OREMUS: 23 June 2011

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Jun 22 17:30:07 GMT 2011

OREMUS for June 23
Corpus Christi

Most merciful Lord,
your love compels us to come in.
Our hands were unclean,
our hearts were unprepared;
we were not fit even to eat the crumbs from under your table.
But you, Lord, are the God of our salvation,
and share your bread with sinners,
cleansing and feeding us
with the precious Body and Blood of your Son,
that he may live in us and we in him;
and that we, with the whole company of Christ,
may sit and eat in your kingdom.

   When Israel came out of Egypt,*
 the house of Jacob from a people of strange speech,
Judah became God's sanctuary*
 and Israel his dominion.
The sea beheld it and fled;*
 Jordan turned and went back.
The mountains skipped like rams,*
 and the little hills like young sheep.
What ailed you, O sea, that you fled?*
 O Jordan, that you turned back?
You mountains, that you skipped like rams?*
 you little hills like young sheep?
Tremble, O earth, at the presence of the Lord,*
 at the presence of the God of Jacob,
Who turned the hard rock into a pool of water*
 and flintstone into a flowing spring.

Psalm 115

Not to us, O Lord, not to us,
   but to your name give glory;*
 because of your love and because of your faithfulness.
Why should the heathen say,*
 'Where then is their God?'
Our God is in heaven;*
 whatever he wills to do he does.
Their idols are silver and gold,*
 the work of human hands.
They have mouths, but they cannot speak;*
 eyes have they, but they cannot see;
They have ears, but they cannot hear;*
 noses, but they cannot smell;
They have hands, but they cannot feel;
   feet, but they cannot walk;*
 they make no sound with their throat.
Those who make them are like them,*
 and so are all who put their trust in them.
O Israel, trust in the Lord;*
 he is their help and their shield.
O house of Aaron, trust in the Lord;*
 he is their help and their shield.
You who fear the Lord, trust in the Lord;*
 he is their help and their shield.
The Lord has been mindful of us and he will bless us;*
 he will bless the house of Israel;
   he will bless the house of Aaron;
He will bless those who fear the Lord,*
 both small and great together.
May the Lord increase you more and more,*
 you and your children after you.
May you be blessed by the Lord,*
 the maker of heaven and earth.
The heaven of heavens is the Lord's,*
 but he entrusted the earth to its peoples.
The dead do not praise the Lord,*
 nor all those who go down into silence;
But we will bless the Lord,*
 from this time forth for evermore.
   Alleluia!

FIRST READING [Job 42]:

Then Job answered the Lord:
'I know that you can do all things,
   and that no purpose of yours can be thwarted.
"Who is this that hides counsel without knowledge?"
Therefore I have uttered what I did not understand,
   things too wonderful for me, which I did not know.
"Hear, and I will speak;
   I will question you, and you declare to me."
I had heard of you by the hearing of the ear,
   but now my eye sees you;
therefore I despise myself,
   and repent in dust and ashes.'
 After the Lord had spoken these words to Job, the Lord said to Eliphaz the Temanite: 'My wrath is kindled against you and against your two friends; for you have not spoken of me what is right, as my servant Job has. Now therefore take seven bulls and seven rams, and go to my servant Job, and offer up for yourselves a burnt-offering; and my servant Job shall pray for you, for I will accept his prayer not to deal with you according to your folly; for you have not spoken of me what is right, as my servant Job has done.' So Eliphaz the Temanite and Bildad the Shuhite and Zophar the Naamathite went and did what the Lord had told them; and the Lord accepted Job's prayer.
 And the Lord restored the fortunes of Job when he had prayed for his friends; and the Lord gave Job twice as much as he had before. Then there came to him all his brothers and sisters and all who had known him before, and they ate bread with him in his house; they showed him sympathy and comforted him for all the evil that the Lord had brought upon him; and each of them gave him a piece of money and a gold ring. The Lord blessed the latter days of Job more than his beginning; and he had fourteen thousand sheep, six thousand camels, a thousand yoke of oxen, and a thousand donkeys. He also had seven sons and three daughters. He named the first Jemimah, the second Keziah, and the third Keren-happuch. In all the land there were no women so beautiful as Job's daughters; and their father gave them an inheritance along with their brothers. After this Job lived for one hundred and forty years, and saw his children, and his children's children, four generations. And Job died, old and full of days.

