OREMUS: 15 May 2011

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat May 14 18:20:19 GMT 2011

OREMUS for May 15

Blessed are you, eternal God,
we praise you that your glory has dawned on us,
and brought us to resurrection life.
We rejoice that the grave could not hold your Son,
that he has conquered death,
and summons us daily into new life,
to follow him with joy and gladness.
For these and all your wondrous acts, we praise you,
Father, Son, and Holy Spirit,
Blessed be God for ever! Alleluia!

We give you thanks, O God, we give you thanks,*
 calling upon your name
   and declaring all your wonderful deeds.
'I will appoint a time,' says God;*
 'I will judge with equity.
'Though the earth and all its inhabitants are quaking,*
 I will make its pillars fast.
'I will say to the boasters, "Boast no more",*
 and to the wicked, "Do not toss your horns;
'"Do not toss your horns so high,*
 nor speak with a proud neck."'
For judgement is neither from the east
   nor from the west,*
 nor yet from the wilderness or the mountains.
It is God who judges;*
 he puts down one and lifts up another.
For in the Lord's hand there is a cup,
   full of spiced and foaming wine, which he pours out,*
 and all the wicked of the earth
   shall drink and drain the dregs.
But I will rejoice for ever;*
 I will sing praises to the God of Jacob.
He shall break off all the horns of the wicked;*
 but the horns of the righteous shall be exalted.

Psalm 76

In Judah is God known;*
 his name is great in Israel.
At Salem is his tabernacle,*
 and his dwelling is in Zion.
There he broke the flashing arrows,*
 the shield, the sword and the weapons of battle.
How glorious you are!*
 more splendid than the everlasting mountains!
The strong of heart have been despoiled;
   they sink into sleep;*
 none of the warriors can lift a hand.
At your rebuke, O God of Jacob,*
 both horse and rider lie stunned.
What terror you inspire!*
 who can stand before you when you are angry?
>From heaven you pronounced judgement;*
 the earth was afraid and was still;
When God rose up to judgement*
 and to save all the oppressed of the earth.
Truly, wrathful Edom will give you thanks,*
 and the remnant of Hamath will keep your feasts.
Make a vow to the Lord your God and keep it;*
 let all around him bring gifts
   to him who is worthy to be feared.
He breaks the spirit of princes,*
 and strikes terror in the kings of the earth.

Psalm 77

I will cry aloud to God;*
 I will cry aloud and he will hear me.
In the day of my trouble I sought the Lord;*
 my hands were stretched out by night and did not tire;
   I refused to be comforted.
I think of God, I am restless,*
 I ponder and my spirit faints.
You will not let my eyelids close;*
 I am troubled and I cannot speak.
I consider the days of old;*
 I remember the years long past;
I commune with my heart in the night;*
 I ponder and search my mind.
Will the Lord cast me off for ever?*
 will he no more show his favour?
Has his lovingkindness come to an end for ever?*
 has his promise failed for evermore?
Has God forgotten to be gracious?*
 has he, in his anger, withheld his compassion?
And I said, 'My grief is this:*
 the right hand of the Most High has lost its power.'
I will remember the works of the Lord,*
 and call to mind your wonders of old time.
I will meditate on all your acts*
 and ponder your mighty deeds.
Your way, O God, is holy;*
 who is so great a god as our God?
You are the God who works wonders*
 and have declared your power among the peoples.
By your strength you have redeemed your people,*
 the children of Jacob and Joseph.
The waters saw you, O God;
   the waters saw you and trembled;*
 the very depths were shaken.
The clouds poured out water; the skies thundered;*
 your arrows flashed to and fro;
The sound of your thunder was in the whirlwind;
   your lightnings lit up the world;*
 the earth trembled and shook.
Your way was in the sea,
   and your paths in the great waters,*
 yet your footsteps were not seen.
You led your people like a flock*
 by the hand of Moses and Aaron.

