OREMUS: 25 May 2011

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue May 24 17:00:00 GMT 2011

OREMUS for May 25
The Venerable Bede, Monk at Jarrow, Scholar, Historian, 735

Blessed are you, eternal God,
we praise you that your glory has dawned on us,
and brought us to resurrection life.
We rejoice that the grave could not hold your Son,
that he has conquered death,
and summons us daily into new life,
to follow him with joy and gladness.
For these and all your wondrous acts, we praise you,
Father, Son, and Holy Spirit,
Blessed be God for ever! Alleluia!

Teach me, O Lord, the way of your statutes,*
 and I shall keep it to the end.
Give me understanding and I shall keep your law;*
 I shall keep it with all my heart.
Make me go in the path of your commandments,*
 for that is my desire.
Incline my heart to your decrees*
 and not to unjust gain.
Turn my eyes from watching what is worthless;*
 give me life in your ways.
Fulfil your promise to your servant,*
 which you make to those who fear you.
Turn away the reproach which I dread,*
 because your judgements are good.
Behold, I long for your commandments;*
 in your righteousness preserve my life.
Psalm 119:41-48

Let your lovingkindness come to me, O Lord,*
 and your salvation, according to your promise.
Then shall I have a word for those who taunt me,*
 because I trust in your words.
Do not take the word of truth out of my mouth,*
 for my hope is in your judgements.
I shall continue to keep your law;*
 I shall keep it for ever and ever.
I will walk at liberty,*
 because I study your commandments.
I will tell of your decrees before kings*
 and will not be ashamed.
I delight in your commandments,*
 which I have always loved.
I will lift up my hands to your commandments,*
 and I will meditate on your statutes.
Psalm 119:49-56

Remember your word to your servant,*
 because you have given me hope.
This is my comfort in my trouble,*
 that your promise gives me life.
The proud have derided me cruelly,*
 but I have not turned from your law.
When I remember your judgements of old,*
 O Lord, I take great comfort.
I am filled with a burning rage,*
 because of the wicked who forsake your law.
Your statutes have been like songs to me*
 wherever I have lived as a stranger.
I remember your name in the night, O Lord,*
 and dwell upon your law.
This is how it has been with me,*
 because I have kept your commandments.
Psalm 119:57-64

You only are my portion, O Lord;*
 I have promised to keep your words.
I entreat you with all my heart,*
 be merciful to me according to your promise.

I have considered my ways*
 and turned my feet towards your decrees.
I hasten and do not tarry*
 to keep your commandments.
Though the cords of the wicked entangle me,*
 I do not forget your law.
At midnight I will rise to give you thanks,*
 because of your righteous judgements.
I am a companion of all who fear you*
 and of those who keep your commandments.
The earth, O Lord, is full of your love;*
 instruct me in your statutes.
Psalm 119:65-72

O Lord, you have dealt graciously with your servant,*
 according to your word.
Teach me discernment and knowledge,*
 for I have believed in your commandments.
Before I was afflicted I went astray,*
 but now I keep your word.
You are good and you bring forth good;*
 instruct me in your statutes.
The proud have smeared me with lies,*
 but I will keep your commandments
   with my whole heart.
Their heart is gross and fat,*
 but my delight is in your law.
It is good for me that I have been afflicted,*
 that I might learn your statutes.
The law of your mouth is dearer to me*
 than thousands in gold and silver.

FIRST READING [Job 8]:

Then Bildad the Shuhite answered:
'How long will you say these things,
   and the words of your mouth be a great wind?
Does God pervert justice?
   Or does the Almighty pervert the right?
If your children sinned against him,
   he delivered them into the power of their transgression.
If you will seek God
   and make supplication to the Almighty,
if you are pure and upright,
   surely then he will rouse himself for you
   and restore to you your rightful place.
Though your beginning was small,
   your latter days will be very great.

'For inquire now of bygone generations,
   and consider what their ancestors have found;
for we are but of yesterday, and we know nothing,
   for our days on earth are but a shadow.
Will they not teach you and tell you
   and utter words out of their understanding?

'Can papyrus grow where there is no marsh?
   Can reeds flourish where there is no water?
While yet in flower and not cut down,
   they wither before any other plant.
Such are the paths of all who forget God;
   the hope of the godless shall perish.
Their confidence is gossamer,
   a spider's house their trust.
If one leans against its house, it will not stand;
   if one lays hold of it, it will not endure.
The wicked thrive before the sun,
   and their shoots spread over the garden.
Their roots twine around the stoneheap;
   they live among the rocks.
If they are destroyed from their place,
   then it will deny them, saying, “I have never seen you.”
See, these are their happy ways,
   and out of the earth still others will spring.

