OREMUS: 28 May 2011

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri May 27 17:00:00 GMT 2011

OREMUS for May 18

Blessed are you, O Lord, Redeemer God.
You destroyed the bonds of death
and from the darkness of the tomb
drew forth the light of the world.
You led us through the waters of death,
and made us children of light
singing Alleluias
and dancing to the music of new life.
For these and all your wondrous acts, we praise you:
Father, Son, and Holy Spirit,
Blessed be God for ever! Alleluia!

Lord, remember David*
 and all the hardships he endured;
How he swore an oath to the Lord*
 and vowed a vow to the Mighty One of Jacob:
'I will not come under the roof of my house,*
 nor climb up into my bed;
'I will not allow my eyes to sleep,*
 nor let my eyelids slumber;
'Until I find a place for the Lord,*
 a dwelling for the Mighty One of Jacob.'
'The Ark! We heard it was in Ephrathah;*
 we found it in the fields of Jearim.
'Let us go to God's dwelling place;*
 let us fall upon our knees before his footstool.'
Arise, O Lord, into your restingplace,*
 you and the ark of your strength.
Let your priests be clothed with righteousness;*
 let your faithful people sing with joy.
For your servant David's sake,*
 do not turn away the face of your anointed.
The Lord has sworn an oath to David;*
 in truth, he will not break it:
'A son, the fruit of your body*
 will I set upon your throne.
'If your children keep my covenant
   and my testimonies that I shall teach them,*
 their children will sit upon your throne for evermore.'
For the Lord has chosen Zion,*
 he has desired her for his habitation:
'This shall be my restingplace for ever;*
 here will I dwell, for I delight in her.
'I will surely bless her provisions,*
 and satisfy her poor with bread.
'I will clothe her priests with salvation,*
 and her faithful people will rejoice and sing.
'There will I make the horn of David flourish;*
 I have prepared a lamp for my anointed.
As for his enemies, I will clothe them with shame;*
 but as for him, his crown will shine.(

Psalm 133

O how good and pleasant it is,*
 when a family lives together in unity!
It is like fine oil upon the head*
 that runs down upon the beard,
Upon the beard of Aaron,*
 and runs down upon the collar of his robe.
It is like the dew of Hermon*
 that falls upon the hills of Zion.
For there the Lord has ordained the blessing:*
 life for evermore.

Psalm 134

Behold now, bless the Lord,
   all you servants of the Lord,*
 you that stand by night in the house of the Lord.
Lift up your hands in the holy place
   and bless the Lord;*
 the Lord who made heaven and earth
   bless you out of Zion.

FIRST READING [Job 11]:

Then Zophar the Naamathite answered:
'Should a multitude of words go unanswered,
   and should one full of talk be vindicated?
Should your babble put others to silence,
   and when you mock, shall no one shame you?
For you say, “My conduct is pure,
   and I am clean in God's sight.”
But O that God would speak,
   and open his lips to you,
and that he would tell you the secrets of wisdom!
   For wisdom is many-sided.
Know then that God exacts of you less than your guilt deserves.

'Can you find out the deep things of God?
   Can you find out the limit of the Almighty?
It is higher than heaven—what can you do?
   Deeper than Sheol—what can you know?
Its measure is longer than the earth,
   and broader than the sea.
If he passes through, and imprisons,
   and assembles for judgement, who can hinder him?
For he knows those who are worthless;
   when he sees iniquity, will he not consider it?
But a stupid person will get understanding,
   when a wild ass is born human.

'If you direct your heart rightly,
   you will stretch out your hands towards him.
If iniquity is in your hand, put it far away,
   and do not let wickedness reside in your tents.
Surely then you will lift up your face without blemish;
   you will be secure, and will not fear.
You will forget your misery;
   you will remember it as waters that have passed away.
And your life will be brighter than the noonday;
   its darkness will be like the morning.
And you will have confidence, because there is hope;
   you will be protected and take your rest in safety.
You will lie down, and no one will make you afraid;
   many will entreat your favour.
But the eyes of the wicked will fail;
   all way of escape will be lost to them,
   and their hope is to breathe their last.'

HYMN
Words: N Lambert
Tune: Farley Castle

Teach me, O Lord, to follow Him who trod
With loving zeal the pathway to His God;
Help me to rest my faith on Him alone
Who died for my transgression to atone.

Wean my rebellious heart from earthly things,
Show me the Fount whence living water springs;
Teach me to feel that, when afflictions come,
They're sent in love, to turn my thoughts to home.

So may I live, that in my daily race
The things of God may hold the highest place;
So may I die, that death to me may be
The opening dawn of immortality.

SECOND READING [1 Timothy 6.11–end]:

But as for you, man of God, shun all this; pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance, gentleness. Fight the good fight of the faith; take hold of the eternal life, to which you were called and for which you made the good confession in the presence of many witnesses. In the presence of God, who gives life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who in his testimony before Pontius Pilate made the good confession, I charge you to keep the commandment without spot or blame until the manifestation of our Lord Jesus Christ, which he will bring about at the right time—he who is the blessed and only Sovereign, the King of kings and Lord of lords. It is he alone who has immortality and dwells in unapproachable light, whom no one has ever seen or can see; to him be honour and eternal dominion. Amen.

As for those who in the present age are rich, command them not to be haughty, or to set their hopes on the uncertainty of riches, but rather on God who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment. They are to do good, to be rich in good works, generous, and ready to share, thus storing up for themselves the treasure of a good foundation for the future, so that they may take hold of the life that really is life.

Timothy, guard what has been entrusted to you. Avoid the profane chatter and contradictions of what is falsely called knowledge; by professing it some have missed the mark as regards the faith.

Grace be with you.

Jesus, Light of the world,
bring the light and peace of your Gospel
to the nations.
Lord of life,
hear our prayer.

Jesus, Bread of life,
give food to the hungry
and nourish us all with your Word.
Lord of life,
hear our prayer.

Jesus, our Way, our Truth, our Life,
be with us and all who follow in the way.
Deepen our appreciation of your truth
and fill us with your life.
Lord of life,
hear our prayer.

Jesus, Good Shepherd,
who gave your life for the sheep,
recover the straggler,
bind up the injured,
strengthen the sick
and lead the healthy and strong to new pastures.
Lord of life,
hear our prayer.

Jesus, the Resurrection and the Life,
we give you thanks for all who have lived and believed in you.
Raise us with them to eternal life.
Lord of life,
hear our prayer.

Saving God, who called your Church to witness that you were in Christ reconciling the world to yourself: help us so to proclaim the good news of your love, that all who hear it may be reconciled to you; through him who died for us and rose again and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever. Amen.

Rejoicing in God's new creation,

Lead us always to the living waters
where you promise respite and refreshment,
that we may be counted among those
who know and follow you, O Lord. Amen.