OREMUS: 13 May 2011

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu May 12 17:00:00 GMT 2011

OREMUS for May 13

Blessed are you, O God of majesty,
and blessed is Jesus Christ, your Son, our Lord,
whom you sent to save us.
He came with healing in his touch
and was wounded for our sins.
He came with mercy in his voice
and was mocked as one despised.
He came with peace in his heart
and met with violence and death.
By your power he broke free from the prison of the tomb,
and at his command the gates of hell were opened.
The one who was dead now lives.
For these and all your wondrous acts, we praise you:
Father, Son, and Holy Spirit:
Blessed be God for ever! Alleluia!

Psalm 68 [CCP]

Let God arise and let his enemies be scattered;*
 let those who hate him flee before him.
Let them vanish like smoke
   when the wind drives it away;*
 as the wax melts at the fire,
   so let the wicked perish at the presence of God.
But let the righteous be glad and rejoice before God;*
 let them also be merry and joyful.
Sing to God, sing praises to his name;
   exalt him who rides upon the heavens;*
 Yahweh is his name, rejoice before him!
Father of orphans, defender of widows,*
 God in his holy habitation!
God gives the solitary a home

   and brings forth prisoners into freedom;*
 but the rebels shall live in dry places.
O God, when you went forth before your people,*
 when you marched through the wilderness,
The earth shook and the skies poured down rain,
   at the presence of God, the God of Sinai,*
 at the presence of God, the God of Israel.
You sent a gracious rain, O God, upon your inheritance;*
 you refreshed the land when it was weary.
Your people found their home in it;*
 in your goodness, O God,
   you have made provision for the poor.
The Lord gave the word;*
 great was the company of women who bore the tidings:
'Kings with their armies are fleeing away;*
 the women at home are dividing the spoils.'
Though you lingered among the sheepfolds,*
 you shall be like a dove
   whose wings are covered with silver,
   whose feathers are like green gold.
When the Almighty scattered kings,*
 it was like snow falling in Zalmon.
O mighty mountain, O hill of Bashan!*
 O rugged mountain, O hill of Bashan!
Why do you look with envy, O rugged mountain,
   at the hill which God chose for his resting place?*
 truly, the Lord will dwell there for ever.
The chariots of God are twenty thousand,
   even thousands of thousands;*
 the Lord comes in holiness from Sinai.
You have gone up on high and led captivity captive;
   you have received gifts even from your enemies,*
 that the Lord God might dwell among them.
Blessed be the Lord day by day,*
 the God of our salvation, who bears our burdens.
He is our God, the God of our salvation;*
 God is the Lord, by whom we escape death.
Your procession is seen, O God,*
 your procession into the sanctuary, my God and my King.
The singers go before, musicians follow after,*
 in the midst of maidens playing upon the handdrums.
Bless God in the congregation;*
 bless the Lord, you that are of the fountain of Israel.
There is Benjamin, least of the tribes, at the head;
   the princes of Judah in a company;*
 and the princes of Zebulon and Naphtali.
Send forth your strength, O God;*
 establish, O God, what you have wrought for us.
Kings shall bring gifts to you,*
 for your temple's sake at Jerusalem.
Rebuke the wild beast of the reeds,*
 and the peoples, a herd of wild bulls with its calves.
Trample down those who lust after silver;*
 scatter the peoples that delight in war.
Let tribute be brought out of Egypt;*
 let Ethiopia stretch out her hands to God.
Sing to God, O kingdoms of the earth;*
 sing praises to the Lord.
He rides in the heavens, the ancient heavens;*
 he sends forth his voice, his mighty voice.
Ascribe power to God;*
 his majesty is over Israel;
   his strength is in the skies.
How wonderful is God in his holy places!*
 the God of Israel giving strength and power to his people!
   Blessed be God!

FIRST READING [Deuteronomy 31.14–29]:

The Lord said to Moses, 'Your time to die is near; call Joshua and present yourselves in the tent of meeting, so that I may commission him.' So Moses and Joshua went and presented themselves in the tent of meeting, and the Lord appeared at the tent in a pillar of cloud; the pillar of cloud stood at the entrance to the tent.

