OREMUS: 30 May 2011

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun May 29 17:00:00 GMT 2011

OREMUS for May 30

Blessed are you, strong and faithful God.
All your works, the height and the depth,
echo the silent music of your praise.
In the beginning your Word summoned light,
night withdrew, and creation dawned.
As ages passed unseen,
waters gathered on the face of the earth
and life appeared.
When the times at last had ripened
and the earth grown full in abundance,
you created in your image man and woman,
the stewards of all creation.
You gave us breath and speech,
that all the living
might find a voice to sing your praise,
and to celebrate the creation you call good.

Blessed be the Lord my rock!*
 who trains my hands to fight and my fingers to battle;
My help and my fortress,
   my stronghold and my deliverer,*
 my shield in whom I trust,
   who subdues the peoples under me.
O Lord, what are we that you should care for us?*
 mere mortals that you should think of us?
We are like a puff of wind;*
 our days are like a passing shadow.
Bow your heavens, O Lord, and come down;*
 touch the mountains and they shall smoke.
Hurl the lightning and scatter them;*
 shoot out your arrows and rout them.
Stretch out your hand from on high;*
 rescue me and deliver me from the great waters,
   from the hand of foreign peoples,
Whose mouths speak deceitfully*
 and whose right hand is raised in falsehood.
O God, I will sing to you a new song;*

 I will play to you on a tenstringed lyre.
You give victory to kings*
 and have rescued David your servant.
Rescue me from the hurtful sword*
 and deliver me from the hand of foreign peoples,
Whose mouths speak deceitfully*
 and whose right hand is raised in falsehood.
May our sons be like plants
   well nurtured from their youth,*
 and our daughters like sculptured corners of a palace.
May our barns be filled to overflowing*
 with all manner of crops;
May the flocks in our pastures
   increase by thousands and tens of thousands;*
 may our cattle be fat and sleek.
May there be no breaching of the walls,
   no going into exile,*
 no wailing in the public squares.
Happy are the people of whom this is so!*
 happy are the people whose God is the Lord!

Psalm 145

I will exalt you, O God my King,*
 and bless your name for ever and ever.
Every day will I bless you*
 and praise your name for ever and ever.
Great is the Lord and greatly to be praised;*
 there is no end to his greatness.
One generation shall praise your works to another*
 and shall declare your power.
I will ponder the glorious splendour of your majesty*
 and all your marvellous works.
They shall speak of the might of your wondrous acts,*
 and I will tell of your greatness.
They shall publish the remembrance
   of your great goodness;*
 they shall sing of your righteous deeds.
The Lord is gracious and full of compassion,*
 slow to anger and of great kindness.
The Lord is loving to everyone*
 and his compassion is over all his works.
All your works praise you, O Lord,*
 and your faithful servants bless you.
They make known the glory of your kingdom*
 and speak of your power;
That the peoples may know of your power*
 and the glorious splendour of your kingdom.
Your kingdom is an everlasting kingdom;*
 your dominion endures throughout all ages.
The Lord is faithful in all his words*
 and merciful in all his deeds.
The Lord upholds all those who fall;*
 he lifts up those who are bowed down.
The eyes of all wait upon you, O Lord,*
 and you give them their food in due season.
You open wide your hand*
 and satisfy the needs of every living creature.
The Lord is righteous in all his ways*
 and loving in all his works.
The Lord is near to those who call upon him,*
 to all who call upon him faithfully.
He fulfils the desire of those who fear him,*
 he hears their cry and helps them.
The Lord preserves all those who love him,*
 but he destroys all the wicked.
My mouth shall speak the praise of the Lord;*
 let all flesh bless his holy name for ever and ever.

FIRST READING [Job 13]:

Job continued:
'Look, my eye has seen all this,
   my ear has heard and understood it.
What you know, I also know;
   I am not inferior to you.
But I would speak to the Almighty,
   and I desire to argue my case with God.
As for you, you whitewash with lies;
   all of you are worthless physicians.
If you would only keep silent,
   that would be your wisdom!
Hear now my reasoning,
   and listen to the pleadings of my lips.
Will you speak falsely for God,
   and speak deceitfully for him?
Will you show partiality towards him,
   will you plead the case for God?
Will it be well with you when he searches you out?
   Or can you deceive him, as one person deceives another?
He will surely rebuke you
   if in secret you show partiality.
Will not his majesty terrify you,
   and the dread of him fall upon you?
Your maxims are proverbs of ashes,
   your defences are defences of clay.

'Let me have silence, and I will speak,
   and let come on me what may.
I will take my flesh in my teeth,
   and put my life in my hand.
See, he will kill me; I have no hope;
   but I will defend my ways to his face.
This will be my salvation,
   that the godless shall not come before him.
Listen carefully to my words,
   and let my declaration be in your ears.
I have indeed prepared my case;
   I know that I shall be vindicated.
Who is there that will contend with me?
   For then I would be silent and die.

