OREMUS: 17 June 2011

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu Jun 16 17:00:00 GMT 2011

OREMUS for June 17

Blessed are you, Lord,
the help of the helpless,
the hope of those past hope,
the savior of those tossed by tempests,
the harbor of the voyager,
the physician of the sick.
You are all things to us,
you know each of us and our need,
and receive us all into your kingdom,
making us children of light.

Psalm 89, Part I
Your love, O Lord, for ever will I sing;*
 from age to age my mouth will proclaim your faithfulness.
For I am persuaded that your love is established for ever;*
 you have set your faithfulness firmly in the heavens.
'I have made a covenant with my chosen one;*
 I have sworn an oath to David my servant:
'"I will establish your line for ever,*
 and preserve your throne for all generations."'
The heavens bear witness to your wonders, O Lord,*
 and to your faithfulness in the assembly of the holy ones;
For who in the skies can be compared to the Lord?*
 who is like the Lord among the gods?
God is much to be feared in the council of the holy ones,*
 great and terrible to all those round about him.
Who is like you, Lord God of hosts?*

 O mighty Lord, your faithfulness is all around you.
You rule the raging of the sea*
 and still the surging of its waves.
You have crushed Rahab of the deep with a deadly wound;*
 you have scattered your enemies with your mighty arm.
Yours are the heavens; the earth also is yours;*
 you laid the foundations of the world
   and all that is in it.
You have made the north and the south;*
 Tabor and Hermon rejoice in your name.
You have a mighty arm;*
 strong is your hand and high is your right hand.
Righteousness and justice
   are the foundations of your throne;*
 love and truth go before your face.
Happy are the people who know the festal shout!*
 they walk, O Lord, in the light of your presence.
They rejoice daily in your name;*
 they are jubilant in your righteousness.
For you are the glory of their strength,*
 and by your favour our might is exalted.
Truly, the Lord is our ruler;*
 the Holy One of Israel is our king.
You spoke once in a vision
   and said to your faithful people:*
 'I have set the crown upon a warrior
   and have exalted one chosen out of the people.
'I have found David my servant;*
 with my holy oil have I anointed him.
'My hand will hold him fast*
 and my arm will make him strong.
'No enemy shall deceive him,*
 nor the wicked bring him down.
'I will crush his foes before him*
 and strike down those who hate him.
'My faithfulness and love shall be with him,*
 and he shall be victorious through my name.
'I shall make his dominion extend*
 from the Great Sea to the River.
'He will say to me, "You are my Father,*
 my God and the rock of my salvation."
'I will make him my firstborn*
 and higher than the kings of the earth.
'I will keep my love for him for ever,*
 and my covenant will stand firm for him.

'I will establish his line for ever*
 and his throne as the days of heaven.
'If his children forsake my law*
 and do not walk according to my judgements;
'If they break my statutes*
 and do not keep my commandments;
'I will punish their transgressions with a rod*
 and their iniquities with the lash;
'But I will not take my love from him,*
 nor let my faithfulness prove false.
'I will not break my covenant,*
 nor change what has gone out of my lips.
'Once for all I have sworn by my holiness:*
 "I will not lie to David.
'"His line shall endure for ever*
 and his throne as the sun before me;
'"It shall stand fast for evermore like the moon,*
 the abiding witness in the sky."'
But you have cast off and rejected your anointed;*
 you have become enraged at him.
You have broken your covenant with your servant,*
 defiled his crown and hurled it to the ground.
You have breached all his walls*
 and laid his strongholds in ruins.
All who pass by despoil him;*
 he has become the scorn of his neighbours.
You have exalted the right hand of his foes*
 and made all his enemies rejoice.
You have turned back the edge of his sword*
 and have not sustained him in battle.
You have put an end to his splendour*
 and cast his throne to the ground.
You have cut short the days of his youth*
 and have covered him with shame.
How long will you hide yourself, O Lord?
   will you hide yourself for ever?*
 how long will your anger burn like fire?
Remember, Lord, how short life is,*
 how frail you have made all flesh.
Who can live and not see death?*
 who can save himself from the power of the grave?
Where, Lord, are your lovingkindnesses of old,*
 which you promised David in your faithfulness?
Remember, Lord, how your servant is mocked,*
 how I carry in my bosom the taunts of many peoples,
The taunts your enemies have hurled, O Lord,*
 which they hurled at the heels of your anointed.
Blessed be the Lord for evermore!*
 Amen, I say, Amen.

FIRST READING [Job 32]:

So these three men ceased to answer Job, because he was righteous in his own eyes. Then Elihu son of Barachel the Buzite, of the family of Ram, became angry. He was angry at Job because he justified himself rather than God; he was angry also at Job's three friends because they had found no answer, though they had declared Job to be in the wrong. Now Elihu had waited to speak to Job, because they were older than he. But when Elihu saw that there was no answer in the mouths of these three men, he became angry.

