OREMUS: 23 May 2011

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun May 22 17:00:00 GMT 2011

OREMUS for May 23

Blessed are you, O God of majesty,
and blessed is Jesus Christ, your Son, our Lord,
whom you sent to save us.
He came with healing in his touch
and was wounded for our sins.
He came with mercy in his voice
and was mocked as one despised.
He came with peace in his heart
and met with violence and death.
By your power he broke free from the prison of the tomb,
and at his command the gates of hell were opened.
The one who was dead now lives.
For these and all your wondrous acts, we praise you:
Father, Son, and Holy Spirit:
Blessed be God for ever! Alleluia!

The Lord said to my lord, 'Sit at my right hand,*
 until I make your enemies your footstool.'
The Lord will send the sceptre of your power
   out of Zion,*
 saying, 'Rule over your enemies round about you.
'Princely state has been yours
   from the day of your birth,*
 in the beauty of holiness have I begotten you,
   like dew from the womb of the morning.'
The Lord has sworn and he will not recant:*
 'You are a priest for ever after the order of Melchizedek.'

   I will give thanks to the Lord with my whole heart,*
 in the assembly of the upright, in the congregation.
Great are the deeds of the Lord!*
 they are studied by all who delight in them.
His work is full of majesty and splendour,*
 and his righteousness endures for ever.
He makes his marvellous works to be remembered;*
 the Lord is gracious and full of compassion.
He gives food to those who fear him;*
 he is ever mindful of his covenant.
He has shown his people the power of his works*
 in giving them the lands of the nations.
The works of his hands are faithfulness and justice;*
 all his commandments are sure.
They stand fast for ever and ever,*
 because they are done in truth and equity.
He sent redemption to his people;
   he commanded his covenant for ever;*
 holy and awesome is his name.
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom;*
 those who act accordingly have a good understanding;
   his praise endures for ever.

   Happy are they who fear the Lord*
 and have great delight in his commandments!
Their descendants will be mighty in the land;*
 the generation of the upright will be blessed.
Wealth and riches will be in their house,*
 and their righteousness will last for ever.
Light shines in the darkness for the upright;*
 the righteous are merciful and full of compassion.
It is good for them to be generous in lending*
 and to manage their affairs with justice.
For they will never be shaken;*
 the righteous will be kept in everlasting remembrance.
They will not be afraid of any evil rumours;*
 their heart is right;
   they put their trust in the Lord.
Their heart is established and will not shrink,*
 until they see their desire upon their enemies.
They have given freely to the poor,*
 and their righteousness stands fast for ever;
   they will hold up their head with honour.
The wicked will see it and be angry;
   they will gnash their teeth and pine away;*
 the desires of the wicked will perish.

   Give praise, you servants of the Lord;*
 praise the name of the Lord.
Let the name of the Lord be blessed,*
 from this time forth for evermore.
>From the rising of the sun to its going down*
 let the name of the Lord be praised.
The Lord is high above all nations,*
 and his glory above the heavens.
Who is like the Lord our God,
   who sits enthroned on high,*
 but stoops to behold the heavens and the earth?
He takes up the weak out of the dust*
 and lifts up the poor from the ashes.
He sets them with the princes,*
 with the princes of his people.
He makes the woman of a childless house*
 to be a joyful mother of children.

FIRST READING [Job 6]:

Then Job answered:
'O that my vexation were weighed,
   and all my calamity laid in the balances!
For then it would be heavier than the sand of the sea;
   therefore my words have been rash.
For the arrows of the Almighty are in me;
   my spirit drinks their poison;
   the terrors of God are arrayed against me.
Does the wild ass bray over its grass,
   or the ox low over its fodder?
Can that which is tasteless be eaten without salt,
   or is there any flavour in the juice of mallows?
My appetite refuses to touch them;
   they are like food that is loathsome to me.

'O that I might have my request,
   and that God would grant my desire;
that it would please God to crush me,
   that he would let loose his hand and cut me off!
This would be my consolation;
   I would even exult in unrelenting pain;
   for I have not denied the words of the Holy One.
What is my strength, that I should wait?
   And what is my end, that I should be patient?
Is my strength the strength of stones,
   or is my flesh bronze?
In truth I have no help in me,
   and any resource is driven from me.

'Those who withhold kindness from a friend
   forsake the fear of the Almighty.
My companions are treacherous like a torrent-bed,
   like freshets that pass away,
that run dark with ice,
   turbid with melting snow.
In time of heat they disappear;
   when it is hot, they vanish from their place.
The caravans turn aside from their course;
   they go up into the waste, and perish.
The caravans of Tema look,
   the travellers of Sheba hope.
They are disappointed because they were confident;
   they come there and are confounded.
Such you have now become to me;
   you see my calamity, and are afraid.
Have I said, “Make me a gift”?
   Or, “From your wealth offer a bribe for me”?
Or, “Save me from an opponent's hand”?
   Or, “Ransom me from the hand of oppressors”?

