OREMUS: 16 May 2011

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun May 15 17:00:00 GMT 2011

OREMUS for May 16

Blessed are you, O God, worker of wonders,
you made us for joy and gladness.
Your risen Lord abides with us in our hearts,
opening the scriptures to us
and breaking bread in our midst.
He sets our hearts aflame and opens our eyes
that we may recognize him
and follow wherever he leads.
For these and all your wondrous acts, we praise you,
Father, Son, and Holy Spirit,
Blessed be God for ever! Alleluia!

O God, the heathen have come into your inheritance;
   they have profaned your holy temple;*
 they have made Jerusalem a heap of rubble.
They have given the bodies of your servants
   as food for the birds of the air,*
 and the flesh of your faithful ones
   to the beasts of the field.
They have shed their blood like water
   on every side of Jerusalem,*
 and there was no one to bury them.
We have become a reproach to our neighbours,*
 an object of scorn and derision to those around us.
How long will you be angry, O Lord?*
 will your fury blaze like fire for ever?
Pour out your wrath upon the heathen
   who have not known you*
 and upon the kingdoms
   that have not called upon your name.
For they have devoured Jacob*
 and made his dwelling a ruin.
Remember not our past sins;
   let your compassion be swift to meet us;*
 for we have been brought very low.
Help us, O God our Saviour, for the glory of your name;*
 deliver us and forgive us our sins, for your name's sake.     [
Why should the heathen say, 'Where is their God?'*
 Let it be known among the heathen and in our sight
   that you avenge the shedding
   of your servants' blood.]
Let the sorrowful sighing of the prisoners
   come before you,*
 and by your great might
   spare those who are condemned to die.     [
May the revilings with which
   they reviled you, O Lord,*
 return sevenfold into their bosoms.]
We are your people and the sheep of your pasture;*
 we will give you thanks for ever
   and show forth your praise from age to age.

Psalm 80

Hear, O Shepherd of Israel, leading Joseph like a flock;*
 shine forth, you that are enthroned upon the cherubim.
In the presence of Ephraim, Benjamin and Manasseh,*
 stir up your strength and come to help us.
Restore us, O God of hosts;*
 show the light of your countenance
   and we shall be saved.
O Lord God of hosts,*
 how long will you be angered
   despite the prayers of your people?
You have fed them with the bread of tears;*
 you have given them bowls of tears to drink.
You have made us the derision of our neighbours,*
 and our enemies laugh us to scorn.
Restore us, O God of hosts;*
 show the light of your countenance
   and we shall be saved.
You have brought a vine out of Egypt;*
 you cast out the nations and planted it.
You prepared the ground for it;*
 it took root and filled the land.
The mountains were covered by its shadow*
 and the towering cedar trees by its boughs.
You stretched out its tendrils to the Sea*
 and its branches to the River.
Why have you broken down its wall,*
 so that all who pass by pluck off its grapes?
The wild boar of the forest has ravaged it,*
 and the beasts of the field have grazed upon it.
Turn now, O God of hosts, look down from heaven;
   behold and tend this vine;*
 preserve what your right hand has planted.
They burn it with fire like rubbish;*
 at the rebuke of your countenance let them perish.
Let your hand be upon the man of your right hand,*
 the son of man you have made so strong for yourself.
And so will we never turn away from you;*
 give us life, that we may call upon your name.
Restore us, O Lord God of hosts;*
 show the light of your countenance
   and we shall be saved.

Psalm 81

Sing with joy to God our strength*
 and raise a loud shout to the God of Jacob.
Raise a song and sound the timbrel,*
 the merry harp and the lyre.
Blow the ram'shorn at the new moon,*
 and at the full moon, the day of our feast.
For this is a statute for Israel,*
 a law of the God of Jacob.
He laid it as a solemn charge upon Joseph,*
 when he came out of the land of Egypt.
I heard an unfamiliar voice saying,*
 'I eased his shoulder from the burden;
   his hands were set free from bearing the load.'
You called on me in trouble and I saved you;*
 I answered you from the secret place of thunder
   and tested you at the waters of Meribah.
Hear, O my people, and I will admonish you:*
 O Israel, if you would but listen to me!
There shall be no strange god among you;*
 you shall not worship a foreign god.
I am the Lord your God,
   who brought you out of the land of Egypt and said,*
 'Open your mouth wide and I will fill it.'
And yet my people did not hear my voice,*
 and Israel would not obey me.
So I gave them over to the stubbornness
   of their hearts,*
 to follow their own devices.
O that my people would listen to me!*
 that Israel would walk in my ways!
I should soon subdue their enemies*
 and turn my hand against their foes.
Those who hate the Lord would cringe before him,*
 and their punishment would last for ever.
But Israel would I feed with the finest wheat*
 and satisfy him with honey from the rock.

FIRST READING [Deuteronomy 33]:

This is the blessing with which Moses, the man of God, blessed the Israelites before his death. He said:
The Lord came from Sinai,
   and dawned from Seir upon us;
   he shone forth from Mount Paran.
With him were myriads of holy ones;
   at his right, a host of his own.
Indeed, O favourite among peoples,
   all his holy ones were in your charge;
they marched at your heels,
   accepted direction from you.
Moses charged us with the law,
   as a possession for the assembly of Jacob.
There arose a king in Jeshurun,
   when the leaders of the people assembled—
   the united tribes of Israel.

May Reuben live, and not die out,
   even though his numbers are few.

And this he said of Judah:
O Lord, give heed to Judah,
   and bring him to his people;
strengthen his hands for him,
   and be a help against his adversaries.