'Only grant two things to me,
   then I will not hide myself from your face:
withdraw your hand far from me,
   and do not let dread of you terrify me.
Then call, and I will answer;
   or let me speak, and you reply to me.
How many are my iniquities and my sins?
   Make me know my transgression and my sin.
Why do you hide your face,
   and count me as your enemy?
Will you frighten a windblown leaf
   and pursue dry chaff?
For you write bitter things against me,
   and make me reap the iniquities of my youth.
You put my feet in the stocks,
   and watch all my paths;
   you set a bound to the soles of my feet.
One wastes away like a rotten thing,
   like a garment that is moth-eaten.'

HYMN
Words: Huper tes anothen eirenes translated John Brownlie (1857-1925)
Tune: Ach Gott und Herr

Lord, to our humble prayers attend,
Let thou thy peace from heaven descend,
And to our souls salvation send:
Have mercy, Lord, upon us.

Rule in our hearts, thou Prince of Peace,
The welfare of thy Church increase,
And bid all strife and discord cease:
Have mercy, Lord, upon us.

To all who meet for worship here
Do thou in faithfulness draw near;
Inspire with faith and godly fear:
Have mercy, Lord, upon us.

O let thy priests be clothed with might,
To rule within thy Church aright,
That they may serve as in thy sight:
Have mercy, Lord, upon us.

The sovereign ruler of our land
Protect by thine almighty hand,
And all around the throne who stand:
Have mercy, Lord, upon us.

Let clouds and sunshine bless the earth,
Give flowers and fruit a timely birth,
Our harvests crown with peaceful mirth:
Have mercy, Lord, upon us.

Let voyagers by land and sea
In danger's hour in safety be;
The suffering and the captive free:
Have mercy, Lord, upon us.

Around us let thine arm be cast,
Till wrath and danger are o'erpast,
And tribulation's bitter blast:
Have mercy, Lord, upon us.

SECOND READING [2 Timothy 1.15–2.13]:

You are aware that all who are in Asia have turned away from me, including Phygelus and Hermogenes. May the Lord grant mercy to the household of Onesiphorus, because he often refreshed me and was not ashamed of my chain; when he arrived in Rome, he eagerly searched for me and found me —may the Lord grant that he will find mercy from the Lord on that day! And you know very well how much service he rendered in Ephesus.

You then, my child, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus; and what you have heard from me through many witnesses entrust to faithful people who will be able to teach others as well. Share in suffering like a good soldier of Christ Jesus. No one serving in the army gets entangled in everyday affairs; the soldier’s aim is to please the enlisting officer. And in the case of an athlete, no one is crowned without competing according to the rules. It is the farmer who does the work who ought to have the first share of the crops. Think over what I say, for the Lord will give you understanding in all things.

Remember Jesus Christ, raised from the dead, a descendant of David—that is my gospel, for which I suffer hardship, even to the point of being chained like a criminal. But the word of God is not chained. Therefore I endure everything for the sake of the elect, so that they may also obtain the salvation that is in Christ Jesus, with eternal glory. The saying is sure:
If we have died with him, we will also live with him;
if we endure, we will also reign with him;
if we deny him, he will also deny us;
if we are faithless, he remains faithful—
for he cannot deny himself.

O God our creator,
whose good earth is entrusted to our care
and delight and tenderness, we pray:
May those who sow in tears
reap with songs of joy

For all who are in captivity to debt,
whose lives are cramped by fear
>From which there is no turning
except through abundant harvest;
May those who sow in tears
reap with songs of joy

For all who depend on the earth
for their daily food and fuel,
whose forests are destroyed
for the profit of a few.
May those who sow in tears
reap with songs of joy

For all who labour in poverty,
who are oppressed by unjust laws,
who are banned from speaking the truth,
who long for a harvest of justice.
May those who sow in tears
reap with songs of joy

For all who are in captivity
to greed and waste and boredom,
whose harvest joy is choked
with things they do not need.
May those who sow in tears
reap with songs of joy

Turn us again from our captivity
and restore our vision,
that our mouth may be filled with laughter
and our tongue with singing. Amen.

O merciful Creator,
your hand is open wide to satisfy the needs of every living creature:
Make us always thankful for your loving providence;
and grant that we, remembering the account that we must one day give,
may be faithful stewards of your good gifts;
through your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Rejoicing in God's new creation,

Come, Lord Jesus, in glory
that at last all peoples will be free,
all divisions healed,
and your whole creation will sing your praise. Amen.

a Eucharistic Prayer in _Book of Common Worship_, (c) 1993
Westminster / John Knox Press.