OREMUS: 10 March 2011

Simon Kershaw simon.kershaw at oremus.org
Wed Mar 9 17:00:00 GMT 2011

OREMUS for Thursday, 10 March 2011

Blessed are you, eternal God,
creator and ruler of the universe.
You are our God,
and we are the creatures of your hand.
You made us from the dust of the earth,
breathed into us the breath of life,
and set us in your world to love and serve you.
When we rejected your love
and ignored your wisdom.
you did not reject us.
You loved us still
and call us again and again to turn to you
in obedience and in love.

http://www.oremus.org/lentocan.html

Psalm 93

The Lord is king; he has put on splendid apparel;*
 the Lord has put on his apparel
   and girded himself with strength.
He has made the whole world so sure*
 that it cannot be moved;
Ever since the world began,
   your throne has been established;*
 you are from everlasting.
The waters have lifted up, O Lord,
   the waters have lifted up their voice;*
 the waters have lifted up their pounding waves.
Mightier than the sound of many waters,
   mightier than the breakers of the sea,*
 mightier is the Lord who dwells on high.
Your testimonies are very sure,*
 and holiness adorns your house, O Lord,
   for ever and for evermore.

Psalm 94

O Lord God of vengeance,*
 O God of vengeance, show yourself.
Rise up, O Judge of the world;*
 give the arrogant their just deserts.
How long shall the wicked, O Lord,*
 how long shall the wicked triumph?
They bluster in their insolence;*
 all evildoers are full of boasting.
They crush your people, O Lord,*
 and afflict your chosen nation.
They murder the widow and the stranger*
 and put the orphans to death.
Yet they say, 'The Lord does not see,*
 the God of Jacob takes no notice.'
Consider well, you dullards among the people;*
 when will you fools understand?
He that planted the ear, does he not hear?*
 he that formed the eye, does he not see?
He who admonishes the nations, will he not punish?*
 he who teaches all the world, has he no knowledge?
The Lord knows our human thoughts;*
 how like a puff of wind they are.
Happy are they whom you instruct, O Lord!*
 whom you teach out of your law;
To give them rest in evil days,*
 until a pit is dug for the wicked.
For the Lord will not abandon his people,*
 nor will he forsake his own.
For judgement will again be just,*
 and all the true of heart will follow it.
Who rose up for me against the wicked?*
 who took my part against the evildoers?
If the Lord had not come to my help,*
 I should soon have dwelt in the land of silence.
As often as I said, 'My foot has slipped',*
 your love, O Lord, upheld me.
When many cares fill my mind,*
 your consolations cheer my soul.
Can a corrupt tribunal have any part with you,*
 one which frames evil into law?
They conspire against the life of the just*
 and condemn the innocent to death.
But the Lord has become my stronghold,*
 and my God the rock of my trust.
He will turn their wickedness back upon them
   and destroy them in their own malice;*
 the Lord our God will destroy them.

FIRST READING [Genesis 19:1-3, 12-17, 24-28]:

The two angels came to Sodom in the evening, and Lot was sitting in the gateway of Sodom. When Lot saw them, he rose to meet them, and bowed down with his face to the ground. He said, ?Please, my lords, turn aside to your servant?s house and spend the night, and wash your feet; then you can rise early and go on your way.? They said, ?No; we will spend the night in the square.? But he urged them strongly; so they turned aside to him and entered his house; and he made them a feast, and baked unleavened bread, and they ate.

Then the men said to Lot, ?Have you anyone else here? Sons-in-law, sons, daughters, or anyone you have in the city?bring them out of the place. For we are about to destroy this place, because the outcry against its people has become great before the Lord, and the Lord has sent us to destroy it.? So Lot went out and said to his sons-in-law, who were to marry his daughters, ?Up, get out of this place; for the Lord is about to destroy the city.? But he seemed to his sons-in-law to be jesting.

When morning dawned, the angels urged Lot, saying, ?Get up, take your wife and your two daughters who are here, or else you will be consumed in the punishment of the city.? But he lingered; so the men seized him and his wife and his two daughters by the hand, the Lord being merciful to him, and they brought him out and left him outside the city. When they had brought them outside, they said, ?Flee for your life; do not look back or stop anywhere in the Plain; flee to the hills, or else you will be consumed.?

Then the Lord rained on Sodom and Gomorrah sulphur and fire from the Lord out of heaven; and he overthrew those cities, and all the Plain, and all the inhabitants of the cities, and what grew on the ground. But Lot?s wife, behind him, looked back, and she became a pillar of salt.

Abraham went early in the morning to the place where he had stood before the Lord; and he looked down towards Sodom and Gomorrah and towards all the land of the Plain, and saw the smoke of the land going up like the smoke of a furnace.

HYMN
Words: Charles Wesley (1707-1788)
Meter: 66 66 88 (Suggested: Croft?s 136th, Darwall?s 148th, Christchurch, Old 136th)

Ye ransomed souls draw near
The throne of Christ, your Lord,
And wait till He appear
According to His word;
Rejoice in hope, rejoice with me;
We shall from all our sins be free.

In God we put our trust:
If we our sins confess,
Faithful is He, and just
>From all unrighteousness
To cleanse us all, that gladly we
May soon from all our sins be free.

The word of God is sure,
And never can remove;
We shall in heart be pure,
And perfected in love.
Rejoice in hope, and claim with me
That Christ from all our sins sets free.

Then let us gladly bring
Our sacrifice of praise,
Let us give thanks and sing,
And glory in His grace;
Rejoice in hope, rejoice with me;
We now from all our sins are free.

SECOND READING [John 8:1-11]:

Jesus went unto the mount of Olives. And early in the morning he came again into the temple, and all the people came unto him; and he sat down, and taught them. And the scribes and Pharisees brought unto him a woman taken in adultery; and when they had set her in the midst, They say unto him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act. Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou? This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not. So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her. And again he stooped down, and wrote on the ground. And they which heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst. When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee? She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.

Lord, open a path for your Word
To declare the mystery of Christ.

Turn now, O God of hosts;
Behold and tend the vine you have planted.

May your people rejoice and sing,
And your ministers be clothed with salvation.

May they stand and feed your flock
In the strength of your name.

Keep from trouble all those who trust in you
And forget not the poor for ever.

Have mercy, O Lord, upon us,
As we have put our hope in you.

Inspire our actions, Lord,
sustain them and grant them success;
so that in you may be found
the beginning and the end
of everything we undertake.
We ask this through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

May the God of peace
make us holy in every way
and keep our whole being--
spirit, soul, and body--
free from every fault
at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. Amen.

prayers in _Book of Common Worship_, (c) 1993 Westminster
/ John Knox Press.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is from _Book of Common Worship_, (c) 1993 Westminster / John Knox Press. The closing sentence is 1 Thessalonians 5:23, adapted.