Elihu son of Barachel the Buzite answered:
'I am young in years,
   and you are aged;
therefore I was timid and afraid
   to declare my opinion to you.
I said, "Let days speak,
   and many years teach wisdom."
But truly it is the spirit in a mortal,
   the breath of the Almighty, that makes for understanding.
It is not the old that are wise,
   nor the aged that understand what is right.
Therefore I say, "Listen to me;
   let me also declare my opinion."

'See, I waited for your words,
   I listened for your wise sayings,
   while you searched out what to say.
I gave you my attention,
   but there was in fact no one that confuted Job,
   no one among you that answered his words.
Yet do not say, "We have found wisdom;
   God may vanquish him, not a human."
He has not directed his words against me,
   and I will not answer him with your speeches.

'They are dismayed, they answer no more;
   they have not a word to say.
And am I to wait, because they do not speak,
   because they stand there, and answer no more?
I also will give my answer;
   I also will declare my opinion.
For I am full of words;
   the spirit within me constrains me.
My heart is indeed like wine that has no vent;
   like new wineskins, it is ready to burst.
I must speak, so that I may find relief;
   I must open my lips and answer.
I will not show partiality to any person
   or use flattery towards anyone.
For I do not know how to flatter—
   or my Maker would soon put an end to me!

HYMN
Words: Jean Baptiste de Santeüil (Santolius Victorinus) (1630-1697)  Isaac Williams (1802-1865)
Tune: Hanover, Old 104th

Disposer supreme, and judge of the earth,
who choosest for thine the meek and the poor;
to frail earthen vessels, and things of no worth,
entrusting thy riches which ay shall endure;

Those vessels soon fail, though full of thy light,
and at thy decree are broken and gone;
thence brightly appeareth thy truth in its might,
as through the clouds riven the lightnings have shone.

Like clouds are they borne to do thy great will,
and swift as the winds about the world go:
the Word with his wisdom their spirits doth fill;
they thunder, they lighten, the waters o'erflow.

Their sound goeth forth, 'Christ Jesus the Lord!'
then Satan doth fear, his citadels fall;
as when the dread trumpets went forth at thy word,
and one long blast shattered the Canaanite's wall.

O loud be their trump, and stirring their sound,
to rouse us, O Lord, from slumber of sin:
the lights thou hast kindled in darkness around,
O may they awaken our spirits within.

All honour and praise, dominion and might,
to God, Three in One, eternally be,
who round us hath shed his own marvellous light,
and called us from darkness his glory to see.

SECOND READING [Luke 6.39–end]:

Jesus also told them a parable: 'Can a blind person guide a blind person? Will not both fall into a pit? A disciple is not above the teacher, but everyone who is fully qualified will be like the teacher. Why do you see the speck in your neighbour's eye, but do not notice the log in your own eye? Or how can you say to your neighbour, "Friend, let me take out the speck in your eye", when you yourself do not see the log in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your neighbour's eye.

'No good tree bears bad fruit, nor again does a bad tree bear good fruit; for each tree is known by its own fruit. Figs are not gathered from thorns, nor are grapes picked from a bramble bush. The good person out of the good treasure of the heart produces good, and the evil person out of evil treasure produces evil; for it is out of the abundance of the heart that the mouth speaks.

 'Why do you call me "Lord, Lord", and do not do what I tell you? I will show you what someone is like who comes to me, hears my words, and acts on them. That one is like a man building a house, who dug deeply and laid the foundation on rock; when a flood arose, the river burst against that house but could not shake it, because it had been well built. But the one who hears and does not act is like a man who built a house on the ground without a foundation. When the river burst against it, immediately it fell, and great was the ruin of that house.'

God of the apostles and martyrs,
we thank you for the hope that is from the beginning.
We bless you for the good news of Jesus
crucified, risen, and interceding for us
until his coming again in glory.

We commend to your care
all who walk and weep in grief and regret.

We pray in hope of your mercy.

We commend to you
all who live far from your image.
We pray in hope of your salvation.

We commend Holy Church,
We pray in hope of your glory.

We commend to your justice all peoples
who participate in oppression, strife and domination of others.
We pray in hope of your justice and peace.

We commend to you all who have died.
We pray in hope of your resurrection.

We commend to you our unfinished business.
We pray in hope of rest in you.

O God, you are the tree of life,
offering shelter to all the world.
Graft us into yourself and nurture our growth,
that we may bear your truth and love to those in need,
through Jesus Christ, our Savior and Lord. Amen.

May we welcome with meekness
the implanted word
that has the power to save our souls. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is from the Liturgy of St. Basil. The collect is from _Evangelical Lutheran Worship_, (c) 2006 Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. The closing sentence is James 1:21