FIRST READING [Deuteronomy 32.15–47]:

Jacob ate his fill;
   Jeshurun grew fat, and kicked.
   You grew fat, bloated, and gorged!
He abandoned God who made him,
   and scoffed at the Rock of his salvation.
They made him jealous with strange gods,
   with abhorrent things they provoked him.
They sacrificed to demons, not God,
   to deities they had never known,
to new ones recently arrived,
   whom your ancestors had not feared.
You were unmindful of the Rock that bore you;
   you forgot the God who gave you birth.

The Lord saw it, and was jealous;
   he spurned his sons and daughters.
He said: I will hide my face from them,
   I will see what their end will be;
for they are a perverse generation,
   children in whom there is no faithfulness.
They made me jealous with what is no god,
   provoked me with their idols.
So I will make them jealous with what is no people,
   provoke them with a foolish nation.
For a fire is kindled by my anger,
   and burns to the depths of Sheol;
it devours the earth and its increase,
   and sets on fire the foundations of the mountains.
I will heap disasters upon them,
   spend my arrows against them:
wasting hunger,
   burning consumption,
   bitter pestilence.
The teeth of beasts I will send against them,
   with venom of things crawling in the dust.
In the street the sword shall bereave,
   and in the chambers terror,
for young man and woman alike,
   nursing child and old grey head.
I thought to scatter them
   and blot out the memory of them from humankind;
but I feared provocation by the enemy,
   for their adversaries might misunderstand
and say, ‘Our hand is triumphant;
   it was not the Lord who did all this.’

They are a nation void of sense;
   there is no understanding in them.
If they were wise, they would understand this;
   they would discern what the end would be.
How could one have routed a thousand,
   and two put a myriad to flight,
unless their Rock had sold them,
   the Lord had given them up?
Indeed their rock is not like our Rock;
   our enemies are fools.
Their vine comes from the vine-stock of Sodom,
   from the vineyards of Gomorrah;
their grapes are grapes of poison,
   their clusters are bitter;
their wine is the poison of serpents,
   the cruel venom of asps.

Is not this laid up in store with me,
   sealed up in my treasuries?
Vengeance is mine, and recompense,
   for the time when their foot shall slip;
because the day of their calamity is at hand,
   their doom comes swiftly.

Indeed the Lord will vindicate his people,
   have compassion on his servants,
when he sees that their power is gone,
   neither bond nor free remaining.
Then he will say: Where are their gods,
   the rock in which they took refuge,
who ate the fat of their sacrifices,
   and drank the wine of their libations?
Let them rise up and help you,
   let them be your protection!

See now that I, even I, am he;
   there is no god besides me.
I kill and I make alive;
   I wound and I heal;
   and no one can deliver from my hand.
For I lift up my hand to heaven,
   and swear: As I live for ever,
when I whet my flashing sword,
   and my hand takes hold on judgement;
I will take vengeance on my adversaries,
   and will repay those who hate me.
I will make my arrows drunk with blood,
   and my sword shall devour flesh—
with the blood of the slain and the captives,
   from the long-haired enemy.

Praise, O heavens, his people,
   worship him, all you gods!
For he will avenge the blood of his children,
   and take vengeance on his adversaries;
he will repay those who hate him,
   and cleanse the land for his people.

Moses came and recited all the words of this song in the hearing of the people, he and Joshua son of Nun. When Moses had finished reciting all these words to all Israel, he said to them: ‘Take to heart all the words that I am giving in witness against you today; give them as a command to your children, so that they may diligently observe all the words of this law. This is no trifling matter for you, but rather your very life; through it you may live long in the land that you are crossing over the Jordan to possess.’

HYMN
Words: Thomas Hornblower Gill (1819-1906)
Tune: Luther (87 87 887)

We come unto our fathers' God;
their Rock is our salvation:
the eternal arms, their dear abode,
we make our habitation:
we bring thee, Lord, the praise they brought;
we seek thee, as thy saints have sought
in every generation.

The fire divine, their steps that led,
still goeth bright before us;
the heavenly shield around them spread
is still high holden o'er us;
the grace those sinners that subdued,
the strength those weaklings that renewed
doth vanquish, doth restore us.

