OREMUS: 14 May 2011

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri May 13 17:00:00 GMT 2011

OREMUS for May 14
Saint Matthias the Apostle

Blessed are you, almighty God,
for your Son, our Lord Jesus Christ,
who established the Church
upon the foundation of the apostles,
through whom we have received the Good News
and come to know the mystery of salvation.

In you, O Lord, have I taken refuge;*
 let me never be ashamed.
In your righteousness, deliver me and set me free;*
 incline your ear to me and save me.
Be my strong rock, a castle to keep me safe;*
 you are my crag and my stronghold.
Deliver me, my God, from the hand of the wicked,*
 from the clutches of the evildoer and the oppressor.
For you are my hope, O Lord God,*
 my confidence since I was young.
I have been sustained by you ever since I was born;
   from my mother's womb you have been my strength;*
 my praise shall be always of you.
I have become a portent to many;*
 but you are my refuge and my strength.
Let my mouth be full of your praise*
 and your glory all the day long.
Do not cast me off in my old age;*
 forsake me not when my strength fails.
For my enemies are talking against me,*
 and those who lie in wait for my life
   take counsel together.
They say, 'God has forsaken him;
   go after him and seize him;*
 because there is none who will save.'
O God, be not far from me;*
 come quickly to help me, O my God.
Let those who set themselves against me
   be put to shame and be disgraced;*
 let those who seek to do me evil
   be covered with scorn and reproach.
But I shall always wait in patience,*
 and shall praise you more and more.
My mouth shall recount your mighty acts
   and saving deeds all day long;*
 though I cannot know the number of them.
I will begin with the mighty works of the Lord God;*
 I will recall your righteousness, yours alone.
O God, you have taught me since I was young,*
 and to this day I tell of your wonderful works.
And now that I am old and greyheaded, O God,
   do not forsake me,*
 till I make known your strength to this generation
   and your power to all who are to come.
Your righteousness, O God, reaches to the heavens;*
 you have done great things; who is like you, O God?
You have showed me great troubles and adversities,*
 but you will restore my life and bring me up again
   from the deep places of the earth.
You strengthen me more and more;*
 you enfold and comfort me,
Therefore I will praise you upon the lyre
   for your faithfulness, O my God;*
 I will sing to you with the harp, O Holy One of Israel.
My lips will sing with joy when I play to you,*
 and so will my soul, which you have redeemed.
My tongue will proclaim your righteousness all day long,*
 for they are ashamed and disgraced
   who sought to do me harm.

Psalm 72

Give the king your justice, O God,*
 and your righteousness to the king's son;
That he may rule your people righteously*
 and the poor with justice;
That the mountains may bring prosperity to the people,*
 and the little hills bring righteousness.
He shall defend the needy among the people;*
 he shall rescue the poor and crush the oppressor.
He shall live as long as the sun and moon endure,*
 from one generation to another.
He shall come down like rain upon the mown field,*
 like showers that water the earth.
In his time shall the righteous flourish;*
 there shall be abundance of peace
   till the moon shall be no more.
He shall rule from sea to sea,*
 and from the River to the ends of the earth.
His foes shall bow down before him,*
 and his enemies lick the dust.
The kings of Tarshish and of the isles shall pay tribute,*
 and the kings of Arabia and Saba offer gifts.
All kings shall bow down before him,*
 and all the nations do him service.
For he shall deliver the poor who cries out in distress,*
 and the oppressed who has no helper.
He shall have pity on the lowly and poor;*
 he shall preserve the lives of the needy.
He shall redeem their lives from oppression and violence,*
 and dear shall their blood be in his sight.
Long may he live,
   and may there be given to him gold from Arabia;*
 may prayer be made for him always,
   and may they bless him all the day long.
May there be abundance of grain on the earth,
   growing thick even on the hilltops;*
 may its fruit flourish like Lebanon,
   and its grain like grass upon the earth.
May his name remain for ever
   and be established as long as the sun endures;*
 may all the nations bless themselves in him
   and call him blessed.
Blessed be the Lord God, the God of Israel,*
 who alone does wondrous deeds!
And blessed be his glorious name for ever!*
 and may all the earth be filled with his glory.
   Amen. Amen.

FIRST READING [Deuteronomy 31.30–32.14]:

 Then Moses recited the words of this song, to the very end, in the hearing of the whole assembly of Israel:
Give ear, O heavens, and I will speak;
   let the earth hear the words of my mouth.
May my teaching drop like the rain,
   my speech condense like the dew;
like gentle rain on grass,
   like showers on new growth.
For I will proclaim the name of the Lord;
   ascribe greatness to our God!