And of Levi he said:
Give to Levi your Thummim,
   and your Urim to your loyal one,
whom you tested at Massah,
   with whom you contended at the waters of Meribah;
who said of his father and mother,
   ‘I regard them not’;
he ignored his kin,
   and did not acknowledge his children.
For they observed your word,
   and kept your covenant.
They teach Jacob your ordinances,
   and Israel your law;
they place incense before you,
   and whole burnt-offerings on your altar.
Bless, O Lord, his substance,
   and accept the work of his hands;
crush the loins of his adversaries,
   of those that hate him, so that they do not rise again.

Of Benjamin he said:
The beloved of the Lord rests in safety—
the High God surrounds him all day long—
   the beloved rests between his shoulders.

And of Joseph he said:
Blessed by the Lord be his land,
   with the choice gifts of heaven above,
   and of the deep that lies beneath;
with the choice fruits of the sun,
   and the rich yield of the months;
with the finest produce of the ancient mountains,
   and the abundance of the everlasting hills;
with the choice gifts of the earth and its fullness,
   and the favour of the one who dwells on Sinai.
Let these come on the head of Joseph,
   on the brow of the prince among his brothers.
A firstborn bull—majesty is his!
   His horns are the horns of a wild ox;
with them he gores the peoples,
   driving them to the ends of the earth;
such are the myriads of Ephraim,
   such the thousands of Manasseh.

And of Zebulun he said:
Rejoice, Zebulun, in your going out;
   and Issachar, in your tents.
They call peoples to the mountain;
   there they offer the right sacrifices;
for they suck the affluence of the seas
   and the hidden treasures of the sand.

And of Gad he said:
Blessed be the enlargement of Gad!
   Gad lives like a lion;
   he tears at arm and scalp.
He chose the best for himself,
   for there a commander’s allotment was reserved;
he came at the head of the people,
   he executed the justice of the Lord,
   and his ordinances for Israel.

And of Dan he said:
Dan is a lion’s whelp
   that leaps forth from Bashan.

And of Naphtali he said:
O Naphtali, sated with favour,
   full of the blessing of the Lord,
   possess the west and the south.

And of Asher he said:
Most blessed of sons be Asher;
   may he be the favourite of his brothers,
   and may he dip his foot in oil.
Your bars are iron and bronze;
   and as your days, so is your strength.

There is none like God, O Jeshurun,
   who rides through the heavens to your help,
   majestic through the skies.
He subdues the ancient gods,
   shatters the forces of old;
he drove out the enemy before you,
   and said, ‘Destroy!’
So Israel lives in safety,
   untroubled is Jacob’s abode
in a land of grain and wine,
   where the heavens drop down dew.
Happy are you, O Israel! Who is like you,
   a people saved by the Lord,
the shield of your help,
   and the sword of your triumph!
Your enemies shall come fawning to you,
   and you shall tread on their backs.

HYMN
Words: Philip Doddridge (1702-1751)
Tune: St Ethelwald

Now to that sovereign grace,
Whence all our comforts spring,
Let the whole new begotten race
Their cheerful praises bring.

His will first made the choice;
His word the change hath wrought;
In Him, our Father, we rejoice,
By Whom our hearts are taught.

Lord, may this matchless love,
Which Thy own children see,
Make our affections soar above
With fruitfulness to Thee.

Sacred to Thee alone
Be all these powers of mine,
Then in the noblest sense my own,
When most entirely Thine.

SECOND READING [1 John 3.1–10]:

See what love the Father has given us, that we should be called children of God; and that is what we are. The reason the world does not know us is that it did not know him. Beloved, we are God’s children now; what we will be has not yet been revealed. What we do know is this: when he is revealed, we will be like him, for we will see him as he is. And all who have this hope in him purify themselves, just as he is pure.

Everyone who commits sin is guilty of lawlessness; sin is lawlessness. You know that he was revealed to take away sins, and in him there is no sin. No one who abides in him sins; no one who sins has either seen him or known him. Little children, let no one deceive you. Everyone who does what is right is righteous, just as he is righteous. Everyone who commits sin is a child of the devil; for the devil has been sinning from the beginning. The Son of God was revealed for this purpose, to destroy the works of the devil. Those who have been born of God do not sin, because God’s seed abides in them; they cannot sin, because they have been born of God. The children of God and the children of the devil are revealed in this way: all who do not do what is right are not from God, nor are those who do not love their brothers and sisters.

O Christ, in your resurrection,
the heavens and the earth rejoice:
Alleluia!

By your resurrection you broke open the gates of hell,
and destroyed sin and death.
Keep us victorious over sin.

By your resurrection you raised the dead,
and brought us from death to life.
Guide us in the way of eternal life.

By your resurrection you confounded your guards and executioners,
and filled the disciples with joy.
Give us joy in your service.

By your resurrection you proclaimed good news to the women and apostles,
and brought salvation to the whole world.
Direct our lives as your new creation.

By your resurrection you give new life to your people, the Church.
Send us out to do the work you have given us to do.

O God our shepherd,
you know your sheep by name
and lead us to safety through the valleys of death.
Guide us by your voice,
that we may walk with certainty and security
to the joyous feast prepared in your house,
through Jesus Christ, our Savior and Lord,<BR

Rejoicing in God's new creation,

Increase our love for one another,
that both in name and in truth
we may be disciples of the risen Lord Jesus,
and so reflect by our lives
the glory that is yours. Amen.

- The Lord's Prayer

God of power,
may the boldness of your Spirit transform us,
may the gentleness of your Spirit lead us,
and may the gifts of your Spirit equip us
to serve and worship you now and always. Amen.