OREMUS: 10 November 2011

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Nov 9 17:00:00 GMT 2011

OREMUS for November 10
Leo the Great, Bishop of Rome, Teacher of the Faith, 461

Blessed are you,  O Lord our God,
you rule over all things
and accomplish all things
and you never remove your hands from your works,
nor ever shall.

The Lord, the God of gods, has spoken;*
 he has called the earth
   from the rising of the sun to its setting.
Out of Zion, perfect in its beauty,*
 God reveals himself in glory.
Our God will come and will not keep silence;*
 before him there is a consuming flame,
   and round about him a raging storm.
He calls the heavens and the earth from above*
 to witness the judgement of his people.
'Gather before me my loyal followers,*
 those who have made a covenant with me
   and sealed it with sacrifice.'
Let the heavens declare the rightness of his cause;*
 for God himself is judge.
Hear, O my people, and I will speak:
   'O Israel, I will bear witness against you;*
 for I am God, your God.
'I do not accuse you because of your sacrifices;*
 your offerings are always before me.
'I will take no bullcalf from your stalls,*
 nor hegoats out of your pens;
'For the beasts of the forest are mine,*
 the herds in their thousands upon the hills.
'I know every bird in the sky,*
 and the creatures of the fields are in my sight.
'If I were hungry, I would not tell you,*
 for the whole world is mine and all that is in it.
'Do you think I eat the flesh of bulls,*
 or drink the blood of goats?
'Offer to God a sacrifice of thanksgiving*
 and make good your vows to the Most High.
'Call upon me in the day of trouble;*
 I will deliver you and you shall honour me.'
But to the wicked God says:*
 'Why do you recite my statutes,
   and take my covenant upon your lips;
'Since you refuse discipline,*
 and toss my words behind your back?
'When you see a thief, you make him your friend,*
 and you cast in your lot with adulterers.
'You have loosed your lips for evil,*
 and harnessed your tongue to a lie.
'You are always speaking evil of your brother*
 and slandering your own mother's son.
'These things you have done and I kept still,*
 and you thought that I am like you.
'I have made my accusation;*
 I have put my case in order before your eyes.
'Consider this well, you who forget God,*
 lest I rend you and there be none to deliver you.
'Whoever offers me the sacrifice of thanksgiving
   honours me;*
 but to those who keep in my way
   will I show the salvation of God.'

Psalm 51

Have mercy on me, O God,
   according to your lovingkindness;*
 in your great compassion blot out my offences.
Wash me through and through from my wickedness*
 and cleanse me from my sin.
For I know my transgressions,*
 and my sin is ever before me.
Against you only have I sinned*
 and done what is evil in your sight.
And so you are justified when you speak*
 and upright in your judgement.
Indeed, I have been wicked from my birth,*
 a sinner from my mother's womb.
For behold, you look for truth deep within me,*
 and will make me understand wisdom secretly.
Purge me from my sin and I shall be pure;*
 wash me and I shall be clean indeed.
Make me hear of joy and gladness,*
 that the body you have broken may rejoice.
Hide your face from my sins*
 and blot out all my iniquities.
Create in me a clean heart, O God,*
 and renew a right spirit within me.
Cast me not away from your presence*
 and take not your holy Spirit from me.
Give me the joy of your saving help again*
 and sustain me with your bountiful Spirit.
I shall teach your ways to the wicked,*
 and sinners shall return to you.
Deliver me from death, O God,*
 and my tongue shall sing of your righteousness,
   O God of my salvation.
Open my lips, O Lord,*
 and my mouth shall proclaim your praise.
Had you desired it, I would have offered sacrifice,*
 but you take no delight in burntofferings.
The sacrifice of God is a troubled spirit;*
 a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise.
Be favourable and gracious to Zion,*
 and rebuild the walls of Jerusalem.
Then you will be pleased with the appointed sacrifices,
   with burntofferings and oblations;*
 then shall they offer young bullocks upon your altar.

Psalm 52

You tyrant, why do you boast of wickedness*
 against the godly all day long?
You plot ruin; your tongue is like a sharpened razor,*
 O worker of deception.
You love evil more than good*
 and lying more than speaking the truth.
You love all words that hurt,*
 O you deceitful tongue.
The righteous shall see and tremble,*
 and they shall laugh, saying,
'This is the one who did not take God for a refuge,*
 but trusted in great wealth and relied upon wickedness.'
But I am like a green olive tree in the house of God;*
 I trust in the mercy of God for ever and ever.
I will give you thanks for what you have done*
 and declare the goodness of your name
   in the presence of the godly.