'Teach me, and I will be silent;
   make me understand how I have gone wrong.
How forceful are honest words!
   But your reproof, what does it reprove?
Do you think that you can reprove words,
   as if the speech of the desperate were wind?
You would even cast lots over the orphan,
   and bargain over your friend.

'But now, be pleased to look at me;
   for I will not lie to your face.
Turn, I pray, let no wrong be done.
   Turn now, my vindication is at stake.
Is there any wrong on my tongue?
   Cannot my taste discern calamity?

HYMN
Words: Du unvergleichlich's Gut, Johann Scheffler (1624-1677) translated by John Wesley (1703-1791)
Tune: Ascendit Deus, Dresden

O God, of good the unfathomed sea!
Who would not give his heart to Thee?
Who would not love Thee with his might?
O Jesu, Lover of mankind,
Who would not his whole soul and mind,
With all his strength, to Thee unite?

Thou shinest with everlasting rays;
Before the insufferable blaze
Angels with both wings veil their eyes:
Yet free as air Thy bounty streams
On all Thy works; Thy mercy's beams
Diffusive as Thy sun's arise.

Astonished at Thy frowning brow,
Earth, hell, and heaven's strong pillars bow;
Terrible majesty is Thine.
Who then can that vast love express
Which bows Thee down to me, who less
Than nothing am, till Thou art mine?

High throned on heaven's eternal hill,
In number, weight, and measure still
Thou sweetly orderest all that is:
And yet Thou deignest to come to me,
And guide my steps, that I, with Thee
Enthroned, may reign in endless bliss.

Fountain of good! All blessing flows
>From Thee; no want Thy fullness knows:
What but Thyself canst Thou desire?
Yet, self-sufficient as Thou art,
Thou dost desire my worthless heart;
This, only this, dost Thou require.

Primeval Beauty! In Thy sight
The first-born, fairest sons of light
See all their brightest glories fade:
What then to me Thine eyes could turn-
In sin conceived, of woman born-
A worm, a leaf, a blast, a shade?

Hell's armies tremble at Thy nod,
And trembling own the Almighty God,
Sovereign of earth, hell, air, and sky:
But who is this that comes from far,
Whose garments rolled in blood appear?
'Tis God made Man, for man to die!

O God, of good the unfathomed sea!
Who would not give his heart to Thee?
Who would not love Thee with his might?
O Jesu, Lover of mankind,
Who would not his whole soul and mind,
With all his strength, to Thee unite?

SECOND READING [1 Timothy 3]:

The saying is sure: whoever aspires to the office of bishop desires a noble task. Now a bishop must be above reproach, married only once, temperate, sensible, respectable, hospitable, an apt teacher, not a drunkard, not violent but gentle, not quarrelsome, and not a lover of money. He must manage his own household well, keeping his children submissive and respectful in every way— for if someone does not know how to manage his own household, how can he take care of God's church? He must not be a recent convert, or he may be puffed up with conceit and fall into the condemnation of the devil. Moreover, he must be well thought of by outsiders, so that he may not fall into disgrace and the snare of the devil.

Deacons likewise must be serious, not double-tongued, not indulging in much wine, not greedy for money; they must hold fast to the mystery of the faith with a clear conscience. And let them first be tested; then, if they prove themselves blameless, let them serve as deacons. Women likewise must be serious, not slanderers, but temperate, faithful in all things. Let deacons be married only once, and let them manage their children and their households well; for those who serve well as deacons gain a good standing for themselves and great boldness in the faith that is in Christ Jesus.

I hope to come to you soon, but I am writing these instructions to you so that, if I am delayed, you may know how one ought to behave in the household of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and bulwark of the truth. Without any doubt, the mystery of our religion is great:
He was revealed in flesh,
   vindicated in spirit,
     seen by angels,
proclaimed among Gentiles,
   believed in throughout the world,
     taken up in glory.

To Christ, the Lamb who was slain,
and who now lives in the glory of the Father,
let us raise the voice of praise, saying:
Lord, have mercy.

Lord Jesus, you are the Amen, the faithful witness,
the first of God's creation:
Lord, have mercy

You are Alpha and Omega,
the one who is, and was, and who is to come:
Lord, have mercy

You search into the thoughts and affections
of all people:
Lord, have mercy

You reprove and chasten
those whom you love:
Lord, have mercy

You open the eyes of the blind
and set the prisoners free:
Lord, have mercy

In your paschal victory,
you have proclaimed the coming of the kingdom:
Lord, have mercy

God of the new fire,
and feasting at daybreak:
come to us
in the dullness of routine
and the pain of betrayal;
call to us
in the way of the cross
and the joy of resurrection;
through Jesus Christ, the Lamb of God. Amen.

Rejoicing in God's new creation,

As Christ burst forth from the tomb,
may new life burst forth from us
and show itself in acts of love and healing to a hurting world. Amen.

The opening prayer is reprinted by permission from _The Worship Sourcebook_, (c) 2004 CRC Publications. The collect is from _Prayers for an Inclusive Church_.