The Rock, his work is perfect,
   and all his ways are just.
A faithful God, without deceit,
   just and upright is he;
yet his degenerate children have dealt falsely with him,
   a perverse and crooked generation.
Do you thus repay the Lord,
   O foolish and senseless people?
Is not he your father, who created you,
   who made you and established you?
Remember the days of old,
   consider the years long past;
ask your father, and he will inform you;
   your elders, and they will tell you.
When the Most High apportioned the nations,
   when he divided humankind,
he fixed the boundaries of the peoples
   according to the number of the gods;
the Lord’s own portion was his people,
   Jacob his allotted share.

He sustained him in a desert land,
   in a howling wilderness waste;
he shielded him, cared for him,
   guarded him as the apple of his eye.
As an eagle stirs up its nest,
   and hovers over its young;
as it spreads its wings, takes them up,
   and bears them aloft on its pinions,
the Lord alone guided him;
   no foreign god was with him.
He set him upon the heights of the land,
   and fed him with produce of the field;
he nursed him with honey from the crags,
   with oil from flinty rock;
curds from the herd, and milk from the flock,
   with fat of lambs and rams;
Bashan bulls and goats,
   together with the choicest wheat—
   you drank fine wine from the blood of grapes.

HYMN
Words: Gerard Moultrie (1829-1885)
Tune: Sherbourne

Bishop of the souls of men,
when the foeman's step is nigh,
when the wolf lays wait by night
for the lambs continually,
watch, O Lord, about us keep,
guard us, Shepherd of the sheep.

When the hireling flees away,
caring only for his gold,
and the gate unguarded stands
at the entrance to the fold,
stand, O Lord, thy flock before,
thou the Guardian, thou the Door.

Lord, whose guiding finger ruled
in the casting of the lot,
that thy Church might fill the throne
of the lost Iscariot,
in our trouble ever thus
stand, good Master, nigh to us.

When the saints their order take
in the new Jerusalem,
and Matthias stands elect,
give us part and lot with him,
where in thine own dwelling-place
we may witness face to face.

SECOND READING [Acts 1:15-26]:

In those days Peter stood up among the believers
(together the crowd numbered about one hundred and twenty
people) and said, 'Friends, the scripture had to be
fulfilled, which the Holy Spirit through David foretold
concerning Judas, who became a guide for those who
arrested Jesus  for he was numbered among us and was
allotted his share in this ministry.' (Now this man
acquired a field with the reward of his wickedness; and
falling headlong,  he burst open in the middle and all
his bowels gushed out. This became known to all the
residents of Jerusalem, so that the field was called in
their language Hakeldama, that is, Field of Blood.) 'For
it is written in the book of Psalms,
"Let his homestead become desolate,
   and let there be no one to live in it";
and
"Let another take his position of overseer."
So one of the men who have accompanied us throughout the
time that the Lord Jesus went in and out among us,
beginning from the baptism of John until the day when he
was taken up from us one of these must become a witness
with us to his resurrection.' So they proposed two,
Joseph called Barsabbas, who was also known as Justus,
and Matthias. Then they prayed and said, 'Lord, you know
everyone's heart. Show us which one of these two you have
chosen to take the place in this ministry and apostleship
from which Judas turned aside to go to his own place.'
And they cast lots for them, and the lot fell on
Matthias; and he was added to the eleven apostles.

Let us pray to God,
whose word was entrusted to the Apostles
and has spread to all the world.

Empower your Church
to proclaim the saving message of Jesus Christ.
Lord of mercy,
spread your word.

Give us courage and strength
to spread the Gospel in places
where it has not been preached.
Lord of mercy,
spread your word.

Bless us in our personal lives
that we may live fully according to Jesus' example.
Lord of mercy,
spread your word.

Open our eyes to your Word in the Holy Scriptures
that we find new paths of understanding.
Lord of mercy,
spread your word.

Remember, in your mercy, those who have gone before
marked with the sign of faith and led by the Gospel.
Lord of mercy,
spread your word.

Feed your people, O Lord,
with your holy Word
and free us from the temptations
which lead us away from you
that, being filled with your mercy,
we may be admitted to your holy presence;

who in the place of Judas chose your faithful servant Matthias
to be numbered among the Twelve:
Grant that your Church, being delivered from false apostles,
may always be guided and governed by faithful and true pastors;

Rejoicing in God's new creation,

Open the eyes of our faith,
that we may see your redeeming work, O Lord. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is adapted from
_Common Worship: Services and Prayers for the Church of
(c) The Archbishops' Council, 2000.