OREMUS: 29 June 2011

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue Jun 28 17:00:01 GMT 2011

OREMUS for June 29
Saint Peter and Saint Paul, Apostles

Blessed are you, almighty God, eternal Word:
your holy Apostles, Peter and Paul,
fill us with praise for your plan of salvation.
Peter it was who first professed the faith
and Paul who unfolded it for our understanding.
Peter brought together the earliest Church
from the remnant of Israel's flock,
while Paul became your interpreter,
the teacher of gentiles whom you had called.
Each in his way gathered one people for Christ;
and one martyr's crown they shared
and are honoured as one throughout the world.

O Lord, I call to you; come to me quickly;*
 hear my voice when I cry to you.
Let my prayer be set forth in your sight as incense,*
 the lifting up of my hands as the evening sacrifice.
Set a watch before my mouth, O Lord,
   and guard the door of my lips;*
 let not my heart incline to any evil thing.
Let me not be occupied in wickedness with evildoers,*
 nor eat of their choice foods.
Let the righteous smite me in friendly rebuke;
   let not the oil of the unrighteous anoint my head;*
 for my prayer is continually against their wicked deeds.
Let their rulers be overthrown in stony places,*
 that they may know my words are true.
As when a plough turns over the earth in furrows,*
 let their bones be scattered at the mouth of the grave.
But my eyes are turned to you, Lord God;*
 in you I take refuge; do not strip me of my life.
Protect me from the snare which they have laid for me*
 and from the traps of the evildoers.
Let the wicked fall into their own nets,*
 while I myself escape.

Psalm 142

I cry to the Lord with my voice;*
 to the Lord I make loud supplication.
I pour out my complaint before him*
 and tell him all my trouble.
When my spirit languishes within me, you know my path;*
 in the way wherein I walk they have hidden a trap for me.
I look to my right hand and find no one who knows me;*
 I have no place to flee to and no one cares for me.
I cry out to you, O Lord;*
 I say, 'You are my refuge,
   my portion in the land of the living.'
Listen to my cry for help,
   for I have been brought very low;*
 save me from those who pursue me,
   for they are too strong for me.
Bring me out of prison,
   that I may give thanks to your name;*
 when you have dealt bountifully with me,
   the righteous will gather around me.

Psalm 143

Lord, hear my prayer,
   and in your faithfulness heed my supplications;*
 answer me in your righteousness.
Enter not into judgement with your servant,*
 for in your sight shall no one living be justified.
For my enemy has sought my life
   and has crushed me to the ground;*
 making me live in dark places
   like those who are long dead.
My spirit faints within me;*
 my heart within me is desolate.
I remember the time past;
   I muse upon all your deeds;*
 I consider the works of your hands.
I spread out my hands to you;*
 my soul gasps to you like a thirsty land.
O Lord, make haste to answer me; my spirit fails me;*
 do not hide your face from me
   or I shall be like those who go down to the Pit.
Let me hear of your lovingkindness in the morning,
   for I put my trust in you;*
 show me the road that I must walk,
   for I lift up my soul to you.
Deliver me from my enemies, O Lord,*
 for I flee to you for refuge.
Teach me to do what pleases you, for you are my God;*
 let your good Spirit lead me on level ground.
Revive me, O Lord, for your name's sake;*
 for your righteousness' sake, bring me out of trouble.

FIRST READING [Jeremiah 30.12–22]:

For thus says the Lord:
Your hurt is incurable,
   your wound is grievous.
There is no one to uphold your cause,
   no medicine for your wound,
   no healing for you.
All your lovers have forgotten you;
   they care nothing for you;
for I have dealt you the blow of an enemy,
   the punishment of a merciless foe,
because your guilt is great,
   because your sins are so numerous.
Why do you cry out over your hurt?
   Your pain is incurable.
Because your guilt is great,
   because your sins are so numerous,
   I have done these things to you.
Therefore all who devour you shall be devoured,
   and all your foes, every one of them, shall go into captivity;
those who plunder you shall be plundered,
   and all who prey on you I will make a prey.
For I will restore health to you,
   and your wounds I will heal,
says the Lord,
because they have called you an outcast:
   'It is Zion; no one cares for her!'

Thus says the Lord:
I am going to restore the fortunes of the tents of Jacob,
   and have compassion on his dwellings;
the city shall be rebuilt upon its mound,
   and the citadel set on its rightful site.
Out of them shall come thanksgiving,
   and the sound of merrymakers.
I will make them many, and they shall not be few;
   I will make them honoured, and they shall not be disdained.
Their children shall be as of old,
   their congregation shall be established before me;
   and I will punish all who oppress them.
Their prince shall be one of their own,
   their ruler shall come from their midst;
I will bring him near, and he shall approach me,
   for who would otherwise dare to approach me?
says the Lord.
And you shall be my people,
   and I will be your God.

HYMN
Words: Aurea luce, attributed to Elphis wife of Boethius (fl.493) translated by Thomas A
Lacey (1853-1931)
Tune: Annue Christe

With golden splendour and with roseate hues of morn,
O gracious Saviour, Light of light, this day adorn,
Which brings to ransomed sinners hopes of that far home
Where saints and angels sing the praise of martyrdom.