The Lord said to Moses, 'Soon you will lie down with your ancestors. Then this people will begin to prostitute themselves to the foreign gods in their midst, the gods of the land into which they are going; they will forsake me, breaking my covenant that I have made with them. My anger will be kindled against them on that day. I will forsake them and hide my face from them; they will become easy prey, and many terrible troubles will come upon them. On that day they will say, “Have not these troubles come upon us because our God is not in our midst?” On that day I will surely hide my face on account of all the evil they have done by turning to other gods. Now therefore write this song, and teach it to the Israelites; put it in their mouths, in order that this song may be a witness for me against the Israelites. For when I have brought them into the land flowing with milk and honey, which I promised on oath to their ancestors, and they have eaten their fill and grown fat, they will turn to other gods and serve them, despising me and breaking my covenant. And when many terrible troubles come upon them, this song will confront them as a witness, because it will not be lost from the mouths of their descendants. For I know what they are inclined to do even now, before I have brought them into the land that I promised them on oath.' That very day Moses wrote this song and taught it to the Israelites.

Then the Lord commissioned Joshua son of Nun and said, 'Be strong and bold, for you shall bring the Israelites into the land that I promised them; I will be with you.'

When Moses had finished writing down in a book the words of this law to the very end, Moses commanded the Levites who carried the ark of the covenant of the Lord, saying, 'Take this book of the law and put it beside the ark of the covenant of the Lord your God; let it remain there as a witness against you. For I know well how rebellious and stubborn you are. If you already have been so rebellious towards the Lord while I am still alive among you, how much more after my death! Assemble to me all the elders of your tribes and your officials, so that I may recite these words in their hearing and call heaven and earth to witness against them. For I know that after my death you will surely act corruptly, turning aside from the way that I have commanded you. In time to come trouble will befall you, because you will do what is evil in the sight of the Lord, provoking him to anger through the work of your hands.'

HYMN
Words: Andrew E Pratt (born 1948) © 1999 Stainer & Bell Ltd
Tune: Birabus

Hidden God, I long to see you,
long to hear your voice;
here amid the haste and hurry,
need a reason to rejoice.

More than just this global grounding,
more than just a home,
far beyond the raging river,
far beyond this fazing foam.

Blinding light of realisation,
long to catch a trace;
source, and end, of contemplation,
long to sense your saving grace.

But, if I should never glimpse you
help me to go on;
give me hope and motivation
still to sing with heaven's song.

SECOND READING [1 John 1.1–2.6]:

We declare to you what was from the beginning, what we have heard, what we have seen with our eyes, what we have looked at and touched with our hands, concerning the word of life— this life was revealed, and we have seen it and testify to it, and declare to you the eternal life that was with the Father and was revealed to us— we declare to you what we have seen and heard so that you also may have fellowship with us; and truly our fellowship is with the Father and with his Son Jesus Christ. We are writing these things so that our joy may be complete.

This is the message we have heard from him and proclaim to you, that God is light and in him there is no darkness at all. If we say that we have fellowship with him while we are walking in darkness, we lie and do not do what is true; but if we walk in the light as he himself is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus his Son cleanses us from all sin. If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he who is faithful and just will forgive us our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous; and he is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the sins of the whole world.
 Now by this we may be sure that we know him, if we obey his commandments. Whoever says, 'I have come to know him', but does not obey his commandments, is a liar, and in such a person the truth does not exist; but whoever obeys his word, truly in this person the love of God has reached perfection. By this we may be sure that we are in him: whoever says, 'I abide in him', ought to walk just as he walked.

To Christ, the Lamb who was slain,
and who now lives in the glory of the Father,
let us raise the voice of praise, saying:
Lord, have mercy.

Lord Jesus, you are the Amen, the faithful witness,
the first of God's creation:
Lord, have mercy

You are Alpha and Omega,
the one who is, and was, and who is to come:
Lord, have mercy

You search into the thoughts and affections
of all people:
Lord, have mercy

You reprove and chasten
those whom you love:
Lord, have mercy

You open the eyes of the blind
and set the prisoners free:
Lord, have mercy

In your paschal victory,
you have proclaimed the coming of the kingdom:
Lord, have mercy

Eternal giver of life and light,
the world shines with the radiance of the risen Christ.
Renew your church with the Spirit given us in baptism,
that we may worship you in sincerity and truth
and may shine as a light in the world,
through your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord,
one God, now and forever. Amen.

Rejoicing in God's new creation,

As Christ burst forth from the tomb,
may new life burst forth from us
and show itself in acts of love and healing to a hurting world. Amen.

The opening prayer is reprinted by permission from _The Worship Sourcebook_, (c) 2004 CRC Publications. The collect is from _Evangelical Lutheran Worship_, (c) 2006 Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.