HYMN
Words: Carl P. Daw, Jr. (c)
Tune: St. Thomas (Wade), Pange lingua

With the body that was broken,
to the body who proclaim,
by the blood that is life's token,
for the life found in his name:
so the Word-made-flesh has spoken,
and his presence here we claim.

In the cross of Christ confiding,
by the cross we bear as sign,
through the Spirit's gifts and guiding,
with these gifts of bread and wine:
so the church in faith abiding
keeps the feast Christ made divine.

Fed by breaking and outpouring,
joined in breaking-forth of praise,
given the peace of God's restoring,
sent in peace to live always:
so we show forth our adoring
as God's servants all our days.

SECOND READING [Luke 8.26–39]:

Then Jesus and the disciples arrived at the country of the Gerasenes, which is opposite Galilee. As he stepped out on land, a man of the city who had demons met him. For a long time he had worn no clothes, and he did not live in a house but in the tombs. When he saw Jesus, he fell down before him and shouted at the top of his voice, 'What have you to do with me, Jesus, Son of the Most High God? I beg you, do not torment me'— for Jesus had commanded the unclean spirit to come out of the man. (For many times it had seized him; he was kept under guard and bound with chains and shackles, but he would break the bonds and be driven by the demon into the wilds.) Jesus then asked him, 'What is your name?' He said, 'Legion'; for many demons had entered him. They begged him not to order them to go back into the abyss.

Now there on the hillside a large herd of swine was feeding; and the demons begged Jesus to let them enter these. So he gave them permission. Then the demons came out of the man and entered the swine, and the herd rushed down the steep bank into the lake and was drowned.

When the swineherds saw what had happened, they ran off and told it in the city and in the country. Then people came out to see what had happened, and when they came to Jesus, they found the man from whom the demons had gone sitting at the feet of Jesus, clothed and in his right mind. And they were afraid. Those who had seen it told them how the one who had been possessed by demons had been healed. Then all the people of the surrounding country of the Gerasenes asked Jesus to leave them; for they were seized with great fear. So he got into the boat and returned. The man from whom the demons had gone begged that he might be with him; but Jesus sent him away, saying, 'Return to your home, and declare how much God has done for you.' So he went away, proclaiming throughout the city how much Jesus had done for him.

Let us remember with thanksgiving
the gracious gifts of our God,
who feeds us and sustains us in all our days.

You feed your Church
through the continual grace of the sacraments.
Keep us faithful to our calling
to continue in the apostles' teaching and fellowship,
in the breaking of bread,
and in the prayers.
Generous God of mercy,
hear our prayer.

You sustain your Church throughout the world
with the sacrament of your Body and Blood.
Send us out into the world to proclaim
by word and example the Good News of God in Christ.
Generous God of mercy,
hear our prayer.

Your living Word calls us to hunger and thirst for righteousness.
Help us to overcome divisions and prejudice,
that we may strive for justice and peace among all people,
and respect the dignity of every human being.
Generous God of mercy,
hear our prayer.

Faithful God,
you have made a covenant with your people
through your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord,
who offered his Body and Blood for us:
Grant that we who receive Christ in these holy mysteries
may also reverence him in the needy of the world
and by lives dedicated to the service of that kingdom,
where he lives and reigns for ever and ever. Amen.

May the Father, who fed his children
with bread and honey in the wilderness,
strengthen us in our pilgrimage to the Promised Land. Amen.

prayers in _New Patterns for Worship_, copyright (c) The
Archbishops' Council, 2002.

The intercession is by Stephen Benner.

The collect is by Stephen Benner and uses phrases from two prayers in
_Opening Prayers: Collects in Contemporary Language_. (c)
International Commission on English in the Liturgy, 1997.

Hymn  (c) 1989 by Hope Publishing Co., Carol Stream, IL  60188.
For permission to reproduce this hymn, contact:  Hope Publishing Company,
www.hopepublishing.com