Lo, the Keybearer, lo, the Teacher of mankind,
Lights of the world and judges sent to loose and bind,
Alike triumphant or by cross or sword-stroke found,
In life's high Senate stand with victor's laurel crowned.

Good Shepherd, Peter, unto whom the charge was given
To close or open ways of pilgrimage to heaven,
In sin's hard bondage held may we have grace to know
The full remission thou wast granted to bestow.

O noble Teacher, Paul, we trust to learn of thee
Both earthly converse and the flight of ecstasy;
Till from the fading truths that now we know in part
We pass to fulness of delight for mind and heart.

Twin olive branches, pouring oil of gladness forth,
Your prayers shall aid us, that for all our little worth,
Believing, hoping, loving, we for whom ye plead,
This body dying, may attain to life indeed.

Now to the glorious Trinity be duly paid
Worship and honour, praise and service unafraid,
Who in unchanging Unity, one Lord sublime,
Hath ever lived as now and to unending time.

SECOND READING [Acts 11:1-18]:

Now the apostles and the believers who were in Judea heard that the Gentiles had also accepted the word of God. So when Peter went up to Jerusalem, the circumcised believers criticized him, saying, 'Why did you go to uncircumcised men and eat with them?' Then Peter began to explain it to them, step by step, saying, 'I was in the city of Joppa praying, and in a trance I saw a vision. There was something like a large sheet coming down from heaven, being lowered by its four corners; and it came close to me. As I looked at it closely I saw four-footed animals, beasts of prey, reptiles, and birds of the air. I also heard a voice saying to me, "Get up, Peter; kill and eat." But I replied, "By no means, Lord; for nothing profane or unclean has ever entered my mouth." But a second time the voice answered from heaven, "What God has made clean, you must not call profane." This happened three times; then everything was pulled up again to heaven. At that very moment three men, sent to me from Caesarea, arrived at the house where we were. The Spirit told me to go with them and not to make a distinction between them and us. These six brothers also accompanied me, and we entered the man's house. He told us how he had seen the angel standing in his house and saying, "Send to Joppa and bring Simon, who is called Peter; he will give you a message by which you and your entire household will be saved." And as I began to speak, the Holy Spirit fell upon them just as it had upon us at the beginning. And I remembered the word of the Lord, how he had said, "John baptized with water, but you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit." If then God gave them the same gift that he gave us when we believed in the Lord Jesus Christ, who was I that I could hinder God?' When they heard this, they were silenced. And they praised God, saying, 'Then God has given even to the Gentiles the repentance that leads to life.'

Encouraged by our fellowship with all the saints,
let us make our prayers to the Father through our Lord
Jesus Christ.

Father, your Son called men and women to leave the
past behind them and to follow him as his disciples in
the way of the cross.  Look with mercy upon those whom he
has called today, marked with the cross and made his
disciples within the Church.
     Lord have mercy.
     Christ have mercy.

Your Son told his disciples not to be afraid, and at
Easter breathed on them his gift of peace.  Look with
mercy upon the world into which he sent them out, and
give it that peace for which it longs
     Lord have mercy.
     Christ have mercy.

Your Son formed around him a company who were no
longer servants but friends, and he called all those who
obeyed him his brother and sister and mother.  Look with
mercy upon our families and friends and upon the
communities in which we share
     Lord have mercy.
     Christ have mercy.

Your Son sent out disciples to preach and to heal the
sick.  Look with mercy on all those who yearn to hear the
good news of salvation, and renew among your people the
gifts of healing
     Lord have mercy.
     Christ have mercy.

Your Son promised to those who followed him that they
would sit on thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel
and would share the banquet of the kingdom.  According to
your promise, look with mercy on those who have walked
with Christ in this life and now have passed through
death
     Lord have mercy.
     Christ have mercy.

Pursuing, shepherding, and converting God,
your risen Son appeared to both Peter and Paul,
undoing their past,
claiming them for the work of your Church,
spilling them out as witnesses to a deeper love.
Undo and claim us,
that we too may finish the race
you set before us in Christ Jesus. Amen.

Continually transform us as you look on us, Lord,
that your power may be at its fullest in our weakness;
that in union with the apostles
we shall glorify our God and Father for ever.  Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving and closing sentence are by Alan Griffiths.
The intercession is from _Enriching the Christian Year_  SPCK,
compilation (c)Michael Perham 1993.

The collect is reprinted from _THE DAILY OFFICE: A Book of Hours
of Daily Prayer after the Use of the Order of Saint Luke_, (c) 1997
by The Order of Saint Luke. Used by permission.

Peter has often been called the 'Prince of the Apostles' because of the words of Jesus re-naming him, from Simon to Cephas. This was the Aramaic form of the Greek word Peter, which means 'rock'. Jesus said that on this rock he would build his Church. But both Peter and Paul came to be seen as having different rôles to play within the leadership of the Church: Peter in witnessing to the Lordship of Christ and Paul in developing an understanding of its meaning for Christ's followers. Peter and Paul have been remembered jointly on this day since the very early days of the Church, it being regarded as the anniversary of their martyrdom in Rome in about the year 64. [Exciting Holiness]