FIRST READING [Isaiah 2.12–end 6]:

For the Lord of hosts has a day
   against all that is proud and lofty,
   against all that is lifted up and high;
against all the cedars of Lebanon,
   lofty and lifted up;
   and against all the oaks of Bashan;
against all the high mountains,
   and against all the lofty hills;
against every high tower,
   and against every fortified wall;
against all the ships of Tarshish,
   and against all the beautiful craft.
The haughtiness of people shall be humbled,
   and the pride of everyone shall be brought low;
   and the Lord alone will be exalted on that day.
The idols shall utterly pass away.
Enter the caves of the rocks
   and the holes of the ground,
from the terror of the Lord,
   and from the glory of his majesty,
   when he rises to terrify the earth.
On that day people will throw away
   to the moles and to the bats
their idols of silver and their idols of gold,
   which they made for themselves to worship,
to enter the caverns of the rocks
   and the clefts in the crags,
from the terror of the Lord,
   and from the glory of his majesty,
   when he rises to terrify the earth.
Turn away from mortals,
   who have only breath in their nostrils,
   for of what account are they?

HYMN
Words: Philip Doddridge (1702-1751)
Tune: Kilmarnock, Winchester Old, St Magnus

Awake, my soul, stretch every nerve,
And press with vigour on;
A heavenly race demands thy zeal,
And an immortal crown.

A cloud of witnesses around
Hold thee in full survey:
Forget the steps already trod,
And onward urge thy way.

'Tis God's all-animating voice
That calls thee from on high;
'Tis His own hand presents the prize
To thine aspiring eye.

That prize, with peerless glories bright,
Which shall new lustre boast,
When victor's wreaths and monarchs' gems
Shall blen in common dust.

Blest Saviour, introduced by Thee,
Have I my race begun;
And, crowned with victory, at Thy feet
I'll lay my honours down.

SECOND READING [Matthew 8.14–22]:

When Jesus entered Peter's house, he saw his mother-in-law lying in bed with a fever; he touched her hand, and the fever left her, and she got up and began to serve him. That evening they brought to him many who were possessed by demons; and he cast out the spirits with a word, and cured all who were sick. This was to fulfil what had been spoken through the prophet Isaiah, 'He took our infirmities and bore our diseases.'

Now when Jesus saw great crowds around him, he gave orders to go over to the other side. A scribe then approached and said, 'Teacher, I will follow you wherever you go.' And Jesus said to him, 'Foxes have holes, and birds of the air have nests; but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay his head.' Another of his disciples said to him, 'Lord, first let me go and bury my father.' But Jesus said to him, 'Follow me, and let the dead bury their own dead.'

Jesus our exalted Lord has been given all authority.
Let us seek his intercession that our prayers may be perfected by his prayer.

Jesus Christ, great high priest, living for ever to intercede for us:
pray for your Church, your broken body in the world(
Lord, hear us.
Lord, graciously hear us.

Jesus Christ, king of righteousness,
enthroned at the right hand of the majesty on high:
pray for the world, and make it subject to your gentle rule(
Lord, hear us.
Lord, graciously hear us.

Jesus Christ, Son of Man, drawing humanity into the life of God:
pray for your bothers and sisters in need, distress or sorrow(
Lord, hear us.
Lord, graciously hear us.

Jesus Christ, pioneer of our salvation,
bringing us to your glory through your death and resurrection:
receive into your kingdom those who have died trusting in your promises(
Lord, hear us.
Lord, graciously hear us.

Jesus Christ, Lord of all things,
ascended far above from the heavens and filling the universe:
pray for us who receive the gifts you give us for work in your service(
Lord, hear us.
Lord, graciously hear us.

Jesus Christ,
keep the Church in the unity of the Spirit
and in the bond of peace,
and bring the whole created order to worship at your feet;
for you are alive and reign with the Father and the Holy Spirit,
one God, now and for ever. Amen.

Gracious and eternal God,
you called your servant Leo
to strengthen your church
and to proclaim with power
that Jesus Christ is truly divine and truly human,
one with us in our humanity
and one with you in your divine being;
help us to be strong in this faith
and to hold fast the mystery of our redemption;

Be present, O merciful God, and protect us,
so that we who are fatigued by the changes and chances
of this fleeting world,
may repose upon your eternal changelessness. Amen.

The opening prayer is adapted from a prayer by Julian of Norwich. The closing prayer is from the Leonine Sacramentary.
The second collect is from _For All the Saints_, Anglican Church of New Zealand.
Leo the Great became pope in the year 440 and twice proved his bravery in saving the citizens of Rome from the invading barbarians. He was an eloquent and wise preacher, using simple gospel texts to proclaim the Christian faith. His administrative skills were unrivalled and he used the resources of the Church for the good of the people. Rather than further confuse Christians by entering into the controversy over the person of Christ, Leo spoke simply of the humility of Christ who was divine and human in his compassion, uniting biblical images in prayer rather than dividing in debate. Leo died on this day in the year 461. [Exciting Holiness]