The cleaving sins that brought them low
are still our souls oppressing;
the tears that from their eyes did flow
fall fast, our shame confessing;
as with thee, Lord, prevailed their cry,
so our strong prayer ascends on high
and bringeth down thy blessing.

Their joy unto their Lord we bring;
their song to us descendeth;
the Spirit who in them did sing
to us his music lendeth:
his song in them, in us, as one;
we raise it high, we send it on,
the song that never endeth.

Ye saints to come, take up the strain,
the same sweet theme endeavour;
unbroken be the golden chain,
keep on the song for ever;
safe in the same dear dwelling-place,
rich with the same eternal grace,
bless the same boundless giver.

SECOND READING [1 John 2.7–end]:

Beloved, I am writing you no new commandment, but an old commandment that you have had from the beginning; the old commandment is the word that you have heard. Yet I am writing you a new commandment that is true in him and in you, because the darkness is passing away and the true light is already shining. Whoever says, 'I am in the light', while hating a brother or sister, is still in the darkness. Whoever loves a brother or sister lives in the light, and in such a person there is no cause for stumbling. But whoever hates another believer is in the darkness, walks in the darkness, and does not know the way to go, because the darkness has brought on blindness.
I am writing to you, little children,
   because your sins are forgiven on account of his name.
I am writing to you, fathers,
   because you know him who is from the beginning.
I am writing to you, young people,
   because you have conquered the evil one.
I write to you, children,
   because you know the Father.
I write to you, fathers,
   because you know him who is from the beginning.
I write to you, young people,
   because you are strong
   and the word of God abides in you,
     and you have overcome the evil one.

Do not love the world or the things in the world. The love of the Father is not in those who love the world; for all that is in the world—the desire of the flesh, the desire of the eyes, the pride in riches—comes not from the Father but from the world. And the world and its desire are passing away, but those who do the will of God live for ever.

Children, it is the last hour! As you have heard that antichrist is coming, so now many antichrists have come. From this we know that it is the last hour. They went out from us, but they did not belong to us; for if they had belonged to us, they would have remained with us. But by going out they made it plain that none of them belongs to us. But you have been anointed by the Holy One, and all of you have knowledge. I write to you, not because you do not know the truth, but because you know it, and you know that no lie comes from the truth. Who is the liar but the one who denies that Jesus is the Christ? This is the antichrist, the one who denies the Father and the Son. No one who denies the Son has the Father; everyone who confesses the Son has the Father also. Let what you heard from the beginning abide in you. If what you heard from the beginning abides in you, then you will abide in the Son and in the Father. And this is what he has promised us, eternal life.

I write these things to you concerning those who would deceive you. As for you, the anointing that you received from him abides in you, and so you do not need anyone to teach you. But as his anointing teaches you about all things, and is true and is not a lie, and just as it has taught you, abide in him.
 And now, little children, abide in him, so that when he is revealed we may have confidence and not be put to shame before him at his coming.
 If you know that he is righteous, you may be sure that everyone who does right has been born of him.

In joy and hope we pray.

That our risen Savior may fill us with the joy
of his glorious and life-giving resurrection:
Lord, hear our prayer.

That isolated and persecuted churches
may find fresh strength in the good news of Easter:
Lord, hear our prayer.

That God may grant us humility
to be subject to one another in Christian love:
Lord, hear our prayer.

That God may help us to provide for those
who lack food, work or shelter:
Lord, hear our prayer.

That by God(s power we may bring
wars and famine to cease through all the world:
Lord, hear our prayer.

That God may strengthen us to be his presence
to the sick, the weak and the dying:
Lord, hear our prayer.

That God may send upon us the fire of the Holy Spirit,
that we may be faithful witness to his resurrection:
Lord, hear our prayer.

Holy and righteous God,
you are the author of life,
and you adopt us to be your children.
Fill us with your words of life,
that we may live as witnesses to the resurrection
of your Son, Jesus Christ, our Savior and Lord,

Rejoicing in God's new creation,

As Christ burst forth from the tomb,
may new life burst forth from us
and show itself in acts of love and healing to a hurting world. Amen.