'See, God will not reject a blameless person,
   nor take the hand of evildoers.
He will yet fill your mouth with laughter,
   and your lips with shouts of joy.
Those who hate you will be clothed with shame,
   and the tent of the wicked will be no more.'

HYMN
Words: The Venerable Bede (673-735);
trans. verses 1-2: Elizabeth Rundles Charles (1828-1896)
verse 3: Benjamin Webb (1819-1885).
Tune: Jam lucis orto sidere, Deo gracias

A hymn of glory let us sing,
new hymns throughout the world shall ring;
by a new way none ever trod
Christ takes his place--the throne of God!

You are a present joy, O Lord;
you will be ever our reward;
and great the light in you we see
to guide us to eternity.

O risen Christ, ascended Lord,
all praise to you let earth accord,
who are, while endless ages run,
with Father and with Spirit, One.

SECOND READING [1 Timothy 5.1–16]:

Do not speak harshly to an older man, but speak to him as to a father, to younger men as brothers, to older women as mothers, to younger women as sisters—with absolute purity.

Honour widows who are really widows. If a widow has children or grandchildren, they should first learn their religious duty to their own family and make some repayment to their parents; for this is pleasing in God’s sight. The real widow, left alone, has set her hope on God and continues in supplications and prayers night and day; but the widow who lives for pleasure is dead even while she lives. Give these commands as well, so that they may be above reproach. And whoever does not provide for relatives, and especially for family members, has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.

Let a widow be put on the list if she is not less than sixty years old and has been married only once; she must be well attested for her good works, as one who has brought up children, shown hospitality, washed the saints’ feet, helped the afflicted, and devoted herself to doing good in every way. But refuse to put younger widows on the list; for when their sensual desires alienate them from Christ, they want to marry, and so they incur condemnation for having violated their first pledge. Besides that, they learn to be idle, gadding about from house to house; and they are not merely idle, but also gossips and busybodies, saying what they should not say. So I would have younger widows marry, bear children, and manage their households, so as to give the adversary no occasion to revile us. For some have already turned away to follow Satan. If any believing woman has relatives who are really widows, let her assist them; let the church not be burdened, so that it can assist those who are real widows.

In joy and hope we pray.

That our risen Savior may fill us with the joy
of his glorious and life-giving resurrection:
Lord, hear our prayer.

That isolated and persecuted churches
may find fresh strength in the good news of Easter:
Lord, hear our prayer.

That God may grant us humility
to be subject to one another in Christian love:
Lord, hear our prayer.

That God may help us to provide for those
who lack food, work or shelter:
Lord, hear our prayer.

That by God(s power we may bring
wars and famine to cease through all the world:
Lord, hear our prayer.

That God may strengthen us to be his presence
to the sick, the weak and the dying:
Lord, hear our prayer.

That God may send upon us the fire of the Holy Spirit,
that we may be faithful witness to his resurrection:
Lord, hear our prayer.

Holy and righteous God,
you are the author of life,
and you adopt us to be your children.
Fill us with your words of life,
that we may live as witnesses to the resurrection
of your Son, Jesus Christ, our Savior and Lord,

We pray you, O God,
that as your Son gave to the Venerable Bede
grace to drink in with joy the Word
that gives knowledge of you;
so in your goodness, you will grant us
to come at length to yourself, the source of all wisdom,
and to stand before you for ever;

Rejoicing in God's new creation,

As Christ burst forth from the tomb,
may new life burst forth from us
and show itself in acts of love and healing to a hurting world. Amen.

Bede was born in Northumbria around the year 670. When he was seven years old, his family gave him to the monastery of St Peter and St Paul at Wearmouth. He then moved to Jarrow, where he lived as a monk for the rest of his life. Although it seems he never travelled further than York, his monastery -- first under Abbot Benet Biscop and then Abbot Ceolfrith -- was a centre of learning, and Bede studied extensively. He used all the resources available to write the most complete history of Christian England up to the year 729, as well as commentaries on books of the Bible. He was renowned for his monastic fidelity and his love of teaching, and was fondly remembered by his pupils, including his biographer. He died peacefully in 735. [Exciting Holiness]