
Incline my heart to your decrees*
 and not to unjust gain.
Turn my eyes from watching what is worthless;*
 give me life in your ways.
Fulfil your promise to your servant,*
 which you make to those who fear you.
Turn away the reproach which I dread,*
 because your judgements are good.
Behold, I long for your commandments;*
 in your righteousness preserve my life.
Let your lovingkindness come to me, O Lord,*
 and your salvation, according to your promise.
Then shall I have a word for those who taunt me,*
 because I trust in your words.
Do not take the word of truth out of my mouth,*
 for my hope is in your judgements.
I shall continue to keep your law;*
 I shall keep it for ever and ever.
I will walk at liberty,*
 because I study your commandments.
I will tell of your decrees before kings*
 and will not be ashamed.
I delight in your commandments,*
 which I have always loved.
I will lift up my hands to your commandments,*
 and I will meditate on your statutes.
Psalm 119:49-56

Remember your word to your servant,*
 because you have given me hope.
This is my comfort in my trouble,*
 that your promise gives me life.
The proud have derided me cruelly,*
 but I have not turned from your law.
When I remember your judgements of old,*
 O Lord, I take great comfort.
I am filled with a burning rage,*
 because of the wicked who forsake your law.
Your statutes have been like songs to me*
 wherever I have lived as a stranger.
I remember your name in the night, O Lord,*
 and dwell upon your law.
This is how it has been with me,*
 because I have kept your commandments.
You only are my portion, O Lord;*
 I have promised to keep your words.
I entreat you with all my heart,*
 be merciful to me according to your promise.

I have considered my ways*
 and turned my feet towards your decrees.
I hasten and do not tarry*
 to keep your commandments.
Though the cords of the wicked entangle me,*
 I do not forget your law.
At midnight I will rise to give you thanks,*
 because of your righteous judgements.
I am a companion of all who fear you*
 and of those who keep your commandments.
The earth, O Lord, is full of your love;*
 instruct me in your statutes.
Psalm 119:65-72

O Lord, you have dealt graciously with your servant,*
 according to your word.
Teach me discernment and knowledge,*
 for I have believed in your commandments.
Before I was afflicted I went astray,*
 but now I keep your word.
You are good and you bring forth good;*
 instruct me in your statutes.
The proud have smeared me with lies,*
 but I will keep your commandments
   with my whole heart.
Their heart is gross and fat,*
 but my delight is in your law.
It is good for me that I have been afflicted,*
 that I might learn your statutes.
The law of your mouth is dearer to me*
 than thousands in gold and silver.

FIRST READING [Isaiah 17:4-8,10a]:

On that day
   the glory of Jacob will be brought low,
   and the fat of his flesh will grow lean.
And it shall be as when reapers gather standing grain
   and their arms harvest the ears,
and as when one gleans the ears of grain
   in the Valley of Rephaim.
Gleanings will be left in it,
   as when an olive tree is beaten—
two or three berries
   in the top of the highest bough,
four or five
   on the branches of a fruit tree,
says the Lord God of Israel.

On that day people will regard their Maker, and their eyes will look to the Holy One of Israel; they will not have regard for the altars, the work of their hands, and they will not look to what their own fingers have made, either the sacred poles or the altars of incense.
For you have forgotten the God of your salvation,
   and have not remembered the Rock of your refuge

HYMN
Words: Mildred B Duff (1860-1932)
Meter: CMD

The heart that once has Jesus known
And turned away again,
Finds soon the joys of sin are flown
Though sharp the sting remain.
The soul that once has walked with him,
Then left his guiding light,
Can only find earth's glitter dim,
Its promise quenched in night.

In vain you strive to drown the thought
Of what you might have been;
Earth's pleasures are too dearly bought,
Its sorrows all too keen!
Backslider, hear! God speaks your name,
It is not yet too late;
The Lord in mercy tarries yet,
He has not closed the gate.

We do believe that Jesus can
Restore his work in you.
His touch will full salvation give;
He maketh all things new.
O rise at once! delay no more,
Nor hesitate, nor doubt,
If you but leave your sin and come,
He will not cast you out.

SECOND READING [John 21.15–19]:

When they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, 'Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?' He said to him, 'Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.' Jesus said to him, 'Feed my lambs.' A second time he said to him, 'Simon son of John, do you love me?' He said to him, 'Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.' Jesus said to him, 'Tend my sheep.' He said to him the third time, 'Simon son of John, do you love me?' Peter felt hurt because he said to him the third time, 'Do you love me?' And he said to him, 'Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you.' Jesus said to him, 'Feed my sheep. Very truly, I tell you, when you were younger, you used to fasten your own belt and to go wherever you wished. But when you grow old, you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will fasten a belt around you and take you where you do not wish to go.' (He said this to indicate the kind of death by which he would glorify God.) After this he said to him, 'Follow me.'

United in the company of all the faithful
and looking for the coming of the kingdom,
let us offer our prayers to God, the source of all life and holiness.

Merciful Lord, strengthen all Christian people by your Holy Spirit
that we may live as a royal priesthood
and a holy nation to the praise of Jesus Christ our Saviour.
Lord, in your mercy.
Hear our prayer.

Empower us by the gift of your Holy and lifegiving Spirit
that we may be transformed into the likeness of Christ
from glory to glory.
Lord, in your mercy.
Hear our prayer.

Hold in your embrace all who witness to your love
in the service of the poor and needy;
all who minister to the sick and dying;
and all who bring light to those in darkness.
Lord, in your mercy.
Hear our prayer.

Remember in your mercy all those gone before us
who have been wellpleasing to you from eternity;
preserve in your faith your servants on earth,
guide us to your kingdom,
and grant us your peace at all times.
Lord, in your mercy.
Hear our prayer.

We give you thanks
for the whole company of your saints in glory,
with whom in fellowship we join our prayers and praises;
by your grace may we, like them, be made perfect in your love.

Merciful Father,
accept these prayers
for the sake of your Son,
our Saviour Jesus Christ. Amen.

Vast and immense God,
your actions are beyond our imagination,
the wonders of your grace are infinite:
May your Holy Spirit help us to recognize in the scriptures
certain drops of this vast ocean of your revelation,
that we may discern the multitude of ways
in which your Son Jesus Christ is present with us.
We ask this through him whose love
was revealed on the cross and beyond, Jesus Christ. Amen.

God the Father keep us in the heart of God.
Christ Jesus, Son of God, seal our inheritance.
The Spirit mark us with the sign of salvation
and the glory of God. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is from _Common Order_ and the closing prayer is from _Uniting in Worship 2_.